Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instability at the top

Started by twistitup, September 15, 2017, 12:14:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Is it just me or has the coaching instability on CBB's staff has now led to an identity crisis for our football program? CBB came in with a plan and identity that seemed to crumble as his first coaching staff crumbled. We have tried to piece things together but the lack of stability in the staff has seemed to negatively impact our player development and possibly player retention....

Could the coaching instability be the core issue? Things have been in a 'transitional' mode in one way or another since CBB arrived and this has players, recruits, the fans, the national media, and others confused on who Arkansas actually IS.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogcard1964

Yea, it's a mess.  We're already aware of our head coaching issues, but now I'm not sure what happened to Enos' play calling and Rhoads' 3-4 looks like horse shart so far.

twistitup

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 15, 2017, 12:17:56 pm
Yea, it's a mess.  We're already aware of our head coaching issues, but now I'm not sure what happened to Enos' play calling and Rhoads' 3-4 looks like horse shart so far.

We look like shart because players are supposed to improve from year to year - but if you have new coaches and schemes every year it's hard to improve - the players are constantly in 'learn' mode...we have not improved yearly under CBB and we also haven't had coaching stability - I believe there is a connection there

Redhogs

Quote from: twistitup on September 15, 2017, 12:20:41 pm
We look like shart because players are supposed to improve from year to year - but if you have new coaches and schemes every year it's hard to improve - the players are constantly in 'learn' mode...we have not improved yearly under CBB and we also haven't had coaching stability - I believe there is a connection there
Except this is Enos's third year and the offense has gone completely backwards, on the other hand, this is Rhoads first year as DC and they look much better...so  far...This is all on Bert.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

twistitup

Quote from: Redhogs on September 15, 2017, 12:32:05 pm
Except this is Enos's third year and the offense has gone completely backwards, on the other hand, this is Rhoads first year as DC and they look much better...so  far...This is all on Bert.

We haven't gotten into SEC play - I wouldn't brag too much on the D....we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down to save our lives against TCU

It's a new D, there will be a learning curve, it's just more of the instability I speak of

PorkRinds

The defense didn't look that bad. You Alabama fans are spoiled by great defense. 

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2017, 12:33:44 pm
The defense didn't look that bad. You Alabama fans are spoiled by great defense. 

Did you look at TCU's 3rd down conversion rate? We couldn't stop them.

No, We didn't look terrible, but that WAS against a finesse TCU team - not anything near SEC talent

forrest city joe

Quote from: twistitup on September 15, 2017, 12:35:34 pm

No, We didn't look terrible, but that WAS against a finesse TCU team - not anything near SEC talent
Not only the 3rd down conversion rate.(Tcu was 10 out of 14)but they ran over us.THEY RAN FOR 195 yards.that is not good defense folks. but the offense being so terrible did not help the D either.

hogcard1964

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2017, 12:33:44 pm

Maybe, but Bama has some holes on their D also.

Which unit from the Hogs looked good on D?

Hog-Corleone

It seems to me that CBB was frustrated with his assistants leaving for other jobs, or better jobs, or higher paying jobs while he was at Whisky.  We "lost" Chaney and have had Enos for three years, we did lose Pittman too.  Losing Chaney should have been a plus.  We let Rob Smith go after last year, and promoted Rhoads to DC.  Rhoads was here last year, so i think there was some continuity there. 

I guess my point is, this staff has been relatively stable over the last couple of years, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  Lack of stability there should not be an excuse or any reason for lack of production. 

On the defensive side, losing Smith, and switching to the 3-4, we could probably say there could be a learning curve.  I am not say the Defense was gangbusters last week, but they outplayed the Offense, and it wasn't close.
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

PorkRinds

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 15, 2017, 12:49:02 pm
Maybe, but Bama has some holes on their D also.

Which unit from the Hogs looked good on D?

The secondary was ok. Safety especially.

hawganatic

The problem on offense isn't the learning curve.  The problem on offense is, we are just a bad football team on offense. 

1.  Poor run blocking (pass blocking seems to be better this year)
2.  Receivers can't get separation
3.  Running backs don't seem to have the improvisational skills they need with the poor run blocking
4.  QB who needs perfect conditions to make a play

If the learning curve on offense is an issue, it's because we don't recruit well enough to have a "next" when players like Drew Morgan and Keon Hatcher move on from the program.

311Hog

Quote from: twistitup on September 15, 2017, 12:14:03 pm
Is it just me or has the coaching instability on CBB's staff has now led to an identity crisis for our football program? CBB came in with a plan and identity that seemed to crumble as his first coaching staff crumbled. We have tried to piece things together but the lack of stability in the staff has seemed to negatively impact our player development and possibly player retention....

Could the coaching instability be the core issue? Things have been in a 'transitional' mode in one way or another since CBB arrived and this has players, recruits, the fans, the national media, and others confused on who Arkansas actually IS.

i think each unit has replaced someone every year. i am sure it isn't helping.  The only real OG people from CBB first year is himself and the strength coach.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 01:56:32 pm
i think each unit has replaced someone every year. i am sure it isn't helping.  The only real OG people from CBB first year is himself and the strength coach.

Lunney.

DeltaBoy

Too much staff turnover.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 15, 2017, 02:02:07 pm
Too much staff turnover.

Happens everywhere. Coaching isn't called a carousel for no reason.

311Hog

PorkRinds

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:04:01 pm
Ah yes, hasn't he moved up though from where he started?

Nope. Still TE coach.

311Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2017, 02:03:23 pm
Happens everywhere. Coaching isn't called a carousel for no reason.

yes it is, but it is very ironic considering isn't that one of the big things CBB came here for?  keeping assistants keeping stability in the coaching staff

PorkRinds

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:04:58 pm
yes it is, but it is very ironic considering isn't that one of the big things CBB came here for?  keeping assistants keeping stability in the coaching staff

It was specifically losing them to higher paying jobs. That's not happening here, so the irony isn't all that ironic.

jkstock04

We go through more coordinators than most teams.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

311Hog

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 15, 2017, 02:06:43 pm
It was specifically losing them to higher paying jobs. That's not happening here, so the irony isn't all that ironic.

i mean that he believed coming into Arkansas that he would be keeping assistants.  Do you think he thought going in that he would have this much turn over even if it is for higher paying jobs in some cases.

I mean Nutt couldn't pay to get rid of assistants the MSM was thick and loyal.  Petrino cycled through them like toilet paper bc he was the true OC and probably didn't even know the DC's name.

twistitup

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:11:16 pm
i mean that he believed coming into Arkansas that he would be keeping assistants.  Do you think he thought going in that he would have this much turn over even if it is for higher paying jobs in some cases.

I mean Nutt couldn't pay to get rid of assistants the MSM was thick and loyal.  Petrino cycled through them like toilet paper bc he was the true OC and probably didn't even know the DC's name.

He thought $$ would keep assistants at AR - he found out that $$ isn't everything.

870hogfan

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 15, 2017, 02:07:40 pm
We go through more coordinators than most teams.

Didn't Bama go through 2 OC's in less than a month?

twistitup

Quote from: 870hogfan on September 15, 2017, 04:04:58 pm

How can you question bama? We are questioning CBB because he has changed coaches and is STILL NOT WINNING on a respectable level...

Winning quiets the doubters - bama wins.

GuvHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 15, 2017, 12:40:13 pm
Not only the 3rd down conversion rate.(Tcu was 10 out of 14)but they ran over us.THEY RAN FOR 195 yards.that is not good defense folks. but the offense being so terrible did not help the D either.

The offense being so terrible is exactly WHY the defense gave up 195 yards rushing. The offense left them on the field all day long.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 04:21:05 pm
The offense being so terrible is exactly WHY the defense gave up 195 yards rushing. The offense left them on the field all day long.

The defense was awful on third down. They didn't help themselves either.

go hogues

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 15, 2017, 12:17:56 pm
Rhoads' 3-4 looks like horse shart so far.
And you expected something else?

Installing the 3-4 was only a tactic to keep the wolves at bay a little bit longer. Had to change the narrative from falling off in 2016 and had to sell 2017 season tickets.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

jkstock04

Im pretty sure that in 4 years time we have gone through something like 2 OCs and 3 DCs. Is that normal among the SEC?

I know that position coaches are constantly recycled...but coordinators im not so sure. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GuvHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 15, 2017, 04:25:52 pm
The defense was awful on third down. They didn't help themselves either.

They weren't awful on 3rd down until they became exhausted from being left on the field too long by the offense.

twistitup

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 04:35:53 pm
They weren't awful on 3rd down until they became exhausted from being left on the field too long by the offense.

all game long

twistitup

Quote from: go hogues on September 15, 2017, 04:26:18 pm

Installing the 3-4 was only a tactic to keep the wolves at bay a little bit longer. Had to change the narrative from falling off in 2016 and had to sell 2017 season tickets.

I actually believe this,  the only way CBB can keep people 'in his corner' is for him to make changes...schemes, coaches, philosophies, etc....it's getting old and we've lost our identity.

We are not getting what CBB promised when he got the job. Stability, experienced teams, superior running game, solid redshirt program, being competitive in the SEC,  etc...

GuvHog

Quote from: twistitup on September 15, 2017, 04:41:24 pm
all game long

They played a lot better than you are giving them credit for. The last 2 TDs TCU scored were not their fault. They played well enough for the Hogs to win that game if they'd had at least a decent offense.

twistitup

Quote from: GuvHog on September 15, 2017, 04:48:10 pm
They played a lot better than you are giving them credit for. The last 2 TDs TCU scored were not their fault. They played well enough for the Hogs to win that game if they'd had at least a decent offence.

I agree.

I give them credit for playing a decent game, but they could not get off the field on 3rd downs. It's a fact, 3rd downs hurt them all game long.

The defense looked much better than the O

bphi11ips

Quote from: twistitup on September 15, 2017, 12:35:34 pm

There's nothing finesse about TCU's offense this year.  Their o-line is bigger than Arkansas's in 2014 and they have 3 power backs.  They ran the ball right at us and that's why they had third and short all day.  Patterson's game plan was to out-Arkansas Arkansas and that's what he did.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

cj_sez

Or is it possible that CBB came in with a plan, based on his previous experience and that plan is simply unworkable in the SEC? And he lacks the basic adaptability to change? He certainly hasn't shown any tendency to make great adjustments in a game. How many half-time leads have we blown when other coaches do make the adjustments?

Tusks

I thought the defense was better but they gave up an 8:00 drive in the first half, they weren't tired like maybe the 2nd half.

It seems like instead of giving up the big play, they're still giving up the yards just at a slower pace.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Porkchop#1

It does seem the staff has been a constantly revolving door of changes.

Wildhog

I hope every coach at Arkansas from now on runs the 3-4.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on September 15, 2017, 06:19:47 pm
I hope every coach at Arkansas from now on runs the 3-4.

No kidding.

Hoginsavga

Which brings up a good point. When you have a top notch head coach they make the OC's look good. It can work in reverse as well.

WaltKowalski

We have a pretty good coaching staff.

twistitup

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 15, 2017, 04:56:08 pm
Patterson's game plan was to out-Arkansas Arkansas and that's what he did.

Arkansas is not Arkansas at the moment - we lack identity

farmhawg

Quote from: 311Hog on September 15, 2017, 02:04:58 pm
Nothing he has said has been true. Do I think he lies? Nope, but he has no clue what the hell he is doing.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HardCore

Quote from: WaltKowalski on September 15, 2017, 07:11:38 pm
We have a pretty good coaching staff.

Except for the 70-0 out scoring in the second half of the last few FBS games due to the inability to make halftime adjustments......sure, they're pretty good ;)
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Porkchop#1

Quote from: farmhawg on September 15, 2017, 08:54:12 pm
Nothing he has said has been true. Do I think he lies? Nope, but he has no clue what the hell he is doing.
Kinda what I've been thinking too.  Nice enough guy though.