Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can we run the ball against Texa$?

Started by Piglet Dispersion Syndrome, December 19, 2014, 01:06:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

How does "them that know" think we will do running the ball
Against the shorthorns?

How many yards would u predict? Is there a defense this year we have faced that statistically are similar to Texas?

I personally think we will be effective because we've shown when we are rested and healthy we can be a dominant run team. I expect to see some of what we were able to early in the year.

See u in Houston!

#WPS.  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

PorkRinds

Their inside guys are pretty good at stopping the run.  We will probably have some success, with both our guys being fresh.  But IMO we have to pass to win this game, or the defense will have to score some points.

The_Iceman

bigred223

They are ok at stopping the run, but they didn't dominate anybody this year in that facet. BYU shredded them. I doubt they've played a front like ours this year; so I think we should run for 200+ without too much trouble.

31to6

Quote from: bigred223 on December 19, 2014, 01:59:33 pm
They are ok at stopping the run, but they didn't dominate anybody this year in that facet. BYU shredded them. I doubt they've played a front like ours this year; so I think we should run for 200+ without too much trouble.
We averaged 185 ypg against Power-5 opponents and 152 ypg against the SEC.

If we run for 200+ that spells a blowout.

If we run for under 150 that would be bad news (or at least a close 4th quarter type game).

SPAL

Probably not. Their defense is comparable to some we've had a hard time with. If we can't make some passes, it's going to be tough sledding.

GolfnHog

I'm inclined to believe that the Hogs can be successful in the run game. Hell, we played against some of the very best run defenses in the country in league play and held our own. albeit, at times it was teeth pulling painful to watch some of the particular play calling in certain situations.

Do we have instant success? Probably not, but if the O line continues to pound away each and every play after about the first quarter and a half, the holes should  be there.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Sooie71923

We ll get some yards. We usually do. 

Where this "run team" has failed is getting the 3rd and short or 4th and short all year.  It'll be interesting to see if our OLine can finally man up and get the push needed for short yardage.

Fayettechill14

Don't expect 200, but I think we'll be able to push them around a little bit. Especially late, they have no depth up front.

bigred223

Only reason we didn't rush for more yardage was because we were too busy throwing the ball for some odd reason.

hollywood hog

Can Arkan$a$ throw the ball will be the difference maker. 

The_Bionic_Pig

A healthy Brandon can/will get the ball to Hunter Henry
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

RussVegas Hawg

DLUXHOG

No issue.... They aren't the Longhorn's your grandpa was afraid of....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

razorbackkid

We'll pass early and run late.  At halftime the score we be around 24-3.  Mid way thru the fourth quarter it will be 34-17......end of game it will be 34-27.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Sportster365

On average Texas' defense gave up 162 rushing yds a game. That placed them 66th nationally in rushing defense.

And just to give you somewhat of an idea of how that would stack up on a field, Arkansas' rush defense was #22 in the country allowing only 124 yds pg.

Since the BIGXII really a pass happy conference, most of their time was probably spent focusing on slowing down those spread offenses. Against us, Charlie Strong will likely have a different approach. Play the run and force Brandon Allen to make plays through the air.

It will be interesting either way... but I really like our chances running the ball against them. I don't think they've faced a team this year that will be as physical on the front line as Arkansas.

redeye

Oklahoma is probably the team most like Arkansas that Texas has played and they beat them.  Oklahoma finished the year with the 8th best rushing offense, averaging 269 ypg and 6.1 ypc.  Texas held them to 130 yards and a 3.9 ypc average, so we probably won't be running all over them.

Atlhogfan1

Not for all 4 qtrs. unless a passing game that we didn't see this season is found.  BYU ran a very different offense especially before Hill broke his leg.  How they ran the ball or their Big 12 opponents attempted to run the ball on them will not be like how we will do it. 

This game will be decided by our defense against their qb. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jgphillips3

Yes.  They aren't Texas Tech but they aren't Ole Miss either.  They have a good DT that we will need to double but their ends are better at rushing the passer and they will not have seen the type of offense we will hit them with much this year whereas we have seen teams that do everything they do and do it much better than they do.  The game shouldn't be a blow out by any means, but I can see us winning a comfortable 27-17 game.  Maybe 34-17 if we get a cheap late touchdown.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Piglet Dispersion Syndrome on December 19, 2014, 01:06:41 pm
How does "them that know" think we will do running the ball
Against the shorthorns?

How many yards would u predict? Is there a defense this year we have faced that statistically are similar to Texas?

