Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't throw my boy under the bus....

Started by twistitup, January 24, 2018, 05:55:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Dang...all this talk about the Wyoming QB and lack of accuracy at the Senior Bowl and they have to go throw Mallett under the bus - he didn't ask for that!

C'mon guys

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wyoming-qb-josh-allen-passes-eyeball-test-starts-throwing-025702572.html

"...if Allen hopes to live up to the somewhat lazy NFL billing as The Next Carson Wentz. Some are worried he might be closer to The Next Ryan Mallett — a big guy with a big arm who passes the look test but not the actual playing test."

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

onebadrubi

Give Zeke till lunch to come along...

If it's ok for bortles, Mariota, and some of these others to be so innaccurate, this guy will get his shot

hogsanity

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 05:55:49 am
Dang...all this talk about the Wyoming QB and lack of accuracy at the Senior Bowl and they have to go throw Mallett under the bus - he didn't ask for that!

C'mon guys

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wyoming-qb-josh-allen-passes-eyeball-test-starts-throwing-025702572.html

"...if Allen hopes to live up to the somewhat lazy NFL billing as The Next Carson Wentz. Some are worried he might be closer to The Next Ryan Mallett — a big guy with a big arm who passes the look test but not the actual playing test."

When I read how his throws looked Rm was the 1st guy I thought of. Said many passes on short throws were on target but too hard for the receivers to handle. Said he made some throws that really showed off his arm strength, but others that showed a lack of accuracy and touch.

Was not surprised at all the someone compared him to RM.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RME

Busta_Nutt

Mallett is a below-average QB and it's HIS fault. He has all the intangibles to be a great NFL QB, but HE is LAZY.

twistitup

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 10:07:17 am
Mallett is a below-average QB and it's HIS fault. He has all the intangibles to be a great NFL QB, but HE is LAZY.

...but still in the NFL

Busta_Nutt

twistitup

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 10:47:30 am
So is Nathan Peterman. NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Not that difficult....do you know the percentage of football players that end up in the league?

http://www.gcic.peachnet.edu/newsletter/dec06/dec%20outlook/athletes.html

steveaustin69

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 10:58:34 am
Not that difficult....do you know the percentage of football players that end up in the league?

Clearly he does not if he thinks it's easy

Mjs84

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 10:58:34 am

These numbers are from 2006. I don't know if YOU are aware, but it's 2018. Try again.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 05:55:49 am

C'mon guys

Interesting that someone would make a comparison between the two as up to this point I've not seen any such. Where the heck did this come from ??? :o

TrueBlue

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 11:09:15 am
These numbers are from 2006. I don't know if YOU are aware, but it's 2018. Try again.

How long were you in the NFL?

Now I remember, you never were because it is not EASY.

You need to chill.

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

twistitup

and from 2006 to 2017 they started letting everyone in the NFL?

C'mon, don't be a dumbarse....nothing has changed since '06 - look up your own statistics, not hard to find.

To say it's easy to stay in the NFL is laughable

younghog

GO HOGS

code red

Agreed.  I see nothing brutal about the comments.  Spot on IMHO.  Oh what might have happened if he would have eaten the ball (instead of throwing the pick in the EZ) and the Hogs kick a field goal vs. Bama in 10.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

steveaustin69

THESE NUMBERS ARE FROM 2006. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE AWARE, BUT IT'S 2018. TRY AGAIN.

FIFY

steveaustin69

Quote from: code red on January 24, 2018, 11:42:01 am
Agreed.  I see nothing brutal about the comments.  Spot on IMHO.  Oh what might have happened if he would have eaten the ball (instead of throwing the pick in the EZ) and the Hogs kick a field goal vs. Bama in 10.

We still would have lost

SooieGeneris

NFL scouts are often known to have a herd mentality. Whatever one guy says (or a few) is repeated over and over until it is accepted as truth.

Like any other profession, some are lazy and take the approach that if Scout X says this it has to be accurate.

Read JJ Watt's old scouting report before his draft for example, or any number of players. They nitpick about nearly all players.

