Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why the Hogs are in a tailspin - and can they pull out?

Started by Biggus Piggus, September 14, 2017, 02:40:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

The TCU game was a complete cluster that no one should call "anticipated" or "a good loss." We may never know how Arkansas matched up against the Horned Frogs, because the offensive/special teams player rotations were so poorly executed. One thing is certain: The groupings this coaching staff sent out there were overmatched.

It's always something with Bret Bielema's teams. In 2014, the Hogs played close with Auburn for a half, then collapsed in misery; blew the lead vs. A&M; didn't show up for the first half vs. Georgia in LR; blew the Missouri game because of Bielema's refusal to play the backup QB.

In 2015, Arkansas scored 12 friggin' points and lost to Toledo in LR; got shelled by Texas Tech at home; and blew another A&M game.

In 2016, the Razorbacks had a real chance against the Aggies and got stoned over and over in the red zone; didn't even show up for Auburn; and absolutely wasted sure wins in the Missouri and Va Tech games.

Already in 2017, we have a 7-point showing in our home opener against TCU.

Ordinarily, my concern would be whether this coaching staff can ever assemble enough talent to make a smooth run through the schedule - prepared well for each game, no glaring holes, no impossible matchups.

Now I'm worried that this coaching staff is incapable of putting any assemblage of talent on a consistent path. We have seen too many "WTHF" moments in the past few games -- one absolutely must have serious concerns about what is going on inside the team. That should not even be up for debate.

I am not looking for an explanation of what happened in TCU preparation and game execution. No answer would be good enough. All I want to know is what comes next. Does the AED bring the Hogs back to life? Or are they already dead?

The chain of events (which should include that lackluster game against FA&M) suggests that we are on the verge of a disastrous football season. Last Saturday revealed a complete failure of leadership in two phases of the game. I could blame Bret Bielema in one way -- he is not adding enough to his own team. Bielema has delegated too much, so he has too little control when the team needs it. If the head coach must rush in and make changes after a collapse, his failure began with allowing problems to build without intervention.

This bastardized way Bielema assembled his coaching staff is a major part of the problem. These offensive assistants do not naturally fit together. Kurt Anderson does not fit with Dan Enos's style. The RB coach does not fit Bielema's style. The WR coach is caught in a tug-of-war between Bielema and Enos. And who knows how well the TE coach fits, coaching-wise. The TEs also seem to be pulled between styles, leaving shortcomings in blocking and receiving.

Arkansas's got to decide what kind of offense this is going to be. "Pro-style" is just a label. In preparation, the offense has been unfocused, trying foolishly to bring everything along as the season unfolds. "Peak at the right time." Way too many moving parts this time around. Just because you have a senior quarterback doesn't mean the rest of the roster can handle the complexity.

We're at the moment of "wretched underuse of available resources." Last Saturday was an organizational disaster. The player rotation favored experience, but that did not result in fewer mistakes, or greater efficiency, or anything good whatsoever. You had pluggers getting beaten by a better-prepared opponent that was more talented because Arkansas chose to be less talented than it could have been.

This reminds me of the 2001 season, when Arkansas started 1-3 and should have been 0-4, shifted to panic mode and got the best talent onto the field regardless of experience. Sometimes, the philosophy of slowly working new players into the lineup predestines failure. If the developmental players do not develop, they are not going to magically rise up in games.

It is ridiculous that Reggie Mitchell - not Enos or Bielema - had authority over the running back rotation. Who in blue blazes came up with that idea? It is freaking insane. Bielema was beside himself after the game, being unable to explain the RB rotation against the Frogs. So who decides which WRs and TEs play? Do you think Bobby Petrino ever ceded player-rotation control to anybody? Holy crap.

Authority on this team has been too diffuse. Bielema does not have enough control of anything. His only chance is to retake some control of his team, so he's in a position to do something when it needs to be done. Right now, he's a grossly overpaid bystander, wondering WTHF with the rest of us.
[CENSORED]!

swineology

Good post Biggus

Too many WTH moments on the sideline. Can CBB not got to Enos and say, we need more Hayden.

hogsanity

Actually the 1st 2 games reminded me of 2012. A lack luster performance in a fcs opener, although a better fcs team by far than famu, then the loss to ULM.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Peter Porker

I was under the impression that the position coaches decide who goes in. I thought that was SOP. I find it hard that the head coach decides who rotates at all positions on the field. Do you think he should be involved in who goes in on the defensive line? WR? TE?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on September 14, 2017, 02:47:19 pm
Actually the 1st 2 games reminded me of 2012. A lack luster performance in a fcs opener, although a better fcs team by far than famu, then the loss to ULM.

