Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If 1969

Started by bphi11ips, October 30, 2014, 10:13:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

And the Stoernover, and the roadside ditch, etc., are not enough to convince you Arkansas is snakebit, this will.

Arkansas once hired Bear Bryant as head coach.  Bryant was driving to Fayetteville on December 7, 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.  He became Lieutenant Commander Bryant the next day.

I give up.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

I've heard that Bear story, but somebody refuted it on here a few months ago.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 30, 2014, 10:20:57 pm
I've heard that Bear story, but somebody refuted it on here a few months ago.

I just read it myself for the first time, so maybe it isn't true.  Cool story, tho

TOM "tbw1"

Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

cosmodrum

Not sure why God thought I deserved all this, but I must be a real POS.
Go away, batin'

redeye

Quote from: preachr on October 30, 2014, 11:01:01 pm
http://bryantmuseum.ua.edu/direction.cfm?dir=bio

Hard to argue that!

Some other interesting notes from the timeline:

1931 - Alabama assistant coach Hank Crisp comes to Fordyce trying to sign the Jordan twins, who opt to go to Arkansas. Crisp leaves with one Paul Bryant.

Considering history and precedence, I'm gonna guess we didn't even recruit Bryant.

1957 - John David Crow wins the Heisman Trophy for Texas A&M but the big news is that Paul Bryant is leaving after the Gator Bowl to coach his alma mater The University of Alabama. He finishes with a record of 25-14-2 at College Station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the same year we hired Broyles away from Missouri.  We certainly got a good one in Broyles, but I wonder if there was any attempt to hire Bryant?

snoblind

Quote from: redeye on October 30, 2014, 11:36:12 pm
Hard to argue that!

Some other interesting notes from the timeline:

1931 - Alabama assistant coach Hank Crisp comes to Fordyce trying to sign the Jordan twins, who opt to go to Arkansas. Crisp leaves with one Paul Bryant.

Considering history and precedence, I'm gonna guess we didn't even recruit Bryant.

1957 - John David Crow wins the Heisman Trophy for Texas A&M but the big news is that Paul Bryant is leaving after the Gator Bowl to coach his alma mater The University of Alabama. He finishes with a record of 25-14-2 at College Station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the same year we hired Broyles away from Missouri.  We certainly got a good one in Broyles, but I wonder if there was any attempt to hire Bryant?

Broyles was hired in 58, the next year.

redeye

Quote from: snoblind on October 30, 2014, 11:44:29 pm
Broyles was hired in 58, the next year.

And Bryant's first season at Alabama was in '58.

scruf

Arkansas is definitely not snakebit because there's no such thing.

Iwastherein1969

sorry to burst this bubble of love for maybe the greatest college football coach of all time....but our menace when he would have coached at the UA was the Texas Longhorns....Bear Bryant had less success with the much despised Horns than did JFB....FYI, the first victory Alabama had over Texas was the 2010 NC game...they had 8 tries before 2010
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

It doesn't matter.

Any team who starts Jerry Jones' body on the offensive line deserves what they get.  He's not even a true Arkansan.  He was born in East Los Angeles.

Regardless, whoever knowingly and willfully receives and pays $ for any kind of "cosmetic procedure" after the age of 57 deserves to be forced into becoming a lifelong Aggie fan.

Jerry Jones deserves nothing less.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

welchog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 31, 2014, 04:21:24 am
sorry to burst this bubble of love for maybe the greatest college football coach of all time....but our menace when he would have coached at the UA was the Texas Longhorns....Bear Bryant had less success with the much despised Horns than did JFB....FYI, the first victory Alabama had over Texas was the 2010 NC game...they had 8 tries before 2010
I guess Bama is the antisnake bite as one of those Texas losses still brought them a NC   1964