I personally think we will be effective because we've shown when we are rested and healthy we can be a dominant run team. I expect to see some of what we were able to early in the year.

See u in Houston!

#WPS.  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

I believe that Texas is still a team that is searching for their identity. In terms of rushing defense I'll cite these examples.

Against the 4 top ranked rushing offenses in the Big 12 which had an average national ranking in rush offense of #14, they allowed an average of 179 yards per game.

Against the other seven P 5 teams that they played that had an average national ranking in rush offense of #75, they allowed 164.3 yards rushing per game. Just 15 yards per game less though there was an enourmous difference in the quality of the rushing team that they were facing.

It could be that, like a young team that is transitioning, they experience mental/emotional swings of "high's and low's" depending upon who they are playing. But that youth could also make them susceptible to cashing it in if they have a game where an opponent jumps out to a big lead and appears to be dominating them and nothing seems to go right, especially with an offense that has struggled this year and may not be there to step it up a notch for their defense.

If I had to guess, I think that because Strong will play up the history of the Texas-Arkansas angle and because it is being played on Texas ground, and because the last thing that their Seniors want to do is go out with a loss to an old and storied adversary, the Texas defense is going to play a lot more like they did against Baylor, OU, W. Virginia and TCU, than they did against lesser opponents.

Lots of run and pass blitzes to try to minimize our run game and put pressure on BA inthe passing game.

I think this will be a close game, but a close game that we can win if we don't turn the ball over.

But all of that is just my opinion and nothing more.
Go Hogs Go!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: redeye on December 19, 2014, 05:35:05 pm
Oklahoma is probably the team most like Arkansas that Texas has played and they beat them.  Oklahoma finished the year with the 8th best rushing offense, averaging 269 ypg and 6.1 ypc.  Texas held them to 130 yards and a 3.9 ypc average, so we probably won't be running all over them.

Oklahoma isn't remotely similar to Arkansas. The team closest to Arkansas that Texas played is probably UCLA, because at least they use a lot of pro-style.

Hogarusa

I think 150-170 would be positive.  The only P5 team the Hogs have dominated on the line is Texas Tech.  I expect 150-170 yards and 14-21 points scored
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 19, 2014, 05:59:35 pm
I think 150-170 would be positive.  The only P5 team the Hogs have dominated on the line is Texas Tech.  I expect 150-170 yards and 14-21 points scored

I guess we can all do our analysis but if you remove the worst two rushing games that Texas allowed (the #65 ranked rush defense) they still average allowing 148.9 rushing yds per game against an average of the #60.8 ranked rushing teams in the country.

Removing our two best rushing games, we (the #26 ranked rushing offense) averaged 134.3 yards rushing yds per game against an average of the #35.3 ranked rushing defense in the country.

I think we top 170 rushing in this game and maybe run for 200.

We will see.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 19, 2014, 05:56:48 pm
Oklahoma isn't remotely similar to Arkansas. The team closest to Arkansas that Texas played is probably UCLA, because at least they use a lot of pro-style.

I'll take your word for that, because I honestly haven't watched either this year.  My reason for saying it was Oklahoma was because that's what Texas fans have been saying.

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 19, 2014, 05:59:35 pm

I am tending to believe being a bowl game and all we may see a higher scoring game, I'm thinking around 28-31 range and that will be enough. Seems like teams are able to put in a few things unexpected that will put points on the board.

staffhog

I think biggest test will be with our defense.  I think Strong will take a lesson from the mizzou game and try to wear our defense down.

If they can have success in the flats early, they will be able to keep up with us.  They have a similar problem to what we havee inQB position; which ones shows up.  I f Swoopoes can maintain confidence, they will be all we can handle.

As far as our running on them goes, I think we will be strong for 3 quarters and then we will have to hope the D can hold them off. 

Final: Hogs 27   Horns 21

island hog

I am very concerned about running against their front seven. They have excellent linebackers and are seniors in the right spots.  I have watched them a lot and have a ton of respect for their two D tacked.  It's going to be a struggle... Much like the LSU game.. Hopefully it turns out the same.         Hogs 23 horns 20

Fayettechill14

Quote from: redeye on December 19, 2014, 08:56:23 pm
I'll take your word for that, because I honestly haven't watched either this year.  My reason for saying it was Oklahoma was because that's what Texas fans have been saying.

They say that because Oklahoma runs the ball a lot. Oklahoma has a modified Air Raid offense mostly from Pistol with 3 wides and a mobile QB. Not at all similar to ours.

