Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The rrrrrrrrrrrrrest of the Storey

Started by twistitup, December 14, 2014, 04:37:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Quote from: Pigstie on December 18, 2014, 10:53:20 am
No, it's just people like you that get your panties in a wad if a simple question is asked. For the record, I am very happy with CBB and think the worst thing that could happen is for him to not be here. I also think BA is the best option at qb as we speak. I also enjoy open minded discussion,  which some are incapable of.
In this site it is normal for people to question and praise the Razorback's players, coaches and team. But to continually harp on a subject is annoying.
The discussion about BA and the other QBs has been discussed ad infinitum.
Please move on.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Pigstie

Quote from: Piggfoot on December 18, 2014, 11:05:28 am
In this site it is normal for people to question and praise the Razorback's players, coaches and team. But to continually harp on a subject is annoying.
The discussion about BA and the other QBs has been discussed ad infinitum.
Please move on.
Yes.. I agree, the BA debate is old, and not what I submitted. But you may as well inform Twistitup who started this thread about Storey, and ask Lanny to no longer allow any thread QB related. Anything mentioned about any qb other than BA, will always bring out the defensive people, which will start the "debate" again.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pigstie on December 18, 2014, 11:43:05 am
Yes.. I agree, the BA debate is old, and not what I submitted. But you may as well inform Twistitup who started this thread about Storey, and ask Lanny to no longer allow any thread QB related. Anything mentioned about any qb other than BA, will always bring out the defensive people, which will start the "debate" again.
You didn't start the Storey thread but you were very active in it. Then you started another thread basically pushing the same issue, i.e. how long should a QB sit before he starts and if it's too long recruiting of QBs will suffer?

We all know how you feel about that. You've made it very clear.

Pigstie

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 18, 2014, 03:07:57 pm
You didn't start the Storey thread but you were very active in it. Then you started another thread basically pushing the same issue, i.e. how long should a QB sit before he starts and if it's too long recruiting of QBs will suffer?

We all know how you feel about that. You've made it very clear.
Hell Mike I'm not even 100% sure how I feel on the subject so I don't know who is thinking for me?! It's a catch 22....But I do have thoughts on it, and when I asked a question that didn't get answered I just started it in another thread. I think they are pretty valid questions for good discussion... you think it is "pushing an issue". So be it.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Pigstie on December 18, 2014, 03:50:55 pm
Hell Mike I'm not even 100% sure how I feel on the subject so I don't know who is thinking for me?! It's a catch 22....But I do have thoughts on it, and when I asked a question that didn't get answered I just started it in another thread. I think they are pretty valid questions for good discussion... you think it is "pushing an issue". So be it.
It's a valid discussion that you can't do simple math?

All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Pigstie on December 18, 2014, 04:08:44 pm
Not even close, but way to contribute tough guy.
You made a post asking how many years Ty Storey would have to wait if the guys ahead of him all played until they were gone.

Either you were trying to stir up some darn or you suck at math...
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 18, 2014, 04:18:11 pm
You made a post asking how many years Ty Storey would have to wait if the guys ahead of him all played until they were gone.

Either you were trying to stir up some darn or you suck at math...

It is possible it is AND not OR.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Lake City Hog

Question for Mike and the rest of the Mods--- Will you guys let this fellow say what is really on his mind just 1 time so maybe he can get it out of his system and maybe, just maybe he can LET IT GO!!!

He constantly gets on thread after thread and beats around the bush about BA and never really says anything. It seems to me that he is either afraid to speak his mind or he actually enjoys stirring the pot.

MuskogeeHogFan

December 18, 2014, 07:04:17 pm #158 Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:15:49 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 18, 2014, 06:51:52 pm
Question for Mike and the rest of the Mods--- Will you guys let this fellow say what is really on his mind just 1 time so maybe he can get it out of his system and maybe, just maybe he can LET IT GO!!!

He constantly gets on thread after thread and beats around the bush about BA and never really says anything. It seems to me that he is either afraid to speak his mind or he actually enjoys stirring the pot.

He has been allowed to state his opinion repeatedly. Apparently once, or many times, isn't sufficient, IMO.

Bottom line, if this staff felt that they had a better QB, experienced or not, that offered us a better opportunity this season, they would have been playing. Do coaches make mistakes at times in hoping that an injured QB brings more to the table than someone else(vs. Missouri)? Sure they do. But our staff isn't the first one to make that mistake and they won't be the last. Even then, there wasn't any guarantee that the #2 would have done any better, it is all speculation by amateurs who don't see the QB's practice, prepare and perform every day.

Same goes with Storey. He appears to have potential, but until he faces an SEC level defense and knows the offense well enough to check out of bad plays and into better plays and go through his progressions at SEC level speed, we really don't know how well he will really do. This all remains to be seen.

Far too much projection by folks who are not professionals in this field and have gained their knowledge based on playing some online simulator, X-Box, or who have simply "watched a lot of football". Leave the coaching to the guys who get paid to do so and have infinitely more experience than any of us.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 18, 2014, 07:04:17 pm
He has been allowed to state his opinion repeatedly. Apparently once, or many times, isn't sufficient, IMO.

Bottom line, if this staff felt that they had a better QB, experienced or not, that offered us a better opportunity this season, they would have been playing. Do coaches make mistakes at times in hoping that an injured QB brings more to the table than someone else(vs. Missouri)? Sure they do. But our staff isn't the first one to make that mistake and they won't be the last. Even then, there wasn't any guarantee that the #2 would have done any better, it is all speculation by amateurs who don't see the QB's practice, prepare and perform every day.

Same goes with Storey. He appears to have potential, but until he faces an SEC level defense and knows the offense well enough to check out of bad plays and into better plays and go through his progressions at SEC level speed, we really don't know how well he will really do. This all remains to be seen.

Far too much projection by folks who are not professionals in this field and have gained their knowledge based on playing some online simulator, X-Box, or who have simply "watched a lot of football". Leave the coaching to the guys who get paid to do so and have infinitely more experience than any of us.

I was, and still am, critical of the decision to play BA in the Mizzou game.  But...I'll qualify that.  I felt he should have played from the first snap, and IF he's not effective, you insert BA back in there and see if he can do better at 50%. 

If you're BB, and you see how much BA is struggling in the 2nd half, you either insert AA in that second possession, or you go with BA.  If he puts AA out there in the 4th quarter with the hope that he's going to make a difference, then you're putting added pressure on him to perform.  Also, for all of the people like me who are disappointed that he didn't trust AA more after how well he did in the Ole Miss game, BB would have been MURDERED by the fans had AA trotted out there for that final drive and thrown a pick 6.  By that time in the game, it was too late to make the change IMO.  So in effect, it ended up looking worse that it was when it got to the point that BA couldn't even get back to the huddle after every play. 

Next season, it is my hope that they make more of a concerted effort to play our back ups in the OOC games.  We've been pretty lucky with staying healthy at the skill positions for the most part, other than BA's nagging injuries, but that can all change quickly.   

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 19, 2014, 08:02:42 am

Next season, it is my hope that they make more of a concerted effort to play our back ups in the OOC games. 

The issue with that is, teams usually play their starters until they have a comfortable lead. Once they have that lead, they are in run the clock out mode.  The only way to get a back up meaning full snaps is to play him in games that are close, so they have to run the normal offense.  Teams with an established starter just do not do that.  It is why on most teams the back up will have maybe 15-20 pass attempts for a whole season. 

