Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME 38 THREAD: ARKANSAS (22-15, 4-11 SEC) vs #12 KENTUCKY (23-13, 9-6 SEC )

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, April 20, 2016, 03:58:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ARKANSAS vs #12 KENTUCKY
FIRST PITCH -- FRIDAY 6:30PM -- THURSDAY's Game was Postponed
  THIS GAME THREAD WILL BE USED FOR FRIDAY"S GAME AT 6:30PM ON ESPNU
VENUE: Cliff Hagan Stadium, Lexington, Kentucky

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2016 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL GAME 38 THREAD
                  ARKANSAS (22-15, 4-11 SEC) vs #12 KENTUCKY (23-13, 9-6 SEC)

First Pitch is set for 6:30pm,cdt, FRIDAY. This game will be TELEVISED on the ESPNU. This is game 1 of a 3 game SEC conference series and is the beginning of the second half of SEC conference play. Game 2 and game 3, will be a double header played on Saturday. Game 2 is set to start at NOON cdt and Game 3 will follow. Saturday's games 2 and 3 will NOT be Televised and will be broadcast online only on the SEC Network+ via the Watch ESPN app and WatchESPN.com. This is the 6th Week of SEC Play and the 3rd Road SEC series for the Razorbacks this season as we start the 2nd half of SEC play.

WEATHER IN LEXINGTON:
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lexington-fayette-ky/40517/daily-weather-forecast/328978?day=1
Weather for Friday: High = 68,  Lo = 51,   Precip. = A shower and T-storm around the area

Hourly Forecasthttp://www.accuweather.com/en/us/lexington-fayette-ky/40517/hourly-weather-forecast/328978?hour=18
6pm  7pm  8pm  9pm  10pm  11pm  12am  1am 
48%  30%  0%    0%    0%      0%    0%     0%
^^    ^^  If this turns out to be correct, we could have a slight delay in getting started.

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for quality Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

JHicks3636 or Wisco Pig will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game and Razorbacks#1, WilsonHog, MaddHog and A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to Extra Innings and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversation about this game. If you are not sure about the rules, the best thing to do is just don't post it or you can send a PM to A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S or Razorback#1 before or after the game.

We want to thank Wisco Pig for stepping up to the plate to pinch hit for our team and provide us with play by play narrative for Thursday Night's game, even though he did not get to do the game because of the weather, he still had to do the work of preparing for the game. 

FRIDAY'S STARTING PITCHERS:  SUBJECT TO CHANGE - 1st Pitch : 6:30pm,  Broadcast on ESPNU TV
                                            W-L    APP    GS     ERA       IP      SO    BB
HOGS  RHP Dominic Taccolini  3-2     10       8      5.57    42.0     37    15
CATS   RHP Zack Brown          2-6      9        9      6.08    50.1     40    21

SATURDAY'S(GM 1) STARTING PITCHERS: SUBJECT TO CHANGE -1st Pitch:NOON, NO TV - Broadcast on SECNetwork +
                                            W-L    APP    GS     ERA      IP      SO    BB
HOGS  RHP Zach Jackson        2-4     13      2      5.01    32.1     40    23
CATS   RHP Dustin Beggs        7-0      9       9      2.27    49.1     45    21

SATURDAY'S(GM2) STARTING PITCHERS: SUBJECT TO CHANGE -1st Pitch after game 1, NO TV - Broadcast on SECNetwork +
                                               W-L    APP    GS     ERA      IP      SO    BB
HOGS  RHP  Keaton McKinney  1-2       9       8     6.31    35.2     19    22
CATS - RHP Kyle Cody             4-2       9       9     4.20    49.1     45    21

