Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Longhorn star of 1962 win over Hogs has passed

Started by WizardofhOgZ, December 17, 2014, 04:07:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

One of the key players in the 1962 Texas-Arkansas game has passed.  It was Johnny Treadwell that, along with teammate Pat Culpepper, laid a hit on Razorback fullback Danny Brabham as he crossed the goalline that dislodged the football in the 4th quarter of that that game.  The Horns recovered the ball in the end zone, trailing 3-0.  They then drove 80 yards to score the only TD of the game in a 7-3 Longhorn win.

http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/2014/12/16/longhorn-legend-johnny-treadwell-dies/

DeltaBoy

Pat Culpepper lives in my town here in TEXAS and I see him about once a month.  We have some great conversations about The Hogs n Horns in the early 1960's .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Robert Shields

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on December 17, 2014, 04:07:37 pm
One of the key players in the 1962 Texas-Arkansas game has passed.  It was Johnny Treadwell that, along with teammate Pat Culpepper, laid a hit on Razorback fullback Danny Brabham as he crossed the goalline that dislodged the football in the 4th quarter of that that game.  The Horns recovered the ball in the end zone, trailing 3-0.  They then drove 80 yards to score the only TD of the game in a 7-3 Longhorn win.

http://longhorns.blog.statesman.com/2014/12/16/longhorn-legend-johnny-treadwell-dies/

Upon further review by the replay official the ball broke the plane before he lost control.  Hogs win.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 18, 2014, 07:56:48 am
Pat Culpepper lives in my town here in TEXAS and I see him about once a month.  We have some great conversations about The Hogs n Horns in the early 1960's .
Does he say that Texas never considered the Arkansas game a rivalry? Some here have tried to reinvent history.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 18, 2014, 02:44:35 pm
Does he say that Texas never considered the Arkansas game a rivalry? Some here have tried to reinvent history.

Mike,  Pat said they were only really banged up or sore when they Played the Hogs cause he said Coach from Central High had those Boys knocking the Hell out of US.  He said Coach Royal was only worried about OU and the Hogs. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 18, 2014, 02:44:35 pm

Those of us who were actually around and watched those games ourselves know better.