Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long on North End zone expansion

Started by ricepig, December 18, 2014, 03:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2014, 01:27:27 pm
Why couldn't we chairback the whole lower bowl? I think it would really set our stadium apart.

Do the math and tell me how many seats we will lose, and the cost, then you will have your answer.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Sportster365 on December 18, 2014, 04:26:32 pm
Hard to sell skybox tickets from an end-zone view.

Little known fact: In every fully-enclosed bowl stadium, over 50% of the seats are past the goal lines.

I had NEZ seats (high up) in WMS for many years. For a fan with an above-average knowledge of football, end zone seats are fine. You see the holes open up; you see the game from pretty much the same angle the players do.

I found that I concentrated more, just so I could tell the difference between a four-yard run and a seven-yard run.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on December 18, 2014, 06:31:44 pm
If the skyboxes can be sold all they need to do is pull out rows in the upper deck enough to offset most of what initially gets added in outdoor seats in the NEZ  Then assuming the program grows they just gradually add the upper deck rows back as needed, keeping the capacity factor high.

Make each bleacher seat wider, to accomodate the 21st century badokadonk.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 12:52:23 pm
Nope, I'm not misremembering(sp) anything, it's what everyone who lived on Stadium called it. I guess unless you poll the student body from the 70's, no one knows, lol.

I was at UA, off and on, from 71 to 92. "The pit" was the name for the area north of the stadium, at least among the folks I knew.

"Passion pit" was another name, from back in the days where opposite gender was not allowed in the unigender dorms. Lots of cars parked there late at night. If you got lucky, you flashed your lights when you left.

The_Iceman

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 19, 2014, 01:47:48 pm
Little known fact: In every fully-enclosed bowl stadium, over 50% of the seats are past the goal lines.

I had NEZ seats (high up) in WMS for many years. For a fan with an above-average knowledge of football, end zone seats are fine. You see the holes open up; you see the game from pretty much the same angle the players do.

I found that I concentrated more, just so I could tell the difference between a four-yard run and a seven-yard run.

When I was a student, I loved sitting in the front rows of the SEZ. The play development was real easy to see.

ricepig

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 19, 2014, 01:59:58 pm
I was at UA, off and on, from 71 to 92. "The pit" was the name for the area north of the stadium, at least among the folks I knew.

"Passion pit" was another name, from back in the days where opposite gender was not allowed in the unigender dorms. Lots of cars parked there late at night. If you got lucky, you flashed your lights when you left.

Obviously, different folks called different parking lots, different names.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2014, 02:04:02 pm
When I was a student, I loved sitting in the front rows of the SEZ. The play development was real easy to see.

I'm a SOC ticket holder, and moved there from the EOC, prefer the view.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 02:11:25 pm
I'm a SOC ticket holder, and moved there from the EOC, prefer the view.

Best seats in the stadium!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jamie Jones

Has anyone contacted Jerrah Jones about the financing this air castle is gonna cost? He would have to take a mortgage on AT&T Stadium to pay for some of these ideas.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

ricepig

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 19, 2014, 02:24:20 pm
Has anyone contacted Jerrah Jones about the financing this air castle is gonna cost? He would have to take a mortgage on AT&T Stadium to pay for some of these ideas.

Jerry might know where to borrow the money.

Oklahawg

Opine and others around here will have the scoop on the unofficial chatter, not to mention the official "plan". I do seem to recall they were talking about the NEZ work producing a capacity of either 78K or 82K.

It is conceivable that a small capacity shift could happen immediately, and that it would be partially (but substantial) funded upfront by deposits on the luxury setups. I might be wrong, of course.

I really like the idea of moving the student section and band to the NEZ. In fact, it is an idea I have championed for a while.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

code red

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 18, 2014, 06:24:54 pm
I don't care if ALL we add, this time, is boxes and suites.  We need to complete the bowl to hold in the sound and make RRS a truly formidable place. 
Its formidable.  Ask Wallace, Jennings and Sims.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

I would love to see it bowled in but.....those seats are going to require foundation membership.  Correct me if I am wrong but....season tickets were offered to non foundation members this year....right??  Where is the demand??  It would look sad half full.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2014, 02:38:23 pm
Opine and others around here will have the scoop on the unofficial chatter, not to mention the official "plan". I do seem to recall they were talking about the NEZ work producing a capacity of either 78K or 82K.

It is conceivable that a small capacity shift could happen immediately, and that it would be partially (but substantial) funded upfront by deposits on the luxury setups. I might be wrong, of course.

