Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disney World

Started by Boll Hawg, November 03, 2015, 02:05:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: McKdaddy on May 06, 2016, 08:12:19 am
There are those of us that enjoy both, fwiw.

i like amusement parks also. I've been to quite a few. I just think that to learn and see the real things in life and nature is priceless and most amusement parks are way over priced.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LSUFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 11, 2016, 12:27:58 pm
i like amusement parks also. I've been to quite a few. I just think that to learn and see the real things in life and nature is priceless and most amusement parks are way over priced.
I approve this message.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

McKdaddy

I just think that to learn and see the real things in life and nature is priceless

Agreed
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ricepig

Ain't that what separates us from other primates?

arkhogball

Okay.  We have annual passes (so we get to go quite often) and live close enough that my wife and I have taken date nights there.  We just spent five days straight at Disney, and it was the best family vacation we have ever had.  Normally we would go to a park and spend every minute there until exhaustion.   But this time, we would go to the park in the morning (with fastpasses scheduled for the rides that we had to do).  Mid-afternoon go back to the resort for two-three hours.  Then, either go back to the same park or another park for the rest of the evening. 

The nighttime shows at each park are great.  Except Animal Kingdom isn't starting theirs until sometime around Memorial Day weekend. 

We saw the Star Wars themed fireworks at Hollywood Studios for the first time last week, and it is the best fireworks show I have ever seen.  Starts at 10pm on selected nights.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: arkhogball on May 12, 2016, 11:35:19 am
Okay.  We have annual passes (so we get to go quite often) and live close enough that my wife and I have taken date nights there.  We just spent five days straight at Disney, and it was the best family vacation we have ever had.  Normally we would go to a park and spend every minute there until exhaustion.   But this time, we would go to the park in the morning (with fastpasses scheduled for the rides that we had to do).  Mid-afternoon go back to the resort for two-three hours.  Then, either go back to the same park or another park for the rest of the evening. 

The nighttime shows at each park are great.  Except Animal Kingdom isn't starting theirs until sometime around Memorial Day weekend. 

We saw the Star Wars themed fireworks at Hollywood Studios for the first time last week, and it is the best fireworks show I have ever seen.  Starts at 10pm on selected nights.

We also plan on taking breaks throughout the day.  I'm not sure we'd last ALL day at one park.  This will be our first trip.  I've known people that have went every year, for years and still have NOT seen everything there is to see.  My preliminary itinerary is as follows:

Monday:  All day at Magic Kingdom
Tuesday: 1/2 day at Magic Kingdom and 1/2 day at Hollywood Studios
Wednesday:  1/2 day at Hollywood Studios and 1/2 day at Epcot
Thursday:  All day at Animal Kingdom
Friday:  Either a rest day or SeaWorld (got 4 free tickets!)
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Boll Hawg on May 12, 2016, 02:31:06 pm
We also plan on taking breaks throughout the day.  I'm not sure we'd last ALL day at one park.  This will be our first trip.  I've known people that have went every year, for years and still have NOT seen everything there is to see.  My preliminary itinerary is as follows:

exhaust yourself, you can "rest" when you get home............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Boll Hawg on May 12, 2016, 02:31:06 pm

We took breaks everyday and it worked great (we have two children who were 6 and 3 at the time).

I don't think we could spend a whole day at Animal Kingdom (really not that much to do outside of the safari) but could the rest of the parks (If you're kids like Finding Nemo Animal Kingdom does have a really good show).

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on May 12, 2016, 04:32:12 pm
We took breaks everyday and it worked great (we have two children who were 6 and 3 at the time).

I don't think we could spend a whole day at Animal Kingdom (really not that much to do outside of the safari) but could the rest of the parks (If you're kids like Finding Nemo Animal Kingdom does have a really good show).

My boys are 10 and 8.  My wife has bought vacation planning books on Disney.  I'm letting her plan the logistics.  We can start making fast pass reservations next week!     

