Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Offensive Preview per *Longhorn Board*

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, December 18, 2014, 11:27:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 19, 2014, 10:05:00 am
An average SEC is not a bad thing.  Too bad we did not have a stable of established and average SEC WRs.

I just wonder who gets thrown under the bus when our offense sucks next year, too.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ZERO

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 19, 2014, 08:33:45 am
We do throw from the gun most of the time. Biggest issue we have is the guy throwing it is an avg at best sec qb.

Brandon will be a fifth year senior next year. Having that much experience in a league where almost everyone was breaking in a new QB is going to be an advantage, I hope. Also, we have some new WRs coming in who will hopefully make an impact and be the difference.

We got spoiled on years of Mallett and Wilson in Petrino's offense. People are going to have to realize that we'll never see production like that in Bielema's offense, but that doesn't mean our offense can't be good. Allen isn't that great, but I feel at times he gets more flack than he deserves. I think the problem is a little more at WR than it is at QB.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 10:09:37 am
I just wonder who gets thrown under the bus when our offense sucks next year, too.  :)

*if

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

oldman1015

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 18, 2014, 12:59:15 pm
Anybody with a dvr can figure out what you do on O.

Very few people can figure out how to stop it.

You guys need to lay off until we have a WR that can outrun our TE's...
thank you
Arkansas, the left lane state.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:02:11 am
One would hope by year three we can field a semi-competent offense.
It was semi-competent this year.  Next year it will hopefully be up to the decent to serviceable levels.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 19, 2014, 11:04:36 am
It was semi-competent this year.  Next year it will hopefully be up to the decent to serviceable levels.

I don't really consider 12th in the league "semi-competent." 

I mean, it doesn't say a lot about your offense when the defense has to shut out the opposing team in order to win.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:11:35 am

I mean, it doesn't say a lot about your offense when the defense has to shut out the opposing team in order to win.

Well, if the defense would have shut out all of them........or held a couple to one score less..............or scored more themselves.........

southarkhog06

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:02:11 am
One would hope by year three we can field a semi-competent offense.
Alot of us believe we will have a good offense next year. Why are you convinced our offense will suck next year?

One could also make the arguement that the offense was semi-competent this year. 6-6 with the numbers we put up is not where we want to be at the end of the journey but I would say hardly incompetent.

Wildhog

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 19, 2014, 11:14:51 am
Alot of us believe we will have a good offense next year. Why are you convinced our offense will suck next year?

Because I'm bored at work. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

southarkhog06

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:15:49 am
Because I'm bored at work.
So your outlook on the future of the hogs offense is directly related to your activity level? interesting method

Wildhog

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 19, 2014, 11:19:51 am
So your outlook on the future of the hogs offense is directly related to your activity level? interesting method

I'm an interesting guy.

But seriously, with a healthy QB and another year in the system, we only improved by a FG per game this year.  Why should I believe that our improvement next year will be anything more than marginal?  If we improve by another FG per game next year, that would still leave us around 10th in the league.
1909/1964/1965/1977

intelligence

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PorkRinds

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 19, 2014, 11:14:51 am

One could also make the arguement that the offense was semi-competent this year. 6-6 with the numbers we put up is not where we want to be at the end of the journey but I would say hardly incompetent.

Two words.  Starts with a J and ends with an im Chaney.  ;D

Wildhog

Well by God, in year two, our offense was arguably semi-competent!  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:21:44 am
I'm an interesting guy.

But seriously, with a healthy QB and another year in the system, we only improved by a FG per game this year.  Why should I believe that our improvement next year will be anything more than marginal?  If we improve by another FG per game next year, that would still leave us around 10th in the league.

10th is better than 12th...

jacobp

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:11:35 am

don't know what site you're looking at, but we were 8th in total offense.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 19, 2014, 11:26:44 am
10th is better than 12th...

Our defense is going to have to get a lot better, then, if we want to compete in our division.

The best defense we've had in my lifetime has to get quite a bit better to cover up our total ineptitude (arguably semi-competence) on offense. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: jacobp on December 19, 2014, 11:30:50 am
don't know what site you're looking at, but we were 8th in total offense.

Talking about in SEC play, bruh. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

southarkhog06

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:21:44 am
I'm an interesting guy.

We should have more deep threat type WRs (or any at all) and just overall better at the WR position which will open up the run game and will keep teams from being able to double up our TEs. How many points per game will all that be worth? no way to tell.

Your concerns are valid, I just disagree that we wont be better next year.
Also, saying "who will we throw under the bus when the offense sucks again next year" seems like an unnecesary swipe.

Wildhog

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 19, 2014, 11:34:17 am
We should have more deep threat type WRs (or any at all) and just overall better at the WR position which will open up the run game and will keep teams from being able to double up our TEs. How many points per game will all that be worth? no way to tell.

Your concerns are valid, I just disagree that we wont be better next year.
Also, saying "who will we throw under the bus when the offense sucks again next year" seems like an unnecesary swipe.

Necessary?  Is it necessary for me to drink my own Miss?

No, but it's sterile and I like the taste.

EDIT:  WHY THE HELL IS U RINE ON AUTOCORRECT?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
1909/1964/1965/1977

southarkhog06

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:36:59 am

Great movie

Wildhog

Quote from: southarkhog06 on December 19, 2014, 11:39:46 am
Great movie

Terrible movie.

But some great lines.

"I don't think they make a, 'I'm sorry your dodgeball coach just got crushed by two tons of irony' Hallmark card."
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I think for the sake of Ole Miss, p-iss is autocorrected to Miss. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 19, 2014, 11:41:55 am
I think for the sake of Ole Miss, p-iss is autocorrected to Miss. 

I wasn't typing p-ss.  I was typing the proper name.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 11:42:41 am
I wasn't typing p-ss.  I was typing the proper name.

Miss?  Well I'll be darned. 

intelligence

stop using an iFag. problem solved. those are for sissyboys

Wildhog

Quote from: intelligence on December 19, 2014, 11:46:23 am
stop using an iFag. problem solved. those are for sissyboys

I guess you're talking about iPads, which I don't use.
1909/1964/1965/1977

intelligence

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2014, 09:18:04 am
Not sure he'll survive that long under this name, but, he will be back.......
With another attempt at a witty name that actually comes across as lame in all lower case...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Qadi999

It don't matter if we had  cooper at WR next year, you cant run  1and 2 WR sets and have TE's that cant block and expect to run a effective offense.

razorbackkid

Quote from: JaketheSnake on December 19, 2014, 08:22:28 am
Some of you need to realize that CBB doesn't play disguised football.  He plays prison rape football... You know what's coming and the other team cannt do squat about it.  Texass might enjoy it tho
Best post of the thread, however, if I were to change anything about this post it would be to add that "even if Texas didn't enjoy it, we'd slap around until they confessed to liking it".

:)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

wholehog92

This is where I think people lose me.  Which SEC game are you saying it was serviceable in?
The only team to score less than us vs AU was LSU.
The only team to score less than us vs the ags was LSU.
We managed to tie Mizzou and LSU for last place against bama.
We did end up looking respectable in the final score against GAs backups.
Only Vandy scored less than us against Ms. St.  They managed to get shut out.
We managed to score more than KY and tie A and M against the only SEC offense that rivals ours in the west for being bad at LSU.
AU is the only team to outscore us against Ol Miss, but our defense accounted for a lot of that.
We managed to beat KY and tie Vandy for output vs Mizzou.

That is not serviceable in my book.  Two games where we aren't last or next to last in point production in the league is not serviceable.  Serviceable is going to be middle of the pack in point production or total offense or both.  Really I would accept middle of the pack efficiency on offense with our scheme.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 19, 2014, 05:06:30 pm
This is where I think people lose me.  Which SEC game are you saying it was serviceable in?
We managed to score more than KY and tie A and M against the only SEC offense that rivals ours in the west for being bad at LSU.
AU is the only team to outscore us against Ol Miss, but our defense accounted for a lot of that.

That is not serviceable in my book.  Two games where we aren't last or next to last in point production in the league is not serviceable.  Serviceable is going to be middle of the pack in point production or total offense or both.  Really I would accept middle of the pack efficiency on offense with our scheme.

Sitting on the ball shortens games and helps win field position, both keys to what we do. It's really hard to compare a HUNH offense's production to ours in terms of raw scoring.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Wildhog on December 19, 2014, 10:09:37 am
I do not throw players under the bus but it is hard to argue when the routes are not clean and the hands are not catching the balls that hit them
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

MuskogeeHogFan

I know that no one wants to hear this, again, but as disappointed as I was in our seeming inability to finish games many times from an offensive standpoint, we are nonetheless, making progress and all of this is a work in progress.

I think we have to realize that this isn't just a function of offense, it is defense as well.

In year two of Bielema we averaged 411 yds of offense per game to 427 with Petrino in year two. In Bielema's second year at the helm and program development we averaged allowing 345.4 yds per game on defense compared to 401.2 yds per game in BP's second season.

The difference in yards gained to yards allowed in year two under Bielema was +65.2 yards per game against the most difficult schedule that the Hogs may have ever faced.

The difference in yards gained to yards allowed in year two under Petrino was +26.1 yards per game against a less difficult schedule.

We averaged scoring 32 points per game under Bielema and allowed an average of 20.3 for a net margin of +11.7.

In BP's second season we averaged scoring 36 points per game but allowed an average of 25.1 points per game on defense for an average net margin per game of +10.9.

Except for a much more difficult schedule, we aren't very far off (if at all) where BP had us in his second season when we almost lost to E. Carolina in the Liberty Bowl.

All is well and we will be a much better and more improved team next season under Bielema just as we were in the 3rd season under BP.

Patience is a virtue.
Go Hogs Go!

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 19, 2014, 07:26:29 pm

All is well and we will be a much better and more improved team next season under Bielema just as we were in the 3rd season under BP.
Last year the Hogs were ranked 114 in Total Passing...........acknowledged by most as near terrible.  This season the Hogs improved a bit to #97.....but, that's still bad.  The inferior teams on our schedule could not take advantage of our passing woes, but the solid and balanced defenses were able to shut down our rushing game because we weren't balanced.  Texas has a solid defense, close to Missouri's statistically. 

I worry about the Hogs without Derby (sort of a strange thought after last season.)

Danny J

Quote from: ArmyHawg on December 19, 2014, 09:38:49 am
Weren't most of our shotgun formations this year on 3rd down?  I don't remember a lot on 1st and 2nd down.  Throwing 86% of the time on 3rd down doesn't seem like that much of a revelation.  I bet most teams are close to that percentage on 3rd.  Seems like it's more related to the situation than Chaney being predictable.
To take that a step further I would like to see a breakdown of shotgun to pass % when the game was in doubt meaning we were not in a 2 minute drill where we had to drive and score to win. I know off the top of my head there were a ton of those in both the Mizzou and MSU game. I think in the UGA game there were a bunch in that situation where we were forced to throw to get back in the game.

I think the BEST way to determine that % would be during times of games where we threw out of shotgun, not just on 3rd and long, when we didn't have to score in a hurry.

PorkRinds

You didn't read what I said.