As far as Mallett, their fears of his not being worth an early pick... have been confirmed by several teams. They fall in love with a 6'5 or taller QB with a super strong arm.

The problems with Mallett, besides his attitude, are: lack of leadership, accuracy and footwork. He has always had that long wind up which allows DBs too much time to make up ground. The taller, longer armed QBs usually have that problem. Their arms are so long that it takes them too much time to get the ball out.

There are exceptions of course. Brady is a taller guy as were the Mannings. I don't think their arms are as long or they have obviously found a way to shorten their release and get the ball out quickly.

Aaron Rodgers can flick his wrist in about the most compact motion you will see and throw the ball every bit as hard as Mallett but with touch when needed and accuracy.

That Hail Mary vs Detroit a couple of years ago traveled well over 60 yards in the air and very nearly hit the roof it was so high. I would take him over any QB in recent years not named Brady or Peyton Manning. Rodgers throws the ball with such accuracy the WR is almost forced to catch it in self defense.

BTW, he had a long wait in the green room on draft day after being projected to maybe go 1st. Fell to the 20s and sat behind Favre for 2-3 years. He can make the jaw dropping throws like Favre, but without the head scratching INTs. MR Mediocrity Alex Smith was the first pick that year..
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

steveaustin69

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 24, 2018, 12:00:04 pm
NFL scouts are often known to have a herd mentality. Whatever one guy says (or a few) is repeated over and over until it is accepted as truth.

Like any other profession, some are lazy and take the approach that if Scout X says this it has to be accurate.

Read JJ Watt's old scouting report before his draft for example, or any number of players. They nitpick about nearly all players.

As far as Mallett, their fears of his not being worth an early pick... have been confirmed by several teams. They fall in love with a 6'5 or taller QB with a super strong arm.

The problems with Mallett, besides his attitude, are: lack of leadership, accuracy and footwork. He has always had that long wind up which allows DBs too much time to make up ground. The taller, longer armed QBs usually have that problem. Their arms are so long that it takes them too much time to get the ball out.

There are exceptions of course. Brady is a taller guy as were the Mannings. I don't think their arms are as long or they have obviously found a way to shorten their release and get the ball out quickly.

Aaron Rodgers can flick his wrist in about the most compact motion you will see and throw the ball every bit as hard as Mallett but with touch when needed and accuracy.

That Hail Mary vs Detroit a couple of years ago traveled well over 60 yards in the air and very nearly hit the roof it was so high. I would take him over any QB in recent years not named Brady or Peyton Manning. Rodgers throws the ball with such accuracy the WR is almost forced to catch it in self defense.

BTW, he had a long wait in the green room on draft day after being projected to maybe go 1st. Fell to the 20s and sat behind Favre for 2-3 years. He can make the jaw dropping throws like Favre, but without the head scratching INTs. MR Mediocrity Alex Smith was the first pick that year..

taking the best qb in the league is probably a safe bet in my book

RME

Quote from: SooieGeneris on January 24, 2018, 12:00:04 pm

1. The jump from Mallett to Rodgers doesn't make sense to me. I'm not following the stream of consciousness here.

2. Your post reads as though Rodgers is extremely underappreciated or undervalued. He might've fallen sure, but he was still drafted in the first round. And anyone who even casually follows the NFL knows that Rodgers is arguably the best quarterback in the league, and has been for years.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 24, 2018, 11:17:19 am
How long were you in the NFL?

Now I remember, you never were because it is not EASY.

You need to chill.

Stay in your lane.

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 11:31:33 am
and from 2006 to 2017 they started letting everyone in the NFL?

C'mon, don't be a dumbarse....nothing has changed since '06 - look up your own statistics, not hard to find.

To say it's easy to stay in the NFL is laughable

Then why is Geno Smith still playing? Why is Derek Anderson still playing? Can't argue with logic. NOT that difficult.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 12:31:16 pm
Stay in your lane.

Then why is Geno Smith still playing? Why is Derek Anderson still playing? Can't argue with logic. NOT that difficult.

where is Troy Smith playing?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 10:32:52 am
...but still in the NFL
Please let me know when he starts as many games in the NFL as Joe Ferguson did before you make him the GOAT.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RME

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 24, 2018, 12:38:49 pm
where is Troy Smith playing?

Probably with his kids while waiting on his NFL pension.

Or facing drug charges. Who knows.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/10/21/former-heisman-winner-troy-smith-charged-possession-drug-paraphernalia/787204001/

Point is, he played 4 years in the NFL. Longer than the average career.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 24, 2018, 12:47:41 pm
Probably with his kids while waiting on his NFL pension.
lol, CFL, at least as of a couple years ago.  he took over for another Heisman winner Eric Crouch when he got injured.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ChicoHog

I've watched Wyoming play a few times the last couple of years.  Allen makes enough of the "holy cow, what a throw" type plays to get the scouts drooling.  he also is pretty athletic, much more nimble than Mallet, and can run well.  Unfortunately he also makes a lot of poor throws, questionable decisions and inaccurate passes to think he probably will need a lot of work. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 24, 2018, 12:12:25 pm
1. The jump from Mallett to Rodgers doesn't make sense to me. I'm not following the stream of consciousness here.

2. Your post reads as though Rodgers is extremely underappreciated or undervalued. He might've fallen sure, but he was still drafted in the first round. And anyone who even casually follows the NFL knows that Rodgers is arguably the best quarterback in the league, and has been for years.

The jump from Mallett to Rodgers is just an example, the point being Rodgers has a very quick release and short throwing motion compared to Mallett's windup. Not that complicated.

And yes, I do think Rodgers is somewhat under appreciated as I'm surrounded by Cowboys fans. These people were claiming last year that Prescott was already better or was going to be due to his rapid ascent compared to Rodgers' sitting 2-3 years.

He was definitely under appreciated on draft day to go behind Alex Smith and a bunch of long forgotten names.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 24, 2018, 12:08:17 pm
taking the best qb in the league is probably a safe bet in my book

When comparing players, why not start with a comparison to arguably the best? The point was that IMO Rodgers has the quickest release and shortest throwing motion. And that a great QB doesn't have to be tall, a quality that many scouts fall in love with.

That's partly why many of our fans were gaga over RM, along with the big arm, even though there are many more Leafs than there are Mannings among the over 6'5 QB club.

Of course, Mallett would suffer in comparison to most starters in the NFL

plumbhog

Career backup QB in the NFL is the best job on earth!
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

Athog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 24, 2018, 10:47:30 am
So is Nathan Peterman. NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Really. Why don't you ask Matt Jones...Felix......Tyler...easy yeah!

Michael D Huff AIA

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league///

For those that don't want to click:

11.7 yrs. - Players with at least one Pro Bowl selection
9.3 yrs. - First round draft picks
7.1 yrs. - Players with at least three pension-credited seasons
6.0 yrs. - Player who makes a club's opening day roster in his rookie season
3.3 yrs. - Average career of an NFL player

4.87 yrs. - Kickers and punters
4.44 yrs. - Quarterbacks
2.94 yrs. - Cornerbacks
2.81 yrs. - Wide Recievers
2.57 yrs. - Running backs

These numbers tell me that it's damn hard to stay in the NFL.  I'm not sure what the rest of us do for a living, but I'm in my 20th year of gainful employment in my industry.

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: Athog on January 25, 2018, 06:13:40 am

Really. Why don't you ask Matt Jones...Felix......Tyler...easy yeah!

Matt Jones played 4 seasons, Felix Jones played 6 season, meaning their NFL careers were average-above average in length. Tyler Wilson has baby hands and apparently had difficulties learning a playbook. Ryan Mallett has all the intangibles and when you have those, it's NOT THAT DIFFICULT to stick around for a while in the NFL.

KlubhouseKonnected

Clown shoes
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

HogInThaGrove

Bunch of dudes in here acting like we wouldn't take Mallett back in a heartbeat. 

Mallett got hosed by going to the Patriots and not being able to play immediately and go through growing pains.  Then he was traded to a team with a head coach who didn't want him and ran an offense completely opposite of all of his strengths.  Despite this, he was going to be the starter going forward before tearing his pectoral muscle.  Then signed with Baltimore to be behind another all-pro, while dudes like Bortles, or even Gabbert or Matt Leinart have started in the league.  RGIII was all world and now can't even get a job in the league. 
Mallett isn't Brady, but in the right situation with the right coach he could do very well.  For the majority of his career he has been a square peg that coaches have been trying to stuff into a round hole.

He's still rich as shat and concussion free.  Good life.

steveaustin69

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on January 25, 2018, 09:50:08 am
Bunch of dudes in here acting like we wouldn't take Mallett back in a heartbeat. 

Mallett got hosed by going to the Patriots and not being able to play immediately and go through growing pains.  Then he was traded to a team with a head coach who didn't want him and ran an offense completely opposite of all of his strengths.  Despite this, he was going to be the starter going forward before tearing his pectoral muscle.  Then signed with Baltimore to be behind another all-pro, while dudes like Bortles, or even Gabbert or Matt Leinart have started in the league.  RGIII was all world and now can't even get a job in the league. 
Mallett isn't Brady, but in the right situation with the right coach he could do very well.  For the majority of his career he has been a square peg that coaches have been trying to stuff into a round hole.

Is Joe Flacco elite?

Busta_Nutt

Yes, then he lost the job to Brian Hoyer. Then he missed his flight to Miami, so he was rightfully cut. As stated earlier - has the intangibles, but he's LAZY.  No one to blame but himself.

PolishPigPower

To say he went to a coach in Houston who didn't want him isn't accurate.  He traded with the Patriots to get him, because he had been RM's OC in NE.  RM had every chance to play, and was shown winning the job on Hard Knocks before his alarm didn't go off the next day.  He's been a very serviceable backup to Flacco, and maybe his time with the Texans was ultimately a wakeup call, but it can't be said he hasn't had his chances.  RM is responsible for where his career is, but where it is ain't that bad.  He's made a lot of money, hasn't taken a lot of hits, and can buy all the scantrons he wants.
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HogFansReunited

So lazy that he sits around making millions a year and not really putting his body in danger. Honestly, he is doing more than 99.9% of people that grow up wanting to play sports.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

steveaustin69

Quote from: IronHog on January 25, 2018, 01:24:27 pm
That wasn't that great of a Bama team

FIFY

Field goal on that drive likely doesn't change that game. Still a two score game at half; teams wouldn't have played differently/called different plays. Bama didn't take the lead until three minutes left in the game.

IronHog

Quote from: Busta_Nutt on January 25, 2018, 10:37:23 am
Yes, then he lost the job to Brian Hoyer. Then he missed his flight to Miami, so he was rightfully cut. As stated earlier - has the intangibles, but he's LAZY.  No one to blame but himself.

Elite NFL starter body, good football IQ, NOT a NFL starter mentality

Is what it is.  He's making nice money and will be able to think and walk when he's done.  Not a bad gig

steveaustin69

Quote from: IronHog on January 25, 2018, 04:59:02 pm
Elite NFL starter body, good football IQ, NOT a NFL starter mentality

Is what it is.  He's making nice money and will be able to think and walk when he's done.  Not a bad gig

We still talking about Ryan Mallet?

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IronHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 25, 2018, 05:19:06 pm

He ran BPs offense to well to be stupid

He just isn't that huge competitor it takes to excell in the NFL.

He can make the hard throws though.

onebadrubi

Quote from: steveaustin69 on January 25, 2018, 05:19:06 pm

lol!  Yeah, anyone that has ever spent any time with the guy knows he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.  He knows football and can grasp a playbook, sure.   But guys is going to have a hard time in the professional world if he had to make a career of it.  Which if he has the right people around him he won't have to worry about it