Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Get it out of your head and off your lips

Started by Porked Tongue, October 19, 2017, 01:17:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jkstock04

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 19, 2017, 03:02:07 pm
One thing seems clear.

When taking into account his full body of work as AD at Arkansas (finances, facilities, academics, success in various sports), the BOT chose not to fire Jeff Long. In fact, they chose to reward him.

I would wager that most Razorback fans who have a problem with Long feel that way because football is their first priority. It is not the first priority of our Chancellor, our UA President, or our BOT.

Have you ever considered that the people at UA who Jeff Long answers to share his philosophy of the proper role of intercollegiate athletics, and he theirs?
Yes, and it sucks if you are a football fan that wants to see us compete in the SEC.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Sundog

Long will not be fired now nor even in the foreseeable future.  Bert will coach in 2018 with an improved record which will be used to justify his continuance.

DoctorSusscrofa

Even Long knows by now that we need to win more 6-7 per year on average to achieve more sellouts and sell more souvenirs and concessions. Even he knows losing to two teams every single year won't keep people happy for long or for Long. He may or may not fire B.B. this year. But I do believe he'll finally require an 8 win season next year. No 8 win season then and B.B. will finally be gone.  I'm fully in the fire B.B. Camp now. Ready for him to go. But at the same time I can't fully root for losses even if losses help get him out.  If he starts winning, I'll tolerate him. But I can never truly be a supporter of his again because he should have had a far better OL and Defense by now.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

factchecker

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on October 19, 2017, 02:53:37 pm
UNTIL he gets rid of the Pepsi nonsense.

Not Long's call.  That was/is a university decision.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

rhames

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:04:06 pm
The best thing to do for everyone concerned is to see what happens and hope for the best. Many teams have shot themselves in the foot with impatience. Gary Pinkel mentioned Missouri yesterday at the NWA Touchdown Club. Tennessee is an obvious example, and they're about to do it again with Butch Jones. Florida can't wait after Spurrier.

Arkansas has not played as poorly as everyone here thinks. They've lost to 4 good football teams and could have won 3. The scores in SC and TCU weren't indicative of the games.

Giving Bret Bielema the final year on his contract makes sense for a lot of reasons short and long term. Few here like to admit that right now, but if we win 4 of 6 it will be their idea.

1.  Next year isn't the final year in the contract.

2.  SC is average. A&M is good (better than when we played them but that is moot), and TCU is too. Out of those 3 games the only one any body can argue should have been a win is A&M. TCU let us hang around for 3 and a half quarters and we could not capitalize on their mistakes. Good teams do.

And how can anyone say we were in the game with SC? For a half. Then we quit. That was a bad loss. SC played like they wanted to win. Arkansas didn't.

We have seen Bret's M.O at Arkansas.  Start off slow and get better as the year goes on and find a way to win 6 or 7 regular season wins. This year, year 5, will be tough to get there.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Porked Tongue

Kinda mixed signals on  BBs future here.  Shortest version is the season has to play out.  A contingency plan is in place for every scenario. Almost win out and conversation is different than winning just 2 more games.  I said before and will repeat BB is just as likely to leave on his own merit if things are bleak.  Point of this thread is to basically realize that Long leaving conversations are futile.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 01:46:32 pm

boo hiss  We are doomed to be Vandy West!

Careful, we have to play them next year.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Athog

Dwight_K_Shrute

October 19, 2017, 03:29:22 pm #58 Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 03:39:54 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute
The only problem I've ever had with JL is the buyout.  Now that the myth of the $15.4 mil has been exposed he good.

For the most part he has made good hires in other sports (except for JD).  JD only got 3 years and JL pulled the plug and to fix it he went out and got Mike Neighbors to come home.  This may have been MN's dream job, but he left a much better program in Washington.  Long also had to persuade the PTB to pony up the money to pay Neighbors what it took to get him from UW.  That's a tall order considering the revenue WBB brings in.