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: welchog on October 31, 2014, 04:39:22 am
I guess Bama is the antisnake bite as one of those Texas losses still brought them a NC   1964
Arkansas was the 1964 National Champions....I don't care what the AP says....we were the ONLY undefeated team after the full season ended and we beat the team that beat the team that the AP crowned champions...by the way, 90% of the writers of the AP also voted in the last poll that made the Hogs the NC....same voters, just different results after all the games were played....say it loud, and say it proud, the Hogs were the 1964 National Champions

welchog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 31, 2014, 04:44:23 am
Arkansas was the 1964 National Champions....I don't care what the AP says....we were the ONLY undefeated team after the full season ended and we beat the team that beat the team that the AP crowned champions...by the way, 90% of the writers of the AP also voted in the last poll that made the Hogs the NC....same voters, just different results after all the games were played....say it loud, and say it proud, the Hogs were the 1964 National Champions
History is kind to Bama.  Like Winston Churchill, they wrote most of it.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: welchog on October 31, 2014, 04:48:56 am
History is kind to Bama.  Like Winston Churchill, they wrote most of it.
so very true....and their math, which should never be subjective, is as fuzzy as Brooke Shields navel when she was 25

secfan30

Quote from: scruf on October 30, 2014, 11:50:53 pm

I've seen snake bites

secfan30

Quote from: welchog on October 31, 2014, 04:39:22 am

They also claim a national championship from a year where they had a losing record.

bphi11ips

Not according to Cubs fans.

I also read at the same source that we did recruit Bryant, but he was an Alabama fan.  Arkansas's coach took Bryant to a college All-Star game in Dallas, and during halftime he slipped out to find a radio to listen to the Rose Bowl, where Alabama was playing.

HoggieStyle

When the defining moment of your program is a game you lost...well...

JaxFlaRazorback

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 31, 2014, 04:32:56 am
It doesn't matter.

Any team who starts Jerry Jones' body on the offensive line deserves what they get.  He's not even a true Arkansan.  He was born in East Los Angeles.

Regardless, whoever knowingly and willfully receives and pays $ for any kind of "cosmetic procedure" after the age of 57 deserves to be forced into becoming a lifelong Aggie fan.

What the heck is YOUR freeking problem?  Please crawl back under YOUR rock.

1highhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 31, 2014, 04:44:23 am

More and more these days you will hear Sportscasters speak of Arkansas being the 1964 National Champions.  They used to not say that.  They realize the error made then and finally Arkansas is pretty much universally considered the National Champions, except in Bama.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on October 31, 2014, 04:32:56 am
It doesn't matter.

What the HELL does Jerry Jones have to do with Bear Bryant?

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 30, 2014, 10:13:24 pm
And the Stoernover, and the roadside ditch, etc., are not enough to convince you Arkansas is snakebit, this will.

Arkansas once hired Bear Bryant as head coach.  Bryant was driving to Fayetteville on December 7, 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.  He became Lieutenant Commander Bryant the next day.

I give up.

You forgot the Reggie Fish muffed punt

MJ2

You're looking back on the failures in not hiring Bear Bryant, I suspect future generations will wonder how Gus could have been passed over by the U of A too.    We live with our misstakes, unfortunately.

bphi11ips

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 31, 2014, 07:42:01 am
You forgot the Reggie Fish muffed punt

That was the reason for "etc.".  There are others, like Jon Brittenum's shoulder injury in the first half of the 1966 Cotton Bowl.  But for that, we would likely be talking about back-to-back NC's and a 26 game winning streak.

PonderinHog

Quote from: MJ2 on October 31, 2014, 07:44:31 am
You're looking back on the failures in not hiring Bear Bryant, I suspect future generations will wonder how Gus could have been passed over by the U of A too.    We live with our misstakes, unfortunately.
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.   ;D

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 31, 2014, 07:51:26 am
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.   ;D

Cut off the head and the body dies.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 31, 2014, 07:50:31 am
That was the reason for "etc.".  There are others, like Jon Brittenum's shoulder injury in the first half of the 1966 Cotton Bowl.  But for that, we would likely be talking about back-to-back NC's and a 26 game winning streak.

No one will ever win 26 straight in the SEC

JIMMY BOARFFETT

I give up.

Another reason we don't owe Japan an apology.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

PonderinHog

Quote from: preachr on October 30, 2014, 11:01:01 pm
http://bryantmuseum.ua.edu/direction.cfm?dir=bio
So I thought I was wrong, but I was actually right, which means I've still never been wrong.  Right ???

rickm1976

I give up.

As if we didn't feel bad enough already.  Thanks a lot.  I guess that's the other reason my uncle who served in the Pacific in WWII hated the Japanese 'till the day he died.  He used to have a bumper sticker that said "Ask me about those Texas refs!"

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 31, 2014, 08:04:45 am
So I thought I was wrong, but I was actually right, which means I've still never been wrong.  Right ???

