Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big XII Meeting With Expansion Candidates

Started by NaturalStateReb, December 09, 2014, 02:07:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Buck Brewer on December 19, 2014, 09:05:44 am
TV ratings for college football in Memphis is impressive.  Put Memphis in a power conference with better marque home games and attendance gets boosted. If somehow the city could get a 55,000 to 60,000 seat indoor stadium as part of a new convention center in or around Beale, it becomes a great place to catch a game as a visiting team. It also would allow Memphis to elevate the bowl game and host the later rounds of the NCAA tourney among other things. The Forum is an excellent setting for conference basketball tourneys.

People can deride Memphis all they want but it has tons of potential.

There are great college football ratings in Memphis, but not for Memphis.  They are largely from Memphians watching SEC football.  Maybe they'd watch Tiger High if they were in the Big XII, but they've historically not supported the football team.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

PonderinHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 19, 2014, 10:53:15 am
There are great college football ratings in Memphis, but not for Memphis.  They are largely from Memphians watching SEC football.  Maybe they'd watch Tiger High if they were in the Big XII, but they've historically not supported the football team.
Nor have they been in a conference like the Big 12.  It ain't the SEC, but what conference is?

opineonswine

But it's such a crap school.  The higher ups here told me, before A&M and Mizzou, that the SEC would not invite West Virginia because of their academic standing and reputation as a school.

Buck Brewer

Historically they had no reason to, they were independent while the Tigers competed in the Metro in basketball and had nothing much to play for. While successful under West with players like D'Angelo Williams they drew every bit as well as TCU and  Baylor does today. Notice that TCU and Baylor went smaller with their new stadiums.

Inhogswetrust

December 19, 2014, 12:09:34 pm #254 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:44:06 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PonderinHog on December 19, 2014, 10:56:51 am
Nor have they been in a conference like the Big 12.  It ain't the SEC, but what conference is?

I think the point is HOW much more in attendance and TV ratings would be generated by tiger high fans alone by getting into the little 12? Of course there would be some new interest BUT what some of us are trying to say is it already is SEC country and loyalties are very divided. The SEC fans all around here could care less about watching Memphis no matter what conference they were in UNLESS they were playing the bigger traditional conference programs of tejas and OU. That still wouldn't increase attendance from SEC fans but would generate more interest and thus SOME increase in attendance. Would it be a large amount? I doubt it. Would it generate more money for the school? Sure it would by having more come from the conference and a little more from a small group of boosters. would it be enough for them to compete consistently with the other members of the little 12? Almost everyone doubts that exempt maybe in basketball. There is no outpouring of support in any large numbers for tiger high football or any other sport besides mens basketball. Their attendance this year ranged from a little over 44K ALL the way down to a little over 16K. That's 16 thousand! They have more than that for basketball sometimes! That doesn't scream add me to a P5conference. I don't think after living here for over twenty years and talking to people and reading and hearing the media that it would mushroom up tremendously. Just because the metro area has a little over a million people doesn't mean there are thousands more tiger high supporters chomping at the bit to suddenly spend money or time on them or even has that money. Do they have some boosters of course. BUT they do not have a large number of consistent financially supporting fans. Their private fund raising $ through the Highland Hundred is small compared to any average P5 conference member. The only thing that Memphis has going for it is the geographic location relatively close to the center of the little 12 as apposed to other potential candidates. Some of this is why I and others are saying adding them would be another desperation move by the little12. Could it happen maybe. Doesn't mean it should but it could. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

East TN HAWG

I think the question is very simple.  Can Memphis State generate more revenue to OU and TX than the Big 12 would have to contribute back annually to Memphis State? 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 19, 2014, 01:14:33 pm
I think the question is very simple.  Can Memphis State generate more revenue to OU and TX than the Big 12 would have to contribute back annually to Memphis State? 

Good question! Maybe IF they renegotiated the media rights for the conference, got enough with a CCG or redid the leagues "share" per teams or a combination of different things. Unless something like those are done I doubt it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: East TN HAWG on December 19, 2014, 01:14:33 pm

Probably not.  But with conference championship games currently worth about $20 million--and the Big XII could probably get much more than that now, since they could pitch it as a probable play-in game for the playoffs--enough to offset the addition of one school, presuming it brought absolutely nothing to the table. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 19, 2014, 03:45:13 pm
Probably not.  But with conference championship games currently worth about $20 million--and the Big XII could probably get much more than that now, since they could pitch it as a probable play-in game for the playoffs--enough to offset the addition of one school, presuming it brought absolutely nothing to the table. 

