Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T**** Bowl Game Film Study: Razorbacks and Longhorns

Started by Josh Goforth, December 19, 2014, 07:22:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh Goforth

How do you think the Arkansas Offense is preparing for the T**** defense right now, and on the flip side what do you think the Longhorns are focusing on for the Bowl Game?

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/12/19/7381235/bowl-game-film-study-texas-defense

Malcolm Brown on playing Arkansas

" It's not a challenge. You kind of get [excited] about it because you're a defensive tackle and they're running the ball, so that's your chance to get tackles and stuff. It's what we have been waiting on all year, a team to come downhill on us. Our defensive line is pretty good and they have a good offensive line, so we'll just see who wins it in the end."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on December 19, 2014, 07:22:57 am
How do you think the Arkansas Offense is preparing for the T**** defense right now, and on the flip side what do you think the Longhorns are focusing on for the Bowl Game?

http://www.arkansasfight.com/2014/12/19/7381235/bowl-game-film-study-texas-defense

Malcolm Brown on playing Arkansas

" It's not a challenge. You kind of get [excited] about it because you're a defensive tackle and they're running the ball, so that's your chance to get tackles and stuff. It's what we have been waiting on all year, a team to come downhill on us. Our defensive line is pretty good and they have a good offensive line, so we'll just see who wins it in the end."

Brown is a good DT, but the clip you just provided that shows him making one big play was against Okla State, who had a really ineffective O-Line this year. Still, he is a good player that we will have to handle if we expect to run successfully up the middle.
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

He had a lot more than that , I guess need to post all of them. 12.5 tfl in a pass happy league. This wasn't an anomaly he will draw extra attention from the Oline.

Sir Oinksalot

...this is Tx. base against the Big12 passing attacks.  Look for them to flex into a 4-man front against us...
less nickel stuff, playing tighter on the corners and moving their safeties up a bit, imo.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on December 19, 2014, 07:44:04 am
He had a lot more than that , I guess need to post all of them. 12.5 tfl in a pass happy league. This wasn't an anomaly he will draw extra attention from the Oline.

I understand and as I said above, I agree that we will have to handle him if we hope to be successful. But I think it is worth mentioning that since it is a "pass happy" conference as you said, against the top 4 rushing teams in the conference, Oklahoma, Baylor, TCU and W. Virginia, he had a total of 2 TFL and none in three of those games.
Go Hogs Go!

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: jg8417 on December 19, 2014, 07:44:04 am

Actually, I would like to see some highlights of the following games so I can see how Texas was able to stuff their running attacks: BYU, (248 yards), UCLA (217 yards), Kansas (173), Baylor (272), Iowa State (179), and W. Va. (200). I'm especially interested in knowing how the Longhorns were able to shut down the powerful rushing attacks of Kansas and Iowa State to keep them under 200 yards rushing. 

Hawg_Thai'd

I don't care 'bout what the steer thinks about matchups. I'mma tellin' ya that there is a chance either Skipper or Big D is going to line up across from them and punch them in their mouth.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Josh Goforth

Well obviously they didn't shut down any of those games, not sure where you misread that but I do believe early in the game he will be a major factor to deal with. Could be one of those scenarios where he doesn't have a great game trying to not get hurt for the draft etc. He plays a lot like philon.

The Hogfather

Quote from: jg8417 on December 19, 2014, 10:17:54 am
Well obviously they didn't shut down any of those games, not sure where you misread that but I do believe early in the game he will be a major factor to deal with. Could be one of those scenarios where he doesn't have a great game trying to not get hurt for the draft etc. He plays a lot like philon.

We'll dominate his arse.

Fayettechill14

Josh Goforth

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on December 19, 2014, 08:00:46 am
...this is Tx. base against the Big12 passing attacks.  Look for them to flex into a 4-man front against us...
less nickel stuff, playing tighter on the corners and moving their safeties up a bit, imo.
Think you missed the part in the first paragraph where I said they would be in a 43 under mostly against Arkansas. Actually gives him more freedom and a better angle.

Sir Oinksalot

...nope didn't click the link if that's what you mean...

JIHawg

Locutus_of_Boar

Careful what you wish for.

Strong's defense is not "bend but don't break.  It's all or nothing and Brown is the tip of that spear.  Arkansas will take him head on.

He will make tackles for loss.  He's also going to be passed by JWill and AC on their way to the Texas secondary and end zone.  Hogs run offense will see more big gains than it has since Tech or A&M.  It won't be 68 runs like it was in Lubbock but it will be substantially more than the 35 or so against SEC defenses probably around 45-50 runs and 20-25 passes.

With Texas hamstrung with an unstable QB the objective is to play field position, avoid penalties and  turnovers and especially BA challenging a good secondary and hammer away at the pride of the Texas defense and ultimately score more points on the big plays Arkansas makes than worry about the stops Mr. Brown can get.

Hawg_Thai'd

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 19, 2014, 11:10:03 pm

Strong's defense is not "bend but don't break.  It's all or nothing and Brown is the tip of that spear.  Arkansas will take him head on.

He will make tackles for loss.  He's also going to be passed by JWill and AC on their way to the Texas secondary and end zone.  Hogs run offense will see more big gains than it has since Tech or A&M.  It won't be 68 runs like it was in Lubbock but it will be substantially more than the 35 or so against SEC defenses probably around 45-50 runs and 20-25 passes.

With Texas hamstrung with an unstable QB the objective is to play field position, avoid penalties and  turnovers and especially BA challenging a good secondary and hammer away at the pride of the Texas defense and ultimately score more points on the big plays Arkansas makes than worry about the stops Mr. Brown can get.

This is how I would like to see it play out.
I'm a helluva guy. One of the best, in fact.

Sir Oinksalot

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 19, 2014, 11:10:03 pm

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 19, 2014, 08:02:01 am
I understand and as I said above, I agree that we will have to handle him if we hope to be successful. But I think it is worth mentioning that since it is a "pass happy" conference as you said, against the top 4 rushing teams in the conference, Oklahoma, Baylor, TCU and W. Virginia, he had a total of 2 TFL and none in three of those games.

Maybe, maybe not. He didn't perform well against the higher rated rushing teams that he faced.
Go Hogs Go!

The real Hogules

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 20, 2014, 05:33:13 am
Maybe, maybe not. He didn't perform well against the higher rated rushing teams that he faced.

My honest question (and I really don't know the answer) is how effective/efficient were those rushing teams QB's at mixing in the pass and forcing Texas' defense at playing honest and thus not allowing the Schlonghorns defense to sell out to stopping their rushing attacks?
I firmly believe that Brandon being able to hit open receivers on some play action plays will be a HUGE factor as to how effective our running game will be.
We simply MUST make the Texas defense respect our passing game, if we want clean running lanes for our TB's, IMHO.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!