Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas Tech this years Rutgers?

Started by Hawgphish, August 31, 2014, 09:27:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgphish

After watching Texas Tech vs. UCA, the Hogs should win that game easily.  However, if we find a way to lose that game, much like Rutgers last season, our bowl hopes may be dashed.  Is there any chance we get to 6 wins if we don't beat Texas Tech? 

HiggiePiggy

I don't believe there is.  I can't see us winning 3 sec games this year.  It's hard to see 2. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Tick Hog

We will not be favored to win the Tech game

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Hawgphish on August 31, 2014, 09:27:13 pm
After watching Texas Tech vs. UCA, the Hogs should win that game easily.  However, if we find a way to lose that game, much like Rutgers last season, our bowl hopes may be dashed.  Is there any chance we get to 6 wins if we don't beat Texas Tech?

I think we have a good chance a beating Tech, and it will be a very important game. Beating Nichols will not do a whole lot for the teams confidence, beating tech will. Additionally as you say to get to 6 we need this win. This will be a game where we will be able to either build on the win, or lose a lot of creditably, confidence, momentum, and our bowl chances.

Something that could be dangerous is looking at how TT played UCA and think we will beat them easy. Some teams play bad the first game and then improve. We will know a little more after TT's next game.

jry04

Quote from: Tick Hog on August 31, 2014, 09:58:03 pm
We will not be favored to win the Tech game
Probably not, but it will be no more than a touchdown spread.

Tick Hog

Quote from: jry04 on August 31, 2014, 10:09:16 pm
Probably not, but it will be no more than a touchdown spread.
You gonna take the Hogs?

The Boar War

Quote from: Tick Hog on August 31, 2014, 10:17:50 pm
You gonna take the Hogs?

If yesterday's games are an accurate indicator?

Absolutely.

Bubba's Bruisers

I suspect TT is a good matchup for us.  Very winnable game.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Lake City Hog

Texas Tech IS this year's Rutgers! Win that game and getting to 6 is doable. Lose and it becomes an uphill battle.
Beat TT and we can pretty much count on winning all 4 of the OOC games. OM looks beatable to get to 5. Who is #6?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Lake City Hog on August 31, 2014, 10:51:56 pm
Texas Tech IS this year's Rutgers! Win that game and getting to 6 is doable. Lose and it becomes an uphill battle.
Beat TT and we can pretty much count on winning all 4 of the OOC games. OM looks beatable to get to 5. Who is #6?

Mizzou/LSU/MissStake

I don't think Georgia will be an easy opponent as some have stated here. Bama will be Bama, and aTm looks annoyingly good, I don't know where they find these annoying acting/looking foookers to play QB for them.

TNRazorbacker

No, that game is a must win to have any expectation of a bowl. I thought that prior to the season and after this weekend I'm sure of it.

WizardofhOgZ

Many observers have long since designated the Tech game as a key "swing game" this year, for all of the reasons stated.  Road game.  Mediocre opponent with big question marks surrounding their rush defense.  Fast paced offense that seems to be our biggest challenge defensively.  Etc.

I think it will be a game where both teams may score more than 40 points.  Might come down to the kicking game.

Ramtough

I think it is but even with a win against Tech it's still not a conference win. Bielema needs a conference win this year to keep his job. I can't see any SEC coach surviving 0-16 in conference over 2 years.

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Ramtough on August 31, 2014, 11:41:59 pm
I think it is but even with a win against Tech it's still not a conference win. Bielema needs a conference win this year to keep his job. I can't see any SEC coach surviving 0-16 in conference over 2 years.

He will. We have Bielema through the end of his contract regardless. As painful as 0-16 will be, it will be even worse undergoing yet another coaching change on the heels of it. 

Hawgphish

hogcard1964

hogcard1964

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on August 31, 2014, 11:55:03 pm
He will. We have Bielema through the end of his contract regardless. As painful as 0-16 will be, it will be even worse undergoing yet another coaching change on the heels of it.

No, no coach would survive that. But he will win some conference games this year.

onebadrubi

Our thing against tech will be man handling the clock and keeping their offense off the field.  They will score some points sure, but I expect to see almost 300 yards rushing a d 175 passing.  By the time we should see a full Oline rotation with Wallace (depending on RS, ragnow, and Jefferson) and some better O as a whole.  Hopefully we have tevin back in the corner spot too for some needed depth.  Regardless of how bad some of y'all think our secondary is, that added senior in the depth of the secondary can't hurt against a team like Tech. 

We will need to have 30 minutes + in TOP. 

shotgun7

Ya'll do realize Texas Tech is ranked no 21, and fell 3 places after the close call to UCA right? We will not be favored to win... I hope, and think we will but we will be the underdog.  :razorback:

Choctaw Hog

No.  Texas Tech is this year's Texas Tech.

