Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ben Herbert gone

Started by IronMountainHog, December 08, 2017, 01:47:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog911

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 08, 2017, 01:47:14 pm
Morris sent Body by Herb packing today. Good riddance I say. One of the biggest deficiencies of this team started with him.
I agree completely

redeye

Quote from: snoblind on December 08, 2017, 03:49:15 pm
Meh.  I've seen plenty of negative comments the past couple of years.  There are a couple of folks who always show up to remind us how many letters he has behind his name and how wrong everyone is.

Back when Herbert was hired, everyone thought he was amazing.  I can't even remember Petrino's S&C coach, but he was deemed terrible at the same time, although he also was amazing when he was hired.

Like I said, I don't know who's right or wrong, but just that this pattern repeats itself every time.  Our new S&C coach is always the greatest thing since sliced bread and the old one is always garbage.

hawgmasta

Quote from: redeye on December 08, 2017, 04:59:03 pm
Back when Herbert was hired, everyone thought he was amazing.  I can't even remember Petrino's S&C coach, but he was deemed terrible at the same time, although he also was amazing when he was hired.

Like I said, I don't know who's right or wrong, but just that this pattern repeats itself every time.  Our new S&C coach is always the greatest thing since sliced bread and the old one is always garbage.

He was loved when he first got here, and the first few years he was still mostly revered. I would say the last three and especially last two a lot on this board were questioning coach Herbert's regiments.

longtimeHogfan

Actually, when I think about it, the last 'Herb' I really liked was Herb Tarlek on WKRP. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgmasta on December 08, 2017, 02:04:01 pm
Herbert's career here was a strange one; he came in with a ton of accolades and his Wisconsin teams were pretty physical. Our guys had "transformations" but never seemed to be stronger and it was apparent at the combine.

I don't know if it could all be on Ben, whenever your squaring up against future 1st round D and O lineman in the SEC you can work out all day and still get pushed around.

Still. . . That was supposed to be a strength of his

He did a good job based on what the HC tasked him to do. You don't get your marching orders from your boss and then say, "I'll do this my own way". Good way to not have a job. The fact that they cut him loose isn't a slight of him, they are mostly cleaning house and Morris will bring in his own guy and there will be more emphasis on mobility, agility and being quicker and faster. They will re-design what they have and begin to recruit more people who can move.
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 08, 2017, 01:51:34 pm
It was impressive looking physiques, but no strength. Glad he's gone.

Exactly.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Calling All Hogs

I hear that before leaving today Herb signed a lot of the players foot casts which to me shows the guy is a class act!

98hogs

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 08, 2017, 02:45:57 pm
I heard that he broke his foot walking out of the office.

Ain't that the truth.

hoglady

Quote from: Seebs on December 08, 2017, 02:17:51 pm
DIng Dongs/King Dons, Suzy Q's, Cupcakes, Fruit Pies, Ho-Hos ... but no Snowballs and no twinkies.

Oh man - Snowballs, Twinkies and Cupcakes are the best.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Justagp

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 08, 2017, 05:42:08 pm
I hear that before leaving today Herb signed a lot of the players foot casts which to me shows the guy is a class act!
Love it!

d3maybe

Hog N Bama

Herbert's career here was a strange one; he came in with a ton of accolades and his Wisconsin teams were pretty physical. Our guys had "transformations" but never seemed to be stronger and it was apparent at the combine.

I don't know if it could all be on Ben, whenever your squaring up against future 1st round D and O lineman in the SEC you can work out all day and still get pushed around.

PBJ sandwiches will strip the energy from anybody, no matter how fit you are

Laughing Hog

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 08, 2017, 05:32:52 pm
Actually, when I think about it, the last 'Herb' I really liked was Herb Tarlek on WKRP. 

Herb Tarlek is from LR
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

21chill

Coach Herbs training techniques developed low gear power that didn't translate onto the field in the SEC

Dwight_K_Shrute

He just followed the example set by his boss. After the first couple of winning seasons thy  got fat raises and very complacent basically mailing it in the last two years. The team and the assistants mirrored their boss's personality and habits. It's not that complicated really. The head man sets the culture and most everyone follows that. It was all flip flops and reggae and we got the natural results of that
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Laughing Hog on December 08, 2017, 06:58:02 pm
Herb Tarlek is from LR

Frank (Boers) Bonner Malvern class of '60
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Hogman2

WE were weak in strength and he NEVER increased our speed !

redeye

Quote from: hawgmasta on December 08, 2017, 05:26:15 pm
He was loved when he first got here, and the first few years he was still mostly revered. I would say the last three and especially last two a lot on this board were questioning coach Herbert's regiments.

That may be the truth. I just remember his first year and I didn't come around here much for the past 2.  But I remember thinking the same thing with his predecessors and find it interesting how our opinions change about the S&C coach, of all people, depending on success on the field.

lamont7906

There is a difference between strenght and power, what our team lacked was power. Power has to do with strenght but speed and strenght together equates to power. I wasn't in the gym but from the outside looking in I believe he was in a way body building instead of working on things to improve on power which incorporates explosiveness. I seen the videos of the late night squats and so on but lifting heavy weights may make you strong but does nothing for building power. Hopefully the new coach knows the difference bewteen the two.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on December 08, 2017, 01:50:51 pm
Best news I've heard today.  Body by Herb was a scam like Bielema

Pretty much it in a nutshell.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 08, 2017, 01:48:34 pm
I can't name one team we pushed around, I can't name one team that didn't push us around.
Year 2 Texas Tech and Texas. That's it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 08, 2017, 05:32:52 pm

That's because he was a Hog!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hog N Bama

Watch out!! Karma is alive and well on this thread. I posted a comment on this thread about broken feet by Herb and 10 min later stumped and broke my little toe on the recliner leg.

nwahogfan1

In the spread and defending the spread its all about speed, agility and endurance. I think Morris knows that and will bring in his S & C staff to get it done. Speed kills.

