Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FINISH

Started by twistitup, August 17, 2017, 11:38:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Quote from: twistitup on August 17, 2017, 11:38:56 am
Should this not be the total focus this year.

Finish the block, Finish the tackle, Finish the play, Finish the half, Finish games, Finish the season, Finish winning the SEC (CBB promise)

Finish

Could be wrong, but wasn't there some kind of extra 4th quarter mantra in camp before last season?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 19, 2017, 01:22:51 pm
Could be wrong, but wasn't there some kind of extra 4th quarter mantra in camp before last season?

Ever see teams raise their arm's with four fingers showing at the start of every 4th quarter? It happens a lot. Yes, it is a mantra of many, if not all teams. It is a conditioned response from the coaching staff.

It is a different thought process that takes over when the majority of a returning team knows that they have robbed themselves of victories in the past due to a failure of conviction and extended effort in the face of adversity.

What this team feels is not be confused with the ordinary and usual show of "four fingers" signifying "4th quarter" as many teams do.

I doubt seriously that we see this team "mail it in" during the second half this year on either side of the ball.
Go Hogs Go!

Arazorbackguy1

Finnish the Finisher
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

wildhogman

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 19, 2017, 10:44:35 am
Ok. And no one cares about what he does at Louisville. What he did at Arkansas was a different story.  I don't care that he loses to teams as the head coach of Louisville.  I do care that Arkansas continues to lose games when leading at halftime by a large number.  We have done that almost every year CBB has been here.
as I said. go read responses to some of my previous post about the man. I would say your very wrong about "no one" caring. There are several. Sad part is they probably secretly hope the man makes the playoffs and CBB continues to struggle so they can toot their horns and say I told ya so. 
As much as I want the hogs to win because I am a fan of the razorbacks. I want it almost as much because it would shut a few up.

Headhog32

Quote from: wildhogman on August 19, 2017, 11:58:04 pm
as I said. go read responses to some of my previous post about the man. I would say your very wrong about "no one" caring. There are several. Sad part is they probably secretly hope the man makes the playoffs and CBB continues to struggle so they can toot their horns and say I told ya so. 
As much as I want the hogs to win because I am a fan of the razorbacks. I want it almost as much because it would shut a few up.
its a pride thing. so many people are pissed off that we fired BP I was dissapointed, I wasn't  pissed at JL because he did what he had too. but BP was a HERO for hog fans. for the first time In how long we was ranked #3 in the nation (yes I know it didn't last long. but to go 8-5 10-3 11-2.. the guy was great here and no-one wanted to see him leave

Hoggle

Dont under estimate the importance of coaching leadership. Nolan was a mean, tough SOB who wanted to win worse than the other guy... and he did. I watched many of his practices and he was rough on those guys. Petrino was the same way.  Remember when Saban left Mich St for LSU and not a single assistant went with him. Called him Nick "Satan". He was tough. Those coaches have something different.... a different level of intensity and fight... and their teams reflect that. It's the exception, not the rule. Guys like Petrino don't have teams with patterns of folding and then have to make promises of "new drills" and "focus on finishing". That's a bunch of garbage. It's excuses. You either have it or you don't. Most don't.  I sure wouldn't expect one of Bielema's  teams, or any coach's, to suddenly take on a new personality in season 5.

Mike_e

Quote from: Hoggle on August 20, 2017, 12:33:39 am
Dont under estimate the importance of coaching leadership. Nolan was a mean, tough SOB who wanted to win worse than the other guy... and he did. I watched many of his practices and he was rough on those guys. Petrino was the same way.  Remember when Saban left Mich St for LSU and not a single assistant went with him. Called him Nick "Satan". He was tough. Those coaches have something different.... a different level of intensity and fight... and their teams reflect that. It's the exception, not the rule. Guys like Petrino don't have teams with patterns of folding and then have to make promises of "new drills" and "focus on finishing". That's a bunch of garbage. It's excuses. You either have it or you don't. Most don't.  I sure wouldn't expect one of Bielema's  teams, or any coach's, to suddenly take on a new personality in season 5.

You are right in that groups of people tend to take on the personality of their leadership.  It is part and parcel of human nature that joining a group means that you internalize some of whatever you believe that group to be about.

I disagree that people's personalities can't grow (which most call change).  The older we get the harder it is I'll grant you.   

Newton's laws of motion have a correlation to human behavior:   

1.  People who have chosen to not do certain things will tend to continue to not do
       those types of things.

2.  People who have chosen to Do certain things will continue to choose them.

3.  Every experience in a person's life will modify their behavior.  Either to confirm
       their choices or to cause them to choose or at least consider taking a different
       path.

One of the great modifiers in life is fear.  One of the greatest fears, for a caring person at least, comes from having their first child.  Whether or not this will goad CBB into concentrating on the endgames in life has yet to be determined.

But there is hope.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

southeasthog

Quote from: Surfing8 on August 20, 2017, 12:44:45 am
You're gonna offend the snowflakes on here with this kind of talk. 

And give the rest of them a woody for talking about their hero.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 17, 2017, 12:14:30 pm
If we should happen to lose to Florida A&M, some fans will likely be finished with immediate future optimism.

If we should happen to lose to Florida A&M, TCU and Texas A&M, some fans will undoubtedly be finished for the season.

If we should happen to lose more games than we win this year, Bielema might very well be finished at Arkansas.

I'm finished now.
lmao... you were finished before you started

wildhogman

Your right about Nolan and Saban. And the results are championships. Conference and national.
One of those three is not like the other two. That one has No national championship. No SEC championship. No SEC west division championship. If he had the focus, dedication to craft, intestinal fortitude that the other two had/have. He might have a ring or two. Instead his legacy will forever be, "harleygate/blonde on a bike/also ran/ almost/maybe next year/ if we only had a defense that could get a stop when it mattered most. The fact his team melted away the last 3 games last year makes ya wonder if there inst another "distraction", and if he wil ever figure out what Nolan and Saban already know.

As to the topic, I hope our leaders rise, coaches and players. Refusing to let this team lose games they should win and winning games that were toss ups from sure force of will. Refusing to lose them. What do I have backing this up? Hope and faith. Hope that our turn is coming fast. Faith in the young men that choose to play for the Hogs. Hope and faith can take a team a long way.

a0ashle

All of sudden we forget that CBP underperformed against the top and bottom ranks and shined against mediocre?

We forget the games we battle through under CBB? Y'all really love oversimplifying things to the point that you have the answers lol

Hoggle

Quote from: a0ashle on August 20, 2017, 07:51:55 am
All of sudden we forget that CBP underperformed against the top and bottom ranks and shined against mediocre?

We forget the games we battle through under CBB? Y'all really love oversimplifying things to the point that you have the answers lol

Lol. Tell me all about it next time we are ranked #3 in the nation and genuinely in nat'l championship talk, finish top 5 and top 10 in consecutive years, are preseason top 10, win 10 games, win 11 games, go to a bcs game, etc.  (in only 4 years). But, but... Petrino "under preformed against the top and bottom ranks..." Lol. Talk about grasping for ANY lie to try to make yourself feel better. And you say we are "forgetting" BBs battles.  Maybe you were just trying to be... ironic?!

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggle on August 20, 2017, 09:42:11 am
Lol. Tell me all about it next time we are ranked #3 in the nation and genuinely in nat'l championship talk, finish top 5 and top 10 in consecutive years, are preseason top 10, win 10 games, win 11 games, go to a bcs game, etc.  (in only 4 years). But, but... Petrino "under preformed against the top and bottom ranks..." Lol. Talk about grasping for ANY lie to try to make yourself feel better. And you say we are "forgetting" BBs battles.  Maybe you were just trying to be... ironic?!

We were preseason #17 in 2010, and #15 in 2011. I guess you are referring to that JL Smith led #10 rankings?

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 19, 2017, 07:20:32 pm
Ever see teams raise their arm's with four fingers showing at the start of every 4th quarter? It happens a lot. Yes, it is a mantra of many, if not all teams. It is a conditioned response from the coaching staff.

It is a different thought process that takes over when the majority of a returning team knows that they have robbed themselves of victories in the past due to a failure of conviction and extended effort in the face of adversity.

What this team feels is not be confused with the ordinary and usual show of "four fingers" signifying "4th quarter" as many teams do.

I doubt seriously that we see this team "mail it in" during the second half this year on either side of the ball.

No, I'm talking about CBB specifically calling out that there would be an emphasis on the 4th quarter. They had a special 4th quarter period or something like that. Could be wrong.

I can't believe you even thought you had to explain what holding up four fingers is. You should know by no I have a good grasp on this game.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 10:11:52 am
No, I'm talking about CBB specifically calling out that there would be an emphasis on the 4th quarter. They had a special 4th quarter period or something like that. Could be wrong.

I can't believe you even thought you had to explain what holding up four fingers is. You should know by no I have a good grasp on this game.

Well he should have a large deal on the 4th quarter since we have blown so many of them. I really hope he does a lot better this year in the 4th quarter.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Al Boarland

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 20, 2017, 10:15:58 am
Well he should have a large deal on the 4th quarter since we have blown so many of them. I really hope he does a lot better this year in the 4th quarter.

My point was there was an emphasis before last season. I guess we're really really trying harder this season.

Hope it works.

LZH

oldhawg

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 10:23:35 am
My point was there was an emphasis before last season. I guess we're really really trying harder this season.

Hope it works.

Got to have some public emphasis somehow to try to placate restless fans.  Can't just say, "We are going to continue doing what we did last year and hope for the best."

snoblind

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on August 20, 2017, 10:11:52 am

I wasn't meaning to indicate that you didn't. My point was that for these kids, after the way that some games went last season, there is extra meaning in that simple act this year.
Go Hogs Go!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 11:43:00 am
Danish.

I dated an extremely blonde Finnish chick in my younger days. Two hottest women I've ever seen was a tie between a Finnish chick and a Lebanese chick. Split ends of the spectrum but both awesome.
This is my non-signature signature.

Hogwild

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on August 17, 2017, 12:15:54 pm
Finish is what the players have focused on from the time the bowl game ended. Not game plan, not strategy.  Just finish.  The coaches and the game plan mean nothing when it comes to finishing.  No coach was on the field for a single second half snap against Missouri or VT.  The coaches coached.  The players caved.  It's all on the players.  They are fully aware those failures were theirs.  Like I tell my son.  This team has a lot to prove.  No one, not coaches, fans, or player parents will believe that they can complete the task until they go out and do it.  It's their job to prove us wrong. That's the burden and the chip on their shoulder the players have carried for 8 months.

Bull, our 2nd half collapses aren't just on the players, whether adjustments weren't being made or the wrong play calling, it is on the coaches just as much as the players. 
It wasn't just the final two games.  Look at our last 6 games against P5 schools (Auburn, LSU, State, Florida, Mizzou, and VA Tech)  we got outscore by more than 100 points in the 2nd half of those game. 132-27 in 12 quarters of football.

Dwillhog66

Quote from: Hogwild on August 20, 2017, 12:41:46 pm
Bull, our 2nd half collapses aren't just on the players, whether adjustments weren't being made or the wrong play calling, it is on the coaches just as much as the players. 
It wasn't just the final two games.  Look at our last 6 games against P5 schools (Auburn, LSU, State, Florida, Mizzou, and VA Tech)  we got outscore by more than 100 points in the 2nd half of those game. 132-27 in 12 quarters of football.

It's a good thing the players are taking the responsibility for the poor 2nd half performances, regardless of who has actual responsibility.
It's a new season. What happened in the past doesn't matter now. How this group uses the past to motivate themselves is the only important thing now. Be a good fan and get behind them.

Hoggle

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 09:58:56 am
We were preseason #17 in 2010, and #15 in 2011. I guess you are referring to that JL Smith led #10 rankings?

Yes Ricepig, you make a great point that we were top 17 and 15 prior to that.   The preseason top 10 followed the team that finished the year before 11-2 with losses only to the national champ and runner up. The team that in week 12 was ranked #3 and playing #2 for a spot in the national championship most likely (Garret Uekman died the week of that LSU game which made it a very tough week getting ready for LSU).  The team that was returning 13 starters, including their QB, and several future NFLers. The one Petrino built and controlled every aspect of through April 2012. The one Petrino built and JLS, under the direction of Jeff Long, took over going into that season and quickly demonstrated the importance of leadership, or lack there of - both from a coaching and AD standpoint.

GuvHog

Quote from: wildhogman on August 19, 2017, 11:58:04 pm

Well you're half right, I'll give you credit for that. I would like to see Bobby be successful at Louisville just so I could enjoy watching you "knowitalls" eat a lot of Crow. However, watching CBB and his Hogs have a big year would be far more important to me because first and foremost, I'm a dyed in the wool Hog fan and have been since the early 60's. I just want the Hogs to have success on the field no matter WHO the head coach is.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: Hoggle on August 20, 2017, 12:50:51 pm
Yes Ricepig, you make a great point that we were top 17 and 15 prior to that.   The preseason top 10 followed the team that finished the year before 11-2 with losses only to the national champ and runner up. The team that in week 12 was ranked #3 and playing #2 for a spot in the national championship most likely (Garret Uekman died the week of that LSU game which made it a very tough week getting ready for LSU).  The team that was returning 13 starters, including their QB, and several future NFLers. The one Petrino built and controlled every aspect of through April 2012. The one Petrino built and JLS, under the direction of Jeff Long, took over going into that season and quickly demonstrated the importance of leadership, or lack there of - both from a coaching and AD standpoint.

Lol, I get it, Petrino good, Long bad. I loved winning those years as much as anyone, but due to BP's total disregard for anyone but himself, he ruined it. He's gone, time to move on.

hawgon

Year five and coach is just now discussing the importance of finishing games. Lol

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 01:16:13 pm
Year five and coach is just now discussing the importance of finishing games. Lol

Dude he's been talking about it since year one.

He can't go out there and do it himself.
This is my non-signature signature.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 20, 2017, 12:26:31 pm
I wasn't meaning to indicate that you didn't. My point was that for these kids, after the way that some games went last season, there is extra meaning in that simple act this year.

But, what about the way some games went the season before that?

hawgon

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on August 20, 2017, 02:31:42 pm
Dude he's been talking about it since year one.

He can't go out there and do it himself.

Nor can he coach it up apparently.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on August 19, 2017, 11:43:00 am
Danish.
A Danish is a donut without a hole.  I learned that on Hogville.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PonderinHog on August 20, 2017, 05:49:03 pm
A Danish is a donut without a hole.  I learned that on Hogville.
but are they sweetish?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

snoblind

clutch

Quote from: 12247 on August 17, 2017, 05:15:26 pm
I believe the coaching staff needs to have a system that helps fight the doldrums.  It is very easy as a young player to get down if things start to go wrong.  This will also make things just go more wrong and the system keeps rewarding itself with more failure. 

Calling a timeout and having a stern talk with everyone might help. Something like we are doing this to ourselves.  Here is what we are going to do.  This is our next play.  Does everyone know what is expected of them.  Now is the time to ask questions if you don't because failure is not a fricking option.  There is no excuse, execute the plan.  Stay focused.  If that play works and it is likely to because hopefully everyone is totally focused, then insist on the next play being treated the same.  It is totally possible to have the same high by doing things correctly as it is to go totally in the shitter due to doing things incorrectly.  I have seen BB turn himself away from the fray as the ship slowly sinks.  In my opinion, that is the exact time that HIS TEAM needs him the most, including the assistant coaches. 

This attitude of failure is ingrown and will stay there until the coaches find a way to remove it. 

If only it were even remotely close to that simple. It's pretty funny that you think it is though. Step into a huddle with some teenage kids that are down in the dumps and see if a pep talk is going to turn everything around. I can promise you one thing, it's going to take a lot more than 30 seconds to get everyone "completely focused" again. If it were that simple some college would be paying Tony Robbins millions of dollars to stand on their sidelines for a couple months a year.

hawgon

It's really pretty simple, but hard to do if you are not an anal retentive details oriented arsehole.

You have to have a team so drilled that it doesn't think, it just does.  They have to really believe in that if they do exactly as they have practiced and been coached, that they will get good results.  And you can't wing it and expect success.  Every conceivable thing has to be anticipated, planned, and practiced.  The coach has to be incredibly demanding of not just his players and assistants but himself as well. 

After one of his US Open wins a woman approached Ben Hogan and said, "Gee, Mr. Hogan you sure got some lucky breaks out there today."  Hogan replied, "It's funny, the more I practice the luckier I get."

I don't see what i wrote as asking for a PEP TALK.  I see it as getting the hell focused, we are going to do this immediately after returning to the field and I EXPECT every one to be on the same page.  Following that I will send in the next play and I fully expect each and every one of you to operate the system just like you were trained.  And we'll go froward from there and kick the darn our of this team.  And we'll do this in spite of the wuzzy fans over there working overtime making excuses for our piss poor performance when under duress when no excuses are necessary.  We sucked and I damn well don't intend to allow it to continue.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 12247 on August 20, 2017, 08:17:06 pm
I don't see what i wrote as asking for a PEP TALK.  I see it as getting the hell focused, we are going to do this immediately after returning to the field and I EXPECT every one to be on the same page.  Following that I will send in the next play and I fully expect each and every one of you to operate the system just like you were trained.  And we'll go froward from there and kick the darn our of this team.  And we'll do this in spite of the wuzzy fans over there working overtime making excuses for our piss poor performance when under duress when no excuses are necessary.  We sucked and I damn well don't intend to allow it to continue.

What about the other team? Do they not do these things?

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 08:17:06 pm
It's really pretty simple, but hard to do if you are not an anal retentive details oriented arsehole.

You have to have a team so drilled that it doesn't think, it just does.  They have to really believe in that if they do exactly as they have practiced and been coached, that they will get good results.  And you can't wing it and expect success.  Every conceivable thing has to be anticipated, planned, and practiced.  The coach has to be incredibly demanding of not just his players and assistants but himself as well. 

After one of his US Open wins a woman approached Ben Hogan and said, "Gee, Mr. Hogan you sure got some lucky breaks out there today."  Hogan replied, "It's funny, the more I practice the luckier I get."

If a coach's players don't respect him to the point that they'll 100% buy in to what he's doing because it works, He isn't going to have much success. It's one thing for players to like their coach but it's another for them to respect him. Last year many of the defensive players didn't respect Robb Smith because his system wasn't working and it hurt the team. The players seem to very much respect coach Rhoads and seem to be 100% buying in to his system.

On a personal level, Bobby Petrino's Hogs didn't like him at all but they respected the heck out of him and 100% bought in to his system because it worked. I think Bret Bielema's Hogs respect him just as much.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawgon

Quote from: GuvHog on August 20, 2017, 08:41:25 pm
If a coach's players don't respect him to the point that they'll 100% buy in to what he's doing because it works, He isn't going to have much success. It's one thing for players to like their coach but it's another for them to respect him. Last year many of the defensive players didn't respect Robb Smith because his system wasn't working and it hurt the team. The players seem to very much respect coach Rhoads and seem to be 100% buying in to his system.

On a personal level, Bobby Petrino's Hogs didn't like him at all but they respected the heck out of him and 100% bought in to his system because it worked. I think Bret Bielema's Hogs respect him just as much.

You going to respect a guy pushing 400 pounds who tries to tell you what you need to do to get in shape or tries to talk to you about personal discipline?

PorkSoda

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 08:53:42 pm
You going to respect a guy pushing 400 pounds who tries to tell you what you need to do to get in shape or tries to talk to you about personal discipline?
if you want playing time, you better respect him.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 08:53:42 pm

That's a pretty dumb remark.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgon

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 20, 2017, 09:54:55 pm
That's a pretty dumb remark.

Not really.  Someone not disciplined enough to keep themselves south of 350 pounds likely isn't disciplined enough to do lots of other stuff.

SRV

Quote from: ricepig on August 20, 2017, 01:05:02 pm
Lol, I get it, Petrino good, Long bad. I loved winning those years as much as anyone, but due to BP's total disregard for anyone but himself, he ruined it. He's gone, time to move on.
Yes....please let's move on.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Dwillhog66

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 09:57:20 pm
Not really.  Someone not disciplined enough to keep themselves south of 350 pounds likely isn't disciplined enough to do lots of other stuff.

I would wager he's far more disciplined the you are when it comes to professional success based on earnings and hours worked. I would also wager coach B had a hell of a lot more success than you did as a football player as well.
I would also wager you are far more successful as a judge of discipline sitting behind your key board.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dwillhog66 on August 20, 2017, 10:30:54 pm
I would wager he's far more disciplined the you are when it comes to professional success based on earnings and hours worked. I would also wager coach B had a hell of a lot more success than you did as a football player as well.
I would also wager you are far more successful as a judge of discipline sitting behind your key board.
right?  when you are pulling in 7 figures while working 60-80 hours a week, caloric intake prolly isn't at the top of your concerns.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 20, 2017, 10:58:39 pm
right?  when you are pulling in 7 figures while working 60-80 hours a week, caloric intake prolly isn't at the top of your concerns.

60-80 hours a week?  No wonder he isn't doing well.  That would be the fewest hours by half of any coach in the SEC.

wildhogman

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 09:57:20 pm
I think your statements about his "personal discipline" on his weight have about as much to do with the price of tea in china as CBP "personal discipline" over a certain part of his anatomy

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 05:42:23 am
60-80 hours a week?  No wonder he isn't doing well.  That would be the fewest hours by half of any coach in the SEC.

Good to know you have all the SEC coaches on the clock.

Al Boarland

Quote from: hawgon on August 21, 2017, 05:42:23 am

He's got a kid. They are only Bavaria for a short period of time. He needs balance right now.

gchamblee

Quote from: hawgon on August 20, 2017, 01:16:13 pm

You really don't pay attention do you lol