TEAM COMPARISONS:
                                                                           | Nat'l |Team| Opp.  |  Runs  |  Runs    |Runs |  Current | Last |     
                | W/L    | RPI  |  NPI |  SOS |Conference| Rank | ERA |  BA    | Scored | Allowed | +/-  |  Streaks|  10   |
Hogs        | 22-15 | 109  | 114  |  105  | SEC 4-11 |   NR  | 4.76 | .269  |   6.8    |  5.2      | +1.5| 1 win     | 3-7 |
Cats         | 23-13 |  24  |  49   |   20   | SEC 9-6   | #12  | 3.86 | .239  |   6.1    |  4.5      | +1.6| 1 loss     | 5-5 |

University Of Arkansas Alma Mater(turn up your volume and click below):
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ARKANSAS PREVIEW:
Razorbacks Keep Looking Forward, Starting With Kentucky
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-basebl/

ARKANSAS GAME NOTES:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Arkansas-Notes-Kentucky.pdf

ARKANSAS STATS:
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/baseball/2016/teamcume.htm

KENTUCKY PREVIEW:
No. 12 Baseball Starts Home Stretch vs. Arkansas Thursday
http://ukathletics.com/news/no-12-baseball-starts-home-stretch-vs-arkansas-thursday-04-20-2016

Henderson on Bouncing Back against Arkansas. 6:00 Min. Video
Head coach Gary Henderson previews UK's weekend series vs. Arkansas.
http://ukathletics.com/video/5717becee4b0dccefca637fe

KENTUCKY STATS:
http://ukathletics.com/page/team-stats_m-basebl_stat-crew

KENTUCKY BASEBALL WEBSITE:
http://ukathletics.com/sport/m-basebl

pigture perfect

This is going to be a tough series. Let's see what we're made of.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

JHicks3636

Here's hoping the Predators play better on Thursday. If not, I've wasted two pbp opportunities. I thought Madd did a great job and I'm sure Wisco will as well.

Maddhog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on April 20, 2016, 06:30:24 pm
Here's hoping the Predators play better on Thursday. If not, I've wasted two pbp opportunities. I thought Madd did a great job and I'm sure Wisco will as well.

We will be happy to have you back. 👍⚾️
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

Razorbacks#1

Let me just say, all you Razorback fans (Pocono, JHicks, Maddhog, WISCO Pig, and others) who volunteer your time and effort to provide PBP in this forum, well I have much respect and gratitude for what you do. Although the pay is not great, I hope each and everyone of you know that you have provided a service to some Razorback fan who was unable to watch or hear the game, and you were their only option, and I am sure, they greatly appreciated it, just as ARKANSAS and I have, as well as the Hogvillians who visit this forum. Go HOGS!
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

ricepig

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Arkansas' Zach Jackson will face Kentucky's Dustin Beggs in game 2 of the series on Friday night at 6:00pm.

Kentucky's Beggs Named to Golden Spikes Award Midseason Watch List
http://ukathletics.com/news/beggs-named-to-golden-spikes-award-midseason-watch-list-04-20-2016

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Already named a midseason first-team All-American by Perfect Game earlier this month, University of Kentucky senior pitcher Dustin Beggs has most recently been tabbed as one of 60 amateur players to the 2016 Golden Spikes Award Midseason Watch List, it was announced by USA Baseball on Wednesday.

Kentucky is no stranger to the prestigious award, which has honored the top amateur baseball player in the country since 1978. Two-way star A.J. Reed won the award in 2014 after one of the best seasons in college baseball history. The semifinalists for the award will be announced June 1 with the finalists being announced June 13 and the 2016 winner announced June 30.

A native of Roswell, Ga., Beggs currently ranks third in the nation and second in the Southeastern Conference with seven wins. The senior is the only pitcher in Kentucky history to win his first seven starts of a season. A 6-foot-2, 200-pounder, Beggs currently holds a 2.27 earned run average, striking out 58 batters in 63.1 innings pitched with opponents hitting just .188 against him.

In his two-year career at Kentucky, Beggs has a 14-4 record and a 3.10 ERA in 23 starts, fanning 133 and walking only 28 in 157 innings. In his career, Beggs ranks seventh in UK history in ERA and third in win-loss percentage (.778). Beggs has worked 12 quality starts in his career, with UK winning 16 of his 23 starts behind him. A 19th round pick in the 2014 MLB Draft and a 32nd round pick in the 2015 MLB Draft, Beggs earned Most Outstanding Pitcher honors in the 2016 Tony Gwynn Classic after eight shutout, two-hit innings at San Diego State.

