Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kirk Herbstreit says the CFP is redefining what fans see as a successful season

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 24, 2016, 05:48:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 11:05:35 pm
Again, depends on what you mean by successful. Yeah, yeah I realize the ultimate goal of every team is to try to win the NC each year. However, let me present a "for instance". Say the Hogs were to win an SECC, go into the playoffs, win and move on to the NC game but come up short. Do you honestly believe that most of our fans would consider the season a total failure? Of course we'd naturally be disappointed; however, to consider the whole year to be a total "washout" and unsuccessful is utterly ridiculous.

Or, we came in second in the West, went to the Sugar Bowl and beat a highly ranked team. Would we be disappointed? I doubt it.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 24, 2016, 11:05:35 pm
Again, depends on what you mean by successful. Yeah, yeah I realize the ultimate goal of every team is to try to win the NC each year. However, let me present a "for instance". Say the Hogs were to win an SECC, go into the playoffs, win and move on to the NC game but come up short. Do you honestly believe that most of our fans would consider the season a total failure? Of course we'd naturally be disappointed; however, to consider the whole year to be a total "washout" and unsuccessful is utterly ridiculous.

This is very true. For me, it has become a question of which is more important, making a major bowl/playoff, or winning it. In other words, short of a national championship game, isn't it more important to win 12-13 games a year?

How many times in recent years have we heard announcers during the postseason talk about a particular team's abysmal bowl record? Not many, certainly not as many times as we would have 30 years ago. In those days, your bowl record was a big deal, probably in part due to the fact that there were a lot less of them....and even fewer were televised (yes, there were several lower tier bowls that weren't televised).

Of course the National Championship game is different, because we all remember who wins those. But as for the rest of the postseason, we may remember a few but for the most part who knows who won the Rose Bowl or Orange Bowl 3, 4, or 5 years ago? However, I bet you most everyone can remember what teams had exceptional years and separated themselves from the eight or nine win teams. So, that makes the regular season more important, as it should be.

I wasn't a fan of a playoff system, but I am okay with it. I just never understood why everyone became unhinged because there wasn't 'a way to pick a true and consensus champion.' So what? It only matters to one team a year anyway, and that hasn't been us for decades. In other words, I like the idea of the college football postseason as a reward for those teams who won more games than they lost. A reward for the players, the school, and the fans. A national champion is for bragging rights of one team and gives writers something to print....not to mention being able to vote in a poll, which makes them feel important and part of the game (which they are not).

Oliver

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 25, 2016, 12:06:46 am
To me.....it won't be a true playoff, until 8 teams are involved.  In most years, there will be too many teams that could win it, that never make the cut at 4.

I'm for 8 teams too.  But the whole reason I believe a 4 team playoff was a must was to prevent the OU, USC, and Auburn situation again.  If you go undefeated in a power conference and you have no shot at playing for the National Championship, it's difficult for me to consider it a sport.  I believe an 8 team playoff will become a must when that same situation happens with 5 teams but I think the odds of that are zero.

oldbear

This is definitely a case of Herbie just wanting to stir discussion. He obviously believes if he says something or if he hears something, it must be true. I have no idea what the numbers are, but if fans lose interest in the latter part of the season as a result of the playoffs, then we should see a difference in TV ratings or attendance for teams as they fall out of playoff contention that is greater than any change that may have existed prior to the playoff system being instituted.

I do not have the time to do the research but seriously doubt that fans are losing interest in their teams as they drop off the playoff radar. How else do you measure fan disappointment? Surely we aren't just going to take Herb's word for it. I would not be surprised if average ratings for all teams has gone up in the last couple of years as a result of a playoff bringing new college football fans in. The sample size is probably too small to know what the long term effect is, but I would disagree with Herb until I see some objective evidence of "disappointment."

hoghiker

Quote from: RollHogTide on February 24, 2016, 03:59:57 pm
I completely agree with Kirk Herbstreit as a fan, but I also believe that many teams feel the same way.  Times have changed not only for the fans, but the players.  IMO - I believe that many players in bowl games are more concerned with injury than winning.  In addition to the fear of injury, I also believe there is a small percentage of players that could care less about playing in a non-playoff bowl. 
I hope this ain't so. It probably is but I'd like to think most Hogs were into the Liberty bowl. AC certainly looked like he cared.

hogsanity

To me.....it won't be a true playoff, until 8 teams are involved.  In most years, there will be too many teams that could win it, that never make the cut at 4.

What is so magic about 8 teams? How are they chosen? Is  it the p5 conf champs plus 3 wild cards? Is the p5 conf champs and the 3 highest rates other conf champs? Is it just 8 teams chosen by the committee instead of 4?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hobhog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on February 24, 2016, 06:48:11 am
This is why I wasn't too keen on a playoff system to begin with.

The college b-ball regular season is basically irrelevant beyond getting into ''The Dance''.

With fewer games, I don't see true irrelevancy happening to the football season, but I have wondered what effect it would have.

Lastly, I'm not comfortable with a playoff determining a winner.
The effects of a month off, a bad game, a bad seeding, a bad matchup, etc eradicates the team that may truly be the best team that year.

You can't always convince me the better team always wins.
Ever heard of upsets, the saying, ''Any given Saturday/Sunday, etc?

So you think it's better to VOTE to determine the best teams?!?

You have to play the games, and win to be champion. That's sports.

Grizzlyfan

Fans are consistently disappointed because, for the most part and for most programs, their expectations are way too high.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 24, 2016, 06:23:18 pm
maybe we should have a 64 team national playoff for High schools as well.

the reality is, like high school, the NCAA is just a stepping stone to the NFL.  we don't actually need to name a national champion.  but its fun for the fans.
Truly a stupid, stupid statement.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

wholehog92

Go back in college football history and find 3 #5 ranked teams that had a championship season. 

