Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, November 26, 2014, 10:47:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: opineonswine on December 05, 2014, 08:30:42 am
I hear Oregon State fans are happy campers...so there's that.

Let's see how happy they are after the new hire.

BR

Kansas will hire Texas A&M WR coach David Beaty as its new head coach
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

The_Iceman

Quote from: BR on December 05, 2014, 11:45:10 am
Kansas will hire Texas A&M WR coach David Beaty as its new head coach

David Beaty coaching experience:
2012  Texas A&M, Wide Receivers
2011  Kansas, Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers
2010     Rice, Offensive Coordinator
08-09 Kansas, Wide Receivers

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HF#1

I think it's a solid hire for Kansas.  An out of the box type hire. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: reddogjcss on December 03, 2014, 11:06:47 pm
GUS to Wolverines!

Funny, I just heard Mike Gundy might be nearing a deal to be Michigan's guy. We'll see. I think he would do well there. Kinda makes me wonder if Gundy would be ready to get out from under Stoops' shadow in the state.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Scarlett Johansson's Liberally and Amply Slathered Frito Pie on December 06, 2014, 05:43:54 pm
Funny, I just heard Mike Gundy might be nearing a deal to be Michigan's guy. We'll see. I think he would do well there. Kinda makes me wonder if Gundy would be ready to get out from under Stoops' shadow in the state.

Rumblings around this area involve the disbelief of how Gundy is conducting himself, especially with the media as a representative of Okla State. He has an ongoing issue with his AD Mike Holder and there is speculation that he is doing everything that he can (outside of coaching football) to irritate his superiors to the point that he is fired, which of course negates his buy-out. But I think Mike Holder would exit Okla State before Gundy does.

A purposeful tactic? Not sure.

Boone Pickens issues with Gundy have involved his record against OU, but Gundy put that to bed for the time being last night.

But Gundy to Michigan? That would be a difficult fit in my opinion. I could have seen him going to Nebraska or maybe even Florida, but both of those ships have sailed.
Go Hogs Go!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: opineonswine on December 05, 2014, 08:30:42 am
I hear Oregon State fans are happy campers...so there's that.

There are a lot of nice places to go camping in Oregon so they should be happy.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2014, 07:06:06 am
Rumblings around this area involve the disbelief of how Gundy is conducting himself, especially with the media as a representative of Okla State. He has an ongoing issue with his AD Mike Holder and there is speculation that he is doing everything that he can (outside of coaching football) to irritate his superiors to the point that he is fired, which of course negates his buy-out. But I think Mike Holder would exit Okla State before Gundy does.

A purposeful tactic? Not sure.

Boone Pickens issues with Gundy have involved his record against OU, but Gundy put that to bed for the time being last night.

But Gundy to Michigan? That would be a difficult fit in my opinion. I could have seen him going to Nebraska or maybe even Florida, but both of those ships have sailed.

I think Gundy is a good coach with a Napoleon complex or little man's syndrome. Is that your take as well?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

root_hawg

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 07, 2014, 08:10:13 am
I think Gundy is a good coach with a Napoleon complex or little man's syndrome. Is that your take as well?

He is certainly full of self confidence. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 07, 2014, 08:10:13 am

You just described 90% of FBS head coaches.  Lots of Type A personalities.

I was surprised by OSU's drop off this year, but he has built a pretty solid program in Stillwater.  I'm not sure that he is a good fit at Michigan.

You just wonder where Michigan would be right now if they had kept RichRod.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DukeOfPork on December 08, 2014, 10:45:59 pm
You just described 90% of FBS head coaches.  Lots of Type A personalities.

I was surprised by OSU's drop off this year, but he has built a pretty solid program in Stillwater.  I'm not sure that he is a good fit at Michigan.

You just wonder where Michigan would be right now if they had kept RichRod.

I think there is a difference between a Type A personality and a Napoleon complex.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2014, 08:34:57 am
I think there is a difference between a Type A personality and a Napoleon complex.

Not really. Napoleon was just a short Type A.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jesterzzn on December 09, 2014, 10:11:16 am
Not really. Napoleon was just a short Type A.

It wasn't his height that made him have Type A personality. His complex may have derived from his height. You can STILL be Type A without the complex.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2014, 11:58:42 am
It wasn't his height that made him have Type A personality. His complex may have derived from his height. You can STILL be Type A without the complex.

The complex is purely colloquial. 

Theolesnort

There is a story behind the Gundy thingy but it might just be false gossip so I will keep my mouth shut for now.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

BR

Gary Andersen reportedly leaving Wisconsin for Oregon State

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4hxzFdCUAA6O2b.jpg
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

wildhogman

Quote from: BR on December 10, 2014, 04:33:33 pm

So maybe the stories about Alverez being a control freak coould be true if this coach bailed on them after just 2 years and to oregon st lol

WilsonHog

Quote from: BR on December 10, 2014, 04:33:33 pm

Wisconsin is losing coaches to Oregon State now?

hog.goblin

goodguytex

Ole Barry just needs to go ahead and make himself HC/AD for life at that place. Especially if he can't keep a HC.