Kentucky (23-13, 9-6 SEC) will return to action Thursday, welcoming Arkansas for a three-game series, starting at 7 p.m. ET at Cliff Hagan Stadium. Beggs is slated to start the second game of the series Friday.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Head Coach Dave Van Horn

Now entering his 14th season at the helm of the Arkansas
baseball program in 2015-16, head coach Dave Van Horn
continues to elevate the Razorbacks to one of the nation's
premier teams year in and year out. Over his first 13
seasons, Van Horn has led Arkansas to four College World
Series appearances, 13 NCAA Tournament berths, one
Southeastern Conference overall title, three SEC Western
Division championships and a total of 524 wins, averaging
more than 40 wins a season.
The Razorbacks defied all the odds in 2015, rebounding
from a 15-15 record on April 4 to win 18 of their final
25 regular season games and surge into postseason
play. After going 2-2 in the SEC Tournament, Arkansas
became one of five teams in the country to advance to 14
consecutive NCAA Tournaments, claiming the No. 2 seed in
the Stillwater Regional hosted by Oklahoma State.
In what is likely Van Horn's best coaching job in his 27-year
career, the Razorbacks went 3-0 in the Stillwater Regional
and came back home to host the second Super Regional in
program history, knocking off Missouri State in three games
for the most improbable College World Series appearance in
Arkansas' storied history. Van Horn made his sixth trip to
Omaha, including his fourth as the Razorback skipper. He
currently has more College World Series appearances than
any head coach in the SEC.
During the run to Omaha, sophomore outfielder Andrew
Benintendi put together arguably the finest season in
Razorback history. Benintendi became the first Arkansas
player to win the Golden Spikes Award, given annually to
the nation's best amateur player. He also won the Dick
Howser Trophy and was named Baseball America Player of
the Year and Collegiate Baseball Player of the Year as the
nation's best collegiate player.

jacobp

Made the drive down from South Bend this morning. Pretty nice high school stadium they have here

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: jacobp on April 21, 2016, 12:39:23 pm
Made the drive down from South Bend this morning. Pretty nice high school stadium they have here
Compared to South Bend

:)

"Eck Stadium includes spacious home and visitor locker-room areas, meeting rooms and coaching facilities for each team. The stadium also houses a press box overlooking home plate and a 2,500-seat grandstand with space to add more seating in the future. The stadium is illuminated by a state-of-the-art lighting system, allowing for night play."
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

jacobp

I actually did a facilities tour when my wife first starting working at ND and was very impressed by their baseball facilities. It's very small but top notch (although I don't care for the field turf) I didn't expect a baseball stadium at ND to be very big.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: jacobp on April 21, 2016, 03:16:49 pm
I actually did a facilities tour when my wife first starting working at ND and was very impressed by their baseball facilities. It's very small but top notch (although I don't care for the field turf) I didn't expect a baseball stadium at ND to be very big.
I thought you were bringing sarcasm and gave you a +1 in that post. Hope you enjoy the game.

THUNDER!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on April 21, 2016, 02:06:16 pm
Compared to South Bend

:)

"Eck Stadium includes spacious home and visitor locker-room areas, meeting rooms and coaching facilities for each team. The stadium also houses a press box overlooking home plate and a 2,500-seat grandstand with space to add more seating in the future. The stadium is illuminated by a state-of-the-art lighting system, allowing for night play."
I don't know where you got that from but I really like the last sentence.

jacobp

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on April 21, 2016, 03:28:10 pm
I thought you were bringing sarcasm and gave you a +1 in that post. Hope you enjoy the game.
For our postseason hopes, I hope I enjoy it too. Can't get down to Baum this year. This is the closest I'll get