I said it earlier this week in a thread, QB is the hardest position to keep players happy because it is the one position that usually only one player plays the whole game. The starter gets the majority of practice snaps with the 1st team, he gets the majority of game snaps too.  While 5-8 ol play each week, 4-6 wr's, 3-4 rb's, and multiple dl, lb, an db's play, usually only one qb plays.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

woodrow hog call

I think we have two reasons to see much more play from the backup next year.
1. We know BA is done at the end and he should not need the extra snaps by that time he will be about as good as he is going to get here.
2. We know the backup (whomever it is) will be at the very least, as good as AA with another year of development, so I think we are dealing with more of a known commodity from here on out in the QB position.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

hogsanity

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 19, 2014, 12:05:10 pm

But WHERE do you get the backup that time? Do you use a platoon system? Do you just say, the backup is playing the 2nd Q in all the ooc games? How do you get the backup MEANINGFUL snaps running the regular offense?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 19, 2014, 12:05:10 pm
1. We know BA is done at the end and he should not need the extra snaps by that time he will be about as good as he is going to get here.
2. We know the backup (whomever it is) will be at the very least, as good as AA with another year of development, so I think we are dealing with more of a known commodity from here on out in the QB position.

ALL depends on how games go and injuries, etc. There are way to many variables to say.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

woodrow hog call

I kind of think you have to build it in the game plan, like you said 2nd qtr of certain games, then maybe a few more series here an there.

Pigstie

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2014, 01:53:56 pm
But WHERE do you get the backup that time? Do you use a platoon system? Do you just say, the backup is playing the 2nd Q in all the ooc games? How do you get the backup MEANINGFUL snaps running the regular offense?
I would think only when the game is decided.  BUT, once in I would let him play. Handing off right or left doesn't really help. See how is arm and scheme reading is in live action.

Mike Irwin

While it may be slightly useful to put a back up QB into a game in a blowout situation the only way to develop him into an effective starter is to start him.

I spoke to Frank Broyles about this many years ago. He said that no matter how much had gone into developing a non starter at QB he didn't have a clue how that kid would do as a starter until he was in that situation.

An exception to this would be when a backup is forced into a game that is on the line due to an injury to the starter, i.e. Tyler Wilson in the 2010 Auburn game. Yes, Tyler learned a lot from that game but for obvious reasons no coach I know of would bench his starter with a game on the line just to give his backup that experience.

gawntrail

You can script some plays set for that kid that are in your weekly plan.

Its not hard to get the kids in and get them some seasoning.

2nd and 3rd QBs are like middle relief.  If the starter's stuff is off that day, or situations dictate then you go to the pen..... and if they have good stuff you leave 'em in until the situation calls for someone else.

Pitch count dictates so much in today's game.  You could have a loose framework of measurable benchmarks that sub for pitchcount.  3 and outs.  misreads, 'happy feet', missed receivers, wrong check, etc.... a simple check sheet would tally quickly and would keep a real time count just like a pitch count.  Accountability based on objective observation is the key.  Numbers don't lie and it eliminates the emotional side of the decision.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: gawntrail on December 19, 2014, 03:55:49 pm

2nd and 3rd QBs are like middle relief.  If the starter's stuff is off that day, or situations dictate then you go to the pen..... and if they have good stuff you leave 'em in until the situation calls for someone else.

Pitch count dictates so much in today's game.  You could have a loose framework of measurable benchmarks that sub for pitchcount.  3 and outs.  misreads, 'happy feet', missed receivers, wrong check, etc.... a simple check sheet would tally quickly and would keep a real time count just like a pitch count.  Accountability based on objective observation is the key.  Numbers don't lie and it eliminates the emotional side of the decision.
Football is nothing like baseball. Maybe I've been asleep but I don't recall seeing any middle relief QBs.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 04:01:03 pm
Football is nothing like baseball. Maybe I've been asleep but I don't recall seeing any middle relief QBs.

these guys prove over and over that they are doing nothing but crying over something that they do not have the nerve to just come out and say.

gawntrail

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2014, 04:25:40 pm
these guys prove over and over that they are doing nothing but crying over something that they do not have the nerve to just come out and say.