Losing to TCU is not losing to ULM.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: Peter Porker on September 14, 2017, 02:48:25 pm
I was under the impression that the position coaches decide who goes in. I thought that was SOP. I find it hard that the head coach decides who rotates at all positions on the field. Do you think he should be involved in who goes in on the defensive line? WR? TE?

Absolutely he should. He should have an answer to why chase hayden didn't play more that isn't "I don't know. "

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

DoctorSusscrofa

One poster claims it's obvious BB is meddling too much. Another claims it's obvious BB has ceded too much control and can only recover if he takes control. I love posters stating the "obvious."
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hawgon

Yo man, control be like all hard and darn.  Bert might have to get to the Broyles Complex early and stay late.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rhames

ZERO

I'd say Toledo was more like ULM. Let's hope our ULM doesn't come this year.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

hawg66

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 14, 2017, 02:54:43 pm
One poster claims it's obvious BB is meddling too much. Another claims it's obvious BB has ceded too much control and can only recover if he takes control. I love posters stating the "obvious."
Classic Hogville lol. Maybe they should get on the same thread and settle this thing so the rest of us know what to think.

WilsonHog

Last year we heard that there were problems inside the team that couldn't be fixed until after the season ended. Looks like now that has been extended to games.

It's not like Enos or Mitchell are holed up in a cave somewhere. Were I Bielema, at some point during the game last Saturday I would have said something like, "Can one of you sumbitches explain to me why the SEC freshman of the week has touched the ball twice, and why we're only using TJ Hammonds as a decoy?"

hawgon

Bert IS NOT flexible.  There are never any in game adjustments whatsoever.  None, ever.  And there are really no adjustments from game to game unless there is an off week.  He is so methodical.

This stands in stark contrast to the Petrino years where they might scrap an entire densive game plan at halftime and come out playing something completely different in the second half(A&M).  Heck even Nutt would occasionally come out with some sort of zaniness that might or might not be successful.

Bert reminds me of a deer hunter who hunts the same stand season after season without even seeing a deer most of the time because well...he just doesn't know anywhere else to hunt and besides, he probably wouldn't see any deer there either. 

wildturkey8

My biggest fear is that our talent level is worse than 2013, if it is not it is being badly mismanaged.

jst01

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2017, 02:40:19 pm

Authority on this team has been too diffuse. Bielema does not have enough control of anything.

I think you are on to something with this. Makes a lot of sense.

IronHog

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 03:15:51 pm
Bert IS NOT flexible.  There are never any in game adjustments whatsoever.  None, ever.  And there are really no adjustments from game to game unless there is an off week.  He is so methodical.

This stands in stark contrast to the Petrino years where they might scrap an entire densive game plan at halftime and come out playing something completely different in the second half(A&M).  Heck even Nutt would occasionally come out with some sort of zaniness that might or might not be successful.

Bert reminds me of a deer hunter who hunts the same stand season after season without even seeing a deer most of the time because well...he just doesn't know anywhere else to hunt and besides, he probably wouldn't see any deer there either. 

Sugar Bowl

1st half defense was Swiss cheese

Bobby goes in at half scribbles on chalk board and they break Pryor's ankle
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: jst01 on September 14, 2017, 03:26:17 pm

Wrong

He plays favorites and runs off minor problems instead of fixing them

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Porkchop#1

So basically all Bert does is meet with the press after the loss?  For freakin 4 million per?  With a billion dollar early buyout?

HognotinMemphis

Should not have been anticipated? Then you go on to list multiple games from each of Bert's first 4 seasons that were colossal F ups by coaching staff. If you pay attention in the least, you would have not only anticipated it, but would have predicted it...as both Lanny and I did. Ask Lanny.

I predicted a 6-6 season with a loss to TCU. In TCU prediction thread, I said TCU would win 20-14. It was 14-7 with 2 missed slam dunk FG's by Ark with 2:30 left in game. I figured our offense would be shut down by TCU's fast D (our offense is slow everywhere...line, TE's, QB, RB, WR) and would not score more than a couple of TD's. I further figured that our top 3 worst in history of Arkansas football from last year would be only marginally better than last year. They were marginally better than last year, giving up only 21 points to a decent team.

