Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Michigan to Harbaugh: Six Years, $48 million

Started by WilsonHog, December 17, 2014, 05:52:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Torqued pork

Anything that would make the B1G a little more watchable works for me.

MSMHawg

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2014, 05:52:06 pm
That's $8 mil a year, bros.

That's more than Saban makes ($7.1 million).

He will probably take it, the Niners are done and Jim has a big ego. Has an excuse in AnnArbor, not so in San Fran. Plus Sexton wins power ball will domino effect of other college coaches demanding raises for themselves and higher ticket prices for you and I

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 17, 2014, 06:26:21 pm
ALL coaches at that level have an ego. Quite a few Pro coaches realized it may not be all it's cracked up to be as a NFL coach and/or miss the things they had in college coaching. Several have gone back to coaching college after trying the pros. We've even hired two before.
Neither of which went to a Super Bowl...
I doubt even Harbaugh is dumb enough to go to a situation where he is seen as the savior of his alma mater, while they have an interim AD. And then, there is his wife. I doubt she will be overly anxious to move from the bay area to Michigan.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 17, 2014, 10:33:19 pm
Totally...not...worth...it. At least now the agent of their 2nd choice can start negotiations at around $6 million since he knows just how stupid Michigan is willing to get.

Hell, if Harbaugh is worth $8 mil/yr, Saban should be bumped to at least $10 mil/yr with Urban following close behind at $9 mil.

Harbaugh took Stanford to the Rose bowl, and took the 49ers to the Super Bowl and to the NFC Championship game twice.

He is worth every penny of that to Michigan.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 18, 2014, 08:48:13 am
I doubt even Harbaugh is dumb enough to go to a situation where he is seen as the savior of his alma mater, while they have an interim AD. And then, there is his wife. I doubt she will be overly anxious to move from the bay area to Michigan.
Saginaw Bay is beautiful this time of year...

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MSMHawg on December 18, 2014, 04:00:30 am
He will probably take it, the Niners are done and Jim has a big ego. Has an excuse in AnnArbor, not so in San Fran. Plus Sexton wins power ball will domino effect of other college coaches demanding raises for themselves and higher ticket prices for you and I

I just think he'll stay in NFL.  And most any NFL team will match or beat MI on the money.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

code red

Quote from: pigstuff on December 17, 2014, 06:29:21 pm
Totally ridiculous!
Agree....lots of coaches out there.....young coaches that may not be respected but could get that thing turned around....much cheaper.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2014, 06:24:14 pm
The biggest negative for Michigan is offering to make an alum the highest paid coach in college football and having him say no.

Yep, but I'm thinking he takes it.  The hard A approach doesn't seem to work in the NFL anymore.  The players have more security, tenure, and power than most of the coaches with a few exceptions.  The Belichick model seems to only work for him.  His disciples aren't nearly as successful. 

They are really following the Alabama model but making him an offer he can't refuse and handing him the keys.  He will have complete authority to mold the program anyway he sees fit.  He will be the man, basically Owner, GM, and Coach.  His name recognition, California connections and time in the NFL will help tremendously in recruiting.

While some may balk at the extremely high salary it will pay off in the long run if he can get Michigan back near the top.  Why not go all in, the only negative is like Wilson mentioned if he says "No", but even then at least you tried and showed you are serious about putting UM back on the map.  I can just see Urban developing chest pains 3 years from now.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Torqued pork

Quote from: code red on December 18, 2014, 09:06:30 am
Agree....lots of coaches out there.....young coaches that may not be respected but could get that thing turned around....much cheaper.
Rolling the dice on an unproven commodity might be more costly in the long run.

John Futrall

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 18, 2014, 08:53:59 am
Saginaw Bay is beautiful this time of year...

As is the Flint River...Just gotta dodge a few dead bodies

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2014, 06:24:14 pm
The biggest negative for Michigan is offering to make an alum the highest paid coach in college football and having him say no.

I don't really see why this is such a big deal.  People turn down jobs every day all the time.  Don't really see why college football is much different.  I think it's just a result of the internet and the 24/7 sports talk cycle.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

root_hawg

He says no; more difficult coaching college than NFL

Hoggish1

Quote from: crabeyes on December 17, 2014, 06:23:57 pm
I feel like he has too big of an ego to go back to college.

Seriously?  Saban's ego is not small and look where he went back to...

Actually I think the biggest egos are the one that go back to college.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 18, 2014, 09:42:54 am
Seriously?  Saban's ego is not small and look where he went back to...

Actually I think the biggest egos are the one that go back to college.
Yep. College coaching genius doesn't have a GM or a hands-on owner meddling in the football stuff.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Kevin on December 17, 2014, 08:49:11 pm
Wife loves the bay area.  Oakland makes sense. He could get a lot of control

Love the bay area but Oakland is the armpit of the bay area.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 18, 2014, 08:48:13 am

Michigan is a lot cheaper to live in than San Fran! That being said I will agree weather wise it would be a dumb move..........but why is his name being mentioned so much for leaving the Niners? There has to be more to it than just money and location.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 17, 2014, 10:18:59 pm
I bet Urban might have to retire for "health reasons" again.