I am on the record with my opinion of the QB play and the playcalling.

gawntrail

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 04:01:03 pm

That's why I did not suggest a simple count, instead using it as a point of reference.  I offered some suggestions of what to watch for and what to tally as they directly reflect the qb play. The only generalized tally I suggested was 3 and outs.  Sometimes there is something behind those, that the qb may be directly responsible for.

Doug

Quote from: gawntrail<<inane moronically jackwagonish drivel removed>>
Did you seriously just compare a Quarterback to a pitching rotation?

Good lord... where did you come from... Europe?

Please... go back there.

Image is linked, rather than embedded out of respect for everyone else in this thread that's not P.W.S.

Crack is whack, yo!
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

gawntrail

Quote from: Doug on December 19, 2014, 06:16:26 pm
Did you seriously just compare a Quarterback to a pitching rotation?

Good lord... where did you come from... Europe?

Please... go back there.

Image is linked, rather than embedded out of respect for everyone else in this thread that's not P.W.S.

Crack is whack, yo!

I used a known measurement (pitch count) as an example of how an objective list of measurable can be applied to the qb position.  I did say the back ups could be compared to relief pitchers.  A loose comparison is directly on point here.  If your starter is not handling his business in a manner in which victory is the probable outcome, then its time to visit the mound.  In football terms it would be between series.  But, the point is the same.  And, such a decision would be based on objective criteria that are direct measurements of the qb.

Deliberately being obtuse and/or erecting strawmen so you may whimsically dismiss a debatable issue and valid opposing opinion does not change the fact that there is a team, an institution, a student body, AND a fanbase that deserves the absolute best product on the field.

Coaches make mistakes.  As do players.  And, granted fans get their panties all wadded up over them.  My main point is not dwelling on the obvious shortcomings we have in our qb play AND offensive development.  I'm most interested in how we fix these things.

Time is not on anybody's side.   So, giving it time does not answer the pressing questions, nor does it address the underlying issues.  It does allow for some sympathetic cover.  I personally, would rather deal with the underlying issues before the pitchforks and torches get passed around.

woodrow hog call

Lake City Hog

How many of you remember when Lou was HC? It seems to me like Lou had a set policy of playing the entire 2nd unit on either the 2nd or 3rd series of EVERY game. Anyone else remember this?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: gawntrail on December 19, 2014, 06:50:12 pm
I used a known measurement (pitch count) as an example of how an objective list of measurable can be applied to the qb position.  I did say the back ups could be compared to relief pitchers.  A loose comparison is directly on point here.  If your starter is not handling his business in a manner in which victory is the probable outcome, then its time to visit the mound.  In football terms it would be between series.  But, the point is the same.  And, such a decision would be based on objective criteria that are direct measurements of the qb.

Deliberately being obtuse and/or erecting strawmen so you may whimsically dismiss a debatable issue and valid opposing opinion does not change the fact that there is a team, an institution, a student body, AND a fanbase that deserves the absolute best product on the field.

Coaches make mistakes.  As do players.  And, granted fans get their panties all wadded up over them.  My main point is not dwelling on the obvious shortcomings we have in our qb play AND offensive development.  I'm most interested in how we fix these things.

Time is not on anybody's side.   So, giving it time does not answer the pressing questions, nor does it address the underlying issues.  It does allow for some sympathetic cover.  I personally, would rather deal with the underlying issues before the pitchforks and torches get passed around.
Football coaches do not change QBs like managers using their bullpen in a baseball game. It simply does not happen. Yes, sometimes a starter is replaced during a game. It almost happened to Alabama's Blake Sims against Auburn. It is also true that some coaches use a two QB system. Zak Clark and Matt Jones did this for the Hogs in 2001. But to suggest that a football coach would use his No. 2 and No. 3 QBs like middle relief pitchers, pulling the starter and inserting them into a game based on some sort of a predetermined set of parameters is one of the oddest things I've ever read on this board.

I'll have to bounce this one off of Jim Chaney the next time I see him. Wonder how he will react?

