Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So you think it is not talent or lack of

Started by hogsanity, October 23, 2017, 01:45:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

In the last 11 seasons Arkansas has lost 11 in a row to Bama and the avg margin of victory has been 24 pts ( 23.91 to be exact ). Bama has outscored Ar by 263 points in those 11 seasons. That spans 4 Ar coaches. Bp lost 4 times by an average of 23 pts. BB has lost 5 times by an average of 23 pts. One of those many here consider the best coach the Hogs have ever had outside of JFB and the other they consider one of the worst, yet against the top of the league they had the same results.  What is the only constant? Recruiting around 25th every year.

I picked Bama because they are who you have to beat right nw to be the best and because they have had the same coach over the entire span.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Beaverfever

There isn't a coach alive that could come to Arkansas and go .500 against Saban.  It's just not happening.  Comparing two coach's records against Bama is worthless. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Beaverfever on October 23, 2017, 01:54:45 pm
There isn't a coach alive that could come to Arkansas and go .500 against Saban.  It's just not happening.  Comparing two coach's records against Bama is worthless. 

I am comparing margin of loss only, never said we could get a coach to win X against Saban.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Oklahawg

Great point. We tend to lose sight of the bigger picture while groveling about "every little thing."
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogsanity

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 23, 2017, 02:16:33 pm
Great point. We tend to lose sight of the bigger picture while groveling about "every little thing."

I agree proper coaching is important, but the people saying this team has the talent to beat teams like Aub and A&M must be watching a different game.

holeinthewall

QuoteWhat is the only constant? Recruiting around 25th every year.

recruiting classes need to be ranked at the time the class leaves college. Then you see out of the say 25 you signed how many had an impact. How many transferred. How many were kicked off the team or flunked out, how many JAG you have  and how many actually make it through eligibility while having a meaningful impact.

azhog10

Another thread trying to toss out some lame excuse on why CBB isn't getting it done. CBP was able to compete with the talent he brought in.

hogsanity

Quote from: holeinthewall on October 23, 2017, 02:22:11 pm
recruiting classes need to be ranked at the time the class leaves college. Then you see out of the say 25 you signed how many had an impact. How many transferred. How many were kicked off the team or flunked out, how many JAG you have  and how many actually make it through eligibility while having a meaningful impact.

I have said that before, see what a class does as jrs and srs, but that is not how it is done, and while some classes may be off, you can get a general sense that the ranking s are pretty good. The teams that get the top classes year after year tend to be the higher ranked at the end of the season.  There are always exceptions, but you also have to factor in that like 12 of the top 25 classes every year are in one conference.

PorkSoda

Quote from: holeinthewall on October 23, 2017, 02:22:11 pm
or in the case of bama, how many 5 stars sat on the bench.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on October 23, 2017, 02:23:32 pm
Another thread trying to toss out some lame excuse on why CBB isn't getting it done. CBP was able to compete with the talent he brought in.

I have said in no less than 4 threads to fire him as it is obvious he is not going to win here. It still does not change the fact that our state produces precious little SEC CALIBRE talent, and for a myriad of reasons it is not going to come here from other states. So you guys can use words like compete, but competing does not equal winning, and BP won NOTHING while here. NOT a BCS game, NOT a conf title, not a division tile, NOTHING. The same things he is going to win at UL, NOTHING.

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 02:21:16 pm
I agree proper coaching is important, but the people saying this team has the talent to beat teams like Aub and A&M must be watching a different game.
You obviously put about a zero on coaching. Same old story with you...if any coach has "success" here it's simply because they were lucky with high end recruits.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HiggiePiggy

So what was Arkansas record with Alabama before Saban showed up?  It was a lot closer. Coaching is the BIGGEST problem.  Talent is always going to be less than majority of the teams we play in the SEC, but it has been that way since we joined the SEC and we managed to do ok.  I'm not saying we don't lack talent. We always will, but the excuse of talent is why we lose is BS.  Talent is only going to be as good as the coach we have. 