Long will get his extension then be tasked with making whatever changes necessary to right the FB ship.  Whatever you as a fan may think of Long, coaches hold him in high regard.  He doesn't meddle.  He gives his coaches every opportunity to succeed and provides them the support and resources to be successful. 

Long knows the renovations and the product that goes along with it will be his legacy and I'm sure he does not want to fail or put the U behind the 8 ball with empty seats and debt payments.

Wrapping JL up long term actually makes it easier to make a change in FB.  1.  It's much more difficult to look for a coach and an AD.  2. Coaches like stability and like to know who they will be working for, and like to know that AD will be there and have the support of the University and therefore will support his hire.

So yeah to OPs point let's not waste our time B'ing about Long or clamoring for them to make a change at AD.  Save the energy for creating endless new coach lists and polls and putting those together for Jeff.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

factchecker

Quote from: Athog on October 19, 2017, 03:24:04 pm
No Vandy has better fans!! LOL

I don't know.

Have you heard the Vandy whistler? He ruins baseball games.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

jst01

Quote from: Porked Tongue on October 19, 2017, 03:20:46 pm
Kinda mixed signals on  BBs future here.  Shortest version is the season has to play out.  A contingency plan is in place for every scenario. Almost win out and conversation is different than winning just 2 more games.  I said before and will repeat BB is just as likely to leave on his own merit if things are bleak.  Point of this thread is to basically realize that Long leaving conversations are futile.

well good, b/c I have all the faith in the world this team wont win more than 3 remaining games.

East Clintwood

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:38:19 pm
.  .  .   And maybe things will be better than most think.

And maybe the Easter Bunny will come early next year!

About an equal chance of either happening.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Atlhogfan1

Have you ever considered that the people at UA who Jeff Long answers to share his philosophy of the proper role of intercollegiate athletics, and he theirs?

No they haven't. 

Football is important.  It is a big branding opportunity for a university.  It keeps alumni involved including financially.  Can't disregard the importance of having success in it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: rhames on October 19, 2017, 03:20:02 pm

1.  Next year isn't the final year in the contract.

2.  SC is average. A&M is good (better than when we played them but that is moot), and TCU is too. Out of those 3 games the only one any body can argue should have been a win is A&M. TCU let us hang around for 3 and a half quarters and we could not capitalize on their mistakes. Good teams do.

And how can anyone say we were in the game with SC? For a half. Then we quit. That was a bad loss. SC played like they wanted to win. Arkansas didn't.

We have seen Bret's M.O at Arkansas.  Start off slow and get better as the year goes on and find a way to win 6 or 7 regular season wins. This year, year 5, will be tough to get there.

It's the final year of the original contract.

That average South Carolina team handed the 16th ranked team in the country it's only loss.  We didn't give up in the second half until the game was put well out of reach by defensive points that should have never happened. People around here don't like to find any fault with the Allens, but AA changed that game in a few minutes with bad decisions. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ricepig

Quote from: PharmacistHog on October 19, 2017, 01:54:38 pm
We'll never be vandy west. Their fans are literate.

We have a couple that can pass as literate, does that count?

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 04:00:58 pm

That average South Carolina team handed the 16th ranked team in the country it's only loss.  We didn't give up in the second half until the game was put well out of reach by defensive points that should have never happened. People around here don't like to find any fault with the Allens, but AA changed that game in a few minutes with bad decisions. 

After what I saw Kelley do last week against Bama, I'm thoroughly convinced that the Hogs would have beaten South Carolina if he had been playing QB.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on October 19, 2017, 03:13:44 pm

Well........Long should hold out on signing his new contract until the school buys out the Pepsi contract!!!

Al Boarland

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 04:20:01 pm
After what I saw Kelley do last week against Bama, I'm thoroughly convinced that the Hogs would have beaten South Carolina if he had been playing QB.

What did he do besides play hard?

bphi11ips

Quote from: jst01 on October 19, 2017, 02:50:12 pm
Five years. Good grief you are laying it on thick lately.

