Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NLDS: Cardinals defeat Dodgers 3-1

Started by popcornhog, October 03, 2014, 05:43:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dacskc

jrulz83

Throw it in his eyes and put game 1 in the books!
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

PonderinHog

dacskc

PonderinHog

johnny cash

dhornjr1

dacskc

Now Harold Reynolds can shut up about stealing signs. We just stole a game. :)

PonderinHog

jrulz83

That was a fun one, really big to steal that one from Kershaw. Get Greinke tomorrow and sweep this thing in the STL!!!

TheGreatHogsby

Tonight win is huge for Us. LOL Dodgers

PonderinHog

Kershaw, 8 runs in September and 8 runs in October...so far.

johnny cash

Quote from: dacskc on October 03, 2014, 09:37:56 pm
Now Harold Reynolds can shut up about stealing signs. We just stole a game. :)
mattingly just said we didn't steal signs, but last yr he sure did.

TheGreatHogsby

Dodgers is My most hated team in MLB.

dacskc

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on October 03, 2014, 09:59:57 pm
Dodgers is My most hated team in MLB.

Mine too. Followed by the Brewers.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

jrulz83

From the national media I've heard that the Cardinals stole signs and Kershaw was tipping pitches out of the stretch. Those cheating bastage Cardinals!

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 03, 2014, 10:18:55 pm
From the national media, I've heard that the Cardinals stole signs and Kershaw was tipping pitches out of the stretch. Those cheating bastage Cardinals!

I guess he only tipped pitches on the two home runs and in the seventh inning, not when he set down 16 in a row.

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 03, 2014, 10:24:53 pm
I guess he only tipped pitches on the two home runs and in the seventh inning, not when he set down 16 in a row.

dacskc

Some reporter interviewing Holliday on MLB Network just asked him if they were stealing signs. Lol.

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on October 03, 2014, 10:38:00 pm
Some reporter interviewing Holliday on MLB Network just asked him if they were stealing signs. Lol.

Like anybody would say: "Yeah, we were. If you watch some video you'll notice that to odd numbered lineup positions if the catcher put down three signs, the first one was the indicator. We also were able to notice that when Kershaw throws his slider he goes to his mouth and dries it on his pant leg, but when he throws a curve he dries it on his hat. I'm so glad we were able to pick those two things up, it's what won us the game."

They are trying to make a huge deal out of something that occurs on every level of baseball and it goes back to last December and Mattingly crying:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10121705/don-mattingly-los-angeles-dodgers-says-st-louis-cardinals-stolen-signs-nlcs

Some teams and hitters are able to own certain pitchers in certain situations. It's baseball, it's screwy that way.

dacskc

Haha! And I'm sure the Dodgers would never do anything to gain an advantage over an opponent. Yeah right. The look on Holliday's face was great. For some reason we fare well off Kershaw. Greinke, not so much. Maybe we can steal some more signs tomorrow, lol.

jrulz83

I hate the media; they just want to gin up a controversy to sell more papers, garner more viewers, and generate more internet hits. They are basically whores as far as I'm concerned.

dacskc

Well, now there is a little talk about Yadi shoving the ump during the "brawl". Buster Olney tweeted about it and there's also an article with a video showing the push. Of course, Dodger fans want him suspended.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24736444/videos-near-brawl-in-nlds-game-1-between-cardinals-dodgers

pigture perfect

Lynn an Greinke will be another great match- up. Both can shut people down and both can have a bad inning.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

McKdaddy

Quote from: dacskc on October 03, 2014, 11:45:53 pm
Well, now there is a little talk about Yadi shoving the ump during the "brawl". Buster Olney tweeted about it and there's also an article with a video showing the push.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24736444/videos-near-brawl-in-nlds-game-1-between-cardinals-dodgers

That concerned me when I saw it.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

popcornhog

Quote from: McKdaddy on October 04, 2014, 06:20:15 am
That concerned me when I saw it.

Hopefully nothing comes of it -- it seemed pretty mild, but he definitely put his hands on him.
WPS

ChicoHog

Ok  Cards fans.   I have come on here this am to eat some crow.  Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball but you guys own him, especially in the playoffs when it counts.  I don't care about stealing signs.  Part of the game.  What pisses me off is he kept throwing fastballs instead of using his slider.  When Carpenter hit the triple I turned it off, went outside to cut my yard and never returned.  I was somewhat surprised that the final was 10-9.  Dodgers are worst comeback team in baseball.  I think you guys may sweep now as Greinke has been slightly better than average lately and gets into a high pitch count early in the game which bring our mediocre bullpen into the game. 

