Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelini just Kicked the Nebraska AD in the Sac

Started by WilsonHog, December 17, 2014, 06:32:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

husker71

I did not shed any tears or even complain when he was fired.  I attended my 1st game in Lincoln in 1963.  Many of us were used to the style of Tom Osborne and wanted something closer to that.

Chief Mac

Quote from: LZH on December 17, 2014, 09:25:31 pm
My God brother, you've got me sho' nuff figured out.

I'm exposed.

put some clothes on....don't need a naked LZH around here!  ;)
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SwinerBock

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 17, 2014, 07:46:04 pm
You can be brutally honest, wear your heart on your sleeve, be emotionally charged, turn out great players and great individuals and graduate all the players that you want as a great DC, but not as a HC. The head of the program has to be able to play the politics of the situation as a more mature leader who knows what to say publically and who knows what is best to keep to himself.

That is the definition of mature leadership in college coaching as well as business. You can't just spout off and say anything you want, anytime that you feel moved to say it. The greater good of the program both now and for the future, whether for your players or employees, demands more maturity and control of ones emotions. Pelini showed his arse and lack of maturity and selflessness, in this situation.

This.  He rants on and on and on about how it is someone else's fault, and never once for a second admits that maybe he should shoulder some of the blame himself.  If you have a problem with your boss, you man up and go discuss it with them.  You don't sit around and wait for him/her to come to you.  Idiot.

Jek Tono Porkins

I can definitely see where Pelini is coming from. If it's true that he's talked to the AD for about 20 minutes over the past six months, that's some bullcrap. If that's the case then the AD should have just fired him after last season...he was just waiting around for Bo to win the division or the conference and then fly in and try to take some credit.

Championship programs have support from top to bottom. Sounds like there was zero support from the top.

However, I think Pelini needs to realize that he may have gotten more support from the top if he wasn't such total d-bag. When a tape leaks about an expletive-ridden tirade that you made about the "fair weather fans", you're going to lose support. Pelini didn't have any support from the fans or apparently the administration and that negated the fact that he won a lot of games there. I also think he's right about the negativity. It was ubiquitous at Nebraska. You had former players publicly saying the coach needed to be fired, among other things. That's some crap.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

ICEman

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 17, 2014, 07:28:33 pm
Who wouldn't want Bo to be the face and voice of their program?

So what if he's a molotov cocktail.
Walker meant to say mazel tov and now let's have a cocktail.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

wholehog92

A head coach needs to be inherently better at strategy than this.  The man is just a better fit a smaller school or a DC.

Part of growing up is learning to work smarter not harder.  Bo's teams played hard and ran headlong into brick walls trying to run through them when it would have been easy to go around or over them ever since I've watched them.  It's apparent they took on his personality.

My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

The_Iceman

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Arkiehawg (kingfish0318)

Pelini just sunk any chance of getting back to a top five conference school...IMO  Moron....
"I hope we get nuked somewhere big, and soon.  LA would be a good place, as is S.F."-  Silver (Swiss) Hog 4/6/10

urkillnmesmalls

Wow...I can't believe he did that.  That's the epitome of crying over spilled milk.  You go home, and you vent to your wife if you need someone to listen.  Venting to your players is nothing more than a huge sign of insecurity.  He had absolutely nothing to gain by getting their support, other than to pacify his own feelings of insecurity. 

It's almost as if the guy had never been around a situation or relationship that had gone bad, and he had no idea how to handle it.  No way we see him at a major University again after that debacle.  Burning bridges like that is never a good idea.

The most disappointing thing about that entire speech was that at NO point in time did he say or do anything to encourage the players about the situation.  It was all about him.  I still can't believe that...unreal.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

code red

Not a smart move no.  No way but.....why would the administration allow him to address the team??  I'd say the administration has as much to do with the way this went down as Pelini.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

majp51

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2014, 06:32:54 pm
Long, but worth the read. It's the transcript of Pelini's last meeting with his players at Nebraska.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/bo-pelini-transcript-a-d-shawn-eichorst-doesn-t-even/article_4f3583d6-8637-11e4-b708-3fa46a3a8147.html?mode=jqm

Not terribly surprising, this is after all the same coach who got into major hot water for throwing his own fans under the bus at Nebraska. Whether you like that program or hate it, you have to admit they have some of the most passionate, loyal fans out there, and he was torching them for a loss that was mostly due to coaching.

majp51

Quote from: Arkiehawg (kingfish0318) on December 18, 2014, 08:55:07 am
Pelini just sunk any chance of getting back to a top five conference school...IMO  Moron....