McKdaddy

We've never taken "back-to-the-resort" breaks during any of our trips.  We planned to take these breaks on our first trip in 2008 when we only had 1 child, age 3, but she never tired.  We would take 20-minute snack breaks, then she was ready to go again.

The rest of our trips to WDW, with 2 kiddos, also did not involve these breaks.  As an adult I could've used them, but the kids simply didn't want them, and would be ready to roll day-after-day for these week-at-a-time length trips.  If we could only harness that energy....

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: Boll Hawg on May 13, 2016, 08:00:08 am
My boys are 10 and 8.  My wife has bought vacation planning books on Disney.  I'm letting her plan the logistics.  We can start making fast pass reservations next week!     

My wife became obsessed with the planning (she read a million blogs) and had a "mouseplanner" that helped her with recommendations.  Each day was pretty much planned 6 months ahead of time.  I don't think I'd go to Disney without Fast Passes!

DLUXHOG

FWIW, I find Disneyland in Anaheim more easily digestible than Disneyworld.   I liked both a lot though.......

arkhogball

Boll Hawg.....

If you can fit a day in for SeaWorld...Do it (if you like roller coasters).  SeaWorld has two of the best I've ever ridden.  We love going there for a break from Disney.  We went there on Sunday afternoon because Magic Kingdom was a little too busy for us. 

SeaWorld has a new coaster opening June 10.  Tallest, fastest, and longest coaster in Orlando.  It's called Mako.  Can't wait to ride it. 

The Blue Horizon dolphin show is very entertaining, and the One Ocean whale show is good too.

Nice to experience...especially if you can do it for free!!!

Boll Hawg

Quote from: arkhogball on May 13, 2016, 11:00:04 am
Boll Hawg.....

If you can fit a day in for SeaWorld...Do it (if you like roller coasters).  SeaWorld has two of the best I've ever ridden.  We love going there for a break from Disney.  We went there on Sunday afternoon because Magic Kingdom was a little too busy for us. 

SeaWorld has a new coaster opening June 10.  Tallest, fastest, and longest coaster in Orlando.  It's called Mako.  Can't wait to ride it. 

The Blue Horizon dolphin show is very entertaining, and the One Ocean whale show is good too.

Nice to experience...especially if you can do it for free!!!

Thanks for that info!  I got 4 free SeaWorld tickets (military) and we'll probably go on June 17.  The older I get the less I like thrill rides, and heights, but what the heck I need to live a little!

Oklahawg

First, have a great time. You will find there are things the boys want to do again...go for it. We missed half of Animal Kingdom and half of Epcot our first trip because our daughter (about 4 at the time) had to see Lion King several times (it is indoors, A/C works well, and is totally awesome). We now go twice every visit.

Second, schedule those meals now! The meal plan allows for serious savings. We enjoy the nice Italian place in Epcot and I thought the Hibachi grill in Japan was good. I absolutely love the various mexican restaurants in Epcot but the nicest of the bunch was not Americanized enough for my kids.

Third, I find no reason to NOT return to the resort midday. The crowds are far worse midday and the pool is its own level of fun at Disneyworld. My entire family loves it when I put the A/C on about 67 after an hour at the pool and we nestle under the sheets for a good nap. There is something really empowering about heading into a park (still open for another 4 hours) while everyone else is filing out like zombies. You are refreshed and the lines are short.

Hint: look for folks who are leaving with fast passes in their hands. I picked up two sets and added them to our haul. We were having to run from ride to ride to get them all enjoyed.

The Bugs Life show is fun, and the A/C feels good. See a theme? The indoor shows are a great chance to beat the heat.

I do not know where your resort is. Sometimes, it is easier to catch a shuttle to another resort and then ride to a park. We typically go to one of the resorts on the tram route for breakfast with the characters. That shuttle is quick and not crowded. We now take that shuttle sometimes and have an easy tram ride to Magic Kingdom or Epcot.

