Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The right guy. Good fits across college football

Started by bigpigpimpin, September 16, 2017, 12:26:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpigpimpin

What and who are some of the programs who seem to have been successful because they have found "their guy"? AKA, someone who fits?

Alabama and Saban
Gundy at Okie st.
Dabo at Clemson

Are just a few that come to mind.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

PonderinHog

HogsonHicks

The Hawg Marshal

HogsonHicks

Tusks

The coaches at West Virginia, Michigan State, Stanford, maybe Utah, evidentially whoever is coaching Wiskey, Penn St.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ur

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 16, 2017, 12:26:12 pm
What and who are some of the programs who seem to have been successful because they have found "their guy"? AKA, someone who fits?

Alabama and Saban
Gundy at Okie st.
Dabo at Clemson

Are just a few that come to mind.

There isn't any doubt that Coach Snyder is a perfect fit for K-State. Problem is that he doesn't seem to be able to teach/pass along that brand to any other HC, except maybe his son. Bill Snyder is a perfect example of, "they broke the mold", when it came to him. They will probably be horrible again once he leaves. Until then, best not play them when you aren't prepared.

Pete Carroll was a perfect fit for USC. Laid back, smart, good coach with access to a lot of great talent, but even that ran it's time.

Joe Paterno was also a perfect, blue-collar like HC for Penn State for a long time until some of his staff betrayed him.

Darrell Royal at Texas was a pretty perfect HC for them, even though he was born in Oklahoma and played for OU.

Not dissimilar to Barry Switzer who was born in Crossett, played and coached for Arkansas and ended up at Oklahoma.
Go Hogs Go!

The Hawg Marshal

When a coach wins it sure seems to make the fit better.

Sivad

BroyledNutts

Ohio State and Meyer ...

Strangely enough, Louisville and Petrino - perfect attitude match ...
He may not win enough, but who's a better face for LSU than Orgeron?
Hugh Freeze and SMU ... oh wait, not yet...

Oklahoma and Bob Stoops - two incredibly sized egos just tailor made for each other ...
And I can't believe I'm saying this, and I spit when I do it - Houston Nutt and Arkansas ... two hapless, lovable losers who didn't know they weren't supposed to win...

pigroots

itshogsbaby

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 16, 2017, 03:01:28 pm
Yeah he's such a loser. 8.6 wins a year at arkansas. That's all. 75-48 record. I would take him over bumbling Brett.

10 seasons here.

Average year 7.5 wins to 4.8 losses.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on September 16, 2017, 03:01:28 pm
Yeah he's such a loser. 8.6 wins a year at arkansas. That's all. 75-48 record. I would take him over bumbling Brett.

Exactly ... as much of a greasy baptist preacher/used car salesman as he was, he still was a better fit for Arkansas than Brett has been to date ... and don't try to convince me that Nutt was some world beating Leviathan ... he always won a game he had no business winning, but he also lost one or two he had no business losing, and overall was a marginally successful coach in the SEC at a time before the dramatic rise of the conference.

Now, would I take his marginal success right now over what Brett has done? Sure, who wouldn't ... but not at the price of having the Murray State Mafia back on campus - no way.