Here's what Clay Henry wrote about Gary Pinkel's appearance yesterday at the NWA Touchdown Club:

Pinkel recalls the tough times in the first four years at Missouri.

"It was really tough," he said. "We had to change the culture. I can remember the first winter conditioning practice that first year. Every one of my coaches was back in the locker room with his head in his hands.

"I looked at them and said, 'Did you think we came here because things were great?' The reason why they have been losing is that they bring in a new coach every four years."

Maybe six years is too long, but every case is different.  One can certainly argue that CBB dealt with extenuating circumstances his first couple of years.

Pinkel also said this:

"You look at what we did over time at Missouri, we had good quarterbacks - Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert," he said. "You have to have good quarterbacks and you have to keep them healthy. That can be luck in some degree.

"Coaches get their quarterbacks hurt and they may end up getting fired. That's tough, but it's what happens. The Packers just lost Aaron Rodgers and that will be tough to overcome."

Bret Bielema has had about 2 total years of good QB play.  Brandon Allen was great his senior year and AA was very good the first half of 2016.

I've been posting on Hogville a long time.  Originally I came with the wave of fans disgusted with Houston Nutt and the Mustain situation.  I was all for launching Nutt like a SCUD missile and that had nothing to do with wins and losses.  In this case, I said six months ago this season could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3.  Calling for the head coach's head right now doesn't make any sense to me under all of the circumstances. 

That is all.   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 04:24:58 pm
Here's what Clay Henry wrote about Gary Pinkel's appearance yesterday at the NWA Touchdown Club:

Pinkel recalls the tough times in the first four years at Missouri.

"It was really tough," he said. "We had to change the culture. I can remember the first winter conditioning practice that first year. Every one of my coaches was back in the locker room with his head in his hands.

"I looked at them and said, 'Did you think we came here because things were great?' The reason why they have been losing is that they bring in a new coach every four years."

Maybe six years is too long, but every case is different.  One can certainly argue that CBB dealt with extenuating circumstances his first couple of years.

Pinkel also said this:

"You look at what we did over time at Missouri, we had good quarterbacks - Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert," he said. "You have to have good quarterbacks and you have to keep them healthy. That can be luck in some degree.

"Coaches get their quarterbacks hurt and they may end up getting fired. That's tough, but it's what happens. The Packers just lost Aaron Rodgers and that will be tough to overcome."

Bret Bielema has had about 2 total years of good QB play.  Brandon Allen was great his senior year and AA was very good the first half of 2016.

I've been posting on Hogville a long time.  Originally I came with the wave of fans disgusted with Houston Nutt and the Mustain situation.  I was all for launching Nutt like a SCUD missile and that had nothing to do with wins and losses.  In this case, I said six months ago this season could go anywhere from 3-9 to 9-3.  Calling for the head coach's head right now doesn't make any sense to me under all of the circumstances. 

That is all.

We really didn't see good BA emerge till the OT win vs AU.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: GuvHog on October 19, 2017, 04:20:01 pm

I wouldn't go that far but am hoping for the best with CK.  He has a long way to go but has a lot of potential.  The worst thing that can happen to him now is for fans to have unrealistic expectations and then trash him the first time he has a bad game. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on October 19, 2017, 03:00:37 pm
I know we don’t recruit well enough for the program to turn around.

If that is the case why not give up now?  CBB has recruited as well as anyone at Arkansas if you believe recruiting rankings.  Much better than he did at Wisconsin.  He is in a different league in the SEC West. 

I wasn't in favor of the north end zone expansion when it came to the number of additional seats when considering the cost.  On the other hand, we needed the curb appeal, but most of all, we need the player and coaches facilities in order to compete for top athletes and coaches.  I think recruiting will improve when players can actually see the new facilities.   

rhames

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 04:00:58 pm

NC state out played south Carolina. It was similar to our game with Toledo. SC made some special team plays. I would venture to say that game would have a different outcome if played today . SC also had their starting oline intact and their star WR for that game, they did not for ours.