Pigstie

If we had a "Blake Bell" type QB for special situations I would be all for it. But otherwise no.

twistitup

I say we field 2 qb's ( maybe 3) at once. Ball could be snapped to either depending on the situation

Feed the hot hand
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

gawntrail

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 08:01:50 pm
Football coaches do not change QBs like managers using their bullpen in a baseball game. It simply does not happen. Yes, sometimes a starter is replaced during a game. It almost happened to Alabama's Blake Sims against Auburn. It is also true that some coaches use a two QB system. Zak Clark and Matt Jones did this for the Hogs in 2001. But to suggest that a football coach would use his No. 2 and No. 3 QBs like middle relief pitchers, pulling the starter and inserting them into a game based on some sort of a predetermined set of parameters is one of the oddest things I've ever read on this board.

I'll have to bounce this one off of Jim Chaney the next time I see him. Wonder how he will react?

Is it odd to go to a different back if your #1 puts the ball on the ground?

Is it odd to change punt returners when your #1 calls for a fair catch inside the 10 and/or induces a coronary by muffing a returnable kick?

Is it odd to sit a receiver that jaws so much it cost 15 yards at the most inoppurtune time?

No.  Of course not.  Because anybody can see that the mistakes are so graven action must be taken in order to right the ship.

So, why is it so foreign to go ahead and recognize that your #1 qb is either s#!%ing the bed or dinged up to the point he's not 100% or worse....both, and put him on the bench and right the ship with #2?

Is there another position in team sports held up as such?  No.  Why?  EGO or incompetence is my theory.  Either a coach (or staff) are so invested in a player that a change is equivalent to admitting the decision was wrong ... EGO.... Or, there was no real preparation of backups... Incompetence.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: gawntrail on December 19, 2014, 09:09:25 pm

Is it odd to change punt returners when your #1 calls for a fair catch inside the 10 and/or induces a coronary by muffing a returnable kick?

Is it odd to sit a receiver that jaws so much it cost 15 yards at the most inoppurtune time?

No.  Of course not.  Because anybody can see that the mistakes are so graven action must be taken in order to right the ship.

So, why is it so foreign to go ahead and recognize that your #1 qb is either s#!%ing the bed or dinged up to the point he's not 100% or worse....both, and put him on the bench and right the ship with #2?

Is there another position in team sports held up as such?  No.  Why?  EGO or incompetence is my theory.  Either a coach (or staff) are so invested in a player that a change is equivalent to admitting the decision was wrong ... EGO.... Or, there was no real preparation of backups... Incompetence.

Cool story bro.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: gawntrail on December 19, 2014, 09:09:25 pm

Nice theory. It won't work. If it would football coaches would have been doing it for a hundred years.

The position of QB is different from any other position on the field. It's different from any other position in any other team sport.

Pigstie

Quote from: twistitup on December 19, 2014, 08:34:02 pm
I say we field 2 qb's ( maybe 3) at once. Ball could be snapped to either depending on the situation

Feed the hot hand
Exactly!  Constant half back passes the entire game.

Pigstie

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 19, 2014, 07:55:54 pm
How many of you remember when Lou was HC? It seems to me like Lou had a set policy of playing the entire 2nd unit on either the 2nd or 3rd series of EVERY game. Anyone else remember this?
I don't recall that far back, but I think mullen does something similar on defense.

Mike Irwin

By the way QBs do get replaced for failing to perform. But that's not what you proposed. You suggested a bullpen approach, bringing in multiple QBs at various times in a game based on a list of no no's the coaches would keep.

Chaney to coach B: Hey I just saw Brandon display a bad case of happy feet. Get Austin in.

Chaney to coach B: Crap Austin just stared down that receiver and almost got picked.   Get Rafe in there.

Coach B to Chaney: Rafe just got picked. You're fired.

twistitup

Quote from: Pigstie on December 19, 2014, 10:01:54 pm
Exactly!  Constant half back passes the entire game.

