Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those disappointed in the Chavis hire.

Started by Piggfoot, January 18, 2018, 04:08:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

January 18, 2018, 04:08:54 pm Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 04:22:18 pm by Piggfoot
Who would you have preferred in the P5 divisions. Do you really think we could have hired them? Keep in mind records in group of V May not be relevant in P5
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

IronHog

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HogPharmer

Venables. If only we had offered him, he would've taken a job just coaching LBs here.

At least that's what half the people that post here think.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

ALLVOL

I still don't understand why people would think Venables would leave being DC at Clemson to be DC anywhere else? It never made sense and still doesn't.

JIHawg

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 18, 2018, 04:08:54 pm
Who would you have preferred in the P5 divisions. Do you really think we could have hired them? Keep in mind records in group of V May not be relevant in P5

Thanks for the topic.  We've never discussed this before.

PonderinHog

Quote from: JIHawg on January 18, 2018, 04:40:23 pm
Thanks for the topic.  We've never discussed this before.
What do you think about moving to the Big 12 ???

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 18, 2018, 05:11:40 pm

Should we still be playing games in Little Rock?
Retired Radio Host

ricepig

I don't know about that, I'm still working on if Long had to fire Petrino.

swineology

Big 12 will be consumed by conference expansion.

Haven't you heard  ???

Sonofahog

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

PonderinHog

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

HogPharmer

Quote from: ALLVOL on January 18, 2018, 04:37:01 pm
I still don't understand why people would think Venables would leave being DC at Clemson to be DC anywhere else? It never made sense and still doesn't.

It's almost as delusional as thinking Gruden would come coach at your school...

HawgwildinMI

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 18, 2018, 05:26:28 pm
+1 lol

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 18, 2018, 04:08:54 pm

Given the type of offensive scheme we will be running, I was an advocate of Jim Leavitt. But back in December he agreed to remain as the DC at Oregon for an average of a reported 1.7 million p/year. I think he would have been a very good fit and he is a guy who is accustomed to doing more, with lesser recruiting classes. Additionally, his connections in the southeastern part of the U.S., coupled with Morris' Texas connections might have been excellent for us from the standpoint of recruiting. BUT, Leavitt is chomping at the bit for another HC'ing job and had he produced a better than average defense at Arkansas, he might have gotten his wish.

Chavis was and is a good hire, though the back-end of his defensive strategy needs to be shored up. That said, Chavis' thought process about speed and athleticism on defense matches that of Morris just as Leavitt's would have, so we will see how this all shakes out. I wouldn't expect Chavis to turn the SEC football world on its head the first year out of the chutes, but you can probably expect a more dynamic and attacking front 7 from Arkansas this coming season. But we are still going to have to have solid coverage in the back end even if they are helped by more pressure up front.
Go Hogs Go!

IronHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2018, 05:57:31 pm
Given the type of offensive scheme we will be running, I was an advocate of Jim Leavitt. But back in December he agreed to remain as the DC at Oregon for an average of a reported 1.7 million p/year. I think he would have been a very good fit and he is a guy who is accustomed to doing more, with lesser recruiting classes. Additionally, his connections in the southeastern part of the U.S., coupled with Morris' Texas connections might have been excellent for us from the standpoint of recruiting. BUT, Leavitt is chomping at the bit for another HC'ing job and had he produced a better than average defense at Arkansas, he might have gotten his wish.

Chavis was and is a good hire, though the back-end of his defensive strategy needs to be shored up. That said, Chavis' thought process about speed and athleticism on defense matches that of Morris just as Leavitt's would have, so we will see how this all shakes out. I wouldn't expect Chavis to turn the SEC football world on its head the first year out of the chutes, but you can probably expect a more dynamic and attacking front 7 from Arkansas this coming season. But we are still going to have to have solid coverage in the back end even if they are helped by more pressure up front.

I'll be watching with interest to see if he can improve LB play

Specifically filling properly instead of constantly running themselves completely out of plays
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: IronHog on January 18, 2018, 06:18:56 pm

I'll be watching with interest to see if he can improve LB play

Specifically filling properly instead of constantly running themselves completely out of plays

Different strategy up front. I don't think that will be the problem.

I said yesterday in a different thread that it is essentially, try-outs for everyone. If guys can't play the scheme as outlined, they may not be the starters (though they may have been last season) and there could be some surprises come the end of spring ball. We will see in time how all of this shakes out. Right now, no one is a starter and even if there is a published depth chart, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in it. It's a new day. Everyone has to earn their spots and the snaps they get. Personally, I like that process.
Go Hogs Go!

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Al Boarland

I think it was a great name hire. I'm concerned about his success against spread offenses, but everything thing CCM does needs to be about recruiting. I'm of the opinion we can't have the success many want with this roster and recruiting will have to improve a good bit.

Jek Tono Porkins

Compared to the likes of Reggie Herring, Willy Robinson, Paul Haynes, Chris Ash, Robb Smith, and Paul Rhoads, Chavis is a home run hire. He's a bit past his prime of course but I expect that we won't see so many of the boneheaded mistakes we've witnessed over the past few years. He's been coaching defense at a very high level for 20+ years. He knows what he's doing. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. But I don't think Morris realistically could have done much better.

Basically, I don't expect the defense to be world beaters. But I do expect immediate improvement.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

31to6

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2018, 05:57:31 pm
That said, Chavis' thought process about speed and athleticism on defense matches that of Morris just as Leavitt's would have, so we will see how this all shakes out.
This is something that I think folks overlook. Chavis and Morris like similar athletic types. That will help us in recruiting and fitting guys into their best position because the same kind of ATH that Morris wants at WR and RB are the kind of dudes that Chavis wants on his defense.

That gives us a lot of flexibility on "square peg" athletes that everyone knows need to be on the field somewhere but for whom that 'somewhere' wasn't obvious out of HS.

It is not uncommon for the best athlete on a HS team to play both ways and to be pushed toward QB and RB because they are men among boys at that level.

Another advantage of emphasizing speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball is that it should improve special teams play. 320 lb linemen and big "straight-line bruisers" at RB and LB bruisers are pretty useless in kick coverage, for example. What you need is length, speed and agility that is fast and can play fast and who can operate in space (whether that is to evade tackles or to make tackles).

More speed on the roster == a better pool of players to draw ST from.

Al Boarland

Quote from: 31to6 on January 18, 2018, 06:46:56 pm
This is something that I think folks overlook. Chavis and Morris like similar athletic types. That will help us in recruiting and fitting guys into their best position because the same kind of ATH that Morris wants at WR and RB are the kind of dudes that Chavis wants on his defense.

That gives us a lot of flexibility on "square peg" athletes that everyone knows need to be on the field somewhere but for whom that 'somewhere' wasn't obvious out of HS.

It is not uncommon for the best athlete on a HS team to play both ways and to be pushed toward QB and RB because they are men among boys at that level.

Another advantage of emphasizing speed and athleticism on both sides of the ball is that it should improve special teams play. 320 lb linemen and big "straight-line bruisers" at RB and LB bruisers are pretty useless in kick coverage, for example. What you need is length, speed and agility that is fast and can play fast and who can operate in space (whether that is to evade tackles or to make tackles).

More speed on the roster == a better pool of players to draw ST from.

That could also cause a conflict on which side of the ball gets what player. It's not uncommon for that to cause friction.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 18, 2018, 05:19:53 pm
Should we still be playing games in Little Rock?
Quote from: ricepig on January 18, 2018, 05:20:05 pm
I don't know about that, I'm still working on if Long had to fire Petrino.
Quote from: Sonofahog on January 18, 2018, 05:20:49 pm
Fire Nutt
Quote from: HogPharmer on January 18, 2018, 05:25:59 pm
Fire Bert
Each of these topics needs their own forum.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 18, 2018, 06:49:08 pm
That could also cause a conflict on which side of the ball gets what player. It's not uncommon for that to cause friction.

If I were you, I would go for the worst possible scenario. Otherwise, you will have nothing to post about.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2018, 06:55:19 pm
If I were you, I would go for the worst possible scenario. Otherwise, you will have nothing to post about.
The worst possible scenario would be neither side wanting the player.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 18, 2018, 06:52:07 pm
Anthracite, what do y'all think?

IDGAF if we don fuschia jerseys with lime green socks. As long as the players dig it and we win.

The last 5 years have drained me from giving a s*** about pretty much anything that doesn't directly effect a winning product on the field
This is my non-signature signature.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 18, 2018, 07:00:58 pm
IDGAF if we don fuschia jerseys with lime green socks. As long as the players dig it and we win.

The last 5 years have drained me from giving a s*** about pretty much anything that doesn't directly effect a winning product on the field
sorry I asked...

VirginiaHog

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 18, 2018, 07:03:45 pm
sorry I asked...

I really ain't like that.

I'm just sick and tired of losing games we should win.

PonderinHog

PorkSoda

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on January 18, 2018, 07:06:43 pm
I really ain't like that.

I'm just sick and tired of losing games we should win.
lol, just messing with you.  I get it.  its been a long haul getting to CBB year 5 only to realize it was all for naught.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 18, 2018, 07:13:37 pm
lol, just messing with you.  I get it.  its been a long haul getting to CBB year 5 only to realize it was all for naught.

Definitely.

Cult of personality they built around him was very strong.

Hawgzinbowlz

With the evolution of offenses in the SEC during Coach Chavis's career we'll see if he has evolved with these offenses. The number of years he has been in the conference should give him insight and very few, if any, surprises.
With many successful coach's in both the NFL and D5 being older than Coach Chavis it is laughable to state that he is "too old and/or past his prime".
Whether he is a fit at Arkansas or if he has, or can recruit, the players he needs to be successful here remains to be seen...All speculation at this time.
This is a very good hire until it is proven otherwise...I think he will assemble a winning D at Arkansas.

" GO HOGS "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 18, 2018, 06:57:28 pm
The worst possible scenario would be neither side wanting the player.

Then they wouldn't be recruited to begin with, which would render your point, moot.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Quote from: ALLVOL on January 18, 2018, 04:37:01 pm
Especially here, where it would kill his career.

Scheme only goes so far. Gotta have defensive talent that we haven't seen on the Hill since the 70's.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hawgjr

I must have missed a left turn to Albuquerque! ???

Porknoxville

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on January 18, 2018, 06:45:11 pm
Compared to the likes of Reggie Herring, Willy Robinson, Paul Haynes, Chris Ash, Robb Smith, and Paul Rhoads, Chavis is a home run hire. He's a bit past his prime of course but I expect that we won't see so many of the boneheaded mistakes we've witnessed over the past few years. He's been coaching defense at a very high level for 20+ years. He knows what he's doing. Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. But I don't think Morris realistically could have done much better.

Basically, I don't expect the defense to be world beaters. But I do expect immediate improvement.
I like the chavis hire, but you cannot trash herring. Hearing was a great defensive coordinator for us.

Hawgphat

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 18, 2018, 06:52:07 pm
Anthracite, what do y'all think?

I'm a thorough traditionalist.  I very strongly favor the time-honored cardinal red and white.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hawgphat on January 18, 2018, 10:23:39 pm
I'm a thorough traditionalist.  I very strongly favor the time-honored cardinal red and white.
I suppose you think we should have stayed the "cardinals" as well.

Pork Twain

Most just log on here to bitch and troll.  Traditional posters are posting less and less.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

SPAL

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 18, 2018, 07:55:17 pm
Then they wouldn't be recruited to begin with, which would render your point, moot.

That is assuming they get who they want. Sometimes you have to take kids further down your lists. From a character and work ethic perspective they may be a good fit. However, athletically you may have a pretty good idea the kid will never really contribute. You have to fill your class.

Scholarships have to be divided among both sides of the ball. There are often disagreements on the allotment to each side as well as which side gets a versatile player. CCM is a bit green, but handling that situation will be imperative.

Dumb ole famrboy

If going with an older established DC - the inner me was hoping Dick Bumpas would be pulled out of retirement.

Inhogswetrust

Let's get down to the REAL most important topic...................Slobbering Hog.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rzrbaxfan

I just Steven Hill.

But the bigger question is.....who is Robert Shields?

ALLVOL

I agree and laughed at the people who believed his schtick.

DeltaBoy

I pumped to see what Chavis can do for us.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PolishPigPower

Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

hawg66

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 19, 2018, 04:36:30 am

CCM is a bit green, but handling that situation will be imperative.
We brought in a new young pastor at our church a couple of years ago. It was evident almost immediately that he wouldn't need any seasoning for being a leader and having a vision.   I get the same sense about coach Morris. I doubt if anyone on his staff or any of his players will be confused about who's in charge.

I'm sure you'll continue to hold out hope that things go south. It's what you do.