Dropkick

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 26, 2014, 10:47:17 am
It's almost that time of year again...

We'll use this thread to track all the movement.

Buffalo - Jeff Quinn (Fired). IN - Lance Leipold (Wisc.-Whitewater).

Colorado State - Jim McElwain (Florida HC). IN -

Florida - Will Muschamp (Fired). IN - Jim McElwain (Colorado State).

Houston - Tony Levine (Fired). IN -

Kansas - Charlie Weis (Fired). IN - David Beaty (A&M WR Coach).

Michigan - Brady Hoke (Fired). IN -

Nebraska - Bo Pelini (Fired). IN - Mike Riley (Oregon State).

Oregon State - Mike Riley (Nebraska HC). IN - Gary Andersen (Wisconsin).

SMU - June Jones (Resigned). IN - Chad Morris (OC, Clemson).

Troy - Larry Blakeney (Retiring). IN - Neal Brown (OC, Kentucky).

Tulsa - Bill Blankenship (Fired). IN -

UNLV - Bobby Hauck (Resigned). IN - Tony Sanchez (Bishop Gorman HS).

Wisconsin - Gary Andersen (Oregon State). IN -

I think Justin Fuente may get a chance at a better job as these dominoes fall. Would Houston be a step up from Memphis or is that lateral?

Doug

Tulsa and Houston would be lateral, at best.

Colorado State is ALMOST lateral, but a slight step up.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dropkick on December 11, 2014, 07:59:33 am
I think Justin Fuente may get a chance at a better job as these dominoes fall. Would Houston be a step up from Memphis or is that lateral?

With what he is doing at Memphis, I think he could take a little bigger step than that.

goodguytex

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 11, 2014, 08:19:26 am
With what he is doing at Memphis, I think he could take a little bigger step than that.
Maybe get a chance as HC at Wisconsin?

hogwild210

Quote from: goodguytex on December 11, 2014, 09:48:29 am
Maybe get a chance as HC at Wisconsin?

Why not? Everyone else is!
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Doug on December 11, 2014, 08:19:17 am
Tulsa and Houston would be lateral, at best.

Colorado State is ALMOST lateral, but a slight step up.
Houston is a step up for one reason.  Texas talent, and tons of it.

A good recruiter could turn Houston into a dangerous team again, like they were in the '80s.
All Gas, No Brakes!

root_hawg

Report is Tulsa making a run a Auburn OC

Torqued pork

According to tigerdroppings.com a Michigan reporter is saying the Wolverines have contacted Les Miles' agent. The report is being denied.

Tim Harris

Quote from: root_hawg on December 11, 2014, 11:59:38 am

Baylor OC will be the coach at Tulsa

The_Iceman

Quote from: root_hawg on December 11, 2014, 11:59:38 am

I bet Houston will go after him too.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 11, 2014, 02:25:40 pm
Baylor OC will be the coach at Tulsa

Yes. In fact, he may have been offered already and is deciding whether to take it. We should know later tonight.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

channel 6 in Tulsa finished it's 5pm newcast by announcing Phillip Montgomery (Baylor OC) is the new TU HC.

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

Dropkick

The_Iceman

Quote from: Dropkick on December 12, 2014, 07:54:43 am
Schiano to Pitt?

That might end up being where he lands. He just seems like a good fit in the Big 12.

dh027

Poor Hootie. Of the two jobs where his name came up, UNLV ends up hiring a high school coach instead of him and Tulsa picks Baylor's OC. 

grayhawg

Hootie's reputation is more toxic than some realized.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: dh027 on December 12, 2014, 11:43:03 am
Poor Hootie. Of the two jobs where his name came up, UNLV ends up hiring a high school coach instead of him and Tulsa picks Baylor's OC. 

UNLV hasn't forgotten how he stunk it up in the bowl game there...............

goodguytex

Can someone please explain to me how hiring a HS coach as the HC of a major college program makes any sense? I don't get it.

Oklahawg

Quote from: goodguytex on December 12, 2014, 04:51:10 pm
Can someone please explain to me how hiring a HS coach as the HC of a major college program makes any sense? I don't get it.

Three reasons I can think of:
1. low investment risk. You can low-ball the salary and right in all sorts of clauses (ie, buyout) that protect you if it works, but gives you easy wiggle room if it is a bust move.
2. recruiting contacts with area coaches
3. HS coach is hungry to prove they belong

reddogjcss

One Michigan board has working out final deal with Harbaug . Not sure on spelling.

root_hawg

I can't see Harbaugh heading to Michigan; too many NFL teams will be looking for head coaches

The_Iceman

Quote from: root_hawg on December 16, 2014, 09:40:02 am
I can't see Harbaugh heading to Michigan; too many NFL teams will be looking for head coaches

He'd really have to want to go back into College Coaching. Teams like the Raiders, Dolphins, etc. are all going to go after him.

Torqued pork

If Harbaugh goes to Michigan it will be for the same reason Saban and Spurrier went back to college - control.

husker71

add the Bears to that list.

Hogwild

Phillip Marshall (auburn writer) is saying they are in talks with Shannon for their LB coach position.