Saban is probably going to go down as the greatest coach in college history. Look at everyone in the SEC against Saban.  It isn't very good. I believe they have won something like 20 or so SEC games in a row. If you are going to compare us to Alabama then everyone in the SEC lacks talent. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Vantage 8 dude

I've never compared our classes OVER THE LONG RUN to Awbarn, LSU, TAM and most certainly NOT Alabama. Which means that with generally lesser overall talent COACHING, ATTENTION to DETAIL and DEVELOPMENT becomes even more paramount for the Hogs. This issue has been discussed over and over again. It doesn't take a scientific rocket to figure that out. Hello.....

hogsanity

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 23, 2017, 02:34:11 pm

Saban is probably going to go down as the greatest coach in college history. Look at everyone in the SEC against Saban.  It isn't very good. I believe they have won something like 20 or so SEC games in a row. If you are going to compare us to Alabama then everyone in the SEC lacks talent. 

I was comparing two coaches  BP who many around here would cry tears of joy if he burned their house they think he is so great, and BB who is going to go down, record wise, as the worst coach we have had that was here for more than 2 years, since joining the SEC, yet both had the same results against Bama. SO, if it is coaching, why did one "great" coach not do better in the series?

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 23, 2017, 02:34:11 pm
Talent is always going to be less than majority of the teams we play in the SEC, but it has been that way since we joined the SEC and we managed to do ok.  I'm not saying we don't lack talent. We always will, but the excuse of talent is why we lose is BS.  Talent is only going to be as good as the coach we have. 

Wait, what? We are less talented, but having less talent is not a reason that we lose games? That makes no sense. By that argument Ball State could win a NC if they just had better coaching.

I do not care how great the coach, if he has inferior talent, they are not going to win many games against teams with better talent. It is why Bama lost to ULM in Saban's 1st year, they just did not have much talent. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on October 23, 2017, 02:34:39 pm
I've never compared our classes OVER THE LONG RUN to Awbarn, LSU, TAM and most certainly NOT Alabama. Which means that with generally lesser overall talent COACHING, ATTENTION to DETAIL and DEVELOPMENT becomes even more paramount for the Hogs.

Yea, I would not compare them either because it is scary how much more talent they bring in year after year.

I agree those things are vitally important when you have lesser talent, BUT they will also only overcome so much of the talent gap.

jkstock04

He was just lucky with that #28 ranked class and all those blue chip players from in state that covered up for his weak coaching.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 01:45:04 pm
In the last 11 seasons Arkansas has lost 11 in a row to Bama and the avg margin of victory has been 24 pts ( 23.91 to be exact ). Bama has outscored Ar by 263 points in those 11 seasons. That spans 4 Ar coaches. Bp lost 4 times by an average of 23 pts. BB has lost 5 times by an average of 23 pts. One of those many here consider the best coach the Hogs have ever had outside of JFB and the other they consider one of the worst, yet against the top of the league they had the same results.  What is the only constant? Recruiting around 25th every year.

I picked Bama because they are who you have to beat right nw to be the best and because they have had the same coach over the entire span.

I don't see what this tells you one way or the other.  Yes we recruit traditionally about 25th nationally we always have and we likely always will be somewhere in that area. This by the way, is not bad. Being 25th nationally is better than a lot of teams that have solid programs and good seasons year in and year out. Unfortunately we play in the SEC West and they don't. In the SEC West, 25th nationally puts you somewhere around 10th in the conference.  This will always make it difficult to compete with Alabama.  I don't think that  anyone disagrees that having less talent on the field make the job more difficult.  But our recruiting has been static over the last 3 had coaches. 

Nothing has moved the needle on our recruiting, not winning, not new facilities, not new or different coaches. No matter what, we average out recruiting about 25th nationally. Hoping that will change in the future is futile.  It is going to stay about the same and one can debate about the reasons. That is why we need a coach that can consistently field a product that can compete against superior talent and win at a talent deficit. The margin of error at Arkansas is razor thin (pun intended).  The only way that recruiting is going to improve at Arkansas is long-term success.  I mean we would need a solid decade of decent to great seasons.  I don't mean we need a national championship, but we need consistent 8-10 win seasons with consistent leadership and then you may see the needle move. In order to get that you have to get a coach who can field a good, competitive team with the talent available to him.