One more school isn't enough to get to the conference championship minimum number. That would require two additions. Then the money pie would have to grow even larger exponentially to make it worthwhile to split with two more schools.

dagnamit

Memphis in the Big 12 - I like it.

You dim whits that think folks will not fill the stadium to watch the Tigers play TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Tech, West Virginia, well maybe not Iowa State are fools.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dagnamit on December 19, 2014, 04:55:33 pm

You dim whits that think folks will not fill the stadium to watch the Tigers play TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Tech, West Virginia, well maybe not Iowa State are fools.

I guarantee they wouldn't. Maybe the first few games and after that only the well known programs would fill it. It would ONLY be full maybe for tejas and OU consistently and THAT's assuming they bring a lot of their fans with them as well. The only time the little 12 teams fill up their OWN stadiums is no different than any other conference. It needs to be two really good top of the conference teams and/or rival or big programs. Heck Baylor even built a brand new stadium that is 5,000 SMALLER than their old one and they are a really good team!

dagnamit

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 05:05:43 pm
I guarantee they wouldn't. Maybe the first few games and after that only the well known programs would fill it. It would ONLY be full maybe for tejas and OU consistently and THAT's assuming they bring a lot of their fans with them as well. The only time the little 12 teams fill up their OWN stadiums is no different than any other conference. It needs to be two really good top of the conference teams and/or rival or big programs. Heck Baylor even built a brand new stadium that is 5,000 SMALLER than their old one and they are a really good team!
I did not say sold out. I said they would fill it. I had a buddy go to the Bama game on the Hill and he and his family of 6 had no problems getting finding tickets in front of the stadium. He told me he got all of them for around $150. Nobody sells out anymore. Doesn't matter the opponent.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dagnamit on December 19, 2014, 05:22:27 pm
I did not say sold out. I said they would fill it. I had a buddy go to the Bama game on the Hill and he and his family of 6 had no problems getting finding tickets in front of the stadium. He told me he got all of them for around $150. Nobody sells out anymore. Doesn't matter the opponent.

I did NOT say "sold out" either I said "fill" just like you did. Try again.

dagnamit

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 05:32:49 pm
I did NOT say "sold out" either I said "fill" just like you did. Try again.
Done. Crazy to think a town that supports a NBA team and a College basketball team would not support a team that was in the Big 12. Done.

PonderinHog

Quote from: dagnamit on December 19, 2014, 04:55:33 pm

Meh, just a bunch of directional schools, right?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dagnamit on December 19, 2014, 05:38:57 pm
Done. Crazy to think a town that supports a NBA team and a College basketball team would not support a team that was in the Big 12. Done.

Crazy you would think just because they HAVE an NBA team that RARELY fills the arena here OR a college basketball team that doesn't fill the same arena that it would extrapolate to fans supporting or filling a football stadium. Especially with the history that tiger high has. Yep you're done alright!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 05:42:11 pm
Crazy you would think just because they HAVE an NBA team that RARELY fills the arena here OR a college basketball team that doesn't fill the same arena that it would extrapolate to fans supporting or filling a football stadium. Especially with the history that tiger high has. Yep you're done alright!
Maybe we're just not as smart as you think you are.  ;)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: dagnamit on December 19, 2014, 05:38:57 pm

A potentially far better Big 12 basketball town than a Big 12 football town. Unfortunately, the big money and expansion is for the most part, 99% of the time, about football, not basketball. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

I think Memphis would surprise some folks if they got into a good conference.
Wouldn't surprise me to see that football program improve rapidly.
Conference affiliation means a lot.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Buck Brewer

Quote from: hoglady on December 19, 2014, 06:21:34 pm

Football program has improved rapidly with Fuentes. They went from losing to Sunbelt teams to going to overtime against UCLA in the Rose Bowl and  their Defense gave Ole Miss fits for three quarters. It will be interesting with how they do against BYU in Miami.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 19, 2014, 03:48:37 pm
One more school isn't enough to get to the conference championship minimum number. That would require two additions. Then the money pie would have to grow even larger exponentially to make it worthwhile to split with two more schools.

True, but I think it can. Right now, these conference championship games make about $20 million, but remember that these contracts predate the playoff system. Now that these championship games are forming a de facto quarterfinal, their value is potentially much higher.  It's not inconceivable that the number could be $30 million or more, since the games are more important and will attract more interest than ever.  The Big XII has a chance to take advantage of signing the first championship game contract after the establishment of the playoffs.

It's not like teams like Cincy or Memphis would bring no value.  The value of a conference championship game, combined with the lesser values of these schools might well even the numbers up.

LZH

I have nothing but contempt for the Texas/OU+10-2 Conference.  Piss on 'em.  I'll rejoice the day that whole outfit goes down in flames.

And to think there are those on here right now that wanted Arkansas to leave the SEC and join that cluster*.  Unreal.

Pavlov's Hog

Conferences will never add a fledgling program based on their future possibilities. They must have shown an ability for success and commitment for sustained success.

Also, we look at schools as fits based on football. How do they fit with their Olympic sports? Are the willing to invest in baseball, men and women's Olympic sports, and more importantly, academics.

Universities are beholden to their academic staff. They want to be associated with other universities that share similar academic values. Some people don't understand how political every decision universities make is.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on December 19, 2014, 10:02:56 pm
I have nothing but contempt for the Texas/OU+10-2 Conference.  Piss on 'em.  I'll rejoice the day that whole outfit goes down in flames.

And to think there are those on here right now that wanted Arkansas to leave the SEC and join that cluster*.  Unreal.

In all fairness, this thread isn't about whether we love or hate the Big 12. Like you, I am glad that we aren't a part of the Texas (Big) 12. Now go back to your beach chair and have another Corona. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

December 20, 2014, 07:05:25 am #274 Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:00:18 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PonderinHog on December 19, 2014, 05:44:08 pm
Maybe we're just not as smart as you think you are.  ;)

Maybe I'm not that smart. But I've lived in and worked in Memphis a long time. I interact with fans for all different sports and teams here all the time. I've lived in worked in both tejas and Oklahoma and know a lot of little 12 teams fans. My nephew's wife even went to Colorado when they were still in the little 12 on a soccer scholarship and she was from Austin, TX. Her Dads a huge longhorn fans and I have a great time conversing with him when in town. My wife was born raised and lived here most of her life. She mentors students from the UM. As a matter of fact we are going to one of their weddings tonight. I DO agree that local UM fans love good basketball. Some of the Grizzlies fans are not also tiger fans but obviously some are. A huge number of SEC college football fans here. No so much for the little 12 or Memphis in football or any other sport but basketball. I agree they would draw more fans but not that they would fill up or even sell out. Here is a quote from the Memphis Business Journal from September of this year:

In 2012, average attendance for Memphis football was 24,371 and the following year improved to 28,537.

This year as I said the highest attended game in the Liberty bowl for Memphis was 44,000....the lowest was ONLY 16,000. That is with pretty good team! They would draw better but ONLY for the bigger well known programs in the little 12.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 19, 2014, 06:03:29 pm
A potentially far better Big 12 basketball town than a Big 12 football town. Unfortunately, the big money and expansion is for the most part, 99% of the time, about football, not basketball. JMO

Bingo.

Inhogswetrust

Memphis would still have to recruit against all the SEC teams as well the little 12 with middle of the road facilities and no history and no wide scale recruiting base or budget. Would they get some decent players sure they would. Most teams do. Would they steal enough from the SEC and other little 12 members I doubt it.

Inhogswetrust

December 20, 2014, 07:20:24 am #277 Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:50:06 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Buck Brewer on December 19, 2014, 07:36:29 pm
Football program has improved rapidly with Fuentes. They went from losing to Sunbelt teams to going to overtime against UCLA in the Rose Bowl and  their Defense gave Ole Miss fits for three quarters. It will be interesting with how they do against BYU in Miami.

They may win. Who knows. They usually always play SEC teams tough though. I know I've seen them beat us, old misses and tenner! They are like a lot of other programs in that they come close sometimes but usually fall short.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 20, 2014, 07:20:24 am
They may win. Who knows. They usually always play SEC teams tough though. I know I've seen them beat us, old misses and tenner! They are like a lot of other programs in that they come close sometimes but usually fall short.

