Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long on North End zone expansion

Started by ricepig, December 18, 2014, 03:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Leave it to HV - we'll build the world's finest stadium.

I love reading threads like this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogpkins

Here's the interview.

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/index.php

JL says the priorities are to enhance fan experience and convenience (i.e., fan retention and hopefully some growth).

Building elevators for fans to reach upper deck. Going to lower ticket prices of UD too.

Expanding parking -- he said they are buying property around Razorback to build parking.

The State is paying to expand Razorback and part of Maple to 4 lane to help traffic flow.

Improving sound system.

ricepig

Quote from: Razorback65 on December 18, 2014, 07:37:23 pm
During my time on campus the parking lot just north of the stadium was graveled and commonly known as the finger bowl.

Were there hitching posts?

YtownHog

Would it be possible to turn the entire north endzone to student section?  Then the other two sections normally for students would be better season tickets.  The band could sit in north endzone too and then their sound would blast straight ahead to the entire rest of the stadium. Just tossing around ideas..

Hoggish1

Quote from: threeNout on December 18, 2014, 03:33:39 pm
my first guess is ticket prices.  he knows it's borderline to sell out even a big game now, raising ticket prices won't make it any easier.

So, lower them. Duh...?

Hoggish1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 18, 2014, 03:55:55 pm

The only drawback is that those high dollar seats do not have jumbotron view.  Since we took down the ugly bleachers in nosebleed south side just put another big screen up there.  MSU has two now.  It's going to be the new thing and we don't want to get left behind. 

I don't care how they do it, just fill in the damn N. side.  It's a stupid look as it is now.

Put that jumbotron on the top of the S. end zone and be done with it.

Then you can put another one top of the N. end zone.

DoctorSusscrofa

Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

PonderinHog

All club seats should be added in Little Rock...

3kgthog

A field level suite would be the worst view in the house.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 18, 2014, 09:33:06 pm
A field level suite would be the worst view in the house.

Yeah, I never understood those.

Mike Irwin

The top of the proposed North Endzone project is supposed to be a wide concourse much like the one at Baum Stadium only deeper from front to back. It would be a walkway from the west to east sides but would also be a place where you could stand and BS with your friends.

I hate sitting down to watch a game. That concourse would be a good feature for people that like to move around.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: YtownHog on December 18, 2014, 08:45:38 pm
Would it be possible to turn the entire north endzone to student section?  Then the other two sections normally for students would be better season tickets.  The band could sit in north endzone too and then their sound would blast straight ahead to the entire rest of the stadium. Just tossing around ideas..

Good point.  It would be much more effective visually on TV broadcasts if there students were moved to the NEZ and positioned as close as possible to the field.

Hog_One_Stop

Inhogswetrust

December 19, 2014, 08:37:51 am #63 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:50:05 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ErieHog on December 18, 2014, 06:56:12 pm
Part of the problem may be disability compliance access.   I think we're skirting the bare minimum of handicap accessible seating, as it is,  so it might make sense in that light as well.

I have been intimately involved in ADA compliance issues and lead projects for that in the hotel industry.  When building new or adding on that's easy to do and money you would be spending anyway..........when retrofitting it isn't so easy or cheap.......ask Memphis about the Liberty Bowl, or me about hotels and restaurants or anyone else involved in building or maintenance of.

P.S. There is a belief that ALL and/or all types of service animals have to be allowed anywhere for the person using them. That isn't always the case.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 18, 2014, 09:54:20 pm
The top of the proposed North Endzone project is supposed to be a wide concourse much like the one at Baum Stadium only deeper from front to back. It would be a walkway from the west to east sides but would also be a place where you could stand and BS with your friends.

I hate sitting down to watch a game. That concourse would be a good feature for people that like to move around.

Would it also be a good place for the SEC Network to host their pre-game shows? The stadium as a backdrop would be neat.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2014, 07:24:41 pm
Yeah, probably was. It was a lovely gravel parking lot that went from the front of Barnhill to Meadow St, every football and basketball game we had to clear out.

I remember.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 18, 2014, 07:37:32 pm
Leave it to HV - we'll build the world's finest stadium.

I love reading threads like this.

I've been in quite a few but not all. It is pretty damn good and better the the majority of them on campuses across the country.

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 18, 2014, 06:56:56 pm
There are only two domed stadiums built specifically for a college team that I know of. Neither of which roofs retract. Idaho's Kibbie dome and Syracuse's Carrier dome.

North Dakota St. plays in the Fargo Dome and Northern Iowa has their own dome.  Both are FCS schools. Played in both of them and they are both pretty loud. Pretty cool to see a smaller stadium be domed in.

opineonswine

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 19, 2014, 06:43:50 am
Good point.  It would be much more effective visually on TV broadcasts if there students were moved to the NEZ and positioned as close as possible to the field.
I believe Mississippi does it that way. Good idea.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on December 19, 2014, 09:52:31 am
North Dakota St. plays in the Fargo Dome and Northern Iowa has their own dome.  Both are FCS schools. Played in both of them and they are both pretty loud. Pretty cool to see a smaller stadium be domed in.

Thanks! I did not know about those.

opineonswine

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: opineonswine on December 19, 2014, 09:55:38 am
I believe Mississippi does it that way. Good idea.

IIRC they are in the southendzone but are planning to move to the north when they do their addition there.

opineonswine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 09:57:23 am
IIRC they are in the southendzone but are planning to move to the north when they do their addition there.
Yes it's the south. I just meant students and band are in the EZ.

ImHogginIt

ricepig

Quote from: Hog_One_Stop on December 19, 2014, 07:32:39 am
We don't even fill what we have now

We do suites and outdoor clubs seats, which is what would be built.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 10:13:43 am
We do suites and outdoor clubs seats, which is what would be built.

Exactly. While there is no demand for bleacher seats, the red chairback seats the luxury suites are in high demand. So why not build more? Especially luxury boxes, which bring in so much money.

Tusks

it would be nice if they could make enough money off suites in the NEZ to finish the outside of the west stands.  Maybe expand the chair backs to between the 40's.

I wish they wouldn't build the stadium around a big TV.  I think they should do what bama did and go with four, one in each corner of the stadium, and make them HD.  You can still make them pretty fricken big.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Rooka

I know this will probably be the most ignorant post of the thread, but when was the proposed timeframe of completing this?

ricepig

Quote from: Rooka on December 19, 2014, 10:33:40 am
I know this will probably be the most ignorant post of the thread, but when was the proposed timeframe of completing this?

There isn't one to my knowledge. They issued a facilities wish list several years ago and have completed, or are in the progress of completing the majority of it, except for this. That's why most figure it's next on the list to be built.

Tusks

I think they will start it after the 15 season if the hogs win 9 or more.  Have it ready for 16 when bama comes back to town.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

opineonswine

Not even close to the most ignorant.

SMOM I suppose.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 18, 2014, 03:46:14 pm
If we could ever win consistently we would fill those seats, but every time we get something going our coach does something retarded, splits the fan base, falls off a bike or "smiles" we have been anywhere from very good to mediocre to horrible the past 14 years. When we become a annual winner and contender the butts will be in the seats.

That statement is logical, but dead wrong. RRS sold out in advance, for over 30 years, win, lose, or draw. Having a stadium too big means that sellouts only come when we have a winning team AND a name opponent. With the stadium a bit smaller, we sell out in advance, and have all that revenue in the bank by Labor Day.

Put luxury boxes in NEZ, remove the bleachers from top of SEZ, and if/when we have a long waiting list of prospective season ticket holders, expand.

Pathogen

Quote from: Hogpkins on December 18, 2014, 07:40:13 pm
Here's the interview.

http://www.sportstalkwithbo.com/site/index.php

JL says the priorities are to enhance fan experience and convenience (i.e., fan retention and hopefully some growth).

Building elevators for fans to reach upper deck. Going to lower ticket prices of UD too.

Expanding parking -- he said they are buying property around Razorback to build parking.

The State is paying to expand Razorback and part of Maple to 4 lane to help traffic flow.

Improving sound system.