Our talent is mediocre. Our coaching staff is, subjectively, less than mediocre for some of the reasons you point out plus others.

All of what you list from previous 4 seasons and Long still gives this worst in the history of Arkansas football head coach a $15 million buyout for this year.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

brandon

I agree with a lot of this. It's hard to pin down what the problem is as a fan and what Bielema needs to do differently but we seem to get out coached badly early in the year and then we adjust and the team looks better.

I feel like Bielema at his very best will still be like Les at LSU and find a way to lose a couple games every year no matter the talent.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: wildturkey8 on September 14, 2017, 03:20:45 pm
My biggest fear is that our talent level is worse than 2013, if it is not it is being badly mismanaged.
Far worse than 2013.   Depth was much better then too.

razorbackfaninar

"We're at the moment of "wretched underuse of available resources."

This is what I have been feeling as well, that we are under-using or mismanaging some talented players.  I also can't understand how Enos Can call plays without having the authority to say who is in or out on a specific play. i mean you wouldn't call the same type of running play for Chase Hayden as you would for David Williams so Does Enos wait until he sees who is in before deciding what play to call?  That might be typical but I just never heard of that before.

idochog

Put the best dang talent on the field and call plays for them.  And by all means, quit tipping run vs pass by substitution patterns (that is the BS that nutt used to do).

And freaking call screen passes to the tailbacks and try to get them the ball in space.  Quit trying to make the TE's allstars.  Gamebreakers are always your speed guys
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 14, 2017, 03:36:22 pm
Should not have been anticipated? Then you go on to list multiple games from each of Bert's first 4 seasons that were colossal F ups by coaching staff. If you pay attention in the least, you would have not only anticipated it, but would have predicted it...as both Lanny and I did. Ask Lanny.

You might be that pessimistic, but nobody should say it was an acceptable outcome based on the available players. Never. But please, tell us about all those times you were overly pessimistic, too.
[CENSORED]!

hawgon

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2017, 03:47:30 pm
You might be that pessimistic, but nobody should say it was an acceptable outcome based on the available players. Never. But please, tell us about all those times you were overly pessimistic, too.

It's not acceptable and that is why so many of us have down on this guy since that first season.  The same mistakes, problems, and screw ups have been happening from the start and he has done nothing to fix them. 

If you wanted to be optimistic in the first year or two that they would change, that was an option.  But after five years, it is unreasonable and naive at best to think things get better.  And if SOMEHOW he does manage to fix some things, it should almost make you madder that it had to come to this point before he pulled his head out of his arse than if he never had.

IronHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 14, 2017, 03:47:30 pm

Arkansas has sufficient physical talent on campus to beat TCU 8/10 games

Piggfoot

One would think there would be communication between the position coaches and the coordinators and based on that the coordinator would be the one determining which players to use for the play that is called.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

jst01

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 14, 2017, 04:15:11 pm
One would think there would be communication between the position coaches and the coordinators and based on that the coordinator would be the one determining which players to use for the play that is called.

right?! what kind of world is this staff in??  It's like Enos calls a speed stretch play and the RB coach says "oh I don't have the fast guy in there... can you call a different play with the slower RB?"

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogdomer

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 03:09:26 pm
Last year we heard that there were problems inside the team that couldn't be fixed until after the season ended. Looks like now that has been extended to games.

It's not like Enos or Mitchell are holed up in a cave somewhere. Were I Bielema, at some point during the game last Saturday I would have said something like, "Can one of you sumbitches explain to me why the SEC freshman of the week has touched the ball twice, and why we're only using TJ Hammonds as a decoy?"

Yes.  Right now Whaley is the fourth best RB on the team unless we are going to start spreading things out and throwing every play, then he can block.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 03:26:23 pm

Sugar Bowl

Terrelle Pryor attempted 19 passes in first half.  Only 6 in the second.  Tressel shut it down and it almost cost him. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 14, 2017, 03:09:26 pm

Hayden didn't look very good on those two carries.  Decided to not go through the hole on one of the runs and pick up yardage.  Instead misjudged the level he was playing against and tried to cut back like he had done against FAMU and got nowhere.  Now I would have given him more chances.  Only way he will learn and he is one of our few big play speed threats. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: rhames on September 14, 2017, 02:50:15 pm

Absolutely he should. He should have an answer to why chase hayden didn't play more that isn't "I don't know. "

its a silly question to ask in the first place.  he did nothing on his carries.  against FAMU he was faster and made a lot of exellent plays.   against TCU he was not faster and did nothing with his plays.  David Williams to me did the best and got the majority of carries.  its not always going to be the same player that stands out every game. 

look at the petrino years when we had 4 very good receivers.  every game was different every game saw a new stand out. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: jst01 on September 14, 2017, 03:26:17 pm
The only control Bielema seems to have is whether to kick a FG or go for it. Obviously he can't get that right. He's so hard headed. After missing the first CBB as stubborn as he is makes the same dumb decision again with same result. The story of his tenure at Arkansas. He needs to get busy motivating on the sidelines at the very least.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hog N Bama

Quote from: hawgon on September 14, 2017, 03:15:51 pm

Right on!

IronHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 14, 2017, 04:23:29 pm
Terrelle Pryor attempted 19 passes in first half.  Only 6 in the second.  Tressel shut it down and it almost cost him. 

He'd been carted off if he tried 10+ passes in second half.....

toxichog

I'd say we have about as good a chance of beating Texas A&M as we did of beating Florida last year, after the Auburn debacle.

Athog

Quote from: swineology on September 14, 2017, 02:45:50 pm
Good post Biggus

Too many WTH moments on the sideline. Can CBB not got to Enos and say, we need more Hayden.

Need better play calls and blocking.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 14, 2017, 04:29:04 pm
its a silly question to ask in the first place.  he did nothing on his carries.  against FAMU he was faster and made a lot of exellent plays.   against TCU he was not faster and did nothing with his plays.  David Williams to me did the best and got the majority of carries.  its not always going to be the same player that stands out every game. 

look at the petrino years when we had 4 very good receivers.  every game was different every game saw a new stand out. 

He had two carries, two. Pull the kid aside and remind him to follow his blockers instead of benching him the rest of the game.

Boarcephus

Quote from: IronHog on September 14, 2017, 03:26:23 pm

Sugar Bowl

Regardless of what you think about him, Petrino scared the crap out of players and coaches alike.  They played and coached hard because they were afraid of him.  Some coaches prefer the carrot while Petrino had rather use the club and all he's done on the collegiate level is be successful. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

rhames

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 14, 2017, 04:29:04 pm

It wasn't a silly question. The kid got 2 carries. 2.

It was a silly answer however.

Big Daddy

Unfortunately it's too late for Bret. He based his road to success here on recruiting players others in the SEC didn't want and then develop them over 4-5 years. He made a critical mistake when he misevaluated on too many "projects".
Next coach will bring in a spread offense and faster defensive players like a TCU.

PorkSoda

Quote from: rhames on September 14, 2017, 06:29:03 pm

It wasn't a silly question. The kid got 2 carries. 2.

It was a silly answer however.
and the other running backs did better with their carries.  Hayden didn't miss 2 field goals.  Hayden didn't give up a bazillion rushing yards.  Hayden or the lack there of was not why we lost.

Hayden had 2 attempts for minus 1 yard.  that doesn't scream "give this guy more carries"

David williams got 6.5 yards per carry.  that does say "give this guy more carries"

it was an easy decision
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

IronHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 14, 2017, 06:28:48 pm
Regardless of what you think about him, Petrino scared the crap out of players and coaches alike.  They played and coached hard because they were afraid of him.  Some coaches prefer the carrot while Petrino had rather use the club and all he's done on the collegiate level is be successful. 

Not fear.....respect

Respect of the fact you do what the man says and you can win.

And a lack of drama.  You earned your spot under BP you were rewarded on the field.  Players love that.

rhames

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 14, 2017, 06:35:06 pm
and the other running backs did better with their carries.  Hayden didn't miss 2 field goals.  Hayden didn't give up a bazillion rushing yards.  Hayden or the lack there of was not why we lost.

At what point did I say that cost us the game? I'm saying the head coach should have a better answer than "I don't know" when asked why a kid didn't get carries.

You can't say, and really it was just Williams, that the other backs did better. Well yeah. They had more than  2 carries.

rhames

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 14, 2017, 06:35:06 pm

Hayden had 2 attempts for minus 1 yard.  that doesn't scream "give this guy more carries"

David williams got 6.5 yards per carry.  that does say "give this guy more carries"

it was an easy decision

How many carries did Williams have? 

You are literally missing the point I'm making.

I'll dumb it down for you. A head coach should never "Not know" why a player didn't play.  He also said they need to involve him more. So  Bret actually doesn't agree with what your inferring.