I really like the idea of moving the student section and band to the NEZ. In fact, it is an idea I have championed for a while.

Well, that number depended on whether you counted the temporary bleachers on top of the SEZ, with them gone, closer to the 76,000 number. The first drawings/mock up had around 4500-5000 additional seats in the NEZ.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 19, 2014, 02:24:20 pm

If you are filling it up with luxury boxes and premium chairback seating, the expansion will help pay for itself over time.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2014, 02:51:08 pm
If you are filling it up with luxury boxes and premium chairback seating, the expansion will help pay for itself over time.

It only pays for itself if they are sold. I believe there is currently a waiting list of luxury boxes, but overall we are not filling our current stadium to capacity week in and week out.  What makes us think that we will fill additional seats at premium rates if were not doing it today? 

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 19, 2014, 03:03:34 pm
It only pays for itself if they are sold. I believe there is currently a waiting list of luxury boxes, but overall we are not filling our current stadium to capacity week in and week out.  What makes us think that we will fill additional seats at premium rates if were not doing it today? 

They sell out the outdoor club seats, and the South Indoor, the end zone ends of the east indoor only sell out on big conference games.

sowmonella

Winning will take care of everything. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

East TN HAWG

Quote from: sowmonella on December 19, 2014, 03:07:20 pm
Winning will take care of everything. :razorback:
Winning definitely fills seats.  However, sports entertainment is cyclical.  Half a century ago baseball parks were full.  In the early 90's, college basketball arenas were full.  In the late 80's and early 90's, NASCAR tracks were full.  Now these entertainment venues are for the most part no where near what they once were.  Tighter family budgets, increased television exposure, and increased ticket prices have contributed.  College football is not immune to these entertainment cycles.

The SEC Network has brought a lot of positive publicity to the SEC, but the downside could lead to a reduction of attendance at the games.  I really would love to see the stadium improved and expanded; however, if those seats are empty that would be a bitter pill. 

I guess the best example was Bud Walton Arena.  It once was filled every game.  Our program slipped, and now it is a shell of what it once was.  We are not filling our current football stadium, why would we want additional empty seats?  I'm not trolling, but wanting more seats just to keep up with the Jones only works if you can fill the seats.   

ricepig

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 19, 2014, 03:27:11 pm
Winning definitely fills seats.  However, sports entertainment is cyclical.  Half a century ago baseball parks were full.  In the early 90's, college basketball arenas were full.  In the late 80's and early 90's, NASCAR tracks were full.  Now these entertainment venues are for the most part no where near what they once were.  Tighter family budgets, increased television exposure, and increased ticket prices have contributed.  College football is not immune to these entertainment cycles.

The SEC Network has brought a lot of positive publicity to the SEC, but the downside could lead to a reduction of attendance at the games.  I really would love to see the stadium improved and expanded; however, if those seats are empty that would be a bitter pill. 

I guess the best example was Bud Walton Arena.  It once was filled every game.  Our program slipped, and now it is a shell of what it once was.  We are not filling our current football stadium, why would we want additional empty seats?  I'm not trolling, but wanting more seats just to keep up with the Jones only works if you can fill the seats.   

We aren't filling our upper deck seats, we don't have a problem filling our suites or club seats.

Inhogswetrust

You're kidding..........See my post about movie theaters............ JUST because it isn't full every time doesn't mean there isn't demand at other times. It kind of depends on how the show is........do you honestly think the show will not get better...........it takes time to plan and build things.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 02:45:54 pm
Well, that number depended on whether you counted the temporary bleachers on top of the SEZ, with them gone, closer to the 76,000 number. The first drawings/mock up had around 4500-5000 additional seats in the NEZ.

Thanks. I forgot to factor the loss of the SEZ strap-on bleachers.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 19, 2014, 03:27:11 pm

Do you honestly believe that IF we had a basketball program as good as it was or even close to what it was back when we built BWA that it wouldn't be full.............

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 01:32:42 pm
Yes, correct, there hasn't been a parking lot in front of Barnhill since the Women's Center and HPER. As has been said numerous times, no biggie.

Actually, when I was on hill (late 70's - early 80's) Barnhill was originally a dirt floor metal bldg ("barn").   Eddie Sutton's first team or two played on a portable wood floor that they would put together in large wood panels over that dirt floor.... Razorback basketball had very humble beginnings.... :)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2014, 03:39:47 pm

IIRC it is 72,000 without them but was closer to 76,000 with them. Am I right? At one point when the SEZ was first added it was designed to maybe have an upper deck like on the sidelines added if needed. I think now it has been decided that upgraded seating and bowling in the NEZ makes more sense.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2014, 02:38:23 pm

As I understand it the people leasing the field boxes would have tickets to the seats above them. You party in your suite before the game, then move up into your seat when the game starts. I'm not sure people playing premium prices for field suites would want to sit anywhere around students or the band.

