Started by HogNDas, April 06, 2016, 10:45:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bighog2255

Quote from: Kevin on April 25, 2016, 10:08:38 am
8-4 in league play needed

That's what I think too

Kevin

that is why blowing the game Saturday hurt
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jry04

I am going with 7-5 and a win in the SECT gets us in.

I think we end up with 6 and work to do in the SECT, though. Bama is a series we have a shot at sweeping. We need to sweep that one in a bad way.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Kevin on April 25, 2016, 10:08:38 am
8-4 in league play needed
I agree.  I think 8 is the magic number to be considered as a 3/4 seed as long as we win a majority (or all) of the remaining non-conference games.

jry04

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 25, 2016, 02:01:41 pm
I agree.  I think 8 is the magic number to be considered as a 3/4 seed as long as we win a majority (or all) of the remaining non-conference games.
We wouldn't be a 4 seed. A SEC team is not going to get in as a 4 seed. That will go to the one bid conference teams.

We would be a lock with 8 wins assuming we win our non-conference games. That would mean winning every series from here on, or losing 1 and sweeping another. 11 more wins would put us in the top 45 of the RPI entering the SECT. That is a lock, especially when you consider who we would have to beat to get those 11 wins. 13 wins, as long as we win our non-conference games, would put us in the top 55, which would still have us right there in the discussion. The SECT is going to be more important to us this year than it has been in a really long time. It will be an opportunity to improve our RPI against top 50 opponents on a neutral field. 14 total SEC wins by any combination, regular season and non-conference, is our magic number in my opinion. Whether that is 12 regular season and 2-2 in the SECT, or 14 regular season and going 0-1 in the SECT. One thing I think everyone can agree on is if we get swept this weekend our chances are over barring a miracle run in the SECT.

JackMcQueen

Updated (to the date)..Our RPI sits at 88 after a 3-1 week (RPI from ncaa.com)

Oklahoma St|25
Texas A&M|4
at Missouri St|89
at LSU|14
Alabama|41
Missouri St|89
at Miss State|13
2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: JackMcQueen on April 25, 2016, 02:54:21 pm
Updated (to the date)..Our RPI sits at 88 after a 3-1 week (RPI from ncaa.com)

Oklahoma St|25
Texas A&M|4
at Missouri St|89
at LSU|14
Alabama|41
Missouri St|89
at Miss State|13
Even after the poor play we have had over several weeks of SEC play, we still have everything we want in front of us.  It's time to do or die.  Our pitching last weekend was promising.  That's what we are used to with a DVH/Jorn team.  If those guys can get on a roll like that, we COULD be dangerous in the postseason.

Let's do it Hogs.  Go get it!  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on April 25, 2016, 03:47:10 pm
Even after the poor play we have had over several weeks of SEC play, we still have everything we want in front of us.  It's time to do or die.  Our pitching last weekend was promising.  That's what we are used to with a DVH/Jorn team.  If those guys can get on a roll like that, we COULD be dangerous in the postseason.

Let's do it Hogs.  Go get it!  :razorback:

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/724700929920917504

ricepig

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2016, 04:20:57 pm
Next year's RPI booster.

https://twitter.com/wholehogsports/status/724707937860485120
Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but that is a very good mid-week schedule. If they can replace the EIU or SWAC teams we play then I will gladly take it. They play in a decent mid-major conference, and have had a top 200 RPI the last 2 years. They are currently around 150 right now, and finished last season at 119.

I would love to see us schedule Memphis, ULM, SEMO, ORU, OK St, Missouri State, LA Tech, Kansas, etc. We don't need to go out and schedule the Miami's and FSU's of the league when we play in the SEC, but teams like Grand Canyon and ORU are teams we should sweep or take 2 of 3 from, without hurting our RPI.

JackMcQueen

Quote from: ricepig on April 25, 2016, 04:20:57 pm
Next year's RPI booster.

https://twitter.com/wholehogsports/status/724707937860485120
2016: 19-18 (8-7) *Beat Gonzaga twice
2015: 32-22 (19-7) *Wins over Kansas, Tennessee, & Texas Tech
2014: 31-22 (19-8) *Wins over Kansas State, & Arizona (First year for D1 baseball)

2 SEC titles, 4 SEC West titles, 28 NCAA Tournaments, 6 NCAA Super Regionals, 8 College World Series
THIS...IS...BASEBALL!

YtownHog

RPI moved to 83 without playing tonight.  That's a nice boost.

azhog10

Quote from: JackMcQueen on April 25, 2016, 04:42:59 pm
2016: 19-18 (8-7) *Beat Gonzaga twice
2015: 32-22 (19-7) *Wins over Kansas, Tennessee, & Texas Tech
2014: 31-22 (19-8) *Wins over Kansas State, & Arizona (First year for D1 baseball)
Living in Phoenix and I can tell you the state schools like ASU and U of AZ are getting a little antsy with GCU's move to Division 1. Their athletics program in some of the bigger sports are really coming along at a quick rate. Their Men's Basketball had a very good season and had they been NCAAT elgible more than likely would have made it in. I watched a little of their baseball team this year against Gonzaga and they played very well.

ricepig

Quote from: YtownHog on April 27, 2016, 10:25:28 pm
RPI moved to 83 without playing tonight.  That's a nice boost.

Maybe we need rainouts this weekend, get in the 60's........ 8)

PorkRyan

We go 1-1 vs the #2 team and only move up two spots.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: PorkRyan on April 30, 2016, 11:22:30 pm
We go 1-1 vs the #2 team and only move up two spots.  Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Late last night we were at 79 for a while.

Kevin

Quote from: PorkRyan on April 30, 2016, 11:22:30 pm

Home games are about worthless
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

YtownHog

Quote from: Kevin on May 01, 2016, 08:49:25 am
Home games are about worthless

This is pretty much the truth.  In terms of the formula for RPI we aren't 1-1, we are more like .7-1.3

jry04

It also doesn't help that Texas Tech, Central Michigan, Houston, Memphis, EIU, Gonzaga, ULM, Miss Valley St, and WIU all lost yesterday. Opponents in 16 of our games lost yesterday, and many of the conference teams we have played were playing against other teams we have played, so there wasn't an opportunity for a jump there. When nearly half your schedule is losing games, you aren't going to make much of a jump. We really need these guys to wake up and win some games for us.

Currently, we are projected to go 30-25 and finish 90th in the RPI according to warrennolan.com. I personally think if we can win today going 34-21 is realistic. That would give us a top 60 RPI.