Dark Helmet Hog

lol

PonderinHog

Tractor pull at a NASCAR race.

HoggyCat

Well......  Bye.

I may be wrong, but I blame his bulking these kids up to the amount of ankle injuries.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

tbhogfan

Well conditioned teams don't collapse repeatedly in the second half.  Strong teams impose their will on other teams.  When you are neither, it's time to fire your strength and conditioning coach.  CBB should have fired him after last year's season ending meltdowns.
Go Hogs!

Youngsta71701

Morris sent Body by Herb packing today. Good riddance I say. One of the biggest deficiencies of this team started with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVnlYPXCp9A
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ShadowHawg

Quote from: OnYourToes on December 08, 2017, 01:54:35 pm
He came in on fire, yelling, spitting, talking about a Deacon and eating right, encouraging the freaks to come out. . . .

But we never really saw the results on the field.  I do not believe there was any follow through, or excitement with each year; no progression in his work  outs, plans, diet approach, or excitement beyond the initial introduction.  I think he just expected the kids to take what he had to offer and let that be enough; he didn't adapt or continue his enthusiasm. 

All of these were marks of CBB and his tenure.

So happy to have new fire in this team, I hope they can carry the fire through year one and beyond.

Any thoughts on who will be the new S&C Coach?

Enthusiasm had nothing to do with a program that made players slower and less explosive a year after being in it.

hawgmasta

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 09, 2017, 07:15:11 am
Watch out!! Karma is alive and well on this thread. I posted a comment on this thread about broken feet by Herb and 10 min later stumped and broke my little toe on the recliner leg.

Hahaha now that's funny.

LumberBacks

Time to cash out on that Jif peanut butter stock.

JIHawg

Herbert’s career here was a strange one; he came in with a ton of accolades and his Wisconsin teams were pretty physical. Our guys had “transformations” but never seemed to be stronger and it was apparent at the combine.

I don’t know if it could all be on Ben, whenever your squaring up against future 1st round D and O lineman in the SEC you can work out all day and still get pushed around.

I agree with this.  Maybe some of the body builders on here can explain it.  I'd be interested in hearing some of your theories of why we never seemed very strong.

BoogaHog

Quote from: JIHawg on December 09, 2017, 04:54:17 pm
I agree with this.  Maybe some of the body builders on here can explain it.  I'd be interested in hearing some of your theories of why we never seemed very strong.

The bodybuilders ARE the problem.  They discount body weight conditioning and fitness levels all for the sake of power and strength when there should be equal if not more emphasis on SAQ, ENDURANCE, and Flexibility (repeated like injuries under a former regime).  Strength is fine but if you are unable to get to the proper position to proper position to use it, you fail.  Also if you are unable to rep it 25 to 50 times you get what we saw - zero endurance to sustain.

Gizmo

IronHog

Football is an explosive sport, not power lifting or body building

Current trends focus on lean body mass, explosive athleticism, and core stability

This staff seemed enamored with heavy squats
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawgmasta

Quote from: IronHog on December 09, 2017, 06:22:24 pm
Football is an explosive sport, not power lifting or body building
Current trends focus on lean body mass, explosive athleticism, and core stability

I think Iron got it right. Lots of trainers now focus on core, flexibility and speed exercises. Of course they still focus on upper body, legs etc. but just getting as big as possible isn't going to translate into athletic movements. As our new coach was saying, it doesn't matter how big you are if they're faster and you can't even touch them.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 09, 2017, 05:59:22 am
That's because he was a Hog!

Always had that Razorback coffee mug facing the camera on the set.

247Hog

Well done Sir.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Mjs84

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on December 08, 2017, 02:45:57 pm
I heard that he broke his foot walking out of the office.

#karma

The NewEra

It will be interesting to start tracking broken foot injuries now and see if they decrease.

The NewEra

Quote from: ipigsooie on December 08, 2017, 02:06:54 pm
Gotta keep someone with arkansas ties to recruiting. Lunney is a hell of a recruiter. He stays imo. Also saw that he and morris were recruiting together this week.

Lunney fit's Morris style IMO.  He's young, came up through the HS coaching ranks, father is a well regarded HS coach in the state.  Lunney knows all of the coaches in the state and has a great reputation.  Add to that he has a recent Mackey Award Winner to his credit who is showing off in the NFL. 

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Thank goodness. Maybe we can actually compete in the second half, and not embarrass ourselves at the NFL combine.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: Hog N Bama on December 08, 2017, 06:56:59 pm
PBJ sandwiches will strip the energy from anybody, no matter how fit you are

I always thought that was the most stupid thing ever. These are grown men with a mission to accomplish and instead of working on adjustments at the half we're going to stop to have pb&j snack time wif our wittle boys?