Anytime soon maybe. But let him take Youngstown state to a couple of Championships, and someone will conveniently forget. See Petrino, Robert as the poster child of "Winning cures everything" mentality in Football.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on December 17, 2014, 07:16:50 pm
Wow.  Not sure I have ever heard more rambling & hate by a coach at his former boss. 

At the time Nolan maybe............I hope those wounds have healed.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hoggish1

All I can think is that guy coached for Miles. Big weight lifted off the Nebraska program that has a hard enough time as it is.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: majp51 on December 18, 2014, 09:24:05 am
Anytime soon maybe. But let him take Youngstown state to a couple of Championships, and someone will conveniently forget. See Petrino, Robert as the poster child of "Winning cures everything" mentality in Football.

I agree that someone's going to take a chance on this guy again.  He's an overpaid Private Pyle, but someone's going to look at that 9-win average and make him deal eventually.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 18, 2014, 07:41:48 am
Good for Bo

Excuse me? Do you honestly think it was the right or smart thing to do?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 18, 2014, 08:41:31 am
I'm kinda siding with Pelini on this one.

Maybe some of the things he said were correct. HOWEVER even if his boss wasn't and isn't professional and they didn't talk much then that is all the more reason HE should have been professional himself. If what he said about the AD is correct then all he did was lower himself to that level he is accusing the AD of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: code red on December 18, 2014, 09:16:27 am
Not a smart move no.  No way but.....why would the administration allow him to address the team??  I'd say the administration has as much to do with the way this went down as Pelini.

It happened off campus and unless it was in his contract they couldn't really stop it from happening.

jkstock04

Of course this won't be met well with the PC world we live in today when it comes to media/public speaking.

But personally, I prefer this over typical phony BS coach speak the average fan takes 100% as the gospel...." I just wanna thank (insert names here) for the great opportunity....etc, etc, etc. We have heard that crap a million times and Its so scripted and fake.

He for sure didn't take the high road here, but obviously he felt the need to tell his players how things were and how things went down. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Inhogswetrust

December 18, 2014, 10:59:56 am #71 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:25:04 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jkstock04 on December 18, 2014, 10:48:11 am
Of course this won't be met well with the PC world we live in today when it comes to media/public speaking.

But personally, I prefer this over typical phony BS coach speak the average fan takes 100% as the gospel...." I just wanna thank (insert names here) for the great opportunity....etc, etc, etc. We have heard that crap a million times and Its so scripted and fake.

He for sure didn't take the high road here, but obviously he felt the need to tell his players how things were and how things went down. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Sometimes the "damn the torpedoes full speed ahead" approach isn't the wisest approach. He wanted to tell HIS side and viewpoint of how HE felt things were and went down..........Never forget there are two sides to every story. He was an idiot though in not thinking it wouldn't leak out but maybe deep down he wanted it too. If so he might have had alterior motives besides just telling his former players.

wholehog92

There's two different issues going on here.  Anyone whose been married for a long time should be able to see it.

You can be right or you can be happy.

Bo chose to be right in a very public way.  The marital equivalent of what he did was post on his wife's facebook wall for all her friends to see a list of her faults after a divorce.  Sure it was dumb on her part not to boot her ex husband from her friends list, but any of her hot single friends on the periphery waiting on their opportunity just congratulated themselves on their patience.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hogarusa

Quote from: wupigsuey on December 17, 2014, 07:10:45 pm
Not to derail but it amazes me how far Tressel has fallen. IMO BP has worse transgressions than what took place on Tressels watch. Unless there's more to the story.

How has Tressell fallen?  He is the President of a University of 16,000 students despite having a show cause against coaching.  I wish I could have a fall like that.

Pelini is an idiot.  This should have finally opened up some eyes of the players who were so quick to defend him.  you can't do that.  those players are still going to be there.  He insulted them and the school he sold them on walking out the door.  Silly
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 18, 2014, 12:42:14 pm
Guys he just got paid 7.65 million to go to the house, and was making over 3 million a year. It's not like he has to work. He can say what he wants lol. Now, if I did that I might starve.