Also how is Carpenter hitting .588 with the bases loaded? That is unbelievable!  He hardly ever swings and misses.  I don't understand how he is not a .300 hitter during the regular season. 

I am gong to the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest tonight and will miss the game on TV.  Can't decide now i I want to record it and actually be miserable watching it late tonight or tomorrow morning. 

johnny cash

What are the odds that someone gets plunked tonight?

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 04, 2014, 09:31:50 am
Ok  Cards fans.   I have come on here this am to eat some crow.  Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball but you guys own him, especially in the playoffs when it counts.  I don't care about stealing signs.  Part of the game.  What pisses me off is he kept throwing fastballs instead of using his slider.  When Carpenter hit the triple I turned it off, went outside to cut my yard and never returned.  I was somewhat surprised that the final was 10-9.  Dodgers are worst comeback team in baseball.  I think you guys may sweep now as Greinke has been slightly better than average lately and gets into a high pitch count early in the game which bring our mediocre bullpen into the game. 

His ERA is terrible in the postseason.

Also how is Carpenter hitting .588 with the bases loaded? That is unbelievable!  He hardly ever swings and misses.  I don't understand how he is not a .300 hitter during the regular season. 

I am gong to the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest tonight and will miss the game on TV.  Can't decide now i I want to record it and actually be miserable watching it late tonight or tomorrow morning.

jrulz83

Quote from: dacskc on October 03, 2014, 11:45:53 pm
Well, now there is a little talk about Yadi shoving the ump during the "brawl". Buster Olney tweeted about it and there's also an article with a video showing the push. Of course, Dodger fans want him suspended.

When I saw it live I thought, why is that umpire getting right in the middle of and physically trying to separate two players like that? It seemed to me like he was a little overzealous in getting between them. Now I'm not making an excuse for putting hands on him, but when you watch the whole thing and watch the umpire basically getting in their faces, I can't see enough to make MLB do anything.

popcornhog

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 04, 2014, 09:31:50 am

Even as a Cardinals fan, I agree. He is the best (regular season) pitcher in baseball.

What a weird game last night. He and Waino (the second best pitcher in baseball) both just got rocked.

And what is his deal in the post season?
WPS

pigture perfect

The problem of pitching the best player in baseball, is that he is the best pitcher in baseball. Whoever you bring in will be a downgrade as proved by Baez pitching to Holliday. You have to trust that he can get out of jams, and most times he will. Donnie Baseball didn't really have a choice really.

pigture perfect

Quote from: johnny cash on October 04, 2014, 10:14:54 am
What are the odds that someone gets plunked tonight?
It's not about if, it's a matter of who and when. I'm going to say Holliday in the 3rd.

johnny cash

Quote from: pigture perfect on October 04, 2014, 12:52:35 pm
It's not about if, it's a matter of who and when. I'm going to say Holliday in the 3rd.
what I was thinking. Grienke not afraid to throw at anyone.

jrulz83

If somebody gets plunked it's going to be be bad, Cueto vs Larue bad. I really don't want it to happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing Gonzales get popped in the ribs.

dacskc

AGon's holier than thou attitude is so hypocritical. He starts as much crap as anybody. He knows how the game is played, just don't act like you don't do it too. I like the guy as a player, too. You want a guy like that on your team. Or a guy like Yadi. Just don't go on tv after the fact and act like you're the saintly injured party. Lol. Bad blood means someone is gonna get one in the ribs. I fully expect it tonight, I just hope it doesn't end up with spikes to the face, or someone getting ejected. (Probably Yadi, because they'll be watching him)

ChicoHog

OK.  Now we are even. I missed the game last night but I am watching it on DVR now.  After the anomaly that was game one it looked like things got back to normal yesterday. 

hoghappy

The positive is that home field advantage has shifted.

popcornhog

Game 3 will be Ryun v Lackey according to mlb.com.

I thought Shelby was pitching tomorrow night.
WPS

mhuff

Quote from: popcornhog on October 05, 2014, 12:16:42 pm
Game 3 will be Ryun v Lackey according to mlb.com.

I thought Shelby was pitching tomorrow night.

How does this pitching matchup shake out?

jrulz83

Quote from: mhuff on October 05, 2014, 03:25:29 pm
How does this pitching matchup shake out?