Haha! He could tell his boss "my bank account is not healthy enough, I gotta retire until it recovers".

Jamie Jones

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 18, 2014, 10:01:13 am
Michigan is a lot cheaper to live in than San Fran! That being said I will agree weather wise it would be a dumb move..........but why is his name being mentioned so much for leaving the Niners? There has to be more to it than just money and location.
Harbaugh is a winner. His life revolves around winners and losers; and EVERY aspect of his life has one of each. He is intense and unbearable to some, including his GM. The guy scheduled practice during the opening ceremony of the new stadium, for crying out loud! His ego won't mesh with just anyone else's. And no amount of money is going to change him. I think that failing to win the SB while being so close to being the best, while at SF, has gotten him to the point of no return there. He has lost his players through all the "win or lose" beliefs he has instilled. They have quit because they know he is done at the end of this season and they have no shot anyway. He will definitely get a shot at another venue. I think he stays in the NFL, either at Oakland, Miami, or NY. But he could prove me wrong and bolt for Ann Harbor. His character will play better to 18-22 year olds than it does to grown men. Either way, Jim Harbaugh will be THE winner.

wildturkey8

An offer like that is not made unless there is a real high probability it will be accepted.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 18, 2014, 10:57:29 am
Harbaugh is a winner. His life revolves around winners and losers; and EVERY aspect of his life has one of each. He is intense and unbearable to some, including his GM. The guy scheduled practice during the opening ceremony of the new stadium, for crying out loud! His ego won't mesh with just anyone else's. And no amount of money is going to change him. I think that failing to win the SB while being so close to being the best, while at SF, has gotten him to the point of no return there. He has lost his players through all the "win or lose" beliefs he has instilled. They have quit because they know he is done at the end of this season and they have no shot anyway. He will definitely get a shot at another venue. I think he stays in the NFL, either at Oakland, Miami, or NY. But he could prove me wrong and bolt for Ann Harbor. His character will play better to 18-22 year olds than it does to grown men. Either way, Jim Harbaugh will be THE winner.

Thanks. I don't know anything about his management of the team and organization style. But I do think he did a good job at Stanford and because of that and what you have said maybe he is better suited for the college atmosphere. Like I said other coaches in the past have realized they are a better fit for college after giving the Pros a try. I will say scheduling practice during opening ceremonies of your teams new stadium doesn't sound very smart to me. I would have though it would be better to have the whole staff and team at the ceremony and practice a different time. 

opineonswine

I hope he does go.  I like him and I hope he makes Michigan better so them and OSU can beat each other up.  I don't like either school but probably like OSU the least.

Hogarusa

Smart if true from Michigan but I doubt it is.  nebraska and Wisconsin made hires that I don't believe are going to do anything to threaten what Urban is doing at Ohio St.  Michigan must swing for the fences and Harbaugh is the best of the bunch out there.  If they don't get Harbaugh though, there's no doubt whoever they end up with isn't going to be able to negotiate off that deal, unless he has a resume similar to Harbaugh.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 18, 2014, 11:38:08 am
Smart if true from Michigan but I doubt it is.  nebraska and Wisconsin made hires that I don't believe are going to do anything to threaten what Urban is doing at Ohio St.  Michigan must swing for the fences and Harbaugh is the best of the bunch out there.  If they don't get Harbaugh though, there's no doubt whoever they end up with isn't going to be able to negotiate off that deal, unless he has a resume similar to Harbaugh.

I think if they miss on Harbaugh, Mullen would be an excellent choice for them.

Jamie Jones

If Jim accepts the job, our schedule in 2018-19 will be just that much more difficult.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 18, 2014, 01:29:03 pm
If Jim accepts the job, our schedule in 2018-19 will be just that much more difficult.

In that case, I know a former SEC coach from LR who might be interested. 

goodguytex

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on December 18, 2014, 01:46:06 pm
In that case, I know a former SEC coach from LR who might be interested. 
Someone needs to call Jimmah Speed Dial Sexton!  ;D

Kevin

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 18, 2014, 09:56:36 am

It sure is. He isnt going to live there.   She can stay secure in her part of the area
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 18, 2014, 09:56:36 am
Most of the players/coaches etc., of Oakland teams do not live in Oakland. many of them live in Danville, San Ramon, Pleasanton, Lafayette and some in Alameda. 

TheArkansasTraveller

Wouldn't that put Saban's salary at 8M+$1 and 48M+$6? 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 18, 2014, 08:50:46 pm
Most of the players/coaches etc., of Oakland teams do not live in Oakland. many of them live in Danville, San Ramon, Pleasanton, Lafayette and some in Alameda. 

I don't blame them!

root_hawg

Yes on Saban but I see Harbaugh staying in the pros

LZH

Quote from: Tomhog™ on December 18, 2014, 12:10:41 pm
I would love to get paid enough I could retire in 6 years.

I would love to have NOT retired 6 years ago and now have to get off my ass.  I'm pretty sure that isn't how that's supposed to work.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 18, 2014, 11:44:27 am
I think if they miss on Harbaugh, Mullen would be an excellent choice for them.

I don't think Mullen would go unless Dak goes out early.  If Dak leaves early then I could see Mullen jumping.  They have been pretty tight and I don't see Mullen leaving Dak. DC Collins leaving may have been the first little crack. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 17, 2014, 05:52:06 pm
That's $8 mil a year, bros.

That's more than Saban makes ($7.1 million).
Saban gets an automatic raise if Harbaugh takes the job...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on December 19, 2014, 12:38:56 am
Wouldn't that put Saban's salary at 8M+$1 and 48M+$6?
Les Miles, too. Several agents eagerly hoping JH accepts!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 19, 2014, 11:16:10 pm
I don't think Mullen would go unless Dak goes out early.  If Dak leaves early then I could see Mullen jumping.  They have been pretty tight and I don't see Mullen leaving Dak. DC Collins leaving may have been the first little crack.
nobody WANTS Mullen.
Besides, the deal is done. Michigan gets their top choice. Back up the Brinks truck.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

root_hawg

Everything I am reading is that it is still in the air

Oliver

Quote from: Jamie Jones on December 18, 2014, 10:57:29 am

Harbaugh is anything but a winner.  If he was a winner, he would have won a Super Bowl with the talent he's had.  Pete Carroll is a winner.  Harbaugh has kept an inept offensive coordinator in Greg Roman way too long.  He's put his reputation on a choke artist of a "QB" in Colin Krapernick.  Harbaugh can't leave SF fast enough.  The real problem is that his terrible decisions won't leave with him. 

oldhawg

Quote from: Oliver on December 21, 2014, 12:18:26 am
Harbaugh is anything but a winner.  If he was a winner, he would have won a Super Bowl with the talent he's had.  Pete Carroll is a winner.  Harbaugh has kept an inept offensive coordinator in Greg Roman way too long.  He's put his reputation on a choke artist of a "QB" in Colin Krapernick.  Harbaugh can't leave SF fast enough.  The real problem is that his terrible decisions won't leave with him. 

Record as a college head coach at San Diego and Stanford:  58-27 (2 losing seasons in seven).

Record as an NFL coach at San Francisco:  43-19-1 (1 losing season unless SF wins this week-end, then it would be 0 losing seasons)

NFL post-season record:  5-3

It's a real stretch to call the man a loser as a head coach.

Oliver

Quote from: oldhawg on December 21, 2014, 12:05:32 pm

Record as a college head coach at San Diego and Stanford:  58-27 (2 losing seasons in seven).

Record as an NFL coach at San Francisco:  43-19-1 (1 losing season unless SF wins this week-end, then it would be 0 losing seasons)

NFL post-season record:  5-3

It's a real stretch to call the man a loser as a head coach.

Didn't call him a loser.  There are certainly worse coaches.  He can win games but can't win the big games.  Someone that can win those are my definition of a winner.  He'll never win a Super Bowl as an NFL head coach

Hogarusa

Harbaugh has certainly won plenty of big games.  Only 1 coach per year get to say they won the "big one."  Took a 1-11 Stanford team to 12-1 in 4 years. Took a 49ers squad that was without a winning record in 9 years to the Super Bowl in 2 years. He's one of the best, I wouldn't bet against him winning a title in his career
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 21, 2014, 01:15:13 pm
Harbaugh has certainly won plenty of big games.  Only 1 coach per year get to say they won the "big one."  Took a 1-11 Stanford team to 12-1 in 4 years. Took a 49ers squad that was without a winning record in 9 years to the Super Bowl in 2 years. He's one of the best, I wouldn't bet against him winning a title in his career
Agreed. If he goes to Michigan, he is going to have a lot of Big Ten championship rings.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Oliver

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 21, 2014, 01:15:13 pm

I feel comfortable letting him go and wish him the best in his new job.

oldhawg

Quote from: Oliver on December 21, 2014, 01:22:54 pm
I feel comfortable letting him go and wish him the best in his new job.

Just curious, are you a 49er's fan?

Oliver

Oliver

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 21, 2014, 01:45:37 pm
Did you see what SF was prior to Harbaugh's arrival?

Sure did.  And then I saw what Harbaugh could do as well as what he couldn't do

goodguytex

Quote from: Oliver on December 21, 2014, 12:38:54 pm
Didn't call him a loser.  There are certainly worse coaches.  He can win games but can't win the big games.  Someone that can win those are my definition of a winner.  He'll never win a Super Bowl as an NFL head coach
He's only been an NFL HC for what, three or four years? It takes time to get a team with that perfect storm to win a super bowl. Gotta be patient and give the man some time.