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 19, 2014, 03:43:01 pm
Actually, when I was on hill (late 70's - early 80's) Barnhill was originally a dirt floor metal bldg ("barn").   Eddie Sutton's first team or two played on a portable wood floor that they would put together in large wood panels over that dirt floor.... Razorback basketball had very humble beginnings.... :)

Yep, but it wasn't then. In 1976, you still pretty much get your student "ticket" and go to any game, it changed in 1977.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 03:43:42 pm
IIRC it is 72,000 without them but was closer to 76,000 with them. Am I right? At one point when the SEZ was first added it was designed to maybe have an upper deck like on the sidelines added if needed. I think now it has been decided that upgraded seating and bowling in the NEZ makes more sense.

Yeah, USC and Bama in 2010 were both in the 76,000+ range.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 19, 2014, 01:47:48 pm

It's funny you mention that.  I grew up working cushion concession at WMS, and after everything was rented, by about mid second quarter we got to go watch the game.  We didn't have assigned seats, so we would usually go grab a seat in the NEZ among the military vets.  We probably heard some language we weren't meant to hear at that age, but that was how I grew up watching games. 

Consequently, I have no issue with endzone seats.  The only bummer is when the action is clear on the other end of the field, but even then...you get used to it, and the plus of having them right there coming to your EZ is actually better than being on the 50 yard line in terms of really seeing the action unfold. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 03:47:50 pm
Yep, but it wasn't then. In 1976, you still pretty much get your student "ticket" and go to any game, it changed in 1977.

I believe we only had to flash our student IDs to get in....

The_Iceman

First: the red premium seats are in high demand. I know some people who decided to pay more to move to the SEZ because they wanted their own chairback seat with their own space. They were tired of fat slobs hogging up their row.

Second: the luxury box waiting list is huge. We would immediately sell out all of the ones we build.

What is not in demand right now in RRS is $45 upper deck bleacher seats. Everything else in the lower level is pretty much full. Just need to find a way to get students interested in actually attending games, instead of just drinking at their frat houses and tailgates.

ricepig

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 19, 2014, 03:49:54 pm

I seem to remember having to go to the Union to get a voucher/ticket, but they changed it often.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2014, 03:39:47 pm

I walked up there once just to see what all the fuss was about.  I'm afraid of heights, and I started getting that queasy feeling in my stomach just getting close.  No way I could sit up there.   :o
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: VBMark on December 19, 2014, 12:42:05 pm
I think you are either misremembering or things changed a lot. I was at Fayettenam BEFORE those parking lots were closed and games were still at the Barn. The pit was then and is now the students' name for Lot 44. The gravel parking lot was never called the Pit by the majority on campus. Maybe it was just your frat.

Regardless, if you hear somebody on campus today refer to parking in the Pit, they mean Lot 44.
There may have been some gravel on it but it was mostly dirt. One rainy day I was waiting to interview Abe Lemons. The team bus pulled up and Abe got out wearing an expensive pair of cowboy boots. By the time he got to the sidewalk in front of Barnhill his boots were a mess. He looked at me like it was my fault and said, "That's what I would expect from Arkansas. You people spend 10 million dollars to fix up the basketball arena (Barnhill had just been expanded) but you can't pave the damn parking lot."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 03:46:04 pm
As I understand it the people leasing the field boxes would have tickets to the seats above them. You party in your suite before the game, then move up into your seat when the game starts. I'm not sure people playing premium prices for field suites would want to sit anywhere around students or the band.

Good observation. That would be sweet to have a suite (pardon the pun) then sit close to the field but where you can see good also.
Also I bet you are correct about not wanting to pay those kinds of dollars and deal with the band and student section so close. I also bet the new student "lounge" area on top of the SEZ was a hit and did well this year. Does anyone know?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 19, 2014, 03:49:54 pm

Correct. Until things really took off in Sutton's early years, we just had to show ID. As the program improved, student tickets had to be picked up in advance. But I think they were free until the year after that First Final Four (??)