Theoretically it favors the Cardinals, I bet Lackey has a pretty short leash. Ryu has been fighting an injured shoulder and hasn't pitched since September 12. He is left handed and has beaten the Cardinals in the past, look for a 2 hitter from him.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 05, 2014, 03:38:01 pm
Theoretically it favors the Cardinals, I bet Lackey has a pretty short leash. Ryu has been fighting an injured shoulder and hasn't pitched since September 12. He is left handed and has beaten the Cardinals in the past, look for a 2 hitter from him.

Depends on how hard he throws. If his fastball tops out at 82 MPH and his curve is about 64 MPH, then they won't be able to touch him.

If he throws 94 MPH like Kershaw they'll eventually get to him.

Historically, it's the sore-armed left-handers who throw junk that flummox the Cardinals.

jrulz83

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 05, 2014, 03:50:18 pm
Depends on how hard he throws. If his fastball tops out at 82 MPH and his curve is about 64 MPH, then they won't be able to touch him.

If he throws 94 MPH like Kershaw they'll eventually get to him.

Historically, it's the sore-armed left-handers who throw junk that flummox the Cardinals.

Historically that would be correct. However, this is a new age of opposing pitcher dominance of the Cardinals. 94, 84, 74, it doesn't matter. The Cardinals have an anemic offense that can't score on anybody. I stand by my statement that, on Tuesday, the Dodgers will be popping Dom Perignon in the visitors clubhouse at Busch Stadium.

popcornhog

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 05, 2014, 04:02:56 pm
Historically that would be correct. However, this is a new age of opposing pitcher dominance of the Cardinals. 94, 84, 74, it doesn't matter. The Cardinals have an anemic offense that can't score on anybody. I stand by my statement that, on Tuesday, the Dodgers will be popping Dom Perignon in the visitors clubhouse at Busch Stadium.

It's funny, I've heard people get down on the Cardinals offense all year. It has not been "anemic" offensively. They've been "inconsistent." There's a difference.

We hit .253 (with a very "average," not "anemic"1372 hits) on the season which is as good as some top 10 offenses. There were large swaths of the season where we really struggled with RISP though, not to mention stretches of injuries.

Great offense? No. But not anemic. Besides that, Shelby and Lackey are fully capable of getting wins. And this bullpen has been very good, too. Oh yeah, and Wacha is likely to appear in a relief role too -- who knows where he currently stands.
WPS

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on October 05, 2014, 04:30:56 pm
It's funny, I've heard people get down on the Cardinals offense all year. It has not been "anemic" offensively. They've been "inconsistent." There's a difference.

We hit .253 (with a very "average," not "anemic"1372 hits) on the season which is as good as some top 10 offenses. There were large swaths of the season where we really struggled with RISP though, not to mention stretches of injuries.

Great offense? No. But not anemic. Besides that, Shelby and Lackey are fully capable of getting wins. And this bullpen has been very good, too. Oh yeah, and Wacha is likely to appear in a relief role too -- who knows where he currently stands.

Nope, it's over, no more runs for the Cardinals and I fully expect Lackey, Miller, and/or Wacha to get shelled. The Dodgers pitchers are too good for this  ;)anemic  ;) offense. The Dodgers have the better roster, management, and ownership. Dewitt won't spend money like he should to get the top talent in the fold. Poor Mozeliak, he's done an admirable job, but he's clearly been outclassed by Ned Colletti and his smart money saving style.

mhuff

Quote from: jrulz83 on October 05, 2014, 04:52:49 pm
Nope, it's over, no more runs for the Cardinals and I fully expect Lackey, Miller, and/or Wacha to get shelled. The Dodgers pitchers are too good for this  ;)anemic  ;) offense. The Dodgers have the better roster, management, and ownership. Dewitt won't spend money like he should to get the top talent in the fold. Poor Mozeliak, he's done an admirable job, but he's clearly been outclassed by Ned Colletti and his smart money saving style.

Thanks for info.
But I thought you said the Cards would get swept?

If this pitcher has been hurt, seems like he might very well be rusty. I imagine the Cards will shell him. I figure about the fourth inning and they will have to take him out.

clutch

Easy to pick out the ones who weren't around the past few years for the ole reverse karma magic in the redbirds rundown thread.

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on October 05, 2014, 06:00:22 pm
Easy to pick out the ones who weren't around the past few years for the ole reverse karma magic in the redbirds rundown thread.

LOL