Go enjoy! We are returning next year and the kids are already excited.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

cosmodrum

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on May 12, 2016, 04:32:12 pm

My favorite park is AK. The Safari is awesome, and it's fun doing it a few times because sometimes different animals come out and you get different drivers and some are just better than others. Yak and Yeti is really good food, Expedition Everest is a great ride, and the trek (gorillas, etc) is really good. We watched a baby play with his older sister for a while. Rolling around, jumping on her, etc, while mama just sat and watched. It was really cool.
Go away, batin'

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Boll Hawg

Well, we just returned yesterday.  16hr. car trip plus I got strep throat on the last day of the vacation.  Bummer.

Anyways, we had an eventful week.  On the way down there we heard about the nightclub shooting.  On our 2nd day down there the gator incident happened literally across the street from us.  We were outside our resort (Shades of Green) waiting to see the Magic Kingdom fireworks show when police cars started going crazy and a helicopter zoomed in spotlighting the lagoon.  We had no idea what was going on and didn't find out until the next morning.  Awful news!  The media converged on our resort parking lot for the remainder of our trip.

Anyways, about the trip.  It was freakin' hot. Crowds everywhere. Long lines.  As a fellow passenger on the monorail stated to me "This place has lost its magic."  We had fastpasses + magic bands.  I absolutely recommend them.  But even with fastpasses you can expect to wait a bit.  Magic Kingdom was fun, but very crowded.  Epcot, meh...  Hollywood studios was ok, unless you're really into Star Wars and then it could be heaven.  Animal Kingdom was really nice and shaded.  We did all the essential rides and shows.  The only rides that really stood out to me as great were Space Mountain and Expedition Everest.  The best show was the Lion King one at AK.  I honestly believe that if you're looking for thrill rides Silver Dollar City has Disney World beat.  Much more shade also!   

My wife loved the trip.  The kids are indifferent about it.  I think they would've preferred to stay at the resort and swim all day.  They were flat out exhausted.  We had to drag them around daily.  I observed parents pulling their exhausted kids by the arm everyday screaming "You're having fun, we paid all this money, this is fun!" with the kids crying in tote.  My youngest was on the verge of heat exhaustion at the end of day 1.  I had a good time, but am in NO hurry to return. 

McKdaddy

I can't say enough times how much we enjoy our trips there in the cooler weather, over Thanksgiving break. We usually stay Sat through Sat, which involves the kids only missing school the Mon & Tues before Thanksgiving. Better attitudes by all visiting WDW in cooler weather, and my kiddos won't leave until they close the parks each day (though I am good leaving after our dinner reservation each night, ha).

Thanks for the report BH.

oldman1015

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 19, 2016, 03:15:23 pm
I can't say enough times how much we enjoy our trips there in the cooler weather, over Thanksgiving break. We usually stay Sat through Sat, which involves the kids only missing school the Mon & Tues before Thanksgiving. Better attitudes by all visiting WDW in cooler weather, and my kiddos won't leave until they close the parks each day (though I am good leaving after our dinner reservation each night, ha).

been In july and for 5 days at christms. july blows
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DLUXHOG

jfan01

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 19, 2016, 03:15:23 pm

We are planning to go Thanksgiving week.  How are the crowds during that time of year?

McKdaddy

Quote from: jfan01 on June 21, 2016, 10:42:29 am
We are planning to go Thanksgiving week.  How are the crowds during that time of year?

Great crowd size (i.e.  doesn't feel very crowded) the Sat thru Tues before Thanksgiving. The crowd really picks up on Wed before Thanksgiving and maintains itself till we leave on the Sat after Thanksgiving. But the increased crowd from Wed thru Sat is still slightly less than the size of the crowd in the summer, (imo), and most importantly the temps are nice for dealing w/ the crowds.

jfan01

Quote from: McKdaddy on June 21, 2016, 10:23:00 pm
Great crowd size (i.e.  doesn't feel very crowded) the Sat thru Tues before Thanksgiving. The crowd really picks up on Wed before Thanksgiving and maintains itself till we leave on the Sat after Thanksgiving. But the increased crowd from Wed thru Sat is still slightly less than the size of the crowd in the summer, (imo), and most importantly the temps are nice for dealing w/ the crowds.