The_Iceman

I believe this same talent would be much more competitive in a different offensive system.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 02:39:36 pm
I was comparing two coaches  BP who many around here would cry tears of joy if he burned their house they think he is so great, and BB who is going to go down, record wise, as the worst coach we have had that was here for more than 2 years, since joining the SEC, yet both had the same results against Bama. SO, if it is coaching, why did one "great" coach not do better in the series?

Wait, what? We are less talented, but having less talent is not a reason that we lose games? That makes no sense. By that argument Ball State could win a NC if they just had better coaching.

I do not care how great the coach, if he has inferior talent, they are not going to win many games against teams with better talent. It is why Bama lost to ULM in Saban's 1st year, they just did not have much talent.
[/quot]Then what you're saying excuses any and every coach from actually developing his players. Recruiting is the one and only factor? Come on, you know better than that. No one's arguing that talent makes a HUGE difference; no doubt about that. However, to merely let a coach off with a "bye" because he doesn't consistently have top flight talent is bogus as well. Too many teams-Mich State, Wisconsin, Washington State and others don't consistently have great/top notch classes either. However, they some how manage to turn out some fairly good teams. The one common thread is they know what systems/schemes they want to run, they teach their kids how to run it AND they develop the talent they do have to overcome their rankings. And don't give me bunk about the SEC being better overall. You're telling me that the Missouri's, Mississippi State's Ole Miss', USCe's of the world-just to name several we will have played/will play this year-have an easier time of it when it comes to fighting for the  recruiting "scraps" ??? To blame the majority of our problems on lack of talent is not only lazy, but insulting. It wasn't lack of talent that led us to have only 9 players on the field the other night. You're also telling me that the miserable techniques shown on the offensive line are totally a result of a talent deficiency? While I'll agree we're rarely going to keep our opponents up at night worrying about our stacked level of four and five stars, however, I can promise you that with this HC and overall staff we sure the heck ain't going to scare them with the overall genius level of coaching superiority and game planning either. I

n the end the HC and his staff are responsible for the entire product from beginning to end-evaluating kids they're recruiting, trying to "seal the deal" on signing day, getting them in and teaching them the system(s) they'll be running, developing/teaching each and every kid his position and responsibility, assigning responsibility to each and every player for his personal actions and play, developing each kid's mind and body based on each young man's individual nutritional needs, continually  monitoring the progress (or lack thereof) of each player, game planning and making both in game and half time adjustments and finally, TAKING FULL AND TOTAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE TEAM'S RESULTS. In other words, not copping out when the results are clearly not where they need to be our there's another couple words for it-coaching and actually earning your keep.

One last thing: the first year Saban came in Alabama was a total mess. From both a culture and talent standpoint. Yes, they lost to ULM; however, want to guess where they were the next season and the next, and the next? And before you   shrug it off and say it was merely the riches of talent down in TTown let me assure you of one thing-not totally. I know for a clear and honest fact that from day one Lou came in with a system-from start to finish. He held ALL his kids, no matter who or what their high school rankings, accountable both on the practice field and in the football stadium. The reason I know all this first hand is that I have an uncle who was on staff at the time. And trust me the difference between pre-Saban and post-Saban from day one was like light versus darkness.

AirWarren

Our kids are just slow.

And the fast ones (welcome to the team WARREN and TJ) never touch the ball.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 23, 2017, 03:08:11 pm
I believe this same talent would be much more competitive in a different offensive system.

I do not disagree, but does competitive equal more wins? The 2014 team was very competitive, took 2 different #1 ranked teams to the wire, but only won 7 games. 

