Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redshirt Players

Started by Razorback_Mack, December 18, 2014, 07:33:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback_Mack

I think they should be allowed to play in bowl games without losing any eligibility. It would help young players develop better and it would help college football.

Just because a player isn't ready in late August doesn't mean that they couldn't be a contributor 4 months later during bowl season.

I think teams should be allowed to play like 5 redshirt players in the bowl game. It would increase competition in practice immensely. Players like Jojo and Santos Ramirez could help this team.

I honestly can't think of a reason why it's not a good idea. If it helps the players and helps the game it can't be a bad thing.

ricepig

Your last sentence should be your answer, haha.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2014, 07:45:36 pm
Your last sentence should be your answer, haha.
NC double A holes

RickJames

Or according to Boz...National Communists Against Athletes-Welcome to Russia

HogsArePeopleToo

I for many years have been in favor of allowing true freshman to play in the last 3 games or so and retain their redshirt status. I hate it when injuries create a situation where freshmen are put in the position of burning the redshirt to help the team for a single game to two.  Remember the discussion about Rafe Peavey and the Missouri game when it looked possible that BA might not be able to play?  You could keep the limits in place on how many players each team may dress out to ensure that teams don't get an advantage (in numbers) of having the redshirt players available.

razorsharp94

A kid should be able to play in all five years of eligibility instead of five to play four.  That's very similar to the old way that used to say Freshman could not play on the varsity team period.  The situation with Jo Jo Robinson this year where he could have helped the team but was injured for the first few weeks of the season would not happen if there was a five to play five model.  There are situations like this all over the country. 

yraciv

Quote from: razorsharp94 on December 19, 2014, 09:37:17 am
A kid should be able to play in all five years of eligibility instead of five to play four.  That's very similar to the old way that used to say Freshman could not play on the varsity team period.  The situation with Jo Jo Robinson this year where he could have helped the team but was injured for the first few weeks of the season would not happen if there was a five to play five model.  There are situations like this all over the country. 

That is absurd. The student comes before the athlete.  College is supposed to be a 4 year process for students and student athletes, and then they move on with their life.  If you had 5 years of eligibility, there would never be depth issues because all 85 guys would be eligible every game.  Puts Bama even farther ahead of the pack.

longpig

Quote from: razorsharp94 on December 19, 2014, 09:37:17 am

There's already too many kids that have finished school, just playing ball for another year or two. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Hogarusa

How did you come up with 5?  I agree for the most part,  every bowl game is basically a silly exhibition game with the outcome having little to no impact on the season you just completed.  A win gives you a slight bump in the meaningless preseason polls that come out and fans get an extra 3-4 weeks of football talk until April rolls around. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

hogsanity

Should get a 5th year if you are in grad school. You can already transfer without sitting if you are going to grad school.

Not sure what I think about letting redshirts play toward the end of their freshman year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hoggish1

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on December 18, 2014, 07:33:34 pm
I think they should be allowed to play in bowl games without losing any eligibility. It would help young players develop better and it would help college football.

Just because a player isn't ready in late August doesn't mean that they couldn't be a contributor 4 months later during bowl season.

I think teams should be allowed to play like 5 redshirt players in the bowl game. It would increase competition in practice immensely. Players like Jojo and Santos Ramirez could help this team.

I honestly can't think of a reason why it's not a good idea. If it helps the players and helps the game it can't be a bad thing.

There is no reason why it shouldn't be allowed.  Good points!

Hoggish1

Quote from: HogsArePeopleToo on December 18, 2014, 08:48:13 pm
I for many years have been in favor of allowing true freshman to play in the last 3 games or so and retain their redshirt status. I hate it when injuries create a situation where freshmen are put in the position of burning the redshirt to help the team for a single game to two.  Remember the discussion about Rafe Peavey and the Missouri game when it looked possible that BA might not be able to play?  You could keep the limits in place on how many players each team may dress out to ensure that teams don't get an advantage (in numbers) of having the redshirt players available.

Another great suggestion.

I hope this thread is forwarded to the NCAA!  They should be listening to Hogville.

Sarcasm off...