Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year

Started by razorbackfaninar, September 27, 2017, 11:30:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

I heard Bruce James mention the other day that he thinks we might possibly be worse next year.  If just the Seniors leave we lose:

4DB's
De'Andre Coley   DB
Josh Liddell DB
Kevin Richardson II DB
Henre' Toliver   DB

1 DL
Bijhon Jackson   DL

2 LB's
Dwayne Eugene Jr. LB
Karl Roesler   LB

1 LS
Robert Decker   LS

3 OL
Frank Ragnow   OL
Paul Ramirez   OL
Jake Raulerson   OL

1QB
Austin Allen   QB

2 RB
Connor McPherson RB
David Williams   RB

1 WR
Jared Cornelius   WR (may possibly be back with a Medical Redshirt)

I know we have spent a lot of time talking about this year and no one is particularly happy with the results so far.  Has anyone given much thought to next year and what we have coming back, whether we could be better or potentially worse.

I know the first reaction of a lot of people will be that we will be worse or the same if Bielema is still here.  I wasn't really getting into coaching or coaches leaving or anything extraneous just looking at the basics of players that we are losing vs who is probably coming back.  I was just curious on every one's opinion.

KlubhouseKonnected

It would still be all about what they do with lineplay.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

razorbackfaninar

September 27, 2017, 12:11:39 pm #2 Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:23:36 pm by razorbackfaninar
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on September 27, 2017, 11:50:25 am
It would still be all about what they do with lineplay.

Yeah I said that all summer, and when they started Clary the first game I knew we were screwed.  Not a knock on Clary but if we were still fiddling around with the O-line after the off season we weren't going to have a very good year

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 27, 2017, 12:11:39 pm
Yeah I said that all summer, and when they started Clary the first game I knew we were screwed.  Not a knock on Clary but if we were still fiddling around with the O-line after the off season we weren't going to have a very good year

That was my take away and what frustrates me the most. With all the shuffling last year I was hoping the only real unknown was how Jackson would be able to handle LT and then to wait until the first week of the season to begin shuffling all over again was just bewildering.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

The_Iceman

I could see us getting better because the O-line could be much better. We will have a ton of solid options across the line with the 4 freshmen now and the current guys like Rogers, Merrick, Wallace, Jackson, Gibson, Froholdt.

QB - Kelley. RB - Whaley and Hayden. Tons of WRs and TEs returning. Another year in the 3-4. Some good talent coming in as freshmen at LB and DB, as well as our current redshirts.

The potential is there.....but is the COACHING???

IronHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 27, 2017, 03:12:26 pm
I could see us getting better because the O-line could be much better. We will have a ton of solid options across the line with the 4 freshmen now and the current guys like Rogers, Merrick, Wallace, Jackson, Gibson, Froholdt.

QB - Kelley. RB - Whaley and Hayden. Tons of WRs and TEs returning. Another year in the 3-4. Some good talent coming in as freshmen at LB and DB, as well as our current redshirts.

I thought the OL would be much better this year but they scrambled it around again.....

All those reps wasted
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Al Boarland

It all depends on if you 1. Think we have the talent to compete with teams that recruit better and 2. You think that talent will be developed.

HillBillyHogfan

3 words... COLE STEAMBOAT KELLY... He is pretty much the Vin Ascolese of quarterbacks
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

jcul28

Losing Ragnow will hurt. Jackson and Williams(the way he has played to this point) will be tougher to replace. Other than that, we should be good.

Piggfoot

For what ever reason  Rogers, Merrick, Wallace are a big question mark for me. I don't see them turning things around. I might keep Rogers, we need a center, but I may encourage Merrick and Wallace to transfer.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

code red

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 27, 2017, 11:30:08 am
I heard Bruce James mention the other day that he thinks we might possibly be worse next year.  If just the Seniors leave we lose:

4DB's
De'Andre Coley   DB
Josh Liddell DB
Kevin Richardson II DB
Henre' Toliver   DB

1 DL
Bijhon Jackson   DL

2 LB's
Dwayne Eugene Jr. LB
Karl Roesler   LB

1 LS
Robert Decker   LS

3 OL
Frank Ragnow   OL
Paul Ramirez   OL
Jake Raulerson   OL

1QB
Austin Allen   QB

2 RB
Connor McPherson RB
David Williams   RB

1 WR
Jared Cornelius   WR (may possibly be back with a Medical Redshirt)

I know we have spent a lot of time talking about this year and no one is particularly happy with the results so far.  Has anyone given much thought to next year and what we have coming back, whether we could be better or potentially worse.

I know the first reaction of a lot of people will be that we will be worse or the same if Bielema is still here.  I wasn't really getting into coaching or coaches leaving or anything extraneous just looking at the basics of players that we are losing vs who is probably coming back.  I was just curious on every one's opinion.
We will be worse bc Brett doesn't recruit.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jcul28

Quote from: The ColonelHog on September 28, 2017, 10:35:20 am
Now that I have been granted a return from purgatory by the PTBs for simply stating QB "X" is not that good, I'll weigh in on this.  I predicted we would win 9 this season, boy was I wrong, but with that said, if anyone think this team will be better with the current coaching staff next season, YOU ARE DREAMING!

With this staff, record wise, we may not be "better". Skill wise, I believe we will be ok. The loss of Ragnow will really really hurt. I won't belittle QB "X" but I never was sold on either of the Allens. You are a reflection of your leader though and with or without CBB, I think CK will light a fire to the team in the same way Mayfield does at OwhU. I'm not comparing CK to Mayfield, but that fire I think is in CK the same way. It's infectious and I believe the other players will feed off of it.

JaketheSnake

You don't lose an All-American and improve.

Edit: unless we get rid of Anderson and bring in an excellent motivator and proven coach.  Still then it would be difficult.

WaltonCollege

Doesn't look too bad, outside of Ragnow, the Carolina RB, and maybe Tolliver. Actually not really worried at all man why you gotta freak me out.

Bubba's Bruisers

Barring a miracle with the OL, don't see how we'll be better next season. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 28, 2017, 09:18:12 pm
Barring a miracle with the OL, don't see how we'll be better next season.

Because we can't get much worse bro

KlubhouseKonnected

Btw, Bruce James is a first rate goo grabber

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

WaltonCollege

lakecityhog

Lets see, we lose Ragnow(Ramirez & Raulerson), according to some unnamed player Wallace and Merrick suck and it appears that things may not be that rosy with Rogers. That would leave us with 4 redshirt freshmen, 2 redshirt Sophomores and 1 senior that couldn't beat out a true freshman walkon, yeah I think our O'Line improves by leaps and bounds!!!

Talk about the need to spend 1/2 the spring cross-training, next year that should be a given.

BILLYBOB

We're Arkansas. Since 1894, our winning percentage is .590. I imagine that's about where we'll end up this year and probabably again next year...and every season for infinity. We'll have some great stretches and some awful stretches...but then we'll revert to who we are: a .590 program.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HillBillyHogfan on September 27, 2017, 04:44:25 pm
3 words... COLE STEAMBOAT KELLY... He is pretty much the Vin Ascolese of quarterbacks

Hey, Cole Kelly is real. Vin...just a figment of our imagination.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber