Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One thing I do miss about Petrino

Started by WilsonHog, September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

(And I bring it up because I hope either our current coach can develop it or our next coach has it.)

Attention to detail. I had the opportunity to watch one of our practices, and I saw him sprint 30 yards after a play to rip a player for taking a wrong step. Lou Holtz was also like that; demanding. Intense. Our secondary coach when I was a student was a guy named Rich Olson. I saw Lou stop practice one day to climb all over Olson like he was a piece of playground equipment.

hawgon

I've been screaming this for years.  It is what makes a coach great and is pretty much the only thing that makes a coach great.

WilsonHog

When he was at Notre Dame, Holtz had a receiver named Pat Terrell. Great athlete, terrible hands. Tony Rice threw Terrell a pass in practice one day that was dropped. Holtz never said a word to Terrell. Instead, he walked up to Rice, stuck his finger in Rice's chest, and said, "That's your fault for throwing him the ball. I don't care if Terrell is so open you could walk over and hand him the ball. If he's your only option, throw the damn ball away."

Terrell subsequently became one helluva fine DB for the Irish.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgon

Bert's habit of crapping the bed early, means that almost all of our games are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 07:34:40 pm
(And I bring it up because I hope either our current coach can develop it or our next coach has it.)

Attention to detail. I had the opportunity to watch one of our practices, and I saw him sprint 30 yards after a play to rip a player for taking a wrong step. Lou Holtz was also like that; demanding. Intense. Our secondary coach when I was a student was a guy named Rich Olson. I saw Lou stop practice one day to climb all over Olson like he was a piece of playground equipment.

Yea paying attention to detail just cause it's in their DNA, not because we already lost due to a lack of attention to that detail.

Calling All Hogs

I miss the little things like winning although I now know there are more important things.

Swestwill66

rhames

I remember always making sure to watch his coach's show.

I've never seen Bret's coaching show.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hawgon

One detail that I would like corch to pay attention to, is that the season always starts around the first weekend in September not a month later.

BigBrandonAllenFan

September 14, 2017, 08:02:29 pm #10 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:12:42 pm by BigBrandonAllenFan
I had the opportunity to watch one of our practices, and I saw him [Petrino] sprint 30 yards after a play to rip a player for taking a wrong step. Lou Holtz was also like that;.

That is an unfair comparison.

Beilema would fall over from a heart attack if he tried to sprint 30 yards.

Swestwill66

Knowing we had a chance against anybody

ImHogginIt

lasthog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 14, 2017, 07:47:06 pm
I miss playing in meaningful games.

Yeah, but since so many of our opponents are ranked, we will still make Sports Center, probably when we had rather not be.

hawgon

Quote from: lasthog on September 14, 2017, 08:05:11 pm
Yeah, but since so many of our opponents are ranked, we will still make Sports Center, probably when we had rather not be.

We sure seem to make every highlight reel.

Swestwill66

BOBBY fired up on the sideline during the game. No dumb founded looks.

Sed76

I miss the halftime adjustments. Remember that A&M game in 2011 where we were getting beat handily in the first half. Petrino went off in the locker room and we came back to win that game. Can't see that happening under this coaching staff.

The OTR

Practice would be over by the time CBB ran 30 yards. 

I used to call Petrino old stone face.  Never showed any emotion on he sideline.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 14, 2017, 08:03:18 pm
Knowing we had a chance against anybody

A bit of romanticizing. We didn't always. Part of the Legend of BP edited. 

But I will agree with Wilson.  He was a micromanager of his program. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 14, 2017, 08:13:28 pm
Practice would be over by the time CBB ran 30 yards. 

I used to call Petrino old stone face.  Never showed any emotion on he sideline.

Either stone face or this

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Sed76 on September 14, 2017, 08:12:55 pm
I miss the halftime adjustments. Remember that A&M game in 2011 where we were getting beat handily in the first half. Petrino went off in the locker room and we came back to win that game. Can't see that happening under this coaching staff.
The getting beat handily part I can see easy enough.  But no, sadly, Coach B is not going to out scheme or out coach too many folks.

EastexHawg

What I miss most is that he was five times the football coach Bielema is, or any other coach we have had since joining the SEC for that matter.

Swestwill66

When we played Bama or Auburn I knew we had a chance to win those games because of who we were not like now hoping they are down so we might have a chance

Iwastherein1969

Just find one of Bobby Petrino's coaches shows while he was at Arkansas and watch him break down film. The man was/is a savant of football. He may have other problems but there is not a better football mind in the college game today. Basically Long fired an A student and brought in a guy who wrote him a nice hand-written letter. You see where our program has gone and I think CBB is doing his dead-level best. This is what is sad.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

JaketheSnake

I miss the wins. 

I also miss the times that every thread in MMQB didnt morph into lost lovers of Bobby P.

He was a great coach and I love winning.  He's not here anymore and the fanbase needs to quit being the girlfriend that cannt get over him.

hoghearted

It's really obvious.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Nosboar Accubond

The OTR

I used to think Cbb would finish in the middle of the pack in the forty yard dash among sec coaches.  I believe he'd finish last today.  Wonder who would be first?  I'd say Saban.  If he knew there was going to be a race he'd train like an Olympian for it. 

The OTR

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 08:25:07 pm
I miss the wins. 

I also miss the times that every thread in MMQB didnt morph into lost lovers of Bobby P.

He was a great coach and I love winning.  He's not here anymore and the fanbase needs to quit being the girlfriend that cannt get over him.
take it up with Wilson, he started the thread...your chronic case of priapism directed at Bobby Petrino has become annoying at best, sickening at worst

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 08:29:29 pm
take it up with Wilson, he started the thread...your chronic case of priapism directed at Bobby Petrino has become annoying at best, sickening at worst
I'm not sure you are using those fancy words correctly.

Sickening?  To say that our fans have an obsession with a former coach? That you talk about and defend at every corner? 

Okay.

ImHogginIt

I miss the wins. 

Well we now have a dumb fat wife that will cost us a fortune when we file for divorce. All we have left is our fantasies and memories of lost love.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 14, 2017, 08:28:35 pm
He was and is a world class hothead.
do you hear the national media blasting Petrino for making mistakes ? rhetorical question, Farley...no they don't, oh you'll get the occasional article on what a bad person Petrino is, but by and large the national media along with the fans of college football have moved on...all we had to do, and remember, this was the off season, was to wait it out, let Long punish Petrino in a reasonable manner and sojourn forward...the football world wouldn't have cared less....but oh no, we had to fly off the handle and run off the best coach since JFB because he was banging his hired helper...far worse has been done, see Rick Pitino, who keeps winning ironically at the same institution Petrino does, UL...anyway, Long jumped the shark and now we are left with a coach who will never do better than 8-4...enjoy this 4-8 season, folks

hawgon

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 14, 2017, 08:37:04 pm
Well we now have a dumb fat wife that will cost us a fortune when we file for divorce. All we have left is our fantasies and memories of lost love.

I mean, when you had a girlfriend who was THAT hot...

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 08:35:54 pm
I'm not sure you are using those fancy words correctly.

Sickening?  To say that our fans have an obsession with a former coach? That you talk about and defend at every corner? 

Okay.
yeah, I like winning, I like it a lot...I have no obsession with a former coach and trust me, Jed Clampett, I'm using those fancy words quite correctly

factchecker

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 14, 2017, 08:20:48 pm
When we played Bama or Auburn I knew we had a chance to win those games because of who we were not like now hoping they are down so we might have a chance

Get him hawgon..... here is another low post-count poster.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ImHogginIt on September 14, 2017, 08:37:04 pm
No arguments with that.  Just lots of people talking about their spank bank.

hawgon

Quote from: factchecker on September 14, 2017, 08:40:40 pm
Get him hawgon..... here is another low post-count poster.

He's fine.  I read his application.

hawgon

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 14, 2017, 08:41:18 pm
No arguments with that.  Just lots of people talking about their spank bank.

It ain't a real spank bank unless you shed a little tear when you use it.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 08:39:46 pm
yeah, I like winning, I like it a lot...I have no obsession with a former coach and trust me, Jed Clampett, I'm using those fancy words quite correctly
Sure you are Guv.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 08:42:21 pm
It ain't a real spank bank unless you shed a little tear when you use it.
I may have LOLed just a little.

lakecityhog

I miss the game planning to take advantage of weak spots of the opponent.

Swestwill66

If I don't post alot I'm not supposed to post at all?

factchecker

Quote from: Swestwill66 on September 14, 2017, 09:01:15 pm
If I don't post alot I'm not supposed to post at all?

You're fine.  Just a joke about hawgon claiming the BAC is sending secret agents to hogville:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=637446.0
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Gonzo

I miss the wins. 

I'm not sure which I think is worse, the lovelorn that can't let go of the dream or the jilted that can't let go of the hate. Both sides hang on his every move and every mention, both with an equal, and irrational, bias.

Go Hogs!

Porkchop#1

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 14, 2017, 08:21:07 pm
Just find one of Bobby Petrino's coaches shows while he was at Arkansas and watch him break down film. The man was/is a savant of football. He may have other problems but there is not a better football mind in the college game today. Basically Long fired an A student and brought in a guy who wrote him a nice hand-written letter. You see where our program has gone and I think CBB is doing his dead-level best. This is what is sad.
Okay ..so Coach Petrino was really good at all that football type stuff, and admittedly Coach Bielema doesn't really go for all that kind of jazz.

You have to admit the flip flops and reggae music make for a nice, relaxed environment around the BAC.

Swestwill66

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 14, 2017, 08:19:27 pm
What I miss most is that he was five times the football coach Bielema is, or any other coach we have had since joining the SEC for that matter.
absolutely true.  When it came time for other SEC opponents to face Arkansas, they had to scheme and account for Bobby's offense and great play calling.  It made the opponent have to game plan for us.   Now, it seems they simply stack the box to stop the run and based on TCU game, they can rush 3, get pressure on the QB and cover everyone who goes out for a pass.  They arent too worried about what we do and apparently we dont make any adjustments so whatever our opponent sees at the beginning of the game is about what they have to deal with the whole game.  Petrino didnt roll like that.

And as far as emotion on the sidelines goes, plenty of times you would see Bobby get mad and start yelling.   He let his players know when they messed up and I bet it helped them to NOT mess up again. They didnt want to hear BP up in their tail end again. 

BB just strolls up and down the sideline never really showing any emotion at all.  Saban get hot and gets in his assistant coaches ar$es even when they are up 40 pts in the 4th quarter.  The man is ALWAYS coaching and watching everything.

Coach Flip Flops may just be too laid back to be successful on an SEC level.  Might can do it in the Mountain West or WAC or The American,but not in the SEC. 

hawgon

Now, now you heard Bert say in his PC yesterday that he doesn't like to get on his players because lots of them have tough backgrounds.