Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 04, 2024, 05:02:46 am

RIP

Started by oldhawg, July 12, 2013, 06:59:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldhawg

Another one goes his way, passed away this morning.

As a seventeen year old from the rural southwest community of Corinth near Nashville, he had never traveled farther than Texarkana.  As a nineteen year old he was driving a small Naval Landing Craft, ferrying troops and supplies to the shores at Iwo Jima.  Said there were times when he was scared shitless, but never questioned what he was doing there.

Pa will be missed.

Flying Razorback

When my wife once asked me why I would sit down and watch film footage and actual documentaries from World War II from an entire afternoon I told her, "These were all just kids, ordinary kids like me from around the US.  And look at what they were doing..." 

I'll always be in awe of what men like your father were able to accomplish to save the world and their nation.  Ordinary men put in extraordinary situations.  Here's a toast.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

grayhawg

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on July 12, 2013, 08:06:08 am
When my wife once asked me why I would sit down and watch film footage and actual documentaries from World War II from an entire afternoon I told her, "These were all just kids, ordinary kids like me from around the US.  And look at what they were doing..." 

I'll always be in awe of what men like your father were able to accomplish to save the world and their nation.  Ordinary men put in extraordinary situations.  Here's a toast.
Amen to that.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: oldhawg on July 12, 2013, 06:59:28 am

As a seventeen year old from the rural southwest community of Corinth near Nashville, he had never traveled farther than Texarkana.  As a nineteen year old he was driving a small Naval Landing Craft, ferrying troops and supplies to the shores at Iwo Jima.  Said there were times when he was scared shitless, but never questioned what he was doing there.

Pa will be missed.

God bless him

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

LSUFan

Quote from: oldhawg on July 12, 2013, 06:59:28 am

Pa will be missed.
Make the trek down to New Orleans, you'll see pictures of and read about what your dad actually experienced in Iwo Jima at the National WWII museum. Took me four hours to go through it, I was in absolute awe!
We owe him a tremendous debt.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

SteveInArk

Sorry for your loss Oldhawg, though inevitable for our parent's generation.  All the WWII family of mine is now gone too ....  they are all missed.  RIP.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

oldhawg

Quote from: LSUFan on February 22, 2014, 11:57:04 pm
Make the trek down to New Orleans, you'll see pictures of and read about what your dad actually experienced in Iwo Jima at the National WWII museum. Took me four hours to go through it, I was in absolute awe!
We owe him a tremendous debt.

Thanks.  I think my wife and I will try to make that one of our stops on our summer travels.  It would be a fitting tribute.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LSUFan

Quote from: oldhawg on March 24, 2014, 10:01:29 am

Thanks.  I think my wife and I will try to make that one of our stops on our summer travels.  It would be a fitting tribute.
>6,000 men a day were killed, some fought for as long as a week with no break, they deficated and urinated in their pants while fighting.

Put that into perspective and compare it to today.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.