Having a right TO say it, especially knowing you will get paid anyway, and having a brain to know when NOT to say it are different things.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: wholehog92 on December 18, 2014, 11:14:27 am
There's two different issues going on here.  Anyone whose been married for a long time should be able to see it.

You can be right or you can be happy.

Bo chose to be right in a very public way.  The marital equivalent of what he did was post on his wife's facebook wall for all her friends to see a list of her faults after a divorce.  Sure it was dumb on her part not to boot her ex husband from her friends list, but any of her hot single friends on the periphery waiting on their opportunity just congratulated themselves on their patience.

Except you don't know if he was "right".  But he definitely wasn't happy.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

dmaxfan

Nolan dogged fans and the AD, but yet alot of you act as if he was the second coming. The only person that had a problem with what color him or his players were was himself. I am honestly tired of political correctness anyway and the fake outrage brigade.
No, you don't have any sources and no one believes you.

Tejano Jawg

I'm listening to it right now, on Deadspin. There's a lot going on in this—bitterness, extreme madness, affection for the players he's talking to, and more info than they probably want to know.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

sickboy

Quit making Bo Pelini out to be the flag bearer for the antic-pc movement. Slinging mud and calling people four letter words isn't being anti-PC... it's dumb.

You can be un-PC without being a moron. This guy is being a moron. Stop giving credit to guys like this by saying we need more people like Pelini fighting the PC world we live in. Instead, we need smart people speaking their minds and being anti-PC, and then we need to celebrate them. You guys are praising Pelini and giving a bad name to the "anti-PC" movement... if you there is such a movement. 

Hawgey-Davidson

At the end of the day............oh well, Pelini said it enough.

LZH

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on December 18, 2014, 07:27:21 am
put some clothes on....don't need a naked LZH around here!  ;)

Hey, we don't wear clothes in Florida unless you've received at least two citations.

...and what makes you think I'm not a physical specimen?  Hell man, I'm the envy of all the flatbelly boys around here. 

bondhue

Immature
No class, no dignity
speech was all about him, instead of a heartfelt goodbye to those he was supposed to be mentoring
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bondhue on December 20, 2014, 12:09:52 am
Immature
No class, no dignity
speech was all about him, instead of a heartfelt goodbye to those he was supposed to be mentoring

Bingo.

He was their coach and mentor. He did a terrible job of showing those guys that despite how you think you've been treated you should rise above it, be professional, act and talk in a mature manner, and not lower yourself to the level that you think others have done. He if really believes he is a mentor, teacher and coach he should do a better job of mentoring, teaching, coaching by setting an example of not only how to win but how to act and behave off the field just as much as on it.

lefty08

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on December 17, 2014, 07:49:03 pm
If he really cared about his players, instead of his own ugly self, he would not burden his players with this load of stuff. If he truly cared about the team he would let them transition through this difficult time without this acidic vitriol. There are supportive ways to leave your team, and this isn't one of them.
We're lucky to have an administration and staff that are co-supportive.

" GO HOGS "

after reading thids garbage i agree, and i think he may have mental issues. im being serious, his thought train ran off the tracks a few dozen times. i think the reason he talked so much crap was to hurt the athletic dept. he basically told those guys in that room to transfer
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

89ALUM

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 17, 2014, 07:18:25 pm
Youngstown is the buckle of the Rust Belt.

Youngstown is booming, actually, due to its location at the edge of the Utica shale.  They aren't back to complete prosperity yet, but it's a darned sight better than it was back when Tressel coached at YSU.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/business/an-energy-boom-lifts-the-heartland.html?_r=0

Pelini will likely do well at YSU, and then parlay that success into another D-IA job down the road.  Scumbags get hired all the time by desperate athletic directors (see: Petrino, Bobby).  Pelini maybe cost himself a bit of folding money with his rant, but the short memories of AD's and the fact he landed in a hotbed of high school talent should make his loud mouth-imposed exile from the top jobs a very temporary one.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 18, 2014, 06:52:58 am
Just more affirmation that Pellini has major self-control issues.

Which in my opinion is NOT a trait one needs to have as a coach or any adult for that matter................