Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about Defensive Backs

Started by Tejano Jawg, January 17, 2008, 10:23:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tejano Jawg

January 17, 2008, 10:23:36 pm Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:27:33 am by Tejano Jawg
Where do they come from?

Are the best ones recruited as DBs out of high school...or are they great athletes who were originally RBs or flankers, then get switched once they get to college? I imagine both, but wonder which is more common.

Thanks...I'll hang up and listen.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

jackflash

Good question that I would like to answer too.   For ARKANSAS I would like to see CB that have play that position all through high school.

Zen_Hog

If they come from a smaller school, they are usually the safeties in position to make plays. If they come from a powerhouse like a Booker T. Washington or South Lake Carroll then they play their natural position where you can get a CB who has played there for a couple of years.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on January 17, 2008, 10:23:36 pm
Where do they come from?

Are the best ones recruited as DBs out of high school...or are they great athletes who were originally RBs or flankers, then get switched once they get to college? I imagine both, but wonder which is more common.

Thanks...I'll hang up and listen.

It depends on the situation - bigger schools with deeper talent pools sometimes have the luxury of being able to play their players at their best-suited, or 'natural' position.  Conversely, schools that do not have deep talent are often forced to play their best athletes where ever they can have the greatest impact.  In practice, that means a lot of good college CB's wind up playing QB, RB, WR, etc while in high school.

It's also common for college DB's to be 'failed WR's'; guys who are fast, but whom just can't catch as well as they should to play WR.  Then again, it's also not uncommon to find a player who could have made a great WR play CB instead, having perhaps chosen to play CB themselves or else they play for a coach who favors defense.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient