Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ambergris Caye, Belize ( our home away from home)

Started by BR, August 04, 2015, 07:50:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

We just bought tickets on Southwest $640 cheaper than we have paid on average the last 5 years..... KC to Houston to Belize City

Just an FYI if anyone is thinking about going down to the Islands...   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hankweb

Have had a place here many years and live here part time now. As low as I've seen them in many many years. Although not as strong as it used to be the "Southwest effect" still works. Although Southwest doesn't start service til mid October other airlines are lower already.

McKdaddy

We bought our flights about 6 weeks ago to Belize (technically going to Cayo) before any price drops occurred    >:(   We waited as long as we felt we could, but I watched the various flights/airlines begin to fill up to a point that I gave up waiting on price decreases.  Seats were beginnin to look scarce.   -1 to me
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

LSUFan

Quote from: Hankweb on August 04, 2015, 01:54:54 pm
Have had a place here many years and live here part time now. As low as I've seen them in many many years. Although not as strong as it used to be the "Southwest effect" still works. Although Southwest doesn't start service til mid October other airlines are lower already.
You don't technically own it in fee.

May wanna research what your "ownership" in Belize entitles you to.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

BR

$856.50 Round trip from Kansas City to Houston,Houston to Belize for BOTH of us...   Can't wait till we get to Ambergris Caye again...  See our friends and eat some Lobster...  Listen to Jerry Jeff & Kelly McGuire

Hankweb

August 06, 2015, 02:32:17 pm #5 Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:10:19 pm by Hankweb
Quote from: LSUFan on August 04, 2015, 11:56:41 pm
You don't technically own it in fee.

May wanna research what your "ownership" in Belize entitles you to.

Incorrect. I've owned multiple properties here over the last 20 plus years and am partners with two locals in a construction business (mostly homes). Because Belize is a part of the British Commonwealth the legal system is based on British common law. Maybe your confusion comes from the fact that folks who think about re-sale when investing in property in Belize used to often form an LLC and purchase their property within the company. If you purchase a Belizean company that holds the property you will be subject to only a 3% tax on the value of the purchase price. Until recently if you purchased a property, which is titled in the seller's name, then you would be subject to a transfer tax of 10% on the purchase price over 10,000 dollars... so on sales under corporate ownership the savings on the closing costs were substantial. However, the transfer tax has been dropped to 5 % (the same as Belizian citizens) and the exemption was raised to the first 20,000 dollars of the purchase price. And just fyi...there is no capital gains tax.

LSUFan

Quote from: Hankweb on August 06, 2015, 02:32:17 pm
Incorrect. I've owned multiple properties here over the last 20 plus years and am partners with two locals in a construction business (mostly homes). Because Belize is a part of the British Commonwealth the legal system is based on British common law. Maybe your confusion comes from the fact that folks who think about re-sale when investing in property in Belize used to often form an LLC and purchase their property within the company. If you purchase a Belizean company that holds the property you will be subject to only a 3% tax on the value of the purchase price. Until recently if you purchased a property, which is titled in the seller's name, then you would be subject to a transfer tax of 10% on the purchase price over 10,000 dollars... so on sales under corporate ownership the savings on the closing costs were substantial. However, the transfer tax has been dropped to 5 % (the same as Belizian citizens) and the exemption was raised to the first 20,000 dollars of the purchase price. And just fyi...there is no capital gains tax.
Interesting.

I was just going off what a coworker had told me as he owns a bar and a house down there.

The deals seem to good to be true.

Thanks for the clarification.

As an aside, he has a family living in one part of his house and they take care of it when he is state side.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Hankweb

Quote from: LSUFan on August 06, 2015, 04:03:25 pm
Interesting.

I was just going off what a coworker had told me as he owns a bar and a house down there.

The deals seem to good to be true.

Thanks for the clarification.

As an aside, he has a family living in one part of his house and they take care of it when he is state side.

Real estate transactions are typically pretty straightforward but you do need to be aware...especially if purchasing directly from an individual since there is still a fair amount of leased land that is untitled. You can purchase, and assume someone else's lease, but, you need an attorney or someone to guide you. In general most established realtors don't list or deal with leased land with a few exceptions. As purchaser of someone's lease in Belize you just need to be sure and research whose name is actually on the lease to be sure the person selling is the same person listed on the lease as they're fairly frequently passed along to someone else. Also check the time left and make sure the lease is paid up to date.

BR

August 07, 2015, 08:33:16 am #8 Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 08:27:33 am by BR
I have a ton of friends that own Homes & Business's on Ambergris Caye. Hell all of them now even have Belizan Drivers Licenses... Have some friends now closing on a couple of places on Caye Calker this month... We thought about buying a condo, but it so cheap to just rent one... I like the 3-4's  times a year we go, but not sure I want to do it full time....  Thinking more like Gulf Shores area if I moved south full time... Love it up here in KC, except for Dec-FEB.. It gets freakin cold...

DeltaBoy

The Ugly Uncle is the inside man on this country.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BR

41 Days till Ambergris Caye bound..

BR

11 Days till 3 weeks on the Island

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

BR

Going to be 87 on the Island today

BR

DeltaBoy

Glad your enjoying it and I heard the Seafood is DA BOMB!

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

bplease

We have been checking flights and thinking about going next year. Any specific suggestions on places to stay? Would like to have dive options but would prefer isolation.
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

McKdaddy

Quote from: bplease on February 02, 2016, 08:33:00 am
We have been checking flights and thinking about going next year. Any specific suggestions on places to stay? Would like to have dive options but would prefer isolation.

For isolation we enjoy Cayo Espanto....

http://www.aprivateisland.com/

However, in another thread on here someone felt it was a bit overpriced and better value could be had elsewhere.  Maybe so....admittedly we haven't checked elsewhere.  But Cayo suits our desires.

BR

Been here for 14 days with 8 more to go.. Having a great time..  My liver has disowned me..

bplease

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 02, 2016, 12:54:41 pm
For isolation we enjoy Cayo Espanto....

http://www.aprivateisland.com/

However, in another thread on here someone felt it was a bit overpriced and better value could be had elsewhere.  Maybe so....admittedly we haven't checked elsewhere.  But Cayo suits our desires.
Ah, sweet thanks!

BR Where are you at?
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

BR

We are on North Ambergris Caye, plus we spend time over at Caye Caulker also..   Cook at my friends bar on SuperBowl Sunday every year.. 

BR

A freakin great time was had.......   PLUS Super Bowl Sunday... The World Famous Palapa Bar on Ambergris Caye, San Pedro Belize... My friend Scott owns it, I got to be head chef for the day... We served over 80 plates of Smoked Chicken and 2-300 smoked wings along with a ton of sides. Plus no telling how much other stuff. Had 2-300 people all day long, plus a lot of the Jerry Jeff Walkers Players before the game started.... What a great time... Hell of a smoker, could of cooked 200 chickens at a time with ease, used Coconut Husk & Hulls as of smoke......

BR

Just some of the food I was cooking

DeltaBoy

Dang that looks good.

Hogs run wild

we spent some time in Belize City. the driving/drivers are nuts! the food was very good and the natural beauty is a thing to see.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

oldhawg

BR

Going back for 3 weeks in Feb 2017

BR

Around $400 a person RT from KC

Ugly Uncle

I LOVE Belize.  I miss it so much.  My Dad is still there.  77 yrs. old and still going strong.
Retired Radio Host

BR

https://www.facebook.com/SPtowncouncil/photos/?tab=album&album_id=670323176450075

Ambergris Caye after Hurricane Earl,  a couple of friends lost their Business.

ricepig

Quote from: BR on August 11, 2016, 03:41:10 pm
https://www.facebook.com/SPtowncouncil/photos/?tab=album&album_id=670323176450075

Ambergris Caye after Hurricane Earl,  a couple of friends lost their Business.

I thought of you and this thread when the hurricane hit there. Hopefully all will get back to normal for these folks.

BR

Our beautiful Island 

Jeremy T

Headed to San Pedro in August, cant wait. Looking to snorkel, fishing and maybe get over to the mayan ruins. Any good suggestions on guides for these adventures?

BR

Got 2018 Trip all planned, will be our 7th year on Ambergris Caye

Ugly Uncle

I'm in Belize City tonight.

We've been building a church up near the Mexican border in a little village called San Roman.

Today we went to the Lamanai Mayan ruins.  One a boat through the jungle.  Amazing trip, I highly recommend it.

Tomorrow we are going out to the Cayes for the best snorkeling in the world...except for maybe Australia. 

Been a great trip.  Headed back on Friday.
Retired Radio Host

McKdaddy

Quote from: BR on October 31, 2017, 10:09:00 am
Got 2018 Trip all planned, will be our 7th year on Ambergris Caye

Great, Cayo Espanto is planned for us again....solid relaxation each year.

DeltaBoy

Got the wife healed up and a few more years of college for the kid then we will go.

BR

14 days till Jerry Jeff Walker, Kelly McGuire and Paul Roush shows on the Islands and the famous JJW Picker Band... Plus all the lobster I can eat for 18 days.....

Hog_Fink

looking at checking out Cayo later this spring or summer, then doing my dive instructors on Ambergis or Roatan.

McKdaddy

Quote from: galactivation on January 14, 2018, 10:59:06 am
looking at checking out Cayo later this spring or summer

+1

BR

Sunrise this Morning from my friends place, 2 more days

BR

On Ambergris Caye this morning the Wind is from the Northeast at 10 mph. and our expected high is 80 f.

Oklahawg

Color me jealous!

I can't decide on Costa Rica or Belize. My wife and I continue to have occasional conversations about retiring in Central America.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BR

This morning from our condo

pigture perfect

I lived in BELIZE as a kid. That was 50 years ago. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I don't think of it. Just a little side note, I was, along with my sister, the first white children to ever go to the city of Hopkins. We had to get there by a dug out dorry canoe. Today Hopkins is a tourist trap area. Sigh!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hog_Fink

heading to Toledo & working on a permaculture farm in april. Really excited, looks beautiful

bennyl08

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 01, 2017, 09:07:33 pm
I'm in Belize City tonight.

We've been building a church up near the Mexican border in a little village called San Roman.

Today we went to the Lamanai Mayan ruins.  One a boat through the jungle.  Amazing trip, I highly recommend it.

Tomorrow we are going out to the Cayes for the best snorkeling in the world...except for maybe Australia. 

Been a great trip.  Headed back on Friday.

The GBR is big, but the biodiversity at the Reefs near Belize blows Australia's reefs out of the water, no pun intended.

If you get the chance, I highly recommend a night dive/snorkel. Really spooky and you get to see completely different wildlife.

Regardless, have fun.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

BR