Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did this board say that Chavis sucks at recruiting?

Started by checkraiser88, February 09, 2018, 06:38:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

pghawg1

Yes he is. He had a hand in getting several players not only on defense but on the offensive side as well.     

swineology

Maybe, "3rd and Chavis"
Flavor of the day.
Old retread
Parroting LSU fans

No clue, looks like old Chief is putting in some good work.

Athog

I think the Chief has heard his critics and is sticking the "finger" at them!

lumphog

Well.... most of em need a few strokes with the file ya know not real SHARP not near as sharp as they think they are      ;)

PORKULATOR

Quote from: lumphog on February 09, 2018, 08:13:00 pm
Well.... most of em need a few strokes with the file ya know not real SHARP not near as sharp as they think they are      ;)
word
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogFoo

i think because some thought for whatever reason that Venables was in play.  then grinch, then.... whoever... then finally Chavis was named.    people just thought he was an afterthought.  they thought his time at aTm wasnt quite up to par.. which, he wasnt there long enough to prove anything before the staff there was fired.   The guy as i mentioned in another thread has probably put more players in the NFL than all the other DCs in the SEC combined.  And that is a lot!  His style of defense 4-3 works.  His plan works. He is a great recruiter and he brought in his pal Caldwell who is another great recruiter.  They absolutely killed us when they used to be at Tenner and they would come on the norm and take our best players from warren and that area.  Which Gerald openly said in that interview that Chavis is the reason he is at arkansas.  If chavis was at aTm then gerald would have went to aTm..  but he's with the Hogs and so is Gerald.  This will be the start of many other players who will come here too! 

Its so funny because i remember thinking how id like to have Grinch, and then i was on the phone with a pal, and we were talking and then id heard about aTm firing sumlin and then i thought wow, i wonder if we could get Chavis, then lo and behold thats who we got.  Immediately then, people on Hogville start slamming the dude?  i'm like what for?   Guy has been a stud DC for the last 24yrs +  he didnt just forget how to coach or recruit!  anyways.  i believe itll work out great and everyone who badmouthed Chavis hiring will happily be eating crow later.   
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

hobhog

Welcome to social media. Read something posted and all the sudden it's fact and everybody said it. Just like your question- I dont remember a consensus saying he was bad recruiter, but you just stated it as fact.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hobhog on February 09, 2018, 09:50:11 pm
Welcome to social media. Read something posted and all the sudden it's fact and everybody said it. Just like your question- I dont remember a consensus saying he was bad recruiter, but you just stated it as fact.

There is never a consensus but it was heavily bandied about
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Pork Twain

Well, because this board enjoys being overly negative about everything...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 09, 2018, 06:56:07 pm
You do not exactly have a plethora of evidence with respect to Chavis' recruiting at Arkansas.    Yet. 

It's hard to call this season a true test of any of the current coaches recruiting ability given their late start.

A little patience seems warranted here, but the future looks interesting for sure.
What..? I mean,  WUT.!?!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2018, 10:43:50 pm

(Snicker...snicker)...because it is true. 😉
+1

(Note to clarify: not that Chavis sucks at recruiting but agreeing that the board enjoys being negative.)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Flrazrback

Hail to the Chief and his staff for getting some great recruits.

sickboy

Pork Twain

Phil D

Quote from: checkraiser88 on February 09, 2018, 06:38:52 pm
The man is a stud
Maybe he is.  I would like to think so, But to answer your question. Who knows time will tell. No one here knows how good his recruiting is, and those who claim to are only trying to justify their opinion one way or another.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

Because we are dumb enough to try to reason with registered posters (since 2008) who have say 140 (in 8 yrs) who obviously are not Razorback fans but love to stir up mess.

I've already accepted the fact that Mike Norvell will replace Gus Malzahn as the most mentioned named after each and every loss.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

twistitup

Chavis is older and some fans / radio personalities had unreasonably labeled him as over the hill....and claimed he never really liked to recruit.

He has proven them wrong.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PharmacistHog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 10, 2018, 05:36:42 am
Because we are dumb enough to try to reason with registered posters (since 2008) who have say 140 (in 8 yrs) who obviously are not Razorback fans but love to stir up mess.

I've already accepted the fact that Mike Norvell will replace Gus Malzahn as the most mentioned named after each and every loss.

#don'tsendpeckerpicturestocheerleaders
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

nchogg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 10, 2018, 05:36:42 am

Sooo True. I have been a fan since Frank. Social media can be both good and bad. You will always have dumber than dumb causing problems. I don't post a lot but rest assured I say nothing on a message board that I would not say face to face.

The_Iceman

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rtr

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 10, 2018, 07:29:02 am
Saw this on Chavis:

Now that is impressive.  I think Chavis and Caldwell when combined with a young staff gives you a right good mix of youth and experience.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Phil D on February 10, 2018, 04:16:29 am
Maybe he is.  I would like to think so, But to answer your question. Who knows time will tell. No one here knows how good his recruiting is, and those who claim to are only trying to justify their opinion one way or another.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I believe that Chavis has come here very motivated. Not that he hasn't been motivated in the past, I'm sure he has been. But coming to Arkansas, this is probably his last stop. I think that he realizes the difficulty of the challenge that he faces at Arkansas and that if he is going to be able to have players like he had at LSU and A&M who can pressure the opposing offense, he is going to have to get out and recruit them. Add in the factor that he is going to be playing both of his last two teams every year and I think he is very motivated to go out on top, proving that he is the top DC that everyone has said that he has been for years. At least, this is my hope. As you say, we will see.
Go Hogs Go!

Lanny

The man is a stud
who is the board?
Does one poster saying something you don't like, make a board?
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Lanny on February 10, 2018, 07:44:35 am
who is the board?
Does one poster saying something you don't like, make a board?

Not the board as a whole but there were a LOT of posters making the claim that Chavis couldn't recruit and he was a bad choice for DC.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Redhogs

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 07:37:17 am
I don't have a dog in this hunt but I believe that Chavis has come here very motivated. Not that he hasn't been motivated in the past, I'm sure he has been. But coming to Arkansas, this is probably his last stop. I think that he realizes the difficulty of the challenge that he faces at Arkansas and that if he is going to be able to have players like he had at LSU and A&M who can pressure the opposing offense, he is going to have to get out and recruit them. Add in the factor that he is going to be playing both of his last two teams every year and I think he is very motivated to go out on top, proving that he is the top DC that everyone has said that he has been for years. At least, this is my hope. As you say, we will see.
Absolutely believe this...this seem very apparent in his interviews.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

LZH

twistitup

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 10, 2018, 08:55:10 am
I don't know that it is unreasonable to conclude that Chavis may not be what he once was based on his defense's track record at A&M.  The one concern that stands out is this - IF a Chavis' defense has difficulty existing with a high speed offense (as was suggested by his tenure at A&M), what does this mean with the type of offense CCM wants to run? 

It will be interesting to watch this unfold though. 

He has already proven to be a top recruiter since he arrived....now he has to prove he can adjust his D to work with a high paced offense? He's got the background to make those adjustments - with CCM's oversight, I don't see this being an issue.

twistitup

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 10, 2018, 09:55:53 am
Clearly, you're optimistic and that's understandable.  I too am anxious to see what the new coaching staff brings to the field if for no other reason than to shed the persistent feeling of imminent doom that seemed so constant with former CBB. 

My position is this portion of a recruiting year is not going to make or break any of the current coaching staff.  The recruiting ratings are poor but given the late start, understandable.  With that in mind, I have a hard time saying any coach is proven to be a top recruiter solely on the basis on this abbreviated recruiting effort.  We shall see. 

What is undeniable is there exists a sense of Christmas time around here that has not existed in many years (what have we got here type of feeling as the new packages are opened).  Like you seem to be Twist, I'm hoping for the best for the team and fans. 

I'm just glad to have a coach that's known for his tireless hard work, instead of hard drinking. I THINK I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...I couldn't w CBB - complete darkness, just like a blackout

The NewEra

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 09, 2018, 10:43:50 pm

There is soooooo much truth to this.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hobhog on February 09, 2018, 09:50:11 pm
Well you haven't read too much about JC then. Sorry, but there are been numerous comments/opinions expressed that one of his alleged weaknesses is he doesn't particularly like to recruit. 

Vantage 8 dude

February 10, 2018, 10:20:23 am #34 Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:57:14 am by Vantage 8 dude
Quote from: twistitup on February 10, 2018, 06:16:04 am
Chavis is older and some fans / radio personalities had unreasonably labeled him as over the hill....and claimed he never really liked to recruit.

He has proven them wrong.
Actually I think we can say without argument that Chavis is really ON THE HILL. ;) ;) 8)

The NewEra

I agree Chavis is on a mission to end his career (hopefully it's many years) strong and incredibly successful at the U of A.

I agree that Chavis is an excellent recruiter and the staff around him on that defensive side are all good recruiters also.

I agree that there is a sense of Christmas with the program right now.  Thanks goodness!  We needed some serious optimism.  One of the things to be optimistic about is that our practices will be very physical.  That allows players on both side of the ball to show their toughness and be more prepared for live action.  Morris is addressing our most critical issues in a systematic way that you would expect from a guy with a degree in math and statistics.  In a short 64 days we are already better off than we were before Morris and Chavis arrived.  There is a buzz about Morris and staff from South Carolina to California that we haven't seen in this program's history, to my knowledge.

As for the OP's original question, there are some people who were compelled to use only the past few seasons for Chavis and throw out his accomplishments over his many previous years.  That's just not how you do a fair analysis of anything.No one knows exactly what he was dealing with at aTm behind the scene. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

B Ray

The man is a stud
some like to read and believe everything they read, LSU AND A$M fans were brutal and blamed him for there downfalls!! I'm patiently waiting on a swarming defense !!

redeye

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 10, 2018, 08:55:10 am
I don't know that it is unreasonable to conclude that Chavis may not be what he once was based on his defense's track record at A&M.  The one concern that stands out is this - IF a Chavis' defense has difficulty existing with a high speed offense (as was suggested by his tenure at A&M), what does this mean with the type of offense CCM wants to run? 

It will be interesting to watch this unfold though.

The differences are that Morris respects TOP and won't keep Chavis' defense on the field as long as Sumlin did at A&M.

Sumlin also didn't allow Chavis to recruit depth at A&M, because the focus was on the offense.  Morris will supposedly do better, and judging from this recruiting class, that seems to be true.

The 'Chavis' name alone will draw attention from recruits, as we saw with DG and others in this class.  You can debate the merits of his success, but his name is similar to 'Saban' in that way.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: B Ray on February 10, 2018, 11:16:26 am
some like to read and believe everything they read, LSU AND A$M fans were brutal and blamed him for there downfalls!! I'm patiently waiting on a swarming defense !!

At Tennessee his Total Defense averaged a ##26.9 ranking.

At LSU, removing one year that was completely uncharacteristic with a #108 ranking, otherwise he averaged a Total Defense ranking over the other 5 years of #28.4. LSU always had a problem with Offense, not defense.

At A&M I am not sure what happened. Too many plays on offense too fast? I don't know but his defenses averaged #73 over three years with a high of #51 in his first year at A&M.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 10, 2018, 12:05:03 pm
At Tennessee his Total Defense averaged a ##26.9 ranking.

At LSU, removing one year that was completely uncharacteristic with a #108 ranking, otherwise he averaged a Total Defense ranking over the other 5 years of #28.4. LSU always had a problem with Offense, not defense.

At A&M I am not sure what happened. Too many plays on offense too fast? I don't know but his defenses averaged #73 over three years with a high of #51 in his first year at A&M.

College Station is what happened...have you been there? If that place doesn't depress you - your mind is made of steel.

Chavis went down there, immediately got depressed (I don't blame him) - and struggled to make it happen. He's up here now.....Tahlequah a stones throw away, it's gotta feel good for ol Chief.

SooieGeneris

A few message board/talk show self-appointed experts on here or a certain SEC board say something and some automatically accept it as fact-etched in stone fact, that's why.

A lot of people have their head so far up their cellphone they don't take the time or are too intellectually lazy to think for themselves. They look for a cult like figure to tell them what to think in some extreme cases. We see it in politics, religion and yes, sports. Sports, football in particular, IS some people's religion whether they admit it or not.

To me this is not life or death, it is supposed to be fun and games. I usually get mad when we lose (depending on the who,why and how) briefly, but not to the point of being a maniac and I get over it pretty quickly.

Any LSU fans bagging on Chavis are only showing their ignorance. Imagine that, an ignorant Corndog.. Anyway, if LSU fans were 1/10th as savvy as they like to think they are, they would realize the Chavis era there was one of their best defensively. The problem with them for years has been the offense.

In 2011, in two games vs 'Bama, the defense gave up a total of 27 points, 3 TDs and 2 FGs. Who wouldn't take that vs 'Bama? That was with no support from the offense whatsoever as they scored 9 points in those games, ZERO in the NCG. It puts a lot of pressure on the D to feel like they have to get a shutout to win a game. That LSU offense had OBJ and Jarvis Landry, two of the most prolific WRs in the first 5 years in  NFL history, yet they managed 9 points in 2 games?

And somebody had to be recruiting those guys they had on D, it wasn't all the position coaches.

As for A&M, I can understand Aggies grousing about the guy maybe, considering their defense rankings. I just think that was an aberration. Sumlin kind of lost control after Manziel's reign, they had QBs transferring out annually, no defensive culture etc.

TN has no business complaining about the guy either. All  they have to do is contrast their results from his time with the last 10 years..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

Hog N Bama

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 09, 2018, 06:56:07 pm
You do not exactly have a plethora of evidence with respect to Chavis' recruiting at Arkansas.    Yet. 

It's hard to call this season a true test of any of the current coaches recruiting ability given their late start.

A little patience seems warranted here, but the future looks interesting for sure.
in record time the bucket of ice water came into the thread geez

nchogg

Quote from: The NewEra on February 10, 2018, 10:29:48 am
I agree Chavis is on a mission to end his career (hopefully it's many years) strong and incredibly successful at the U of A.

I agree that Chavis is an excellent recruiter and the staff around him on that defensive side are all good recruiters also.

I agree that there is a sense of Christmas with the program right now.  Thanks goodness!  We needed some serious optimism.  One of the things to be optimistic about is that our practices will be very physical.  That allows players on both side of the ball to show their toughness and be more prepared for live action.  Morris is addressing our most critical issues in a systematic way that you would expect from a guy with a degree in math and statistics.  In a short 64 days we are already better off than we were before Morris and Chavis arrived.  There is a buzz about Morris and staff from South Carolina to California that we haven't seen in this program's history, to my knowledge.
As for the OP's original question, there are some people who were compelled to use only the past few seasons for Chavis and throw out his accomplishments over his many previous years.  That's just not how you do a fair analysis of anything.No one knows exactly what he was dealing with at aTm behind the scene.
Many don't realize the pieces we have on both sides of the ball. We have some really good players. I did not see the last coaching staff constantly utilize what they had. Our offense would have been completely different if Coach Enos had full control. We now have a coaching staff that will utilize the players they have to the best of their ability. Coach Caldwell is also one hell of a coach.

Al Boarland

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

racinghog

I thought what some said was he "didn't like to recruit", or he hated to recruit. Not that he didn't recruit.

kennypig

A good friend of mine is a Tennessee fan and said he heard that when Chavis was there he didn't like to recruit. But I can't see CCM hiring any assistant coach that didn't like to recruit.

TeufelHog

To answer the question . . . I believe it had to deal with other teams scoring on his defenses, when he was the DC, regularly.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: kennypig on February 10, 2018, 11:31:35 pm
A good friend of mine is a Tennessee fan and said he heard that when Chavis was there he didn't like to recruit. But I can't see CCM hiring any assistant coach that didn't like to recruit.
A key part of your comments are : "he heard that when Chavis was there he didn't like to recruit". First of all, not saying your friend is necessarily wrong, however, sounds as if this "fact" is second hand. I.E. your acquaintance doesn't know it to be an absolute fact. Secondly, even if this is indeed the case, that's not to say that "The Chief" hasn't decided to change his ways and take a more active role in recruiting. In other words, he realizes that it's his job to ensure the best kids are brought in to help improve the defense. And it's most certainly in his very best interest to see that he gets the top talent he possibly can. 

All-in-all I believe it will be very interesting to observe what transpires on that side of the ball in the coming years. At least based on the limited data we saw from the make up of this initial recruiting class it certainly appears that the defensive side was most definitely an area of emphasis. Personally I was relieved to see that this area of chronic weakness was obviously being addressed.