They come at you do fast...it messes you up
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

The real Hogules

We may not have the best receiving group in all of college football, but a more accurate QB could solve a LOT of our offensive woes.
It's nothing personal against Brandon Allen, but I honestly feel that had Rafe, or even Austin been given the # of snaps that Brandon received that they could have done at the very least as well as our current starter has done over the past two seasons.
I also believe that by your QB's JR season you should be able to insert your backup QB in runaway OOC games and allow them to run the entire offensive package. That way if your starter at QB does receive a semi-serious injury later on in the season, you don't feel that your best option is to keep the starter in and play a gimpy and ineffective QB.
I watched as USC-W played their backup QB in Fayetteville and continued to run their offense, which included throwing the ball around and scoring touchdown(s).
The bottom line in this particular game was that it was our defenses job to stop USC-W from scoring and not the USC-W's coaching staffs job to reign in their potent offense.
I feel that our staff should adapt this same offensive philosophy when we are blowing out an opponent, as we did in all of our OOC games this season.
There, I didn't beat around the bush and I said EXACTLY what I was thinking, with no agenda other than stating my feelings on this particular subject.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

gawntrail

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 10:09:24 pm
By the way QBs do get replaced for failing to perform. But that's not what you proposed. You suggested a bullpen approach, bringing in multiple QBs at various times in a game based on a list of no no's the coaches would keep.

Chaney to coach B: Hey I just saw Brandon display a bad case of happy feet. Get Austin in.

Chaney to coach B: Crap Austin just stared down that receiver and almost got picked.   Get Rafe in there.

Coach B to Chaney: Rafe just got picked. You're fired.

'Pitch count dictates so much in today's game.  You could have a loose framework of measurable benchmarks that sub for pitchcount.  3 and outs.  misreads, 'happy feet', missed receivers, wrong check, etc.... a simple check sheet would tally quickly and would keep a real time count just like a pitch count.  Accountability based on objective observation is the key.  Numbers don't lie and it eliminates the emotional side of the decision.'

^^This is cut and paste from my post.  No where is it proposed you pull a guy for one thing.  I suggested a score sheet that is like pitch count.  Every play tallied like every pitch.  Coupled with an objective set of criteria..... then a coach can make a solid evaluation without the heat of the moment getting in the way.

gawntrail

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 19, 2014, 09:50:09 pm
Nice theory. It won't work. If it would football coaches would have been doing it for a hundred years.

The position of QB is different from any other position on the field. It's different from any other position in any other team sport.

The only reason the QB position is like this is because the offensive systems are too complex?  Or is it because the coaching time allocation is distributed unevenly amongst the QB group?  Both?

This is my argument against having an offensive system/philosophy that takes 4 years to learn.

Pigstie

WilsonHog

Quality football discussion was much easier before the measuring stick for participation became the ability to win a championship on Madden. Now the barbarians are storming the gate.

Kevin

Quote from: Lake City Hog on December 20, 2014, 10:07:17 am
This will be my last comment on this thread. and some of you will probably say "thank God".
The sheer stupidity in this thread is amazing!

Using a "pitch count" score sheet to decide if a player should be pulled? Please tell me that you are kidding.
Making a statement that IF 1 of the other QB's had been given equal snaps in practice that we would be at least where we are right now and maybe better. Sure, our HC is playing BA just to keep Bobby Allen happy. I mean after all he is so valuable that we took him off the field and put him in the front office.( I happen to think that Bobby Allen was a pretty darned good coach!)

One of our more knowledgeable posters "Chill" made the comment a month or so ago that our pass routes are "simple". For those of you that think a QB change is going to fix our offense, sorry that in itself won't do it. Simply putting a speed burner on a "go" route and heaving the ball deep isn't really a strategy. The sad fact is that in the SEC a ton of corners can cover the fastest guys out there.
Sitting on your fat ass on the couch watching a replay it is real easy to spot an open receiver, running from a whole herd of 300 pounders trying to break you in half? Not quite as easy. Same thing goes for actually hitting that receiver in a spot where he can catch it and the DB can't.

