Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

aTm Game depth chart

Started by ricepig, September 18, 2017, 10:09:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 09:19:26 am
Good grief the lack of comprehensive thought on here astounds me sometimes. Do you realize Wallace started at RT last year? Before anyone ever heard of Johnny Gibson and when Clary was still in high school?

Wallace has serious talent. Clary isn't better than Gibson was at RG and Gibson isn't better than Wallace was at RT. I would make much more sense to redshirt Clary.

If your premise is correct in that practice always determines who's better, why did Jackson start at RT last year only to be replaced by Wallace who never gave up the spot?

Regardless of what Wallace did last year, he quite obviously didn't get the job done in practice this year so he lost the starting job. If he wants to start, he'll have to bust his backside in practice  to get it back. Obviously to this date, he hasn't done that.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 09:45:35 am
Regardless of what Wallace did last year, he quite obviously didn't get the job done in practice this year so he lost the starting job. If he wants to start, he'll have to bust his backside in practice  to get it back. Obviously to this date, he hasn't done that.

another way maybe we lose so much that CBB tries something different...regardless of how practice goes.. probably not but it is a possibility..

Kevin

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 18, 2017, 09:08:10 pm
And you'd cry like a baby if they won 42-0.

sure would, being so happy
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 07:27:03 am
I don't think it's necessarily playing favorites as it is rewarding the "uncommon" guys. What I mean by that is the guys that give 110% in practice, nod their head to everything the coaches tell them, keep their GPA up, and cause no trouble.

While I would personally love for that to translate into the most talented players playing, it doesn't. Example......I keep hearing this issue of "trust" with TJ Hammonds. I assume TJ isn't practicing as well as CBB would like. Maybe he has less effort than guys like Stewart and Pettway. I don't know. But none of those guys have the talent or skill set TJ has. There may be only one player like TJ Hammonds on the roster.......himself.

I liken him to Joe Adams. We all saw how much of a difference Adams made for those Hog teams he played for. Can TJ make that kind of difference? Only one way to tell.

TJ may not be the type of player and personality CBB prefers, but there has to be a balance of taking what you see in practice and understanding who your studs are.

Don't over think the TJ situation, and I think many are either over thinking or not thinking about it at all. 

Tj came in and did not practice AT ALL before his first game last year as a true freshman.  That is EXTREMELY tough and this staff did not want to throw him to the sharks so to say.  He was injured with a knee issue and wasn't perfectly healthy till a few weeks into the season.  We saw him come along last season getting a few touches here and there. 

Fast forward to this season and we heard nothing but good things about him in the spring.  Almost the exact same thing happened, he got a little knee injury in fall camp.  So he has missed both fall camps.  He has missed NUMEROUS reps at a new position.  Spring we were still juggling him at RB and WR.  We see with Hayden why he was moved to WR only this fall and I support that move.  I also, in my own opinion, believe his missing of fall camps is why he is not back at KR or PR, those spots need reps to not screw up.  I am hoping he is willing and fighting for either or both of those positions these last two weeks.  Kid needs the ball, but missing fall camps puts you behind the eight ball, and unfortunately he should have red shirted last year, however I am not sure his Dad would allow it.  Hard to point finger for certain at the staff at not redshirting him. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 19, 2017, 08:24:37 am
I think CBB has built his career on the interior linemen.  For all intensive purposes, our GCG combo seems to be decent.  Now is it that Clary is decent or that Ragnow is offsetting the load for him?  That's yet to be seen.  I'm not convinced that some of the issues happened at Wisconsin.  Is it possible he couldn't develop tackles there?  In the SEC tackles that aren't good get put in the limelight.  For the most part DE's in this league could be argued as the most athletic position.  At the B1G side you don't "seem" to see the 6'5 280lb guys running a 4.5 as often.  Again, a lot of that could just be perception (or bias?). 

The question now comes to this:  Matt Jones was known for slacking at practice.  Would CBB bench Matt Jones due to work ethic?

Didn't Bielema put multiple tackles in the league at Whisky, leading the way with Joe Thomas, right?  Honestly asking and don't feel like looking it up.

onebadrubi

Quote from: IronHog on September 19, 2017, 08:46:31 am

I think this is right and it is why BB fails.

I doubt McFadden would have played for BB.

Facepalm to compare our O line "depth" to mcfadden.  You really are something else

onebadrubi

Good grief the lack of comprehensive thought on here astounds me sometimes. Do you realize Wallace started at RT last year? Before anyone ever heard of Johnny Gibson and when Clary was still in high school?

Wallace has serious talent. Clary isn't better than Gibson was at RG and Gibson isn't better than Wallace was at RT. I would make much more sense to redshirt Clary.

If your premise is correct in that practice always determines who's better, why did Jackson start at RT last year only to be replaced by Wallace who never gave up the spot?

I think it's funny someone wants to use last year as a barometer of Offense lineman abilities. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 10:20:48 am
I think it's funny someone wants to use last year as a barometer of Offense lineman abilities.

It speaks to the fact that Bielema hasn't been recruiting or developing Offensive Linemen the way he said he would. We were supposed to have this great redshirt program. Now, we are starting true freshmen a few weeks after arriving on campus.

This is not a knock on Clary. I'm sure he does a fine job. But he shouldn't have to be playing.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 10:30:56 am
It speaks to the fact that Bielema hasn't been recruiting or developing Offensive Linemen the way he said he would. We were supposed to have this great redshirt program. Now, we are starting true freshmen a few weeks after arriving on campus.

This is not a knock on Clary. I'm sure he does a fine job. But he shouldn't have to be playing.

Clary wouldn't be playing if the 4* O-Lineman were getting it done in practice.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 10:30:56 am

We definitely do not have a redshirt program, that is for sure.

Been10Hog

September 19, 2017, 10:43:35 am #310 Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:06:16 am by Been10Hog

He started last year. He was beaten out this year. It's not rocket surgery! If Wallace wants to make it to the NFL and not end up in a 9-5 job like the rest of us he will turn it up a notch

PorkRinds

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 10:39:12 am
We definitely do not have a redshirt program, that is for sure.

Well, except the ones redshirting now...

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 10:46:54 am
I've never seen so much talk about practice as I have under CBB. I don't ever remember this talk under Petrino, Nutt, or anyone before that.

How many examples of players starting because of practice only to be replaced due to game play has to be shown before everyone understands something isn't right?

And this is where I can't even come close to understanding your mindset. Every coach talks about performance in practice. It's how pretty much every coach determines who plays.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: AP85 on September 18, 2017, 10:20:12 am
What did he do, kick him off the team??
He tried to but we missed the kick.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 10:52:34 am
Man you are dense. Do you not understand that Wallace was also "beaten out" in practice at the beginning of last year by Jackson?

Then come game time, Jackson shows he clearly wasn't ready. Insert Wallace and everyone was like, "Why wasn't this guy starting to begin with?"

Practice should only be one component. If Jack Lindsey came in and "busted his butt" and played lights out in practice, do you start him over Austin Allen?

It isn't Jackson that beat out Wallace this year, it's Gibson. Wallace was originally penciled in to start at Gibson's tackle spot but obviously wasn't getting the job done in practice.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 10:46:54 am
I've never seen so much talk about practice as I have under CBB. I don't ever remember this talk under Petrino, Nutt, or anyone before that.

How many examples of players starting because of practice only to be replaced due to game play has to be shown before everyone understands something isn't right?
Probably because those two never brought in a 4 or 5 star recruit from a state other than Arkansas or a state that adjoins Arkansas. BB has Ragnow, Wallace and Merrick that currently fit that bill and fans want to see them on the field. Unfortunately for those uninformed fans they were beaten out by other players. Fortunately for the rest of us Coach is putting the players on the field that give us the best chance to win based on what they do in practice. Petrine had the luxury of having Arkansas studs fall in his lap. Unfortunately for the team he couldn't recruit his way nationally out of a wet paper bag

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:06:16 am
Gibson didn't beat Wallace for RT. Clary was inserted at RG (where Gibson played) and they just moved Gibson over.

Wrong. Gibson was moved to RT which opened up RG for Clary or whoever won the position. 

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 10:52:34 am
Man you are dense. Do you not understand that Wallace was also "beaten out" in practice at the beginning of last year by Jackson?

Then come game time, Jackson shows he clearly wasn't ready. Insert Wallace and everyone was like, "Why wasn't this guy starting to begin with?"

Practice should only be one component. If Jack Lindsey came in and "busted his butt" and played lights out in practice, do you start him over Austin Allen?
Actually I think you are doing an excellent job of proving to everyone on Hogville who is dense. You can't or don't want to get it. Did you Google Dwayne Spann yet or are you too stubborn. The answer is right before you grasshopper! Stars do not always a great player make

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 11:08:45 am
Wrong. Gibson was moved to RT which opened up RG for Clary or whoever won the position. 

Wallace was originally slated to start at RT and Gibson at RG but Wallace wasn't getting it done in practice so he was demoted, Gibson was moved to RT and Clary took the RG spot.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:09:50 am
lol I'm not a Petrino fan by any stretch (I think he should've been fired).......but do you really want to measure up Petrino's four years versus Bielema's five years at Arkansas?

I've looked and I can't find anywhere that walk ons are coming in and replacing veteran starters on the offensive line. Certainly not in the SEC.

But I guess it's okay because we are Arkansas and our players are "Uncommon?"
Jury is out on how good BB is. Point was BP couldn't recruit nationally. Alex Collins, Ragnow, Merrick and Wallace are 4-5 stars not from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Tenn, Miss or Louisiana. Name 1 Petrino brought in........Crickets

GuvHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 11:16:02 am
Jury is out on how good BB is. Point was BP couldn't recruit nationally. Alex Collins, Ragnow, Merrick and Wallace are 4-5 stars not from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Tenn, Miss or Louisiana. Name 1 Petrino brought in........Crickets

Darius Philon from Alabama.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:11:59 am
Now you are making stuff up. The entire summer and fall the offensive line was being reported as follows:

LT- Jackson
LG- Froholdt
C- Ragnow
RG- Gibson
RT- Wallace

Clary was inserted like a week before the first game. Gibson was never projected at or even competeting for the RT spot from reports.

It's ok that you didn't listen to what the coach said about it. He flat out said Clary had been with the ones for a few weeks and they left it off the depth chart to keep the spotlight off of him. Clary playing RG is specifically because Wallace couldn't get his reads right. They had to put a mic in his helmet to bring him along. They found a different option for Wallace, one who could remember his assignments, and that opened up the spot for Clary. This is all public knowledge.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:16:18 am
So the highly rated guys were ALL misses and Gibson and Clary were BOTH diamonds in the rough? Do you really believe that?
Dwayne Spann and JJ Watt. Focus. You can get it if you try. Nothing is given to you because of your star ranking. Why does Wallace have to be a miss? Maybe he doesn't work hard in practice, makes too many mistakes or can't catch on. He had a spot last year like you say over and over! He has the responsibility to earn a spot no one owes him anything

Been10Hog

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 11:20:11 am
Darius Philon from Alabama.
Really! He picked Bama and got Sabaned

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 09:45:35 am
Practice is not a game.Matt Jones was terrible in practice. but when the games were played,he was outstanding.yea most of the time you will play like you practice. but this is not true of all players.practice is not everything.if it were Cole Hedlund would still be kicking this week.they say he out kicks all the others in practice.but he was terrible in games.

Been10Hog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:21:50 am
Merrick and Wallace are currently on the bench so those aren't the examples I'd use.

And Petrino maximized the talent he had. He was 21-5 over his last two years. Made the BCS, had the Hogs ranked high as #3 and ended his last season with the Hogs ranked #5. Only two losses were to the two teams that played for the NC.

Petrino deserved all benefit of the doubt when it came to his decisions.

Take a look at Bielema's past 5 seasons and you should see why many fans are done giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore. Although I'm sure you won't get it.
They are either 4-5 stars or not. That BP did a helluva job in 2011 beating 4 teams who fired their coaches including the 0-8 Ole Miss squad. No Petrino recruits? Have you asked anyone about Dwayne Spann yet? Should we have started him? He was a 5 star!

GuvHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 11:21:16 am
It's ok that you didn't listen to what the coach said about it. He flat out said Clary had been with the ones for a few weeks and they left it off the depth chart to keep the spotlight off of him. Clary playing RG is specifically because Wallace couldn't get his reads right. They had to put a mic in his helmet to bring him along. They found a different option for Wallace, one who could remember his assignments, and that opened up the spot for Clary. This is all public knowledge.

Yep, CBB mentioned in a press conference that Gibson had moved to RT and Clary became the starter at RG 3 weeks before the first game but they kept it quiet to keep from putting pressure on Clary.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

IronHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 11:21:16 am

Because a guy that knows his reads but can't block is sooooo much better than a NFL body guy that misses the occasional read.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:30:17 am
What I saw last year and what I've seen this year are why I don't believe it for a second. Wallace was solid at RT last year in actual games. Everyone saw it. Now all of a sudden he can't get things right in practice? Bull crap.

I guess I'll assume the same thing happened with Jackson at RT last year? How'd that work out?

Just an excuse to play the Boy Scout

Been10Hog

Clearly the answer is to put all the players on paper and take the 11 with the highest 247 composite rating. If one gets hurt we just go down the list and get next highest rated and so forth. Omg

PorkRinds

Some of y'all need to remember how ridiculous Allen Iverson sounded when he made this argument.

forrest city joe

Here is the botttom line for those of you who are defending some of these OL moves and decisions on who the starters. these first 2 games it has not worked. the OL has been really bad. i always thought if something is not working. maybe you should try something else.but that's just me.

IronHog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 11:33:03 am
Clearly the answer is to put all the players on paper and take the 11 with the highest 247 composite rating. If one gets hurt we just go down the list and get next highest rated and so forth. Omg

That is just being difficult

BB got a gift in Gibson.....the rare walk on that is legit SEC lineman.

That leaves 4 spots......he's got a good center and the gift out of position.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:30:17 am
What I saw last year and what I've seen this year are why I don't believe it for a second. Wallace was solid at RT last year in actual games. Everyone saw it. Now all of a sudden he can't get things right in practice? Bull crap.

I guess I'll assume the same thing happened with Jackson at RT last year? How'd that work out?

It seems to be working out quite well this year. He has graded out high in the last 2 games at LT.

IronHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:34:38 am
You can't break past their coach apologist agenda. It's impossible for CBB and his staff to make a wrong decision. When bad play happens on the field, the default excuse is "Well that's not how we do it in practice."

Makes me sick....

Well they did hand the ball to Alex Collins enough they finally got a good half season out of him 🙄

Youngsta71701

Some people continue to try and say that Bret doesn't play favorites when he makes it more obvious year after year that he does. No way Clary should be starting over Wallace, Rogers, Merrick, Ramirez, or even Raulerson for that matter. No way Froholdt should have been starting over anybody last year. Just saying people. The truth is in the pudding.

Wildhog

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 19, 2017, 11:22:33 am
Really! He picked Bama and got Sabaned

And we ended up getting him over a lot of other teams.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 19, 2017, 11:36:06 am
Here is the botttom line for those of you who are defending some of these OL moves and decisions on who the starters. these first 2 games it has not worked. the OL has been really bad. i always thought if something is not working. maybe you should try something else.but that's just me.

Of course. But that doesn't make your attempts at throwing darn at the wall to see what sticks any less ridiculous.

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 11:37:00 am
It seems to be working out quite well this year. He has graded out high in the last 2 games.
No it's not working out. i don't give a crap about grades. i know what my eyes see. he is just a guy right now.still don't see why he is playing over Wallace.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: GuvHog on September 19, 2017, 11:26:45 am
Yep, CBB mentioned in a press conference that Gibson had moved to RT and Clary became the starter at RG 3 weeks before the first game but they kept it quiet to keep from putting pressure on Clary.
Or to keep Wallace transferring ???.

IronHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 11:39:29 am
Some people continue to try and say that Bret doesn't play favorites when he makes it more obvious year after year that he does. No way Clary should be starting over Wallace, Rogers, Merrick, Ramirez, or even Raulerson for that matter. No way Froholdt should have been starting over anybody last year. Just saying people. The truth is in the pudding.

But he's a Boy Scout from Fayetteville

Really doesn't matter what BB does cause he's toast recruiting anything but the super high character guys from here on out....

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:38:12 am
Did you ever watch Iverson play ball in actual games? Dude was electric....

Carried the Sixers to the Finals and gave one of the most dominating Lakers teams their only loss in the playoffs.
Don't forget Matt Jones was a HORRIBLE practice player also...But he damn sure brought it in the game.

IronHog

Quote from: hogz11 on September 19, 2017, 11:42:01 am
Do you realize that a grade out score mostly means they just made the correct read/assignment? Has little to do with getting physically beat.

Correct.  Some very average lineman grade high.

I doubt Shawn Andrews ever graded well at Arkansas.....the 1/4 he got motivated was why he was All American

Youngsta71701

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 11:35:07 am
Some of y'all need to remember how ridiculous Allen Iverson sounded when he made this argument.
Actually Iverson made his point pretty good with that rant.

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 19, 2017, 11:36:06 am

to the point
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

GuvHog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 11:39:55 am
And we ended up getting him over a lot of other teams.

Yep, it was a major recruiting accomplishment.

forrest city joe

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 19, 2017, 11:41:12 am
Of course. But that doesn't make your attempts at throwing darn at the wall to see why sticks any less ridiculous.
We have got an ex-D-Linemen. a walk on. and a Blue shirt starting on the OL.and five 4 stars on the bench.that is unreal. did we miss on all 5 of these guys?

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 19, 2017, 11:44:55 am
We have got an ex-D-Linemen. a walk on. and a Blue shirt starting on the OL.and five 4 stars on the bench.that is unreal. did we miss on all 5 of these guys?

pour it on

GuvHog

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on September 19, 2017, 11:41:36 am
Or to keep Wallace transferring ???.

Wallace knew about it silly. They kept it out of the media.