Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One thing I do miss about Petrino

Started by WilsonHog, September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm
(And I bring it up because I hope either our current coach can develop it or our next coach has it.)

Attention to detail. I had the opportunity to watch one of our practices, and I saw him sprint 30 yards after a play to rip a player for taking a wrong step. Lou Holtz was also like that; demanding. Intense. Our secondary coach when I was a student was a guy named Rich Olson. I saw Lou stop practice one day to climb all over Olson like he was a piece of playground equipment.

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hoglady

Quote from: ronmahony on September 15, 2017, 09:38:52 pm
That's the thing, I keep waiting for halftime for the B.P. adjustments and we don't ever make them. Even at times when everyone on  hogville, in the stands, the announcers, even the cheerleaders know what is going wrong and needs to be changed. I mean seriously what do they do at halftime? With Bobby I always felt like we had a chance after halftime.

Willie Robinson was probably the DC we've ever had at making half time adjustments.
I know most wanted him gone but we really haven't had better defenses since he left.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

JIHawg

I just think of him shagging that long legged blond and thinking yeah, that's the coach I'm looking for.

Itoldyousohog

I miss the special teams.. We could return one for a touchdown on any punt return or kickoff.. I miss the red zone offense.. Watching Louisville this weekend and he was running form a power formation.. He switched formation until on third down he finally spread it out then touchdown.. He runs the same play from multiple formations.. So he's deadly in the red zone..

I also miss his eye for talent.. Remember how hard our backs ran under him ? Dennis Johnson ran his butt off. Oh and the efficiency of his qb's on the deep route.. Man they hit that deep ball more times than not.. What bothers me more than anything is how the big donors on the hill allowed this guy to be fired.. How did they not know what we had ? Or did they just not care ?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Torqued pork on September 15, 2017, 06:59:21 am
Bielema's recruiting classes have ranked at least as good or better than Petrino's classes and the retention has been better. The differences in the two are that Bobby's teams   didn't lose games they should've won while the expectations continue to be lowered to accommodate Bret.

The obvious difference between the coaching intensity of the two doesn't inspire confidence  that Bret will ever maximize the talent available to him. He often seems like a only slightly interested bystander.

Can we find someone who isn't a morally bankrupt jerk like CBP but coaches the detail?
Saban seems to get the detail and be a jerk but maintain his morals.

At least from afar it seems he does.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 15, 2017, 08:13:58 am
You mean like Joe Adams who was committed to USC before CBP got him to switch. Or are you talking about jarious wright who was headed to tx tech and got him to switch. Or Ryan mallet who was at a different school and he convinced him to transfer.  Add in the other two from warren and that's five total guys from AR who were heavy contributors. It takes more than 5 to make a bcs worthy team so, where did the others come from? 

Think before you disprove your own point. To disparage anything the guy did on the field proves your ignorance

That wasn't my point. My point was those athletes were there. We have not had that many since. Without a cash haul of in-state players could he win in today's West? He generally had no running game and no defense.

Saban learned quickly to bully our WRs at the line and you would shutdown our offense.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Surfing8 on September 15, 2017, 09:00:45 am
I hate Internet cowards who call the posters names, yet don't have the manhood to travel to the Hill and call them out.

Go get'em big fella! You be the man!  8)

I like that nickname "Big Fella". Thanks

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 15, 2017, 09:06:52 am
So now the criterion is who could beat up Bielema?  "Bret would stomp a mudhole in you if y'all sumo wrestled, so your point is invalid." 

Bielema gets paid $4.4 million to be on the big stage, and being critiqued by the fans comes with the territory.  Besides, Stevie Wonder could tell you that he looks like he swallowed a Toyota since he was announced as our coach five years ago.

East, no problem with ththe critiquing. But this one guy has to throw in personal insults. Those are not needed in the critique.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Razorbax on September 15, 2017, 09:08:54 am

I have been pushing that CBB has taken us to unknown heights? Don't think that was me.

And the knock on CBP was his attrition.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Gonzo on September 15, 2017, 09:47:48 am

Two posts and 16 minutes apart. Ironic much?

Go Hogs!

Yep guilty. My bad.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: tbhogfan on September 15, 2017, 09:58:20 am
Bobby up 3-0

Bobby up 63-7

My greatest regret is that I cannot warp time, go back and flatten both tires on his motorcycle.

Now that is funny. True but funny. +1

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Bebop on September 15, 2017, 09:10:21 pm
In my book, Petrino is not a perfect coach but he sure is a lot better than what we have now.

I would get mad at the bend-don't-break defense that we had with Petrino, but it was better than what we had last year with Bielema. I would get mad at the 3rd and Broderick running play being predictable and not working at times, but at least it seems like we had more success in the red zone than with Bielema. I would get made mad at Petrino for not running the ball enough, but at the passing game seemed to make up for it (except Sugar Bowl).

The only thing that is comparable to Petrino and Bielema is the running game, in my opinion. Williams and Collins were a great tandem. Davis and Johnson were also good backs for Petrino.

This I can agree with. Good post

ChitownHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 09:34:09 pm
I guarandamntee I got the manhood to travel to the hill and call him out.....

PRJ

Yes you do. And the record to prove it.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on September 15, 2017, 09:38:18 pm
It's coming...can I count on you being there in your Bret Mascot suit?

PRJ

You really feeling the itch for another trip to the Hill? He was almost in tears at the last presser. Not sure what he would do if you called him out.

ChitownHawg

My apologies to all for the moron comment. I'm better than that. I think.  ;D

Redhogs

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 16, 2017, 06:07:39 am
Now that is funny. True but funny. +1
If and that's a big if,  he beats Clemson tonight, he will once again be one of the hottest coaching names in football..the guy can coach.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: tbhogfan on September 15, 2017, 09:58:20 am
Bobby up 3-0

Bobby up 63-7

My greatest regret is that I cannot warp time, go back and flatten both tires on his motorcycle.

Love it .. true Bobby

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: JIHawg on September 15, 2017, 11:11:03 pm
I just think of him shagging that long legged blond and thinking yeah, that's the coach I'm looking for.

Pervert Alert.!!
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Hogist

Watching gameday this morning and they've spent an absurd amount of time hyping Lamar Jackson and Louisville in spite of the "despicable ethics" of Bobby Petrino... /sarcasm.   :puke:

The Boar War

Quote from: Hogist on September 16, 2017, 09:00:04 am
Watching gameday this morning and they've spent an absurd amount of time hyping Lamar Jackson and Louisville in spite of the "despicable ethics" of Bobby Petrino... /sarcasm.   :puke:

And they're praising Petrino specifically.  "Best play caller in college football".  Well at least Jeff thinks football is "fun again".

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 16, 2017, 06:12:11 am
You really feeling the itch for another trip to the Hill? He was almost in tears at the last presser. Not sure what he would do if you called him out.

Best case scenario for everyone: PRJ "Necks-The-Hell-out", CBB snizaps and "Beats The Breaks Off of Him", and Hogville loses a coach and a poster in one afternoon...

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 16, 2017, 09:09:21 am
Best case scenario for everyone: PRJ "Necks-The-Hell-out", CBB snizaps and "Beats The Breaks Off of Him", and Hogville loses a coach and a poster in one afternoon...

Krispy Kreme ain't quick enough to whip me.

PRJ

RebHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 15, 2017, 05:27:15 am
I hate Internet cowards who call the staff names, yet don't have the manhood to travel to the Hill and call them out.

Go get'em big fella! You be the man!  8)

:puke:

hoglady

Quote from: Hogist on September 16, 2017, 09:00:04 am

As much as I will pulling for Louisville - I just don't think they've got enough to beat Clemson.
That freshman center for Louisville is fixing to get thrown into the fire tonight - it'll be interesting to see how he responds. I expect Louisville to really struggle handling Clemson's dline.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hoglady

What Petrino's done with Jackson is probably his best coaching job to date.
He took a 3 star dual threat QB who couldn't pass very well and developed him into a Heisman winner.
Of course, Jackson took the coaching and worked his rear off to get better.

Hoggish1

The one sure thing any coach can do is get really pissed.  I'm still waiting to see this on the sidelines from CBB.  You know the cameras will catch it if he ever goes off.  Come on Bret, let it go—the players want to see it too...!