I'm not a big Memphis fan, but they did scare the crap out of UCLA this year and were tied with them early in the 4th quarter. UCLA needed a 4th qtr scoring drive to escape visiting Memphis.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 22, 2014, 08:02:46 am
I'm not a big Memphis fan, but they did scare the crap out of UCLA this year and were tied with them early in the 4th quarter. UCLA needed a 4th qtr scoring drive to escape visiting Memphis.

They have a winning record against us......what's your point? I did say they played teams tough but USUALLY come up short.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 22, 2014, 08:08:33 am
They have a winning record against us......what's your point? I did say they played teams tough but USUALLY come up short.

My point? Uh, a Monday morning conversation about football. I wasn't disagreeing with you.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

Born Memphian here......just born there.

The idea that Tiger high can build football program is a joke right?

Iowa St @ Memphis......attendance 21K.  Is that a success?

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

East TN HAWG

Most conferences expand to increase footprint, but that is not as big of a motivation for the Big 12 because the existence of the LHN.  The LHN negates the need to expand footprint because without Texas in the fold no national outlet will pick up a potential Big 12 Network.  Folks in the Memphis market will not subscribe to the LHN for a single game per year between Texas and Memphis.   

The LHN cripples the 9 other members of the Big 12, and as a whole the conference will not be able to keep up with the other 4 conferences.  Before A$M left, the Big 12 was clearly the number 2 conference in football.  The erosion has began.  Within a couple of years, the Big 12 has gone from powerful to not being the fifth wheel, and it's only going to get worse.  Top athletes in TX are looking outside the Big 12 at record numbers.  The Big 12 better make some key actions soon, or the problem will snowball and it will be too late.   

Until Texas gives up the LHN, the biggest reason to add Memphis State is for a championship game.

SwinerBock

I am probably among the minority here, but I think Memphis, in the right circumstances, could be decent again as a football team.  I kind of liken them to the high school teams in Little Rock. Good potential if you can get the right coach in there.

Conference expansion is all about how many eyeballs you can add to your TV contract, recent actual performance on the field be darned.  This means chasing new markets for your conference, not firming up existing ones.  Otherwise, the Big12 would just add SMU and Houston or Rice, and call it a day. 

Personally, I think they are still holding out hope that they can entice ND into the fold.  I think ND has to have seen the writing on the wall.  They need a *full* conference affiliation to keep schedule strength up and have a chance at the playoffs, and the ACC ain't it.

But back to Memphis.  It doesn't *matter* if the fans will attend the games or not.  It doesn't *matter* if the fans will watch on TV or not.  What *matters* is being able to launch a Big12 network, and getting cable systems to agree to carry it for a modest fee per household in the Big12's "home" markets.

psooie

IF Memphis joins the big 12, Texas and Oklahoma  will be leaving the big 12.

NashvilleHog

Word is that Memphis has told the Big XII that it will not take any of their revenue sharing for a couple of years, if admitted, and that the boosters are prepared to bankroll the difference.

I live in Memphis now and they are abuzz about the possibility.  They will turn out for the Big XII.  Memphis in the Big XII wouldn't impact us much, but would be devastating for Ole Miss and State, as they recruit hard in Memphis.  It would be a game-changer for sure. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 22, 2014, 08:11:14 am
My point? Uh, a Monday morning conversation about football. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

O.K. Thanks!  My bad................It's Monday and I'm still woozy from the weekend!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: tusked on December 22, 2014, 08:11:56 am
Born Memphian here......just born there.

The idea that Tiger high can build football program is a joke right?

Iowa St @ Memphis......attendance 21K.  Is that a success?

Or the traditional powerhouse Kansas football! I bet they draw at least 20K for that match up of heavyweights!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NashvilleHog on December 22, 2014, 11:10:04 am
Word is that Memphis has told the Big XII that it will not take any of their revenue sharing for a couple of years, if admitted, and that the boosters are prepared to bankroll the difference.

I live in Memphis now and they are abuzz about the possibility.  They will turn out for the Big XII.  Memphis in the Big XII wouldn't impact us much, but would be devastating for Ole Miss and State, as they recruit hard in Memphis.  It would be a game-changer for sure. 