I will admit to everyone that we have a problem with our passing game, but it ain't our QB and it ain't our receivers. BA, AA and RP were ALL very successful QB's, KH, CH. JC, KE and DM were all very successful receivers. Sure the competition level has gone up, but in theory so has the coaching.
IN MY OPINION, and it is only my opinion we need desperately to revamp our passing game by upgrading our routes and better utilizing our players.

Totally agree about uitilization of players
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pigstie on December 20, 2014, 01:27:43 pm
Good post! While I agree, you need to watch voicing you're opinion.  That means you think you know more than the coaches and play too much xbox.  :D
When a poster who is very active in this forum suddenly disappears it's usually a sign that....

a) Somebody in their family has had enough of the hours they spend on the Internet.

or

b) They earned themselves a vacation from this place courtesy of one of the Administrators.

Mods don't ban you. Admins can and will. Not that it matters to me one way or the other but you seem to enjoy waving a red flag in front of the Admins. They've noticed.

Good luck.

ldfergu

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 20, 2014, 02:56:29 pm
That's what you feel? That's nice.

But the coaches have this thing called practice. Where they evaluate quarterbacks. Where they determine who the starter will play.

You have seen Austin Allen play a few snaps this year.
You have seen Rafe Peavey in the spring game.

Based upon that evidence, which is the only evidence you have access to, you "feel" that they could have done better.

Your reasoning skills need some serious work.

It would be interesting to watch Rafe vs Austin for a half in next years spring game.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on December 20, 2014, 03:07:04 pm
It would be interesting to watch Rafe vs Austin for a half in next years spring game.
The best you're going to get is each directing the two offense against the one defense.

They did that, sort of, last year. As I recall Peavey had some threes in his unit when he faced the one defense. Austin directed the backup offense without any threes.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 20, 2014, 03:34:33 pm
Thanks for you critique of my opinion.
I'm well aware that the coaches conduct practices. It'd be nice to have a backup QB prepared, so that if the starter was injured, or was just having a rough outting we had another option, other than riding the storm out with an ineffective QB.
I typed that veeeeeeery sloooooowly so that maybe you'd be able to understand the point that I was attempting to convey.
Did you miss the Ole Miss game?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on December 20, 2014, 03:41:36 pm
or

c) They realized discussion making the same complaints over and over and over wasn't allowed is discouraged on this message board, so left.
Yeah, that's possible too.

gawntrail

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 20, 2014, 03:49:30 pm
Yeah, that's possible too.

(it didn't include your edit of the other posters remark, that is what this is aimed at)

When is a topic or opinion sufficiently discussed/argued?

Why is it ok to discuss something from a homer's perspective ad nauseum, yet an objective or dissenting opinion is met with intolerance?

I understand decorum.  I understand manners.  I even get good taste.  And, to be consistant, there needs to be rules.....

But, this is not pee wee league or dance recital where we're critiquing each other's child.  These are young men who accepted a scholarship to a big time college and are expected to perform.  These are men who are paid above average salaries to coach said young men and they are expected to deliver results.

Doug

Quote from: gawntrailEven more bandwidth and hard drive wasting drivel removed...
Quote from: Mike IrwinMods don't ban you. Admins can and will. Not that it matters to me one way or the other but you seem to enjoy waving a red flag in front of the Admins. They've noticed.
gawntrail, you would be wise to heed Mike's advice here.

Quote from: Mike IrwinGood luck.
Amen. The clock started ticking several pages ago for ya, gawntrail.

Enjoy your newfound "popularity", gawntrail. If you keep up on this ignorant path, you will find your time here drastically reduced.

Congrats on yet another thread locked due to complete horsecrap posts from imbecilic people.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: gawntrail on December 19, 2014, 03:55:49 pm

Seriously. This is the biggest load of crap I have read in a long time. How hard did you work on trying to sound like you know what you are writing about? It was wasted time. This is merde.
[CENSORED]!