Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chad Walker new OLB coach

Started by ricepig, February 10, 2017, 09:06:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Hogfan46

hawgjr

bennyl08

Roots in Louisiana. Coached there under Saban. Helped OU transfer to the 3-4. Some NFL experience.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Dwight_K_Shrute

Has never been a position coach at the FCS or FBS level.  His time at LSU he was a recruiting intern and QC coach. Same at OU.  Some may call this negative, but it's just a simple fact.  Again may turn out to be a great coach but on paper we have some of the least experienced coaches in the SEC.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Jek Tono Porkins

Well, there's not a whole lot of room for bitching about this hire. A+
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Hogs run wild

hopefully this new staff can gel sooner than later. will take a wait and see approach.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

kodiakisland

His last game was a doozy!  Should fit in well here.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: kodiakisland on February 10, 2017, 09:21:40 pm
His last game was a doozy!  Should fit in well here.
Too soon, bro. Too soon.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HawgWILD23

Looks like a good hire to me. Who coaches ST now?

The_Boot_stops_here

February 10, 2017, 09:26:40 pm #10 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:32:11 am by The_Boot_stops_here
Hmmmmm....ok then...

greasy_corner

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 09:06:28 pm
Figured it deserved it's own thread to be trashed.

Well you "figured" wrong!  Great hire, and here's the top 10 reasons why:

1.  He's bald.
2.  He was the defensive quality control coach at OU....so, he was no where near the woman beaters of  Mixon and DGB.
3.  He looks crazy...and mean.
4.  He went to LSU during some of their worst times, so he understands the "territory".
5.  He has never coached at Baylor.
6.  He's bald...and mean.
7.  He once spoke to Saban.   
8.  He coached the Falcons in the SB LI, so he has as many rings as you or I do.  Not pretentious, but probably needing a job.
9.  Saban.
10.  He's bald!

hawgmasta

Seems like a very solid hire, the dude is known for helping teams transition to a 3-4 base. Louisiana guy so you hope he recruits it well. Our Louisiana recruiting has increased quickly thanks to Coach Michael Smith

HOGINTENNESSEE

grayhawg

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 10, 2017, 09:15:15 pm
Has never been a position coach at the FCS or FBS level.  His time at LSU he was a recruiting intern and QC coach. Same at OU.  Some may call this negative, but it's just a simple fact.  Again may turn out to be a great coach but on paper we have some of the least experienced coaches in the SEC.

These seem like blue-collar hires...nothing sexy about them (resumes) but the recommendations suggest they are really good at their jobs (installation of the 3-4 seems to be a recurring theme)

I guess it's better "at the moment" to have say our  3 & 4 Star players know his assignments than to have 5 Star elite athlete's (looking at you Ole Miss) playing out of position and lost.

This year's Defense job is to build a attraction on national tv (ESPN or otherwise) and have commentator's gloating like a middle school girl over their performance...

That will attract the right attention in Texas & Louisiana
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Nosboar Accubond

Hog Solo

Welcome aboard. Anyone have a link to where he coached linebackers in the past?  Why has he been assisting all these years?

BigoBoys

What does a quality control assistant do? 

Hog Solo

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 10, 2017, 09:58:42 pm
What does a quality control assistant do?

From what I can tell a glorified film room "guy" that prepares the team for the upcoming opponent.

TeufelHog

February 10, 2017, 10:24:25 pm #22 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:51:56 pm by TeufelHog
Well, at least he's used to blowing a 20+ point lead.  HEY-OOOOOO!!!

Peter Porker

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 10, 2017, 09:34:44 pm

1.  He's bald.
2.  He was the defensive quality control coach at OU....so, he was no where near the woman beaters of  Mixon and DGB.
4.  He went to LSU during some of their worst times, so he understands the "territory".
8.  He coached the Falcons in the SB LI, so he has as many rings as you or I do.  Not pretentious, but probably needing a job.
9.  Saban.
10.  He's bald!

Porktarian out.

FIFY.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Hog Solo

Not a good hire at all in terms of coaching pedigree.I hope this guy has the fire to put his virginity of coaching out of all of us.

GoHogzzGo

Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Oklahawg

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/feb/10/hogs-name-new-lbs-coach/

Great hire.

OU and LSU connection means that you understand recruiting and winning at the highest level. NFL credentials help.

As noted above, the recurring theme of installing the 3-4 means we are hellbent on players instinctively knowing what to do in the new scheme vs having to think.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hog Solo

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 10, 2017, 10:42:21 pm
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/feb/10/hogs-name-new-lbs-coach/

Great hire.

OU and LSU connection means that you understand recruiting and winning at the highest level. NFL credentials help.

As noted above, the recurring theme of installing the 3-4 means we are hellbent on players instinctively knowing what to do in the new scheme vs having to think.

Ok,  I hope this is ingenious hire.  The guy has no experience in coaching except for the film room, and he has absolutely no experience coaching linebackers.  I hope him the best,  but this hire is a grasp at straws.

lumphog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 10, 2017, 09:51:38 pm
These seem like blue-collar hires...nothing sexy about them (resumes) but the recommendations suggest they are really good at their jobs (installation of the 3-4 seems to be a recurring theme)

I guess it's better "at the moment" to have say our  3 & 4 Star players know his assignments than to have 5 Star elite athlete's (looking at you Ole Miss) playing out of position and lost.

This year's Defense job is to build a attraction on national tv (ESPN or otherwise) and have commentator's gloating like a middle school girl over their performance...

That will attract the right attention in Texas & Louisiana
GOOD POST!!!!......I agree

BigoBoys

Quote from: Hog Solo on February 10, 2017, 10:04:49 pm
From what I can tell a glorified film room "guy" that prepares the team for the upcoming opponent.
I'm guessing that there is more to it than your view

Hog Solo

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 10, 2017, 11:03:22 pm
I'm guessing that there is more to it than your view

Well look it up yourself then. 

BigoBoys

Quote from: Hog Solo on February 10, 2017, 11:06:05 pm
Well look it up yourself then. 
So they spend their life in a film room?  No exposure to other coaches or players? 

Hog Solo

Quote from: BigoBoys on February 10, 2017, 11:13:20 pm
So they spend their life in a film room?  No exposure to other coaches or players?

I don't know.  What did you find??? 

BigoBoys

Quote from: Hog Solo on February 10, 2017, 11:15:20 pm
I don't know.  What did you find??? 
Well I thought you were the expert. 

Cure

Another NFL get, great tool for recruiting.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

lasthog

Quote from: greasy_corner on February 10, 2017, 09:34:44 pm

1.  He's bald.
9.  Saban.
10.  He's bald!

I hit solid on 4.5 of those.  I saw Saban once also, yelled at him too, so I think I get a passing grade.

JIHawg

This, from an Oklahoma article two years ago, is all I need to know about him.

"Mike Stoops' unit was the foundation of OU's 10-2 record, earning them an Allstate Sugar Bowl berth against the team that helped make it all happen.

"When we made this move to a 3-4, they helped us with a lot of install," Mike Stoops said of the Alabama influence on the 2013 Sooners. "Chad Walker, who is our quality control guy who works with me in structuring our defense, spent four or five years with Nick. He's helped me tremendously to put this thing together. They understand it better than anybody. Coach Saban has been running this and variations of all kinds of defenses."

Hawghiggs

Can we all agree to call him Jimmie.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: JIHawg on February 10, 2017, 11:44:03 pm
This, from an Oklahoma article two years ago, is all I need to know about him.

"Mike Stoops' unit was the foundation of OU's 10-2 record, earning them an Allstate Sugar Bowl berth against the team that helped make it all happen.

"When we made this move to a 3-4, they helped us with a lot of install," Mike Stoops said of the Alabama influence on the 2013 Sooners. "Chad Walker, who is our quality control guy who works with me in structuring our defense, spent four or five years with Nick. He's helped me tremendously to put this thing together. They understand it better than anybody. Coach Saban has been running this and variations of all kinds of defenses."

But...but...but...Hog Solo says it's a straw grasp

wachhog

I guess it's time to let it rest. It's what we thought it would be.

hogginbama

Holy cow patties, what is CBB thinking? This guy is the worst hire possible. He has never coached in the SEC, has never been a head coach and has never won a national championship with a team in the SEC. This is the worst hire ever.....fire Jeff Long, fire CBB and fire the cheerleaders coach. Hell while we are firing folks, fire the guy that cooks the hot dogs at the stadium.

Says the guys that hate CBB and can't see the effort being made to get better. You try something, if it doesn't work, you make a change and go again until you get it right. They can live in last year all they want, but it is obvious the CBB refuses to live in last year. He is letting last years failures motivate him to improve the coaching staff and make changes in our areas of weakness.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

wachhog

wachhog

Now we can't even entice the assistant to the assistant position coach. And Fayetteville yesterday was named the 5th Best City in the country in which  to live.

wachhog

Quote from: hogginbama on February 11, 2017, 01:18:29 am
Holy cow patties, what is CBB thinking? This guy is the worst hire possible. He has never coached in the SEC, has never been a head coach and has never won a national championship with a team in the SEC. This is the worst hire ever.....fire Jeff Long, fire CBB and fire the cheerleaders coach. Hell while we are firing folks, fire the guy that cooks the hot dogs at the stadium.

Says the guys that hate CBB and can't see the effort being made to get better. You try something, if it doesn't work, you make a change and go again until you get it right. They can live in last year all they want, but it is obvious the CBB refuses to live in last year. He is letting last years failures motivate him to improve the coaching staff and make changes in our areas of weakness.
He isn't thinking anything. Nobody wants to work for him.

JayHog

To me, it's another example of how Bielema wants to go off into left field and show how he's the smartest guy in the room. It may work/it may not. It's an "unknown" variable, because he's never actually been a primary recruiter or a primary LB coach.  But I guess we'll see how it all turns out.  Bielema has gambled his future here at Arkansas on these last two hires, so for his sake and ours, I sure hope he got it right!

goodguytex

February 11, 2017, 02:54:53 am #46 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:26:47 am by goodguytex
Seems like he is gonna wind up being solid recruiting help in Louisiana. There are big recruiting opportunities there and doors that are open that we need to take advantage of. Not just in Louisiana but Texas as well. Hopefully this coach as well as Coach Scott can help. We will see.

He's a new Orleans native too. I bet he's got some relationships already established with HAS coaches in the area which has been a recruiting hotbed for programs like bama and LSU.

It's come out in the media that LSU firing their WR coach and recruiting coordinator right after signing day has ruffled a lot of feathers with HS coaches in the New Orleans area.

And supposedly there's a boycott from New Orleans area coaches with the LSU program. That's an opportunity we need to take advantage of.

But either way, it's not just about one or two particular coaches. It's about an overall improving our defense. Making them solid in fundamentals, technique, and playing up to our potential. Hopefully these coaches, under Rhoades leadership, can help them do that.

jgphillips3

Quote from: HawgWILD23 on February 10, 2017, 09:24:11 pm
Looks like a good hire to me. Who coaches ST now?

My guess, when the 10th coach gets approved, we hire Charlie Partridge.

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!