Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's ideal Oline pipeline?

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 08, 2005, 02:52:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

I'd like to be able to fill the two-deep with seniors, juniors and third-year sophomores.

Let's say have four seniors, four or five juniors, and one or two sophomores in the two-deep.

How many players do you have to recruit every year at a reasonable hit rate?

True freshmen: 4-5 (most of whom will redshirt)
Redshirt freshmen: 4-5
Sophomores: 4-5 (including maybe one non-redshirt)
Juniors: 4-5 (including maybe one juco)
Seniors: 4

Between scholarship linemen and promising walk-ons, doncha need to carry 20+ Olinemen to have a prayer of keeping the two-deep filled with upperclassmen?

Of course, nobody keeps the line filled with veterans year after year.  The better teams recruit linemen who can be good as redshirt freshmen.  I am merely trying to illustrate how hard it is to get even one good line filled with upperclassmen.  Nutt's hit rate since 2001 has been something like 3/year, and he needs to be doing 4 at the very least.
[CENSORED]!

hawgjowls

seems like this year we have had lots of freaky stuff happen to o-lineman.  sled falls on one, blood clot gets another,concussion gets one.

after reading the article in the demgaz today that talks about the only 5 left standing,  isn't it amazing that they concluded that if you leave 5 at the same position they get better quicker.  mind boggling stuff.