Great.  Thanks.  We're looking forward to it.  Our first trip to Disney.

McKdaddy

Quote from: jfan01 on June 22, 2016, 08:56:40 am
Great.  Thanks.  We're looking forward to it.  Our first trip to Disney.

Good.  I hope your family has a wonderful time and I look forward to hearing your review.

hog.goblin

Quote from: LSUFan on November 04, 2015, 10:49:00 pm
Disney sucks, and sucks hard in the summer. The temp coming off the concrete is between 130-140 with >90% humidity.

We are here now.  Apparently a great time to be here.  It was 41 when I left the hotel and a high of 68.

But it is darned expensive.

The meal plan has saved us, but tipping $20 - $30 for a buffet is irritating.  But the service and food has been great.

hog.goblin

Quote from: jfan01 on June 21, 2016, 10:42:29 am

We got here Wednesday night and plan to stay until Wednesday afternoon.  Crowds were light (I guess I'm a rookie) on Thursday and Friday, and not as busy Saturday as I expected.

Sunday was chaotic and Monday is starting out that way.

Oklahawg

Always good to check in and get the latest tips from the pros (ie, those who have been since I last visited).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hog.goblin on November 21, 2016, 08:09:37 am
We are here now.  Apparently a great time to be here.  It was 41 when I left the hotel and a high of 68.

But it is darned expensive.

The meal plan has saved us, but tipping $20 - $30 for a buffet is irritating.  But the service and food has been great.

While I never been I always been told it was expensive.   Sea World is great.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 05, 2016, 09:35:33 am
While I never been I always been told it was expensive.   Sea World is great.

Entrance to the park isn't what's outrageous.

It's the food (either go with the dining plan or bring snacks and eat off campus) and the hotels.

ICEman

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on June 19, 2016, 12:28:32 pm
The only way to do Disney World: http://nypost.com/2013/05/14/rich-manhattan-moms-hire-handicapped-tour-guides-so-kids-can-cut-lines-at-disney-world/

Disney put the kibosh to this 'charade'. For 'most' rides and attractions those with limited mobility must now endure the long queues with the non-effete.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

hog.goblin

Quote from: ICEman on December 13, 2016, 09:21:02 am
Disney put the kibosh to this 'charade'. For 'most' rides and attractions those with limited mobility must now endure the long queues with the non-effete.

I noticed several times we got in line that there was someone in a wheel chair in the line.  I kept look for handicap lines but didn't see them.

hawgon

I was lucky, my ten year old was not impressed.  She thought the rides were babyish.  I don't have to go again.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgon on January 02, 2017, 07:27:37 pm
I was lucky, my ten year old was not impressed.  She thought the rides were babyish.  I don't have to go again.

Well, I wouldn't call Everest, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, or Mission Space babyish, but I wouldn't argue with her.  Saves you lots of money.

I would argue that ride for ride you are getting more money out of SDC or your typical Six Flags.  But Disney has everything else (like it or leave it of course).

je100

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 02, 2017, 08:09:24 pm
Well, I wouldn't call Everest, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, or Mission Space babyish, but I wouldn't argue with her.  Saves you lots of money.

I would argue that ride for ride you are getting more money out of SDC or your typical Six Flags.  But Disney has everything else (like it or leave it of course).

Agreee, Outlaw Run at SDC is no joke, and Wildfire is still a fun ride.

hog.goblin

Quote from: je100 on January 03, 2017, 09:15:28 am
Agreee, Outlaw Run at SDC is no joke, and Wildfire is still a fun ride.

Outlaw Run is the most intense ride I've ever been on, probably assisted by the fact that there is absolutely nothing to hold on to.