Been10Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 18, 2014, 05:52:55 pm
Retractable roof.
We could use the original garage doors from the Broyles' Complex!! That would be sweet!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 19, 2014, 03:51:30 pm
First: the red premium seats are in high demand. I know some people who decided to pay more to move to the SEZ because they wanted their own chairback seat with their own space. They were tired of fat slobs hogging up their row.

Second: the luxury box waiting list is huge. We would immediately sell out all of the ones we build.

What is not in demand right now in RRS is $45 upper deck bleacher seats. Everything else in the lower level is pretty much full. Just need to find a way to get students interested in actually attending games, instead of just drinking at their frat houses and tailgates.

Man, you're on this topic like a fat kid on a donut.  If I'm reading correctly, the best bet for getting the NEZ bowled in is going to be with luxury boxes.  I'm all for maximizing crowd noise by having more fans that are not in enclosed structures, but if building more suites is going to help keep the current volume inside the stadium, then I'm cool with that. 

I do question the logic behind bowling it in with more seats, because it's not like it's standing room only at present.   

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 03:55:21 pm
There may have been some gravel on it but it was mostly dirt. One rainy day I was waiting to interview Abe Lemons. The team bus pulled up and Abe got out wearing an expensive pair of cowboy boots. By the time he got to the sidewalk in front of Barnhill his boots were a mess. He looked at me like it was my fault and said, "That's what I would expect from Arkansas. You people spend 10 million dollars to fix up the basketball arena (Barnhill had just been expanded) but you can't pave the damn parking lot."

Now THAT is funny!!!   ;D :D ;D :D ;D

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 03:55:21 pm

South entrance, I presume.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 03:53:23 pm
I seem to remember having to go to the Union to get a voucher/ticket, but they changed it often.

Yes, they tried dozens of different ways to distribute those student tickets. Could never settle on a method.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 19, 2014, 04:01:20 pm
Yes, they tried dozens of different ways to distribute those student tickets. Could never settle on a method.

Okay, but in 74/75 & 75/76, I distinctly remember literally only flashing my student ID.   I also think seating was open back then....

razorbackkid

Move all games to Little Rock.  :) 
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Mike Irwin

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 03:40:26 pm
Do you honestly believe that IF we had a basketball program as good as it was or even close to what it was back when we built BWA that it wouldn't be full.............

I was an original season ticket holder for BWA. It was a pre-season sellout all through NRs tenure, but actual attendance dropped steadily after the two FF years. We were still a top 25 program, but we only filled the arena a handful of times a year.

Pressguide says:
20,000+  avg first tow years
18,000+   next four years
Under 18 ever since

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 19, 2014, 04:04:30 pm
Okay, but in 74/75 & 75/76, I distinctly remember literally only flashing my student ID.   I also think seating was open back then....

Sounds about right. ID only back then.

ricepig

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 19, 2014, 03:57:43 pm
Correct. Until things really took off in Sutton's early years, we just had to show ID. As the program improved, student tickets had to be picked up in advance. But I think they were free until the year after that First Final Four (??)

Nah, we had to have tickets for 77/78. I know, I was first in line for the Texas game at the Union and they open a lower door first, haha.

wholehog92

Quote from: ricepig on December 18, 2014, 03:29:55 pm
@SportsTalkBo: Long: North end zone project is a challenge b/c its not all about revenue or adding seats. It's about providing easier access for fans.

What does he mean by access?

What he wants to be able to do as someone mentioned is ground level have a cowboys like situation where the fans can watch the team enter the field.  He also wants people on the west and south sides to be able to walk through the area to go from one side of the stadium to the other AND have a concessions area.  He wants to do that on all levels except the entrance piece of course.  Being able to do get all that done, have the suites that there is a demand for and restricted access to them for security while still allowing all of the other things he wants is a challenge in the space available.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

ricepig

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 19, 2014, 04:24:31 pm
What he wants to be able to do as someone mentioned is ground level have a cowboys like situation where the fans can watch the team enter the field.  He also wants people on the west and south sides to be able to walk through the area to go from one side of the stadium to the other AND have a concessions area.  He wants to do that on all levels except the entrance piece of course.  Being able to do get all that done, have the suites that there is a demand for and restricted access to them for security while still allowing all of the other things he wants is a challenge in the space available.

Yeah, sounds like he wants too much.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Boar Ultimatum on December 18, 2014, 03:59:15 pm
Access should mean a multiple level parking structure on the N end with immediate entrance to your seat section. Top level could be a rented "Tailgate Heaven". I would like to live long enough to hear  90K fans calling the hogs in an enclosed RRS!

This and 90+k in lr CAUSE WE DON'T NEED THE MONEY..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.