It sounds to me like you were wrong about being right.  Right?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

bphi11ips

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 31, 2014, 08:34:54 am
As if we didn't feel bad enough already.  Thanks a lot.  I guess that's the other reason my uncle who served in the Pacific in WWII hated the Japanese 'till the day he died.  He used to have a bumper sticker that said "Ask me about those Texas refs!"

God Bless your Uncle.

I used to have a tee shirt hanging on my wall that said "If Bull$#!+ were white I could ski across Texas." 

1highhog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on October 31, 2014, 07:58:36 am
Another reason we don't owe Japan an apology.

Yep, just like we don't owe a single dang Country not one penny, especially China.  Why in the heck do we supposedly owe China anything when we saved their lives and Country in WW2?  We lost many young men over there plus in today's money billions of dollars in goods both military and economic in keeping them from starving to death.  They didn't pay for that, the reason for their economy being what it is today is because of our Government making it that way, so what do we owe them, nothing.

PonderinHog

Quote from: 1highhog on October 31, 2014, 08:42:21 am
Yep, just like we don't owe a single dang Country not one penny, especially China.  Why in the heck do we supposedly owe China anything when we saved their lives and Country in WW2?  We lost many young men over there plus in today's money billions of dollars in goods both military and economic in keeping them from starving to death.  They didn't pay for that, the reason for their economy being what it is today is because of our Government making it that way, so what do we owe them, nothing.

Cinco de Hogo

I give up.

You forgot Jimmy Johnson too.

1highhog

Send them all packing back to China.  The same way a poster above me stated I believe about his Grandfather not liking the Japanese is the way my Dad feels about the Chinese after having to fight them during the Korean War.  Hates them with a passion and goes out of his way as I do in not buying anything from China, that's very hard to do these days.

rickm1976

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 31, 2014, 08:37:29 am
God Bless your Uncle.

I used to have a tee shirt hanging on my wall that said "If Bull$#!+ were white I could ski across Texas." 

LOL.  He was a real character.  He dmn near disowned me when I bought a Toyota Truck and told him I would support my son if he got a scholarship offer from the Longhorns (we were living in San Antonio at the time).  Texas didn't offer (neither did the Hogs), and my son ended up going to Kansas.  My uncle said he should have walked on at Arkansas and turned down a free ride anywhere else, but he wasn't paying the bills, and I couldn't stand the thought of my boy playing for Nutt.  My uncle was as true of a Hog fan as there ever was.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 31, 2014, 08:52:46 am
You forgot Jimmy Johnson too.
Well, thanks for bringing that up.   >:(

DeltaBoy

Sure we are We missed the Bear, Lost in 69 78-79 and several other games like FLA 09.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 31, 2014, 08:34:54 am
My uncle Walter Winslow Lytle Jr. (his dad was born in Arkansas south of Mena) was wounded in the first wave of Japanese mortars after landing on Saipan. He was leaning on the carriage of an artillery cannon after loading it when a mortar fragment tore through his left forearm. The arm collapsed and he hit his head on the gun carriage knocking him out cold. That saved his life because while he was on the ground four other artillery crewmen around him were killed by those mortars.

He told me that when he woke up he was on a hospital ship. Two weeks later one of his buddies showed up to see him. He had the break the news to my uncle that four of his closest friends had been killed. He was 18 years old at the time and said he cried like a baby for several minutes.

Decades later I traveled to Ft. Worth to see him. I was in my wife's brand new Honda.
He was in the front yard watering a tree when I pulled up. I got out of the car and said, "Come on, let me buy you lunch."

"We'll go in my pickup," he answered. "The people who made that thing killed a bunch of my friends a long time ago. I haven't forgotten. I won't be going anywhere in one of their cars."

Walter Winslow Lytle died in 2004 at the age of 79. I cried like a baby.