Phil D

unfortunately if we lose to TT I really don't see six  wins on the schedule
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Phil D on September 01, 2014, 09:46:48 am
unfortunately if we lose to TT I really don't see six  wins on the schedule

We will beat Texas Tech.

Phil D

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 01, 2014, 09:54:16 am
We will beat Texas Tech.

I believe we will but the question was if we lose do we get to six wins, and my answer was I don't think so.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 01, 2014, 07:12:41 am
Ya'll do realize Texas Tech is ranked no 21, and fell 3 places after the close call to UCA right? We will not be favored to win... I hope, and think we will but we will be the underdog.  :razorback:

Texas Tech is not ranked anywhere.  They were picked 6th preseason in the Big 12 media poll.  After beating Central Arkansas 42-35 and giving up over 400 yards to Central Arkansas, this is as winnable a road game as you are going to find against a major conference foe.  Wait, the Big 12 also has Iowa State and Kansas, what a conference! 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on September 01, 2014, 05:23:33 pm
Texas Tech is not ranked anywhere.  They were picked 6th preseason in the Big 12 media poll.  After beating Central Arkansas 42-35 and giving up over 400 yards to Central Arkansas, this is as winnable a road game as you are going to find against a major conference foe.  Wait, the Big 12 also has Iowa State and Kansas, what a conference! 

Yes and the sec has Vanderbilt, Kentucky,  and Arkansas right now.  We don't have any room to talk about bottom feeders of other conferences when we are one of them of our conference. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 01, 2014, 05:34:22 pm
Yes and the sec has Vanderbilt, Kentucky,  and Arkansas right now.  We don't have any room to talk about bottom feeders of other conferences when we are one of them of our conference. 

The point was, Texas Tech is not ranked as the previous poster suggested.  Texas Tech is a winnable road game. 

Rooster Hogburn

Quote from: Ramtough on August 31, 2014, 11:41:59 pm

0-16, I don't even want to think about it. I'm confident bielema will make some things happen this year. The Music City Bowl will be a great outcome to this season.
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

hogsanity

said it months ago. Have to go 4-0 in ooc games, then win 2 sec games. Think we split with the miss schools, then have to steal one somewhere else. Oddly enough LSu is the most likely for that.  They can not pass at all, and their power run game may be what the Hogs are best suited to stop with out DL.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

shotgun7

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on September 01, 2014, 05:23:33 pm

http://redraiders.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2014-08-31/redraiderscom-top-25-rankings-sept-1#.VAVH68VdU4Y

I am not sure what poll they are referring to, but it says TT is ranked number 21 and fell 3 places after a close call to UCA

* I do see now this was not a Major poll

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 01, 2014, 11:34:27 pm
http://redraiders.com/sports-red-raiders-football/2014-08-31/redraiderscom-top-25-rankings-sept-1#.VAVH68VdU4Y

I am not sure what poll they are referring to, but it says TT is ranked number 21 and fell 3 places after a close call to UCA

That's a poll of texas teams. They are 21st in Texas   ;)
This is my non-signature signature.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: shotgun7 on September 01, 2014, 11:34:27 pm

Correct, it was a poll published by Red Raiders.com.  One sports writer for the Lubbock newspaper and his opinion.  He still ranked Texas Tech after giving up over 400 yards and 35 points to FCS Central Arkansas with 63 scholarships.  Do you think he might wear some Red Raider colored glasses?   

jgphillips3

That game is THE game this year.  Win it, a bowl is possible.  Lose it and the odds for a bowl grow long.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on August 31, 2014, 10:22:36 pm
I suspect TT is a good matchup for us.  Very winnable game.

Any team capable of completing a forward pass is a bad matchup for us. That said, were as bad a matchup for them as well.

mckinneyhog5

I'm going to the Texas Tech game and in the last 8 years we are 13-0 in games I attended.  No way we lose this one.  And for anyone asking I didn't attend any games last year.  The last game I attend that we lost was the SEC Championship game against Florida in 2006.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Wild Bill Hog

Did TT look that bad compared to how we looked?   Just asking.

bruisemeister

Texas Tech is the make or break game of the year. The Rutgers loss took away the team's confidence. They were in so much control in that game, the announcers were giving Rutgers the "attaboy" treatment much like they do when a team is obviously going to lose. Had the Hogs pulled that one out, I could see at least 6 wins last year.

With that said, don't be fooled by Texas Tech's close win over UCA. That happened to Ole Miss a couple of years ago and they still beat the Hogs and had a winning season. I predicted before the season, the Hogs could go 8-4(losses to Auburn, Bama, the Aggies and Mississippi State). I still think that if they get by Tech. It will be close like the Rutgers game but the Hogs will find a way to finish this time. If not, its another 3-9 or 4-8 season.