Bubba's Bruisers

It's simple.  We'll need an effective passing game to win.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

elksnort

I believe the hogs will run the ball around their average. I think a more specific and more important question is,
Will the run successfully when it's 3rd and short yardage. 

As physical as everyone talks about the Razorback line it seems as though they got stuffed quite a few times in short yardage.

LZH

I ain't skeered.  They haven't been pounded yet.  Yeah, they have improved just like we have....but I watched UCLA punk them out all over the field.  They're not there yet.  We win by two TD's.

arlhog

If and i mean if we can run the ball effectively against Texas it will be a long night for the orange.   You never know until you play the game, but I think by the 3rd and 4th quarter we are gashing them a bit.   If that happens and our D shows up we win by a pretty big margin.   If they shut our run down, it may be a long day for us. 

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: LZH on December 20, 2014, 06:24:24 pm
I ain't skeered.  They haven't been pounded yet.  Yeah, they have improved just like we have....but I watched UCLA punk them out all over the field.  They're not there yet.  We win by two TD's.

I'm not either.  We can run against anyone.  I think the key is to not turn the ball over.  We can't afford fumbles and picks, especially if we have momentum.

I think we have to play almost mistake-free.

But I think we beat Texass and us old farts will appreciate it much more than the younguns. 
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

TeedupHigh

Quote from: island hog on December 20, 2014, 10:06:02 am
I am very concerned about running against their front seven. They have excellent linebackers and are seniors in the right spots.  I have watched them a lot and have a ton of respect for their two D tacked.  It's going to be a struggle... Much like the LSU game.. Hopefully it turns out the same.         Hogs 23 horns 20

EXCELLANT?  Like us they are 6 & 6  We both are average at best and both are heading in the right direction.  HOGS will get better and better but sadly the horns will too.  CBB and Charley Strong are cut from the same cloth, they are doing it the right way!

Dominicanhog

we'll be determined to try.. when,not if, they crowd the line we'll have to make some passes.. if not we could be in trouble... I hope they make mistakes and we capitalize early because if we get in the 4th in a close game and they are in the box, I won't feel good about our chances.. base solely off our past history.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on December 20, 2014, 06:24:24 pm

2 TDs? Thought you weren't skeered? Not skeered means predicting a 3 TD win.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Lake City Hog

Could we improve our run game by using miss-direction more? I think so.

Prestworthy

I believe the hogs will run the ball well.  They are peaking at the right time and have lots of confidence right now.  Go Hogs!

LZH

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on December 20, 2014, 09:54:05 pm
I'm not either.  We can run against anyone.  I think the key is to not turn the ball over.  We can't afford fumbles and picks, especially if we have momentum.

I think we have to play almost mistake-free.

But I think we beat Texass and us old farts will appreciate it much more than the younguns. 
Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 21, 2014, 11:15:14 am
2 TDs? Thought you weren't skeered? Not skeered means predicting a 3 TD win.  ;)

You guys think I'm playing nice?

Screw the University of Texas and all their athletic program stands for.

OK.....we win 35-10.  How's that?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on December 21, 2014, 11:58:23 am
You guys think I'm playing nice?

Screw the University of Texas and all their athletic program stands for.

OK.....we win 35-10.  How's that?

That's more like it. Showing a whole lotta love for the Hogs!  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 21, 2014, 01:27:27 pm
That's more like it. Showing a whole lotta love for the Hogs!  ;)

I may be fat and out of shape, but I can still take a swing at a Longhorn................

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on December 21, 2014, 01:56:25 pm
I may be fat and out of shape, but I can still take a swing at a Longhorn................

I find at my age swinging is the easy part. Getting up off the ground is a bit harder.   ;D

VT HOG

They will run the ball great in the first half and build a two score lead. Then they will slowly go away from the run until they completly abandon it in the fourth quarter.

bigred223

Dominicanhog

Quote from: VT HOG on December 21, 2014, 05:03:53 pm
They will run the ball great in the first half and build a two score lead. Then they will slowly go away from the run until they completly abandon it in the fourth quarter.

After success in the first half against their run defense, Texas will start creeping men into the box until they are stacked 9 deep in the forth quarter.

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on December 19, 2014, 02:54:02 pm
Don't expect 200, but I think we'll be able to push them around a little bit. Especially late, they have no depth up front.

Hey Chill, any particular run play you think we might feature against their front? Lead draw? Wham? Inside? Outside?