He also mentioned:

-Looking into a way where fans on east side could get to the west side more easily and visa versa (via N. end zone?).
-Possibly adding additional "premium" seats of some sort

Dr Swineglove

So the news is there is no news...  Great.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

GuvHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2014, 07:27:23 pm
Nah, they can sell suites and club seats in the North end zone, and if they need addition seating, add on top of that.

I've heard talk that they have been considering turning the east side indoor club seating area into luxury boxes but I don't know if it's true or not.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

VBMark

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2014, 07:24:41 pm
Yeah, probably was. It was a lovely gravel parking lot that went from the front of Barnhill to Meadow St, every football and basketball game we had to clear out.

I think you are either misremembering or things changed a lot. I was at Fayettenam BEFORE those parking lots were closed and games were still at the Barn. The pit was then and is now the students' name for Lot 44. The gravel parking lot was never called the Pit by the majority on campus. Maybe it was just your frat.

Regardless, if you hear somebody on campus today refer to parking in the Pit, they mean Lot 44.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

ricepig

Quote from: VBMark on December 19, 2014, 12:42:05 pm
I think you are either misremembering or things changed a lot. I was at Fayettenam BEFORE those parking lots were closed and games were still at the Barn. The pit was then and is now the students' name for Lot 44. The gravel parking lot was never called the Pit by the majority on campus. Maybe it was just your frat.

Regardless, if you hear somebody on campus today refer to parking in the Pit, they mean Lot 44.

Nope, I'm not misremembering(sp) anything, it's what everyone who lived on Stadium called it. I guess unless you poll the student body from the 70's, no one knows, lol.

elksnort

Chair back the whole stadium. Sell beer and wine.

ricepig

Quote from: elksnort on December 19, 2014, 01:01:39 pm
Chair back the whole stadium. Sell beer and wine.

Not going to happen, this isn't the NFL.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 18, 2014, 06:56:56 pm
There are only two domed stadiums built specifically for a college team that I know of. Neither of which roofs retract. Idaho's Kibbie dome and Syracuse's Carrier dome.

Fargo dome.  Was to be a real dome, but changed.  Still totally indoors.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargodome
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog_One_Stop on December 19, 2014, 07:32:39 am
We don't even fill what we have now

Have you ever been in movie theatre? Rarely full..........................

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2014, 03:29:55 pm
@SportsTalkBo: Long: North end zone project is a challenge b/c its not all about revenue or adding seats. It's about providing easier access for fans.

What does he mean by access?

vehicular and pedestrian

Where do we park the extra vehicles? How do fans get to the stadium from those parking places?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 12:52:23 pm
Nope, I'm not misremembering(sp) anything, it's what everyone who lived on Stadium called it. I guess unless you poll the student body from the 70's, no one knows, lol.

Ummm I was there part of the 70's. My Pit was lot 44. Like I said though earlier no biggie either way.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogfaniam on December 19, 2014, 01:11:34 pm
Fargo dome.  Was to be a real dome, but changed.  Still totally indoors.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fargodome

Thanks. As I said I didn't know about it. It looks short.........Is part of it below ground level making it appear as such or do you know if the've had kicks or punts hit the roof inside?

The Marmot

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 01:16:35 pm
Ummm I was there part of the 70's. My Pit was lot 44. Like I said though earlier no biggie either way.

I know people who refer to either or both lots as the Pit, frat and non-frat.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 01:07:03 pm
Not going to happen, this isn't the NFL.

Why couldn't we chairback the whole lower bowl? I think it would really set our stadium apart.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Marmot on December 19, 2014, 01:23:03 pm
I know people who refer to either or both lots as the Pit, frat and non-frat.

To all current students, the Pit is in front of the North End Zone. (Lot 44)

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 01:16:35 pm

Ok, that's one vote for Lot 44, now only 11,999 more to poll, haha.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2014, 01:27:57 pm
To all current students, the Pit is in front of the North End Zone. (Lot 44)

Yes, correct, there hasn't been a parking lot in front of Barnhill since the Women's Center and HPER. As has been said numerous times, no biggie.