Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Daniels???

Started by Exit Pursued by a Boar, November 23, 2016, 09:43:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Exit Pursued by a Boar

November 23, 2016, 09:43:35 am Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 10:42:40 am by exit followed by a boar

Anyone remember Chris Daniels, a 4* DT who reportedly wanted to come to UA, but on whom our staff hesitated?  The exact reasons for their hesitation regarding his recruitment have always been a bit of a mystery to me. Regardless, he ended up signing with Texas.  Anyone know how he's been doing down there?

EFBAB

DiamondHogFan

Not sure how he is doing, but he will have a new coaching staff next year.

ricepig

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 23, 2016, 09:46:15 am
Not sure how he is doing, but he will have a new coaching staff next year.

Yep

HardingHog

I believe he is redshirting

King Kong

He wanted an offer because of his family ties to Arkansas.

It was never determined or said that he would for sure have come to Arkansas if offered earlier

Ironhawg

Quote from: King Kong on November 23, 2016, 02:03:51 pm

It was never determined or said that he would for sure have come to Arkansas if offered earlier

Wasn't it kind of implied that Arkansas waited on offering him until he was academically qualified?  It seemed like he got upset because of the delay in the offer.

Oklahawg

Maybe we have a transfer in the works with the UT staff likely on the outs?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2016, 09:55:00 pm
Wasn't it kind of implied that Arkansas waited on offering him until he was academically qualified?  It seemed like he got upset because of the delay in the offer.

That was implied

onebadrubi

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 23, 2016, 10:36:36 pm

Would be nice to get that safety that chose them over us last year too if we are dreaming.

ricepig

I think we finished 3rd behind OU.

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on November 24, 2016, 10:17:51 am
I think we finished 3rd behind OU.

Bielema was not impressed with him, turned him down. Nothing to see here, move along.

King Kong

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 24, 2016, 10:47:50 am
Bielema was not impressed with him, turned him down. Nothing to see here, move along.

No, we offered even did an in home to try to get his commitment

hollywood hog

Jalin Barnett.  #1 rated OG in the country and we wouldn't take him.  That's how bad we are at recruiting.  We told the #1 OG thanks but no thanks.

hollywood hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 24, 2016, 09:07:54 am
Would be nice to get that safety that chose them over us last year too if we are dreaming.

And the RB we thought we had in the bag to go with Whaley and Hammonds.  We'd be stacked at one position at least. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hollywood hog on December 05, 2016, 10:29:55 pm
Jalin Barnett.  #1 rated OG in the country and we wouldn't take him.  That's how bad we are at recruiting.  We told the #1 OG thanks but no thanks.

Want to share the full story?  Or just what makes your bash look good?

onebadrubi

Quote from: hollywood hog on December 05, 2016, 10:37:37 pm
And the RB we thought we had in the bag to go with Whaley and Hammonds.  We'd be stacked at one position at least.

I'm not sure we were taking him and Whaley, think the goal was 1 of the 2

hollywood hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 10:38:49 pm

I thought we were expecting Kyle Porter to commit and were surprised by him going to Texas.  I could be wrong... 

hollywood hog

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 10:38:04 pm
Want to share the full story?  Or just what makes your bash look good?

I must not know it.  All I knew was that he and his grandparents were supposed to be great peoples and we needed the interior lineman badly.  What did I miss?  I miss some things on the recruiting sometimes because it's just so depressing to follow.  Ever since DGB put on the Mizzou hat I haven't paid nearly as much attention.  About the only time I can remember being upset with CBP.  We were bridesmaid to like 8 high 4/5 stars guys that year. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hollywood hog on December 05, 2016, 10:47:36 pm
I must not know it.  All I knew was that he and his grandparents were supposed to be great peoples and we needed the interior lineman badly.  What did I miss.  I miss some things on the recruiting sometimes because it's just so depressing to follow.  Ever since DGB put on the Mizzou hat I haven't paid nearly as much attention.  About the only time I can remember being upset with CBP.  We were bridesmaid to like 8 high 4/5 stars guys that year.

Like 4 out of his top 5 schools ALL backed off.  I think some people here remember it better than I but he ended up not being able to commit to his top 4 schools or something for some reason.  I want to say out of shape was thrown around as a possibility or grades. I remember even big 12 schools were backing off

jjdlc

He was out of shape, and had a pretty mediocre senior year, so quite a few schools backed off.  I haven't followed him, did he get playing time at Nebraska this year?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: King Kong on November 23, 2016, 02:03:51 pm

Correct

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 23, 2016, 09:55:00 pm

Correct

RazorPiggie

Where was the rated the #1 OG?

Quote from: jjdlc on December 06, 2016, 06:46:54 am
He was out of shape, and had a pretty mediocre senior year, so quite a few schools backed off.  I haven't followed him, did he get playing time at Nebraska this year?

Not on their 2 deep and have 2 RS freshmen playing the guard positions.

Hogdomer

[/

Here is a quote from the outgoing Texas staff from their free message board:

Chris Daniels - "I don't want to say he's a loafer but it's like the light bulb still hasn't come on."

justmakeit2thebcs

Jalin still not on the 2 deep on a very thin OLine at Nebraska.  Are you suggesting CBB doesn't know a good lineman when he see one ?

Oklahawg

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on December 06, 2016, 07:47:14 pm
Jalin still not on the 2 deep on a very thin OLine at Nebraska.  Are you suggesting CBB doesn't know a good lineman when he see one ?