A couple of years.....now that's funny! They only have about two boosters big enough to give them the kind of money each year to bank roll it. Heck even the big shot booster club the Highland Hundred's main man's family the Byrd's from the Bank of Bartlett does't have that kind of money. I don't know who you listen to in Memphis but I've lived here for 17 years this time and I have NOT heard one thing about it except in very casual passing. It is NOT ABUZZ anywhere. They will not turn out for it consistently. At first the "novelty" would have some looking in so to speak. To think even if they DID somehow get in the little12 that it would devastate old misses and States recruiting is laughable. I guess you don't realize just how many old misses and State fans, alums and supporters there are in the Memphis area. You're wrong I bet if you think with all the BIG numbers of SEC schools alums, fans and supporters that they would suddenly "show up" to support tiger high just because they got in the little12. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SwinerBock on December 22, 2014, 09:40:50 am
I am probably among the minority here, but I think Memphis, in the right circumstances, could be decent again as a football team.  Good potential if you can get the right coach in there.

Conference expansion is all about how many eyeballs you can add to your TV contract, recent actual performance on the field be darned.  This means chasing new markets for your conference, not firming up existing ones.  Otherwise, the Big12 would just add SMU and Houston or Rice, and call it a day. 

True of 99% of any football programs with concerns to a coach. As far as the TV's are concerned ratings meaning actual viewership DOES matter not just fees for broadcasting.

Jamie Jones

I don't see any major programs that could generate enough revenue, on their own merit, to justify the expansion. The schools that the BigXII would need to pull in, aren't just going to leave their respective conference for a smaller share of Texas' and Oklahoma's pie. The only benefit to the expansion is the chance to again play a CCG, with the winner having a shot at the big money prize. But on the other hand, if they have two 1 loss teams, they could very well get both in the playoff in most years. It only hurt them this year because of the way things played out. I think Texas and Oklahoma should broker to keep the status quo for the good of the conference. 😉
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

NashvilleHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 22, 2014, 11:39:57 am
A couple of years.....now that's funny! They only have about two boosters big enough to give them the kind of money each year to bank roll it. Heck even the big shot booster club the Highland Hundred's main man's family the Byrd's from the Bank of Bartlett does't have that kind of money. I don't know who you listen to in Memphis but I've lived here for 17 years this time and I have NOT heard one thing about it except in very casual passing. It is NOT ABUZZ anywhere. They will not turn out for it consistently. At first the "novelty" would have some looking in so to speak. To think even if they DID somehow get in the little12 that it would devastate old misses and States recruiting is laughable. I guess you don't realize just how many old misses and State fans, alums and supporters there are in the Memphis area. You're wrong I bet if you think with all the BIG numbers of SEC schools alums, fans and supporters that they would suddenly "show up" to support tiger high just because they got in the little12. 

While I haven't lived in Memphis for 17 years, I've lived here for 8 and know all about the place.  There are more than 2 SVP's and EVP's at FedEx who are huge Memphis boosters and will write checks.  That's not counting the ones at AutoZone, IP and Medtronic. 

As for recruits, many players leave the area because they want to play in a P5 conference.  If Memphis is in the Big XII, some players that have been leaving to go to Ole Miss and State will absolutely stay at home.  They do it in basketball and no reason to think they can't in football.  To think otherwise is not looking at reality. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

BigBen

I don't know why everyone only thinks they are going to only try and add 2 teams I think they need to make a splash so I see them trying to add 4. I think BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cinci would all add solid football and basketball programs and would put the big 12 back up as on of the top conferences.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 22, 2014, 08:02:46 am

Saw them in person against Ole Miss.  Very good defense, poor offense.  They still reeled off 9 wins in Fuentes' first season.  Very impressive first campaign.

Inhogswetrust

December 22, 2014, 03:47:07 pm #294 Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:45:30 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: NashvilleHog on December 22, 2014, 02:20:11 pm
While I haven't lived in Memphis for 17 years, I've lived here for 8 and know all about the place.  There are more than 2 SVP's and EVP's at FedEx who are huge Memphis boosters and will write checks.  That's not counting the ones at AutoZone, IP and Medtronic. 