The thing I don't care for about the NFL is you can have a team stink up part of the year and get hot in the playoffs and win the superbowl.  Then their fans talk smack about how they had the best team that year.  It's the stupidest thing ever.  I don't want to see that in college football.  You already have what amounts to a playoff between 5-10 teams depending on the year.  If you look at the conference championships, those are an elimination game with the current system.

If you really want to think outside the box, you can look at the whole season as a playoff.  Win your power 5 conference is the round robin round of the tournament.  Win your conference game is the first elimination round.  Then a final bracket to determine the winner.  Sixty plus team play off already in our midst.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

LZH

Quote from: wholehog92 on February 25, 2016, 11:28:02 am
Go back in college football history and find 3 #5 ranked teams that had a championship season. 

The thing I don't care for about the NFL is you can have a team stink up part of the year and get hot in the playoffs and win the superbowl.  Then their fans talk smack about how they had the best team that year.  It's the stupidest thing ever.  I don't want to see that in college football.  You already have what amounts to a playoff between 5-10 teams depending on the year.  If you look at the conference championships, those are an elimination game with the current system.

If you really want to think outside the box, you can look at the whole season as a playoff.  Win your power 5 conference is the round robin round of the tournament.  Win your conference game is the first elimination round.  Then a final bracket to determine the winner.  Sixty plus team play off already in our midst.

Amen.

jesterzzn

Quote from: BRHogfan on February 24, 2016, 08:26:03 am
The Falcons were 14-2 WTH, it's not like they were 8-8, and they lost to the defending Super Bowl Champions and John Elways.  Geez.

Yeah but...

...it's the Falcons, Dude.

jesterzzn

Quote from: Oliver on February 25, 2016, 07:24:38 am
If you go undefeated in a power conference and you have no shot at playing for the National Championship, it's difficult for me to consider it a sport.

Wait wait wait...what?

PorkSoda

Quote from: Poppa Tart on February 25, 2016, 11:09:54 am
Truly a stupid, stupid statement.
I guess my point is, how important is it in the grand scheme of football that we are absolutely certain the right team was chosen as champion?

football is so competitive that it really comes down to who played the best that day, or which teams match up well against who.

a few years back, bama lost to lsu in the regular season then beat them in the NC game.   many thought bama shouldn't have even been allowed to play since they didnt even win their conference.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RT1941

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 24, 2016, 09:18:24 am
And the CFP hasn't diminished the season in the least.  IMO it's made it even stronger.  Last fall OM fans, and LSU fans (for a while), and UF fans (for a while) all had visions of their teams being in the playoff, and I think it made their defeats along the way even more crushing to those fans.
The entire season was exciting and interesting to me...a cliffhanger each weekend.
RazorTusk!!!!

HiggiePiggy

Ole miss wasn't going to make it to the playoffs with two losses. Even if they did make it to the sec championship game and won it. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

oldhog63

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 24, 2016, 06:29:21 pm
I disagree with Herb, I think there needs to be 8 teams. 16 is too many, 4 is too few.

I still like 16 teams if you count the P5 conference championship games as the first round and 6 at large for the other 3 first round games. Having the P5 champs automatically qualify ends the argument about a two loss SEC team is better than a one loss B12 team because the SEC is a tougher route. Or other such "my conference is better than yours" arguments. The conference champs get to decide it on the field.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 25, 2016, 07:33:57 pm
Ole miss wasn't going to make it to the playoffs with two losses. Even if they did make it to the sec championship game and won it.
And who by chance happened to give them that second "black eye"?

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 25, 2016, 09:43:15 pm
And who by chance happened to give them that second "black eye"?

Memphis and Florida

Even if they had beaten us they still would of had 2 losses and Alabama probably would have still snuck into the playoff with out even playing in the sec tournament. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhog63 on February 25, 2016, 09:24:33 pm
I still like 16 teams if you count the P5 conference championship games as the first round and 6 at large for the other 3 first round games. Having the P5 champs automatically qualify ends the argument about a two loss SEC team is better than a one loss B12 team because the SEC is a tougher route. Or other such "my conference is better than yours" arguments. The conference champs get to decide it on the field.

I'll be shocked if we ever see a 16 team play off at the Div I FBS level. Schools feel like that adds too many more games (whether true or not) and fan bases will travel less, especially early in the process. I think 8 is the ideal number and one that might find middle ground with college administrators.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

I will say this, since this playoff format has been put in place, it's really marginalized the former major bowls ... The Orange, Sugar, Rose and Fiesta.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 25, 2016, 10:05:46 pm
Memphis and Florida

Even if they had beaten us they still would of had 2 losses and Alabama probably would have still snuck into the playoff with out even playing in the sec tournament.
I believe if you go back and check the actual name of the team that gave them the second "shiner" was the Arkansas Razorbacks.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:WPS!!

WOOPIGMAN

Is anyone else tired of Herbstreit? I feel like he is constantly bitter toward the committee and other significant decision makers in College football. I think he is upset they continuously overlook him in important decisions for the future of college football and also ways to improve the now business module.

I'm not posting this because of this statement. I'm just saying in general, he needs to know his place and just call the games or say his watered down opinion on Gameday. I definitely see some bitterness.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 26, 2016, 10:36:59 am
I believe if you go back and check the actual name of the team that gave them the second "shiner" was the Arkansas Razorbacks.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:WPS!!

And again you are wrong.  We were their 3rd loss. 

Lost to Florida, Memphis, and then us. 

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/sec/2015-ole-miss-rebels-football-schedule.php

They were actually blown out in both of those losses.  Only made the Memphis look a little closer than it was.