Scott7703

Ok fellas, I'll be "that guy". I have a good feeling about this weekend. I think the pitching takes another step forward and we start the turnaround this weekend. Hogs win 2/3 worst case.

jry04

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 21, 2016, 03:47:07 pm
Ok fellas, I'll be "that guy". I have a good feeling about this weekend. I think the pitching takes another step forward and we start the turnaround this weekend. Hogs win 2/3 worst case.
I have a weird feeling we win, too. I haven't felt good about the team in a few weeks. Even against Mizzou I posted I was a little worried because of their starting pitching. On paper, UK isn't that good, and if we can just get some starting pitching we will be a good team. I think this is the weekend we turn it around.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 21, 2016, 03:33:52 pm
I don't know where you got that from but I really like the last sentence.
You would think Notre Dame would have a following in all sports, not just football. They are similar to Kentucky I guess, since Kentucky is known for their basketball. Kentucky has a baseball stadium which seats 3,000, not much more capacity than Notre Dame, but they have plans for a new park.

THUNDER!

Wisco Pig

Weather update from the Razorback baseball Twitter account (@RazorbackBSB):

"We are currently in a weather delay here in Lexington. No word on when first pitch will be, but it will not be at 6:02 p.m."

Razorbacks#1

Kentucky Line Up:

1B Evan White R
LF Zach Reks L
DH Gunnar McNeill R
SS Riley Mahan L
3B JaVon Shelby R
2B Tyler Marshall L
RF Dorian Hairston R
C Troy Squires L
CF Marcus Carson L

P Zack Brown R

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorbacks#1

Looking at the weather map, storm appears to be moving northeast right through Lexington, and I am hoping that the worst of it moves south and below.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Haven't heard a start time, but it is raining hard in Lexington.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: jacobp on April 21, 2016, 03:44:29 pm
For our postseason hopes, I hope I enjoy it too. Can't get down to Baum this year. This is the closest I'll get
Well, sorry there is a rain delay, I hope you are staying the entire weekend, looks iffy tonight, and you probably know that more than I, being there. Hopefully it blows thru pretty quick.

THUNDER!

jacobp

Yeah right now I'll be surprised if we get it in but hopeful. I'm here until Saturday, or Sunday if we go that long

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: jacobp on April 21, 2016, 06:04:44 pm
Yeah right now I'll be surprised if we get it in but hopeful. I'm here until Saturday, or Sunday if we go that long
:)  Wish I could join you! GO HOGS!

THUNDER!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Razorbacks#1

Storm seems to be moving fast northeasterly, we might get this in tonight

THUNDER!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

SEC network is saying that game coverage is expected to begin at 7:30 PM.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

jacobp

Wisco Pig

The only other SEC game scheduled for tonight is Georgia (20-18, 6-9) visiting #2 Florida (34-5, 11-4 SEC).

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: jacobp on April 21, 2016, 06:42:17 pm
time to head back out to the tailgate for more yelling juice
jacobp, give us updates if you can on the weather there

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on April 21, 2016, 06:43:57 pm
photos are always appreciated as well, do your Hogvillian duty man! :)

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Wisco Pig

A big thank you to the 130 fans viewing this thread.   Hope to have a game for you at some point.

Knot2brite

I am watching the Pens play hockey and checking this thread to see when the game comes on...the Pens are killing the Rangers so when the baseball game comes on I can be happy that they are well ahead...
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

jacobp

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on April 21, 2016, 06:43:57 pm
Seems to be cleared up a bit. But it looks like it could kick back up at any time

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on April 21, 2016, 07:08:31 pm
https://twitter.com/rkn27/status/723300220327628801
Challenge question while we are waiting: Name the players who still have their sunglasses visual, than name every player, coach depicted in this post?

THUNDER!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

tennesseehogwild

SEC Network now not giving a time or expected start time.....I bet it is a wash out tonight! If that happens, would there be 2 tomorrow? Seems like they don't push a Thurs-Sat series to Fri-Sun.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

jacobp