Wildfire is just an amazingly good ride.  Good speed, smooth, nice transitions.

I told my wife that Aerosmiths Rock n'Roller Coaster was Powder Keg, inside a dark building with lit-up street signs.  And good music.

je100

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 03, 2017, 01:41:57 pm
Outlaw Run is the most intense ride I've ever been on, probably assisted by the fact that there is absolutely nothing to hold on to.

I told my wife that Aerosmiths Rock n'Roller Coaster was Powder Keg, inside a dark building with lit-up street signs.  And good music.

Agree.  The screeching sound, and the barrel roll at the end really make Outlaw Run a fun ride.  I also agree on Wildfire.  Smooth and fast, and being secured over the shoulder instead of the legs, makes for a great ride.  I was there last week (for about the fourth time in 2016), and got to ride both a couple of times. 

I've been to a handful of Six Flags at various places, and SDC is still my favorite park.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 03, 2017, 01:41:57 pm

I never thought of it that way, but I agree. Love both rides.
Go away, batin'

hawgon

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 02, 2017, 08:09:24 pm

She laughed at all of those.  The only one she really liked as the Tower of Terror.

LSUFan

Quote from: hawgon on January 02, 2017, 07:27:37 pm
Lucky bastard.

Mine have been about 10 times, they don't want to go back.

I could have paid for a lot of college with that money.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hog.goblin on December 05, 2016, 12:21:07 pm
Entrance to the park isn't what's outrageous.

It's the food (either go with the dining plan or bring snacks and eat off campus) and the hotels.

We had friends go for 5 days about 8 years ago and they had a family of 5 and spent over 6 grand on the trip time they got back home.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hog.goblin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 10, 2017, 08:40:59 am
We had friends go for 5 days about 8 years ago and they had a family of 5 and spent over 6 grand on the trip time they got back home.

Family of 5 here.  It was not cheaper in 2016 compared to 2008.  It's quite the investment.

94 Hawg

our last trip in late '14 was 2 adults & 2 teens. stayed in the (then) new art of animation suites with 6 park days and the mid tier dining plan
spent 5k including air fare
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

McKdaddy

Quote from: 94 Hawg on January 13, 2017, 07:58:16 pm
our last trip in late '14 was 2 adults & 2 teens. stayed in the (then) new art of animation suites with 6 park days and the mid tier dining plan
spent 5k including air fare

Agreed, 5.5-6.5k on average per trip.

MO.Hog

Booked one for this summer.  My wife and I and two kids.  We are staying at Animal Kingdom lodge, and have the mid tier dining plan.  Haven't booked airfare yet, and am looking at just under 6 right now. 

McKdaddy

Summer in Orlando (shudders).  Our choice was always in the fall during the week of Thanksgiving for cooler weather and fewer people, but I understand that the summer is easiest for most families.

hog.goblin

Quote from: MO.Hog on January 17, 2017, 08:33:03 am
Booked one for this summer.  My wife and I and two kids.  We are staying at Animal Kingdom lodge, and have the mid tier dining plan.  Haven't booked airfare yet, and am looking at just under 6 right now. 

If you haven't been before, be prepared for long bus rides.  Animal Kingdom isn't on the monorail and is a fairly long ride to the other parks by bus.

hog.goblin

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 17, 2017, 09:42:16 am
Summer in Orlando (shudders).  Our choice was always in the fall during the week of Thanksgiving for cooler weather and fewer people, but I understand that the summer is easiest for most families.

This, I boycott the state of FL from May through October.

oldman1015

Quote from: McKdaddy on January 17, 2017, 09:42:16 am
I've been in July and at Christmas. Different worlds.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

hawgon

I went this last July.  I didn't find it any hotter than East Texas.  Then again I'm not out wandering around on my concrete parking lot for hours on end during the heat of the day here either.

The first day was rough.  After that we got used to it.  Plus we were waiting in line when the doors opened, stayed still about three, went back to the hotel and rested and swam, then back for the shows at night.