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 23, 2017, 03:09:32 pm
This is such a petty argument!  I am not a CBP apologist because he had to be let go but if you think rising to the rank of #3 in the country is winning nothing, you are exhibiting your lack of understanding of sports.  Sports is not a win it all proposition or you are no good.  CFB is relevance, and that begins with getting in the top 15 and rising into the top 10!  Every day your program is on SC,  No matter how much you guys hate SC, recruits cherish it, is a step in the right direction.  What teams do SC highlight?  Top 25!  BP had us at #3, we will never know how far he could have gone on just that alone.  If winning conference or NCs is your measuring stick to describe winning, sorry sir, there are very few winners in sports then because they are far and few between.  To say that is an absolute silly assertion!  I'll take a top ten ranking every season and call it WINNING every day and twice on Sunday!

Well we know what his recruiting was after 10 and 11 win seasons, not any different than what it always is here.

I do not disagree with what you described, and you described something tangible. What you are saying though is that winning the conference or even the division is not that important. Do you say that because you truly believe that or because you know it is not likely to happen here, regardless of who the coach is?

Piggfoot

Bobby Petrino had 2 exceptional year riding the backs of some Exceptional Arkansas High School players. The following year he had no recruiting. The result was Smiles record of 4-8. Over all Petrino has had a good coaching career but that is water under the bridge.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Letsroll1200

It's not the losses to Bama. It's getting embarrassed by Auburn two years ago and getting beat down by South Carolina.
The continued issues with the offensive line and special teams.

KennyForAD

Bama has done the same to virtually everyone.  A better question would be, "How is it that Vandy has a superior team to ours?"

bennyl08

Quote from: Beaverfever on October 23, 2017, 01:54:45 pm

Urban Meyer says hello.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

PorkSoda

Quote from: bennyl08 on October 23, 2017, 04:39:19 pm
Urban Meyer says hello.
at florida and ohio state, yes.

at arkansas is pushing it...
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 23, 2017, 04:40:08 pm
at florida and ohio state, yes.

at arkansas is pushing it...

At this point in their careers, if either wanted to, Meyer or Saban could go to Tulsa and build it into a perennial national title contender IMO. It would very quickly regress back to the mean after he left, but kids know what he could do. Give him a handful of years to build that program up and either one of those two could have Tulsa spend 95% of the time in the top 5 of the polls.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

zebradynasty

Coaching is a problem but if you think all we need is the best X's and O's coach to consistently be a 8-9 win team...There is not enough talent here PERIOD. Heck you can physically look at the difference of our players vs bama, auburn, A&M, LSU... Yes we have some talent but when you can look at 22 position on Bama and 22 positions for the Hogs and not one person off our 22 could take a starting position from a Bama player...you can't coach your way out of that! BB is selling BS when he says we are close!!

elksnort

Good gawd, of course the hogs are not getting the best talent, but they are getting enough talent to do BETTER THAN THEY ARE DOING.

And this comes down to coaching.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2017, 01:45:04 pm

Nobody is beating Bama you goober

Just post in the trash next time
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Tejano Jawg

When things are bad, everything looks bad. Starting with the score and moving backwards—right now the play calling and in-game adjustments look bad, the preparation looks bad, and the TALENT looks deficient. All of that is true, in different capacities. For no reason, I believe we have enough talent on campus to be at least .500 in the SEC.

In 3 coaches' tenures in the Saban era, each had an Alabama game they should have won. (Debatable of course.)
–Nutt didn't manage the clock in Saban's first year, DMac was tremendous, but Saban's patience paid off.
–Petrino in 2010, Mallett threw 3 picks in our 24-20 loss in Fayetteville.
–Bielema in 2014, fumbles and missed kicks led to a wasted (amazing) defensive effort and a 14-13 loss.

I would say in the first 2, we had better talent that Bama (maybe not position for position). In 2014, we had some superior SEC talent—Philon, Spaight, Flowers, Derby, Jon Williams—and the rest of the team over-achieved that day.

Had we won those 3—or say 2 of those 3—how differently would we feel now? Certainly the sinister stigma wouldn't be hanging around like it is. We should have taken those while we had the chance, because we won't always have the chance.

Arkansas will never out-recruit for all 11 positions on each side against Alabama, LSU and probably Auburn. If 2014 is the model, and if we sprinkle in enough star talent, we have a chance.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hog-Corleone

Lack of talent due to:
A:  poor recruiting planning
B:  poor development of recruits
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

3Scoreand10

As I said in another post---
This coaching staff is so bad it is impossible to really know how good or bad our talent level is.