As for recruits, many players leave the area because they want to play in a P5 conference.  If Memphis is in the Big XII, some players that have been leaving to go to Ole Miss and State will absolutely stay at home.  They do it in basketball and no reason to think they can't in football.  To think otherwise is not looking at reality. 

As far as FedEx is concerned Fred is a supporter but he is more involved in other sporting adventures. Those SVP's and VP's my wife knows about all of them and works directly for two of them. I'll ask her. I worked for Pitt a while back (more directly than Autozone). Know him pretty well. Although he is a supporter he is not a "big booster" all the time. It depends on what they ask for. He also supports his Alma Mater UNC pretty big. I will also say he has other more important things to worry about and spend his money on. He is a great ambassador for the Memphis area though and one of the best bosses I've ever had. You might want to check to see how many P5 players leave for other conferences teams besides the SEC also. It isn't as many as you might think AND it is some that either had ties to them OR were not heavily recruited by the SEC teams for some reason. Players here WANT to play in the SEC. Anything else is considered a step down for them other than the traditional nationally known programs. To think that some would stay home just to play for a little 12 team named Memphis over tejas, OU and others in that league would be false a huge amount of the time. IF they are recruited as being good enough to play in the P5 then they would still choose the SEC teams over Memphis 9 out of 10 times.   

online-with-swine

West Virginia is on an island.  Not getting Louisville when they had the chance was stupid.  Cincinnati and UCF would both help WV and the b12.

SwinerBock

Quote from: BigBen on December 22, 2014, 02:32:55 pm
I don't know why everyone only thinks they are going to only try and add 2 teams I think they need to make a splash so I see them trying to add 4. I think BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cinci would all add solid football and basketball programs and would put the big 12 back up as on of the top conferences.
Quite simply this... unless they can attract programs that are needle-movers (ie - BYU, ND) when it comes to the Big12 TV contract, IF they are going to add any teams, they will add only the minimum number of schools as necessary (2) to qualify for being able to hold a conference championship game, because the Big12 schools will *not* want to split the pot any further than they have to.  Any more than 2, the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

Now, if BYU, ND, and two other schools of similar stature were available, then yeah the Big12 could go 14 instead of 12. 

SwinerBock

Quote from: online-with-swine on December 22, 2014, 03:55:52 pm
West Virginia is on an island.  Not getting Louisville when they had the chance was stupid.  Cincinnati and UCF would both help WV and the b12.
WV in the Big12 cannot be a long-term solution.  I just don't see WV (nor their fans) being all that happy with it.  The question is: is it up to the conference(s) to remediate the situation?  Or is the school pretty much stuck with it?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on December 22, 2014, 03:07:06 pm
Saw them in person against Ole Miss.  Very good defense, poor offense.  They still reeled off 9 wins in Fuentes' first season.  Very impressive first campaign.

I'm curious about the answers that we get to these questions as it applies to each potential expansion candidate for the Big 12.

First, let's list the potential expansion candidates.

1.   BYU
2.   Memphis
3.   Cincinnati
4.   Houston
5.   UCF
6.   Notre Dame
7.   SMU
8.   Boise State
9.   Colorado State

If you are the Big 12 home office, you have to be asking yourself some of these questions.

1.   What do we gain by adding any of these teams aside from having enough teams to have a CCG?
1.a.   National prestige of the school to be added, increasing the perception of the value of the Big 12 as it relates to the negotiation of t.v. packages?
1.b.   Regional relevance, if that is even a factor?
1.c.   Average attendance/support of the fan base?
1.d.   Available money to support ongoing improvement in facilities that are on par with other Big 12 schools?
1.e.   Do they participate in other sports that are common among Big 12 schools and if so, what value do they bring to the conference as a whole?
1.f.   Do they add to our revenues per share, or are they drain to the revenues per share?
1.g.   Do they open up new t.v. markets?
1.h.   Does their locale help establish greater opportunities for recruiting?
1.i.   Are there travel concerns for teams other than football and basketball?

I'm not saying that these are the all-encompassing questions, but certainly some of the questions that would be posed and some of the schools being considered may pose some of the same questions on their own behalf. In other words, what do they gain by joining and do they feel capable of being a contributing and valuable addition?

I think if those questions are answered on a candidate by candidate basis, you have a better idea of who might be considered for an invitation.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog