Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

philon

Started by gmarv, December 06, 2014, 05:14:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gmarv

what is the odds that darius goes pro this year.if hes a second rounder does he go.

Bubba's Bruisers

I don't want to think about it.  We're already losing 2 of our 3 best D players. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hogfan46

I think he stays.

My question is how did he not get any votes for all SEC?!?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 06, 2014, 05:16:22 pm
I think he stays.

My question is how did he not get any votes for all SEC?!?

SEC is strong!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 06, 2014, 05:25:11 pm
SEC is strong!!

Very Strong & Loaded with NFL ready Defensive Lineman.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hogfan46

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 06, 2014, 05:28:38 pm
Very Strong & Loaded with NFL ready Defensive Lineman.

I understand, it definitely is.  A ton of big time D Tackles. Just thought he would at least get a few votes.

trashcan maN

Quote from: gmarv on December 06, 2014, 05:14:49 pm
if hes a second rounder does he go.
Darius is 30 lbs too light to sniff the top 2 rounds. The lightest pro bowl DT last year was 302 lbs, 30 pounds heavier than Philon is even listed. Darius probably weighs at least 5 pounds less than his listed weight.

flagstaffhog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 06, 2014, 05:15:46 pm
I don't want to think about it.  We're already losing 2 of our 3 best D players. 

My thoughts exactly. ....
Go HOGS Go!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Hogfan46 on December 06, 2014, 05:31:09 pm
I understand, it definitely is.  A ton of big time D Tackles. Just thought he would at least get a few votes.

If it's any consolation this Freshman class of D-Lineman is easily the best to step on campus that I can recall.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ricepig

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 06, 2014, 05:39:07 pm
If it's any consolation this Freshman class of D-Lineman is easily the best to step on campus that I can recall.

Yep, the ceiling is very high for this group. Having said that, we need Philon back as bad as we needed Flowers to come back.

wupigsuey

Just a sophomore, no?
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Hogfan46

Yep, solid recruiting by CBB and staff. They are definitely laying the building blocks on both lines we will need to win championships.

reddogjcss

Hope everybody that has eligibility stays.

ricepig

bennyl08

Geno Atkins only weighed 293 at the combine. He also ran a ridiculous 4.73 forty and had a 33 inch vertical!
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

JackJohnson

I'll be impressed if it is better than Philons class- whom still have 2 more years to go. 

Lewis, Winston, wise, Johnson and of course philon were all highly recruited coming in and consisted of 3/4ths of the starters on what some considered the best DL in the SEC and definantly the best DL at Ark in a very long time

RAZORHOGG15

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 06, 2014, 05:36:41 pm
Darius is 30 lbs too light to sniff the top 2 rounds. The lightest pro bowl DT last year was 302 lbs, 30 pounds heavier than Philon is even listed. Darius probably weighs at least 5 pounds less than his listed weight.
So your telling me that you believe that Darius philon weighs 267 pounds?
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

trashcan maN

Im telling you hes LISTED at 272 and we're 4 months into the season. Draw your own conclusions.

HOGINTENNESSEE

pigture perfect

He would have been the best D-lineman for Alabama had he played for them tonight. I'm glad Saban missed on him.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Bkhardicars

not an expert by any means, but when word got out that JW was gonna test the waters, my first thought was"I hope Philon doesn't".... I believe he'd get drafted higher than JWill...Hope BB recruits him back like he did with Flowers..I don't know what the heck Hatcher is thinking..Must be doing it just for fun..Oh well, if they go, I hope they go high in the draft and make bazillions of dollars..It will only help in recruiting..Same in BB. I used to worry about stuff like that, but if Portis is a lottery pick, Monk and Allen will see they too can achieve that level of success here at home..Wish all the football guys would stay another year...I think we're a year away From getting to where we reload Vs rebuild..

hawgfan4life

Difference a year can make in draft position for a DT is huge.  Would likely pay to stay

RAZORHOGG15

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 06, 2014, 08:18:43 pm
Im telling you hes LISTED at 272 and we're 4 months into the season. Draw your own conclusions.
Ok here is my conclusion, you must be looking at our website and getting your info.  I am looking at our program that has him listed at 287.  And since I have met him "don't know if you have or not" and I am 265, I can tell you he make me look like a boy.  Conclusion is website has not been updated and he is not 267.  I will finish with agreeing with you that I'm not sure he is a top two round talent yet, but he will be in another year or two.  Potential too be top DT in the country

bennyl08

Official Roster weights are generally made around late July FWIW, spring weights are usually done in mid-January.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Iwastherein1969

Philon is going to stay at least one more year....the kid feels like he's home...he's a hero on campus and he'll be, IMHO, the voussoir which holds our ever improving defense together....unbelievable talent, a nose for the football and can beat double teams and if he is wise, Darius will follow the path put forth by Trey Flowers to the NFL....Trey would have been a latter round pick with no guarantees to make an NFL squad if he had declared last year for the draft, now Flowers will be a likely 1st round pick, no later than second and will be an unbelievable outside backer in a 3-4 defense....think about it Darius, do you want a Maxima now, or wait a year or two for the NFL and get that BENZ ?   it's your choice, my man
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChitownHawg

what is the odds that darius goes pro this year.if hes a second rounder does he go.

I think CBB said he wouldn't speak against going for the draft if his player gets the report showing they are 2nd round or higher. This was in a discussion last year about Flowers. IIRC then Philon would be gone if the report projected him that high.

If I were consulting with Philon I would point to Flowers. He was kind of in the shadow of CS and his senior year helped him step out of that shadow. Philon could do the same thing next year.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

longpig

Don't a lot of kids do this to get specifics on what to work on for the next year?
Don't be scared, be smart.

The NewEra

With Philon's size, strength, speed and nose for the football, would it be a good idea to move him to the DE position?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on December 07, 2014, 02:17:04 am
Philon is going to stay at least one more year....the kid feels like he's home...he's a hero on campus and he'll be, IMHO, the voussoir which holds our ever improving defense together....unbelievable talent, a nose for the football and can beat double teams and if he is wise, Darius will follow the path put forth by Trey Flowers to the NFL....Trey would have been a latter round pick with no guarantees to make an NFL squad if he had declared last year for the draft, now Flowers will be a likely 1st round pick, no later than second and will be an unbelievable outside backer in a 3-4 defense....think about it Darius, do you want a Maxima now, or wait a year or two for the NFL and get that BENZ ?   it's your choice, my man

Your comments about comparing to Trey's situation is right on, and will be the example used for years to come.  As it should be,imo.

RAZORHOGG15

Quote from: The NewEra on December 07, 2014, 09:59:58 am
With Philon's size, strength, speed and nose for the football, would it be a good idea to move him to the DE position?
I would think he only becomes a DE in a 3 front

hawg IQ

He's not ready to go pro, he needs to stay here long enough to make first team all sec.  He needs to be nominated for some post season awards and enhance his stock enough to make a little money.
     If he goes too early it will most likely be his undoing. As good as he is, he's just not ready for sunday play yet.
go hogs go !

Hoggish1

Quote from: wupigsuey on December 06, 2014, 05:53:27 pm
Just a sophomore, no?

He is a red-shirt Soph, so he's been here three years.  Need him back, though!

jgphillips3

I wouldn't be surprised to see him ask for evaluation, but I think he is smart enough to stay at least one more year and get himself in position for size able guaranteed contract money.

ricepig

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 07, 2014, 08:07:29 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see him ask for evaluation, but I think he is smart enough to stay at least one more year and get himself in position for size able guaranteed contract money.

Philon, Hatcher, and Williams have all asked for an evaluation per Bielema.

longpig

Quote from: RAZORHOGG15 on December 07, 2014, 11:16:53 am
I would think he only becomes a DE in a 3 front
Philon doesn't have the ranginess of a DE, imho, at this level or the next. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

HogsBalls

He's coming back and will be bigger and stronger next year.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: trashcan maN on December 06, 2014, 05:36:41 pm

Darious projects as a DE in a 3-4 scheme.  His size is not an issue.

I think he returns for 1 more year though.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Arazorbackguy1

Are you strong? We strong.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

gmarv

I think hes one of cbb most important recruits just like flowers was last year.
also think what flowers did last year by coming back makes it more likely he comes back.i hope so he could be a great hog.

NLRHog92

urkillnmesmalls

I was surprised to hear rumblings of him considering going out.  I think it would be a mistake.  I'm hoping he's just getting his name out there so that a scout or two will make it a point to watch him a little more closely this season to help his future prospects in the draft.  It's like a preemptive strike...and probably not a bad strategy.  At lease I hope that's what it is....   :-\
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2014, 08:23:49 pm
Philon, Hatcher, and Williams have all asked for an evaluation per Bielema.
what? No Brandon Allen? But there's a receiver. I thought we didn't have any good receivers. All i've heard all year.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Tim Harris

If he is a 2nd rounder he needs to go.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 15, 2014, 08:35:57 am
If he is a 2nd rounder he needs to go.

That would be surprising, but the SEC has such a good history of D lineman to the NFL, that I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Still...I can't really see him making an impact on the NFL without some added strength and size, but I could be dead wrong.  He's a solid player, but not a standout, and I'd hate to see him get lost in the shuffle up there. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 15, 2014, 08:32:01 am
what? No Brandon Allen? But there's a receiver. I thought we didn't have any good receivers. All i've heard all year.

He's asking for his grade. That's all.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

acey33

Quote from: The NewEra on December 07, 2014, 09:59:58 am

This is what I'm thinking as well and even better in a 3-4 alignment

Tim Harris

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 15, 2014, 08:45:18 am
That would be surprising, but the SEC has such a good history of D lineman to the NFL, that I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility.  Still...I can't really see him making an impact on the NFL without some added strength and size, but I could be dead wrong.  He's a solid player, but not a standout, and I'd hate to see him get lost in the shuffle up there. 

I'm not saying he will get that sort of feedback but if he does he should go.

tusksincolorado

Including Hampton and Walker?
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ricepig

Quote from: tusksincolorado on December 15, 2014, 09:42:40 am
Including Hampton and Walker?

Coming in, or after they leave?