DeltaBoy

Mike my Grandpa was in the Navy 1936 -1962  He was with Howling Mad Smith in the SP from the bombing of Pearl to they signed the peace treaty on the Big Mo.   He earned 2 Purple Hearts , 2 Silver Stars, one with Cluster and 3 Bronze Stars with one having a Cluster.  He would never buy a single thing from Japan till the day he died.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 31, 2014, 07:55:25 am
No one will ever win 26 straight in the SEC

Alabama has won 28 in a row twice:

http://www.answers.com/Q/Who_has_the_record_for_the_longest_winning_streak_in_SEC_football

22 isn't bad but doesn't make the top 20 longest in NCAA history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_NCAA_Division_I_football_winning_streaks

Florida State's current 24 game streak was compiled against schedules with an SOS of 63, 59, and 32, respectively, while Arkansas's was complied against schedules with an SOS of 44 and 43.  Here's a good link for all sorts of things:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/florida-state/2014-schedule.html

bigredone

The WW2 generation of Americans is known as "The Greatest Generation" for a reason. My maternal grandfather served in the Pacific during that war. Unfortunately he died of cancer shortly after I was born in 1964 so I don't have any stories of his service.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a neighborhood in Ft Smith that was full of WW2 and Korean War vets. The sacrifices of those families made a lasting impression on my family where 3 of 5 brothers went on to serve in the Air Force, Army, and Marine Corps.

rickm1976

Quote from: bigredone on October 31, 2014, 10:17:01 am
The WW2 generation of Americans is known as "The Greatest Generation" for a reason. My maternal grandfather served in the Pacific during that war. Unfortunately he died of cancer shortly after I was born in 1964 so I don't have any stories of his service.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a neighborhood in Ft Smith that was full of WW2 and Korean War vets. The sacrifices of those families made a lasting impression on my family where 3 of 5 brothers went on to serve in the Air Force, Army, and Marine Corps.

For sure.  My mom's three brothers all served.  One served in the Pacific, and saw the aftermath of unspeakable atrocities committed by the Japanese.  One landed on Omaha beach on D-Day, and experienced the slaughter of so many of his buddies.  The third landed at Normandy on June 7th, and ended up liberating a couple of Nazi concentration camps witnessing the unspeakable atrocities committed by the Nazis.  All three came through the war with out a scratch on their bodies, but were all three horribly scarred emotionally for the rest of their lives.  My mom always said how she wished I could have known them as they were before the war warped their minds, but I still feel honored to have known them as they were anyway.  They were all (everyone who served) heroes no matter what.

1highhog

October 31, 2014, 11:57:07 am #47 Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:13:21 pm by 1highhog
Quote from: bigredone on October 31, 2014, 10:17:01 am

My Dad served during the occupation of Japan and then during the Korean War/conflict as some would call it.  Dad said those people didn't know (sh**) and sure as hell didn't serve there or have any of their sons there in Korea.  After island hoping to Japan toward the end of WW2 and then serving thru the entire Korean War, he preferred the Jap War to the Korean War, both the hottest and coldest place he's ever been.  Some of the battles we only hear about he was in, lost some of his best friends when the Chinese poured in.  Hates them to this day, that's why he won't buy anything made there, I follow his example, so basically, I boycott Walmart.  He only has 2 of his unit left, my parents just lost their house last year to a fire, destroyed almost everything.  His 2 friends that he still talks to and keeps in touch with both came out with their families and stayed a week at my house, we all travelled around Arkansas and had a wonderful time.  It was neat to see that they never called each other by their names, they called each other by the names they were given back when they were a unit.  My Dad's was Sheriff, his best friend under him, Deputy, and the other guy was Frenchy.  He was of French descent and even as old as he was and as long as he had lived in the States he still had his accent.  My Dad served as a First Sergeant, it has only been until about the last 10 years that he has shared with me some of the things he saw and had to do, it gave me a better understanding of why through all these years he's suffered nightmares, I feel for all our servicemen that have had to do what ones like my Dad has done.  May they all one day find peace.

The picture I attached is of when my Dad just turned 19, he'd been in the Corp by then for two years, having lied about his age.  This picture was the only one we had left from the house fire, it actually melted itself to the glass of the old picture frame it was in.  We took it to a studio and they somehow redone it and it looks great besides the shadow of me and pictures on the wall behind me in it.  We lost all others.  When his two buddies came out, they had pictures that they had made copies of and gave to us, some we got quite a good laugh at, them boys were some rounders, I'm glad Mom was a good sport about it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1highhog

I like hearing these stories by the way guys, keep this going.

Hoggie17

Quote from: HoggieStyle on October 31, 2014, 06:57:09 am
When the defining moment of your program is a game you lost...well...

The 1969 loss to Texas was the defiling game for Arkansas Football up until the present.  I could write a very long essay using that as my thesis sentence, but I will let it stand as it is.