Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who was the recruit Danny West

Started by Potosihog, November 19, 2016, 05:02:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Potosihog

Was retweeting?  The recruit delegated the tweet. Says he is a Texas QB commit?

https://twitter.com/dannywest1/status/800103636894355456

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

arkansasbred

Not up now.. Anyone know what it said?

ridgehog23

Pig in the Pokey

Charlie is toast. They lost to Kansas.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HoggusMaximus

I feel bad for Charlie, he had to empty the swamp and I think if he was given another season he would be set.

onebadrubi

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on November 19, 2016, 11:29:27 pm
I feel bad for Charlie, he had to empty the swamp and I think if he was given another season he would be set.

I work around some big Texas guys and a small booster, all very level headed when it comes to Texas. Their thoughts are he gets another year.  They however wouldn't mind Herman, they don't think he wants it.  As of this last week they were pretty confident strong gets another year, not sure if Kansas L will change that or not.

That being said, I guarantee you Herman's people are getting a call from some Texas affiliates regardless.  The waters will be tested and questions asked no matter what

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 19, 2016, 11:33:45 pm
I work around some big Texas guys and a small booster, all very level headed when it comes to Texas. Their thoughts are he gets another year.  They however wouldn't mind Herman, they don't think he wants it.  As of this last week they were pretty confident strong gets another year, not sure if Kansas L will change that or not.

That being said, I guarantee you Herman's people are getting a call from some Texas affiliates regardless.  The waters will be tested and questions asked no matter what

I'm in the heart of Austin.  There isn't anything level-headed about this situation.   They have been plotting since right after year 1.

The_Boot_stops_here

I'm sure its a pipe dream but can you imagine landing Charlie to be DC?

jjdlc

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 20, 2016, 06:31:47 am

Biggest issue I see there is I can't imagine him being around long enough to really help much.  Unlike some HCs who go back to being coordinators, he has had success as a head coach, at a P5 school, so even if he does become a DC, it won't be for more than a year, 2 tops.  Don't get me wrong, I think a good DC could make our defense at least serviceable in the first year, but to get really solid is going to take several years.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on November 20, 2016, 06:31:47 am
No. Will protest. Terrible hire. Terrible defensive mind for today's football. Also, too nice of a guy to easily get rid of when he flames out. He might be good if they ever fix the rules that allow video-game-hurry-up-football to the detriment of good defense. Ole Charlie is decent at real man football; not so much vs the spread up tempo modern schemes.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 20, 2016, 11:07:19 am
No. Will protest. Terrible hire. Terrible defensive mind for today's football. Also, too nice of a guy to easily get rid of when he flames out. He might be good if they ever fix the rules that allow video-game-hurry-up-football to the detriment of good defense. Ole Charlie is decent at real man football; not so much vs the spread up tempo modern schemes.
Agree.

lefty08

It's funny a lot of you guys are drooling at the possibility of Strong at DC. All the blame that has been pUT on Bielema for fielding such a weak defense as a defensive head coach apparently doesn't hold the same water when looking at a 5-5 Texas squad. Entertaining..........
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jkstock04

Quote from: lefty08 on November 21, 2016, 07:01:45 am
It's funny a lot of you guys are drooling at the possibility of Strong at DC. All the blame that has been pUT on Bielema for fielding such a weak defense as a defensive head coach apparently doesn't hold the same water when looking at a 5-5 Texas squad. Entertaining..........
It doesn't make any sense. If he is such a great defensive mind and can't field a decent defense at Texas with the constant stream of 4/5 star players?

But he's gonna come to Arkansas in the SEC and turn 2/3 star players into a great defense? That makes zero sense.

I don't like us taking failed rejects from other conferences. That includes recruits.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

onebadrubi

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 21, 2016, 07:20:37 am
It doesn't make any sense. If he is such a great defensive mind and can't field a decent defense at Texas with the constant stream of 4/5 star players?

But he's gonna come to Arkansas in the SEC and turn 2/3 star players into a great defense? That makes zero sense.

I don't like us taking failed rejects from other conferences. That includes recruits.

So just to be clear the. We should fire Enos and you think the Enos hire was a complete bust... Got it

jkstock04

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 21, 2016, 07:47:29 am
So just to be clear the. We should fire Enos and you think the Enos hire was a complete bust... Got it
When did I say anything about firing anybody? This is a conversation about hiring someone.

Also, what were Enos' offenses/qb play like at Central Michigan? Without looking I would wager better than Charlie Strongs defenses at Texas. He has been an absolute nightmare of a hire for them.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

onebadrubi

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 21, 2016, 07:55:27 am
When did I say anything about firing anybody? This is a conversation about hiring someone.

Also, what were Enos' offenses/qb play like at Central Michigan? Without looking I would wager better than Charlie Strongs defenses at Texas. He has been an absolute nightmare of a hire for them.
The role changes from just a cordinator to a head coach can not be easy. Some people make it flawlessly, some don't. I personally don't judge someone head coaching outcomes when looking at cordinator possibilities. For instance, Charlie strong had one of the most dominating defenses at Florida. The guy knows defense.  It appears the Texas job was just too much for him, I'd have to assume there was a political game he didn't like to play as well.

Your last statement was clear, you didn't have to say anything else on your thoughts of coaches like Enos and Rhoads, you know the ones who've done well

trashcan maN

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 21, 2016, 07:55:27 am

We wouldn't be interviewing him for the HC position. We would be talking to him about the DC position, where he has shown an elite aptitude.

Pig in the Pokey

Houston would take him. I wish LSU would :p
@Slackaveli

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: jjdlc on November 20, 2016, 10:29:52 am
Biggest issue I see there is I can't imagine him being around long enough to really help much.  Unlike some HCs who go back to being coordinators, he has had success as a head coach, at a P5 school, so even if he does become a DC, it won't be for more than a year, 2 tops.  Don't get me wrong, I think a good DC could make our defense at least serviceable in the first year, but to get really solid is going to take several years.

He hasn't had any success at a P5 school.. Louisville was in the Big East

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: trashcan maN on November 21, 2016, 07:09:45 pm
We wouldn't be interviewing him for the HC position. We would be talking to him about the DC position, where he has shown an elite aptitude.

Where exactly was this showing?

pigsareflying

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: pigsareflying on November 22, 2016, 12:42:36 pm
University of Florida

A defense full of 5 stars and unlimited talent in his back yard. And every DC that's coached there has had outstanding defenses.

greenie

I'm no advocate of just hiring Strong without really looking around (I'm not even sure that Rob Smith will be moving on), but there are plenty of examples where guys totally flop as a head coach, but excel as a coordinator.  It's a very different job.  Lane Kiffin failed 3 times as a head coach, but has done reasonably well at Bama.  Orgeron is another that might fall in this category.  Even Dan Enos wasn't lighting it up at Central Michigan as a head coach before we hired him, and I would argue that he's been very positive for our program.

Strong's record as a DC is not too bad...as a head coach, Texas was a bit too much for him. 

outlawhogeywells

Quote from: greenie on November 22, 2016, 01:08:22 pm
I'm no advocate of just hiring Strong without really looking around (I'm not even sure that Rob Smith will be moving on), but there are plenty of examples where guys totally flop as a head coach, but excel as a coordinator.  It's a very different job.  Lane Kiffin failed 3 times as a head coach, but has done reasonably well at Bama.  Orgeron is another that might fall in this category.  Even Dan Enos wasn't lighting it up at Central Michigan as a head coach before we hired him, and I would argue that he's been very positive for our program.

Strong's record as a DC is not too bad...as a head coach, Texas was a bit too much for him. 
he did fairly well as a head coach at Louisville

King Kong

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on November 22, 2016, 01:01:14 pm
A defense full of 5 stars and unlimited talent in his back yard. And every DC that's coached there has had outstanding defenses.

South Carolina he had excellent defenses as well. But don't let that stop you from discrediting his resume

greenie

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on November 22, 2016, 04:17:13 pm
he did fairly well as a head coach at Louisville

Yes he did, but I think that was when they were in the Big East...before they joined the ACC.  A little easier to succeed, but you're right, he did a good job as HC at Louisville.  I'm not taking shots at Strong.  I think he's a fine man and a fine coach, but that Texas job is as big as they come. I'm not sure that Charlie was able to surround himself with good assistants, or at least get the best out of the assistants he had, and thus the weight of that program was too much.  Given more time, he might eventually get it right.  The UT crowd has been waiting a long time, however, and their patience is at an end.  They're probably ready to spend more than Phil Knight is ready to spend.

bigcountry27

I like Strong's presence in recruiting. There's no doubt the players love him. He's shown to get top players. We could use his recruiting talents in Texas on both sides of the ball.

greenie

Quote from: bigcountry27 on November 23, 2016, 02:35:24 pm
I like Strong's presence in recruiting. There's no doubt the players love him. He's shown to get top players. We could use his recruiting talents in Texas on both sides of the ball.

I agree. He's been pretty good in both Texas and Florida.  I don't think Rob Smith has closed on many recruits...but that's just anecdotal.  Maybe I'm wrong about Smith.  Regardless, I'm not sure that CBB is going to make a change, and I'm even less sure that Strong would even consider taking a DC job here.

ricepig

Quote from: greenie on November 23, 2016, 03:51:39 pm
I agree. He's been pretty good in both Texas and Florida.  I don't think Rob Smith has closed on many recruits...but that's just anecdotal.  Maybe I'm wrong about Smith.  Regardless, I'm not sure that CBB is going to make a change, and I'm even less sure that Strong would even consider taking a DC job here.

Yeah, I agree with that last part, I doubt Smith leaves, and I'm positive Strong isn't coming.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 21, 2016, 09:20:06 pm
Houston would take him. I wish LSU would :p

Smart money says Herman to LSU, if Jimbo doesn't take it. Too much teasip quicksand in Austin.

lumphog

Quote from: texas tush hog on November 24, 2016, 10:57:37 am
Smart money says Herman to LSU, if Jimbo doesn't take it. Too much teasip quicksand in Austin.
NOPE......Herman is all Texas

presidenthog

Quote from: lumphog on November 24, 2016, 11:47:33 am
NOPE......Herman is all Texas
I agree with this. I feel like all that leak about Herman to lsu is just to get Texas to hurry and pony up.