TheJoeyBucketz

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 23, 2017, 06:33:15 pm
Had we won those 3—or say 2 of those 3—how differently would we feel now? .
If all of the rest of our record was the same? Wouldn't that be 7 SEC wins in 5 years? I wouldn't feel different at all, except I would just assume that BB had some pics of Saban and some hookers holed up somewhere and Saban was throwing the games to keep them from getting out. I really think that's the only reason Ole Miss beat em the couple times that they did.
Dominic Fletcher following his homerun against Texas Tech in Omaha, "I thought they said this park was big?!"

gchamblee

I just feel like a better coach would have beaten aTm and South Carolina with our existing talent, and would also have a good shot at winning out the rest of the season.

Piggfoot

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 23, 2017, 04:08:24 pm
Stop it!  So you think that 4-8 team under JLS is an indictment of BP?  That team had a BP QB that was a perfect fit in his system.  He would have taken that team to 9-3 or 10-2 easily!  Coaches recruit to their system!  I have no doubt in my mind, if not for his motorcycle shenanigans, we would be a top 10 program in the country today.  Would he have beaten Bama?  I doubt that, we are witnessing the GREATEST CFB coach in the history of the game!  BUT, we would be relavent because EVERY top 10 program is relavent and going 10-2, 3rd in the SEC is top 10 every day of the week!
You are delusional. That team won 4 games and the next year 3. He was a good coach but I don't think even he could have won five more games each year. Remember his first year here your God only won 5.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Poker_hog

No reasonable Arkansas fan is requiring us to beat bama regularly, that is a straw man argument.

We do have some talent though.  We could literally start a 4 star recruit at every position on offense. No excuse for 2-5.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

rhames

Quote from: gchamblee on October 23, 2017, 06:54:20 pm
I just feel like a better coach would have beaten aTm and South Carolina with our existing talent, and would also have a good shot at winning out the rest of the season.

Yeap.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 23, 2017, 06:56:22 pm
You are delusional. That team won 4 games and the next year 3. He was a good coach but I don't think even he could have won five more games each year. Remember his first year here your God only won 5.
no you are delusional.  a ton of future NFL on those teams squandered.

HiggiePiggy

So are you one of those that don't think the head coach makes a huge difference in a teams success?   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

rhames

We will never know but it is hard for me to believe Petrino wouldn't have done better in those seasons if he were here. Too bad he was a POS who thought he was untouchable
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Vantage 8 dude

While I don't typically watch the Paul Finebaum Show I did happen to see it earlier this evening. Toward the end of the program he had Nick Fitzgerald, the qb of Miss State. Nick was asked what makes Dan Mullen such a successful coach at a school that doesn't have many of the advantages of many of its competitors. Nick said "it's his ability to spot players, many of whom are 'diamonds in the rough', and develop them". Wow! An interesting comment and observation for those who claim that it's virtually all about talent and has little to do with the coaching aspect. No, talent does matter; however, it never has been the only thing. Therein lies one of the huge differences in CBB's and staff's ability to "coach up" and develop kids once they hit campus. At a program such as ours this coaching and developmental ability is always going to take on added meaning and importance.

presidenthog

A better coach beats A&M every year but last year.

KennyForAD

We went toe to toe with Bama a couple years ago.  Lost by one.   We have gotten DRAMATICALLY worse ever since.   That is what matters.

PorkSoda

Quote from: KennyForAD on October 23, 2017, 08:24:46 pm
We went toe to toe with Bama a couple years ago.  Lost by one.   We have gotten DRAMATICALLY worse ever since.   That is what matters.
but I thought petrino left the cupboard bare!?  now that all the NFL talent he recruited is gone...

LZH

Hogsanity is our liberal equalizer.

Pay BB whatever he's due and start over. Who is his replacement? I know it makes a huge difference. But at this point, who gives a ****?.

Stop stroking fat boy's yayhoo 'cause you're wasting your time.