We graciously allowed Jalin to decommit and flip to NU when his senior film was not what we had hoped it would be. So I was told....
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 07, 2016, 12:33:32 pm
We graciously allowed Jalin to decommit and flip to NU when his senior film was not what we had hoped it would be. So I was told....

He never committed, did he?

longpig

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 24, 2016, 09:07:54 am

Brandon Jones? 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Jim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 05, 2016, 10:38:49 pm

No, Arkansas wanted Kyle Porter as well. He was returning punts for Texas this season.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hogdomer

Quote from: Jim Harris on December 07, 2016, 01:11:58 pm
No, Arkansas wanted Kyle Porter as well. He was returning punts for Texas this season.

He also had 46 carries for Texas this year.

whosiskid

The RB we didn't offer at all was Damarea Crockett and he ended up one of the top freshman RBs in the US. I was not excited about him either, but he proved a lot of people wrong. He was the kid who didn't play against Arkansas for Missouri because he was caught with weed. But he did quite well on the field, with over 1,000 yards rushing.

The deal with Daniels was that he thought we were slow playing him. Prior to his senior year in HS he wore Razorback gear to school and was tweeting constantly about the Hogs. He considered himself an  and spent summers instate with his grandparents. He was pretty angry that we didn't pursue him. I think we did slow play him some, but he also seemed to be too prickly.  I think some kids are too quick to let their feelings get hurt.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Oklahawg

Quote from: whosiskid on December 07, 2016, 06:15:51 pm
The RB we didn't offer at all was Damarea Crockett and he ended up one of the top freshman RBs in the US. I was not excited about him either, but he proved a lot of people wrong. He was the kid who didn't play against Arkansas for Missouri because he was caught with weed. But he did quite well on the field, with over 1,000 yards rushing.

The deal with Daniels was that he thought we were slow playing him. Prior to his senior year in HS he wore Razorback gear to school and was tweeting constantly about the Hogs. He considered himself an  and spent summers instate with his grandparents. He was pretty angry that we didn't pursue him. I think we did slow play him some, but he also seemed to be too prickly.  I think some kids are too quick to let their feelings get hurt.

We had a pretty solid DL haul last year. Might be hard for a kid to get that he isn't #1 on the list if you have solid credentials (or a website has you ranked higher).

WooPig90

Quote from: whosiskid on December 07, 2016, 06:15:51 pm

Lol No.

whosiskid

Quote from: WooPig90 on December 08, 2016, 12:02:16 pm
Lol No.

Did you watch him at all this year? He was quite good. I don't  regret not offering him, but you have to be blind to ignore how well he played as a freshman. He didn't play a lot until the second half of the season, but even missing the last game he had 1062 yards rushing (5 100 yard games, one of those a 200 yard game) on 153 carries and 10 TDs. What's LOL about that? By any measure he had a better freshman year than any of running backs we were trying hard to recruit last year. Again, not saying that we should have gone after him; just saying the kid had a very good freshman year and to say otherwise is just . . . well, determined to ignore the obvious. Damarea Crockett had a great freshman year, comparable to the other top freshman backs Benny Snell and Trayveon Williams. Had he played the final game he could well have had the best freshman year of any back. He had a few more yards than Snell without the final game. If he had played the final game he might have been as high as 4th in the SEC in rushing. LOL? Get real.

To clarify yet again, I don't regret that we didn't offer him, but everyone was clearly wrong about whether he was a Division One talent.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

whosiskid

Now Damarea Crockett was named first team All SEC Freshman RB. He in fact was the leading vote getting at the position.

So, more LOL I suppose.

onebadrubi

Quote from: whosiskid on December 10, 2016, 01:48:22 pm
Now Damarea Crockett was named first team All SEC Freshman RB. He in fact was the leading vote getting at the position.

So, more LOL I suppose.

You would never weigh all circumstances for that outcome though would you?  It again doesn't fit an agenda.  You are incapable of posting without agendas shining

jackflash

My question if this staff didn't want him before why would they want him now?

Razorpigg

Quote from: jackflash on December 10, 2016, 02:38:35 pm
My question if this staff didn't want him before why would they want him now?

Make no mistake..This staff wanted Chris Daniels..

razorback44

December 11, 2016, 03:20:22 am #37 Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:33:38 am by razorback44
Quote from: whosiskid on December 10, 2016, 01:48:22 pm

So, more LOL I suppose.

Lol indeed. Crockett wasn't even first team on the freshman team much less the leading vote getter. Benny Snell and Trayveon Williams were the first team All SEC Freshman RBs.

Why would you make something like that up?
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

razorback44

December 11, 2016, 03:21:41 am #38 Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:31:12 am by razorback44
dp
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Letsroll1200

Arkansas staff slow played Chris Daniels. I hope they are developing who they have because the next two seasons is going to be critical.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 13, 2016, 06:06:46 pm
Arkansas staff slow played Chris Daniels. I hope they are developing who they have because the next two seasons is going to be critical.

They liked Agim, Capps, Guidry, and Marshall better. Simple enough. While there wound up being spots available, that was because they had the rug pulled out from underneath on a couple of recruits very late in the game (too late to go back on Daniels).

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 13, 2016, 07:35:09 pm
They liked Agim, Capps, Guidry, and Marshall better. Simple enough. While there wound up being spots available, that was because they had the rug pulled out from underneath on a couple of recruits very late in the game (too late to go back on Daniels).

As much as the defense line struggled this season I would hope the coaching staff plans are to build quality depth. Nothing to do about Daniels but this is becoming a recurrent issue in recruiting.