AA made bad decisions. He is part of the team. The offense showed no fight or anything until Kelley came in

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

greenie

For me, the "fire Long" talk is ridiculous.

I'm also of the opinion that, for the next couple of years, we'll take a bigger risk with our football program if we fire Bielema now and roll the dice with another recovery effort.  I keep reading that part of the problem is that he just won't change, when from my perspective he's tried to adapt in numerous ways.  I don't buy into that he's just too dumb to do it, or that he's not working hard at it.  There was an interesting thread a few weeks ago, here on MMQB, on program stability.  I think, for a program like Arkansas, stability has to be a significant part of the decision matrix.

BoogaHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 19, 2017, 02:15:42 pm
Hey, I ain't illiterate!  My parents were married 74 years!   >:(

I get much more enjoyment out of this board than watching my hogs win or horns lose.  I'm having to wipe away tears right now.  LMAO CLASSIC! ;D

BoogaHog

Quote from: ricepig on October 19, 2017, 04:20:12 pm
Well........Long should hold out on signing his new contract until the school buys out the Pepsi contract!!!

I moved from Houston to Cleveland in grade school and noticed this.  Why do yankees, and I'm kinda one, (love Coke) prefer Pepsi over Coke?  Just don't get it..

Oliver

If Jeff Long stays...strike that...if Jeff Long has any involvement in the next coaching search, just keep Bielema.  It'll only get worse from there

FWF79

Most every fan I know expects CBB to be gone. 

BroyledNutts

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 02:38:19 pm
You really don't know that.  And you're one of the smarter guys here.  You know that TCU, A&M and SC all could have gone the other way.  You know the loss of Rawleigh Williams, Ryan Pulley and Jared Cornelius had a huge impact on this team.  You know that Cole Kelley has a chance to be a difference maker, this year and next.  You know the Hogs have a good shot at winning 4 of the last 6 and a bowl game..

There are some kernels of truth there, but unless there's an epiphany by the offensive line and they begin to block effectively those players being on the field would've had little effect, and those 4 of 6 wins will not come to fruition. No effective offensive line - no effective offense - no wins.

ricepig

Quote from: BJJHog on October 19, 2017, 04:54:23 pm
I moved from Houston to Cleveland in grade school and noticed this.  Why do yankees, and I'm kinda one, (love Coke) prefer Pepsi over Coke?  Just don't get it..

Well, lots of high school fields have Pepsi on their scoreboard, and in their concession stands, it's a bidding thing.....

Cinco de Hogo

If Long doesn't go first I don't care whether they fire BB or not.  Without an emphasis on winning it makes it that much more difficult to get a great coach.  I don't want to waste the opportunity and spoil another coaches future.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: factchecker on October 19, 2017, 03:13:44 pm

The Coke regional manager failed to get the contract to the University.  He lost a couple of other contracts.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

GuvHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2017, 04:27:57 pm
I wouldn't go that far but am hoping for the best with CK.  He has a long way to go but has a lot of potential.  The worst thing that can happen to him now is for fans to have unrealistic expectations and then trash him the first time he has a bad game. 

Well I would go that far. The difference in the offense with Kelley at QB is like night and day from what it was before. Kelley reminds me of Mallett with more mobility.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 19, 2017, 05:09:18 pm
If Long doesn't go first I don't care whether they fire BB or not.  Without an emphasis on winning it makes it that much more difficult to get a great coach.  I don't want to waste the opportunity and spoil another coaches future.

Long is not going first, or any time soon. I'm not sure how you define "emphasis on winning," but I have a pretty good feeling that what you want is never going to happen.

elviscat

You judge a tree by it's fruits that it produces and the same should be said of an athletic program. JL, has failed at hiring football coaches time and time again. Who is judging him and holding him accountable for his terrible hires. No one. If he is rehired and given a bonus that is a insult to the fans of the great program. This guy in totally incompetent and has don't nothing for the program. To continue this failed policy in an exercise in futility.

WilsonHog

Quote from: elviscat on October 19, 2017, 05:34:46 pm
You judge a tree by it's fruits that it produces and the same should be said of an athletic program. JL, has failed at hiring football coaches time and time again. Who is judging him and holding him accountable for his terrible hires. No one. If he is rehired and given a bonus that is a insult to the fans of the great program. This guy in totally incompetent and has don't nothing for the program. To continue this failed policy in an exercise in futility.

Suppose how our football program has done is a part of Long's evaluation.

15%?

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2017, 01:46:32 pm

boo hiss  We are doomed to be Vandy West!
According to collegefactual.com, A Vanderbilt graduate averages $45,000/year (https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/vanderbilt-university/outcomes/return-on-investment/) starting salary.  A UofA graduate averages $38,000/year starting salary (https://www.collegefactual.com/colleges/university-of-arkansas/outcomes/return-on-investment/).

According to payscale.com A Commodore alum earns $61,100 in early career salary, and $116,000 mid-career (https://www.payscale.com/research/US/School=Vanderbilt_University/Salary).  A Razorback grad makes $49,100 early career, and $92,300 mid-career (https://www.payscale.com/research/US/School=University_of_Arkansas_-_Main_Campus/Salary).

So answer honestly, would you rather have

A) a 22% raise (the average difference between a UofA grad and Vandy grad of the three salary examples cited) and a cheer for a football team that averages 6 wins and 6 losses (Vandy's average win/loss ratio over the past 5 full seasons) while going to a bowl game 3/5 years?

or

B) your current salary and root for a football team that averages 9 wins a season (what I think is Arkansas's best case capabilities in the SEC)?

Now, tell me how bad it is to be a Vandy grad.

-phil

rhames

I feel like we say this at least 3 times a season.......but ole miss will be Bret's biggest game here.  It is a MUST win for any kind of scenario in which we win 6 games in my opinion.

hamARchy in the USA

The arrival of Jeff Long at Arkansas appears to have been the arrival of the Grim Reaper.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 19, 2017, 05:33:54 pm
Long is not going first, or any time soon. I'm not sure how you define "emphasis on winning," but I have a pretty good feeling that what you want is never going to happen.

That's what I'm afraid of, oh well 6-6 eternally.

HoggyCat

Quote from: greenie on October 19, 2017, 01:34:13 pm
Agreed.  Barring a scandal, Long will not be forced to leave anytime soon.
BB's seat is warming up, but not hot.  I think it could get hot over the next 4-5 weeks, however.  Regardless, I don't think Long is even starting to look at options yet, despite all the rancor on Hogville and threats to secede from the Union.

Anything is possible, but I just don't see change coming...yet.

Long has plenty of scandals. But people don't want the truth because they don't wa t their illusions destroyed.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 19, 2017, 01:27:01 pm
Never understood the animosity toward him any way!  So what, he made a bad coaching hire.  At the time, it was a safe hire.  Hiring coaches is a 50/50 business!  If it wasn't, there would be 128 NCs!

No, he made three terrible hires:

Jim Grobe
John L. Smith
Bret Bielema

I wouldn't trust him to hire a carpet cleaning service, much less another SEC head football coach.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 19, 2017, 03:29:22 pm
The only problem I've ever had with JL is the buyout.  Now that the myth of the $15.4 mil has been exposed he good.

For the most part he has made good hires in other sports (except for JD).  JD only got 3 years and JL pulled the plug and to fix it he went out and got Mike Neighbors to come home.  This may have been MN's dream job, but he left a much better program in Washington.  Long also had to persuade the PTB to pony up the money to pay Neighbors what it took to get him from UW.  That's a tall order considering the revenue WBB brings in.

Long will get his extension then be tasked with making whatever changes necessary to right the FB ship.  Whatever you as a fan may think of Long, coaches hold him in high regard.  He doesn't meddle.  He gives his coaches every opportunity to succeed and provides them the support and resources to be successful. 

Long knows the renovations and the product that goes along with it will be his legacy and I'm sure he does not want to fail or put the U behind the 8 ball with empty seats and debt payments.

Wrapping JL up long term actually makes it easier to make a change in FB.  1.  It's much more difficult to look for a coach and an AD.  2. Coaches like stability and like to know who they will be working for, and like to know that AD will be there and have the support of the University and therefore will support his hire.

So yeah to OPs point let's not waste our time B'ing about Long or clamoring for them to make a change at AD.  Save the energy for creating endless new coach lists and polls and putting those together for Jeff.

How do you know it's harder to go after a head coach and an A.D. simultaneously?

Vantage 8 dude

One thing seems clear.

When taking into account his full body of work as AD at Arkansas (finances, facilities, academics, success in various sports), the BOT chose not to fire Jeff Long. In fact, they chose to reward him.

I would wager that most Razorback fans who have a problem with Long feel that way because football is their first priority. It is not the first priority of our Chancellor, our UA President, or our BOT.

Kudos to Oklahawg for giving me another perspective to think about.
Wilson, let me first of all say that there are some very relevant points you've brought. As an alum of the Hill I will say that generally speaking I've been pleased that for the most part (ummm let's skip on over the Belk Bowl) our kids have stayed off police blotters, gone to class, maintained their grades and graduated. For that I do give CBB and Long kudos for a job well done. I also realize that the BOT, Chancellor, President and others review a number of issues when evaluating the AD and to some degree the performance of the various coaches (although I suspect rarely get directly involved in that area).

Having said all that, I have one question/proposal. IF the "powers that be" who do their evaluations, hirings and firings, granting raises and so forth don't particularly care whether or not our football program is successful on the field then way, pray tell, do we bother to pay a HC, and I mean ANY HC, the $3-4 million salary that we do? Why do we pay the staff the monies they're receiving. Let's face one cold, hard fact: 1/2 through Bret's FIFTH season we are REGRESSING i.e.. weren't not even standing still. We're rapidly becoming a punch line and after thought when it comes to not only the SEC, but on the national stage. Perhaps the BOT and all the other "big guns" don't particularly care. After all, if the wins/loses aren't going to be an apparent measuring stick or some other type of employment determinate why not just go ahead and hire another HC who can (hopefully) duplicate the off the field accomplishments, and my guess is there are some out there, but at the same time do so with a salary far less than what we're paying out now ???

Think of it this way: if we can save a million (or more) in salary and compensation we might actually be able to take those funds and hire more professors, fund more scholarships, lower tuition, improve buildings, etc. I'm sure there is no end to the potential uses of the savings. After all, winning ain't easy-especially if you're being paid $3-4 million a year. Now THAT's some major pressure! So to all those administrators who run the U of A (F) system I say "don't worry about what the fans/supporters of the state's flagship university have to say, how they feel". You'll likely never need to rub elbows, or otherwise associate with the "unwashed masses" anyway. And this makes your decisions coming from the (in)famous IVORY TOWER on the Hill that much easier. Besides, it's only money- a million here, a million there-and it's not even yours at that.

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 19, 2017, 06:40:05 pm
Wilson, let me first of all say that there are some very relevant points you've brought. As an alum of the Hill I will say that generally speaking I've been pleased that for the most part (ummm let's skip on over the Belk Bowl) our kids have stayed off police blotters, gone to class, maintained their grades and graduated. For that I do give CBB and Long kudos for a job well done. I also realize that the BOT, Chancellor, President and others review a number of issues when evaluating the AD and to some degree the performance of the various coaches (although I suspect rarely get directly involved in that area).

Having said all that, I have one question/proposal. IF the "powers that be" who do their evaluations, hirings and firings, granting raises and so forth don't particularly care whether or not our football program is successful on the field then way, pray tell, do we bother to pay a HC, and I mean ANY HC, the $3-4 million salary that we do? Why do we pay the staff the monies they're receiving. Let's face one cold, hard fact: 1/2 through Bret's FIFTH season we are REGRESSING i.e.. weren't not even standing still. We're rapidly becoming a punch line and after thought when it comes to not only the SEC, but on the national stage. Perhaps the BOT and all the other "big guns" don't particularly care. After all, if the wins/loses aren't going to be an apparent measuring stick or some other type of employment determinate why not just go ahead and hire another HC who can (hopefully) duplicate the off the field accomplishments, and my guess is there are some out there, but at the same time do so with a salary far less than what we're paying out now ???

Think of it this way: if we can save a million (or more) in salary and compensation we might actually be able to take those funds and hire more professors, fund more scholarships, lower tuition, improve buildings, etc. I'm sure there is no end to the potential uses of the savings. After all, winning ain't easy-especially if you're being paid $3-4 million a year. Now THAT's some major pressure! So to all those administrators who run the U of A (F) system I say "don't worry about what the fans/supporters of the state's flagship university have to say, how they feel". You'll likely never need to rub elbows, or otherwise associate with the "unwashed masses" anyway. And this makes your decisions coming from the (in)famous IVORY TOWER on the Hill that much easier. Besides, it's only money- a million here, a million there-and it's not even yours at that.
Just because someone, or someone's, don't have the same time table as others, doesn't mean they don't care about winning.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: ricepig on October 19, 2017, 06:51:17 pm
Just because someone, or someone's, don't have the same time table as others, doesn't mean they don't care about winning.
Well then why bother to pay the HC what you're paying him? WHEN do you begin holding someone accountable IF as you propose they actually care about winning. Does it start the sixth, seventh, eighth....tenth year? Come on, you fully understand what I'm saying. And how about the REGRESSION, as in going backwards in our performance last year and  thus far this year. Or do you, the BOT (or whomever) prefer instead to express it another way-progress in reverse? Nice. ;)

hassettsportsman

Those are excellent debate points.  I think it becomes somewhat simplistic...ie...there's some sort of equation in the heads of the PTB...that balances empty seats with change.  Whether it's a whim or calculated...they will pull the trigger at some point. 

factchecker

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on October 19, 2017, 06:00:47 pm
So answer honestly, would you rather have

A) a 22% raise (the average difference between a UofA grad and Vandy grad of the three salary examples cited) and a cheer for a football team that averages 6 wins and 6 losses (Vandy's average win/loss ratio over the past 5 full seasons) while going to a bowl game 3/5 years?

or

B) your current salary and root for a football team that averages 9 wins a season (what I think is Arkansas's best case capabilities in the SEC)?

Now, tell me how bad it is to be a Vandy grad?

-phil

There is a big problem with your question.  The majority of our fans are non-alumni.

Sadly, outside a few alumni, very few Razorback fans don't give a darn about the academic side of The University of Arkansas.  Heck, the majority of Arkansans place very little value on academics.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Tusks

Quote from: factchecker on October 19, 2017, 07:10:54 pm
There is a big problem with your question.  The majority of our fans are non-alumni.

Sadly, outside a few alumni, very few Razorback fans don't give a darn about the academic side of The University of Arkansas.  Heck, the majority of Arkansans place very little value on academics.

condescend much?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 19, 2017, 07:01:36 pm
Well then why bother to pay the HC what you're paying him? WHEN do you begin holding someone accountable IF as you propose they actually care about winning. Does it start the sixth, seventh, eighth....tenth year? Come on, you fully understand what I'm saying. And how about the REGRESSION, as in going backwards in our performance last year and  thus far this year. Or do you, the BOT (or whomever) prefer instead to express it another way-progress in reverse? Nice. ;)

They care about winning, and if it goes completely south the rest of this season, then a change will be made. The HC is paid a competitive salary for our conference, y'all act like it's something astronomical, lol. Guess what, the next coach will get real close to it, and he won't be bringing 3 conference championships. It's just the price of doing business. You seem to fathom yourself as some kind of business person, how many times has a company shed it's CEO after a couple of bad quarters, when the proceeding quarters were trending in the right direction? The board will make their move at their pace, they will wait until the earnings report at the end of November.