Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hire Kevin Sumlin

Started by 903hog, November 05, 2017, 09:58:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

903hog

Tenure at Texas A&M:

Texas A&M Aggies (Southeastern Conference) (2012–present)
2012   Texas A&M   11–2   6–2   T–2nd (Western)   W Cotton   5   5
2013   Texas A&M   9–4   4–4   4th (Western)   W Chick-fil-A   18   18
2014   Texas A&M   8–5   3–5   6th (Western)   W Liberty      
2015   Texas A&M   8–5   4–4   T–5th (Western)   L Music City      
2016   Texas A&M   8–5   4–4   4th (Western)   L Texas      
2017   Texas A&M   5–4   3–3   (Western)         
Texas A&M:   49–25   24–22   

East Clintwood

It would be an upgrade but not an upgrade I'd really want.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

The Hawg Marshal

urkillnmesmalls

Is this a joke?  They have had outstanding recruiting classes, but have little to show for it after Manziel's tenure.  I would argue that he's exactly what we DON'T need, because if he hasn't succeeded with that much talent, then what's he going to do here?

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

903hog

I understand. I think A&M has a self-inflated perception of the kind of coach they could get. Outside of Chad Morris, I don't see any big name guy really going there. Not the same prestige as a UCLA, Tennessee, or even Ole Miss. If they really think Sumlin isn't there guy, I think we would be dumb not to pursue him.

903hog

No sir. Just looking at what he has accomplished and think he is better than a young guy from a small school. Wasn't long ago Sumlin was the guy everyone wanted. Not sure his recent poor performances wipe out those bowl visits and record.  And it isn't like Arkansas couldn't use some help in the recruiting department.

Sed76

Just because he owns Bielema is no reason to hire the guy. If you want a underachiever who underperforms with great recruiting classes might as well hire Gus instead of freaking Kevin Sumlin.

903hog

I would take Gus more than Sumlin actually but I don't think that's a possibility.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 10:13:31 pm
No sir. Just looking at what he has accomplished and think he is better than a young guy from a small school. Wasn't long ago Sumlin was the guy everyone wanted. Not sure his recent poor performances wipe out those bowl visits and record.  And it isn't like Arkansas couldn't use some help in the recruiting department.

That same argument could be applied to CBB and what he did at Wisky, and what he appeared to be doing here until the last three games last season, and this season.  Sumlin has had similar struggles, and has shown some patterns that aren't very positive by falling apart about halfway through the season.  No thanks.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Porkchop#1

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 09:58:30 pm
Tenure at Texas A&M:

This would only be a good idea if he could coach every game against Bert Bielema coached squads.

903hog

I'm not sure that's applicable. Look at what Sumlin's done in the SEC compared to BB. Since 2012 Sumlin's highest AP ratings have been 5,6,6,9, and 6. BB are 18 and 16 in years 15 and 16. I think Sumlin has shown he can be in the conversation. We mainly exist on the periphery of the college football landscape unless we are in a scandel (BP) or at the mercy of some childish comment (BB). Sumlin has demonstrated he can recruit exceptionally well and do enough during the season to go to a bowl and mostly crack the top ten at some point. Not sure we are even close at this point.

online-with-swine

So Sumlins worst year is as good or better than CBB's best one here and he gets fired.  At least we are Long on Integrity.

903hog

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 10:21:53 pm
I'm not sure that's applicable. Look at what Sumlin's done in the SEC compared to BB. Since 2012 Sumlin's highest AP ratings have been 5,6,6,9, and 6. BB are 18 and 16 in years 15 and 16. I think Sumlin has shown he can be in the conversation. We mainly exist on the periphery of the college football landscape unless we are in a scandel (BP) or at the mercy of some childish comment (BB). Sumlin has demonstrated he can recruit exceptionally well and do enough during the season to go to a bowl and mostly crack the top ten at some point. Not sure we are even close at this point.
Who the hell cares what his highest AP ratings were during the season? What matters is how the season ended up. He's had a top 5 season in his first year and a #18 finish in his second year and both years he had Johnny Manziel. Since then he hasn't finished in the top 25. This is despite the fact that he's recruited a top 15 class NATIONALLY every year he's been at A&M. This is the literal definition of doing less with more.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Roy Bacon

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on November 05, 2017, 10:31:06 pm
Who the hell cares what his highest AP ratings were during the season? What matters is how the season ended up. He's had a top 5 season in his first year and a #18 finish in his second year and both years he had Johnny Manziel. Since then he hasn't finished in the top 25. This is despite the fact that he's recruited a top 15 class NATIONALLY every year he's been at A&M. This is the literal definition of doing less with more.

exactly .
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

903hog

That's all correct and the main gripe with Sumlin. I'd say a top 15 class nationally sounds pretty good to me as our own instate recruits can't hit the door fast enough. It basically comes down to who would you feel Arkansas would fair better with, a rising star (Campbell/Norvell) or a coach who has been in the SEC at one of its most resourceful and prominent teams? Could Sumlin have learned anything that would help him in his second stop? If you want to roll the dice that's fine. I think A&M is just doing a little too much a little too soon.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Sumlin is not the answer for Arkansas. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

903hog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 05, 2017, 10:45:13 pm
Sumlin is not the answer for Arkansas.

What is the criteria for the best answer for Arkansas?

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 10:15:15 pm
I would take Gus more than Sumlin actually but I don't think that's a possibility.

The problem with Gus is that we'd have to interact with Gus.

I'd rather lose.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 10:44:10 pm
That's all correct and the main gripe with Sumlin. I'd say a top 15 class nationally sounds pretty good to me as our own instate recruits can't hit the door fast enough. It basically comes down to who would you feel Arkansas would fair better with, a rising star (Campbell/Norvell) or a coach who has been in the SEC at one of its most resourceful and prominent teams? Could Sumlin have learned anything that would help him in his second stop? If you want to roll the dice that's fine. I think A&M is just doing a little too much a little too soon.
You're assuming that he could continue to recruit at a top 15 level at Arkansas. That isn't the case.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

soooieman

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 05, 2017, 10:10:13 pm
Is this a joke?  They have had outstanding recruiting classes, but have little to show for it after Manziel's tenure.  I would argue that he's exactly what we DON'T need, because if he hasn't succeeded with that much talent, then what's he going to do here?
Agree. This argument works also with Gus

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 903hog on November 05, 2017, 10:50:08 pm
What is the criteria for the best answer for Arkansas?

I don't think anyone can really answer that at this point.  Some, including me, really thought that CBB was coming with a system that was going to be superior at developing players, recruiting players that with a higher than average football IQ, and ultimately fielding a team with Jr's and Sr's that could make up for what is always a challenge...recruiting rankings.  Guess what?  We're in year 5, and playing countless underclassmen, and even the coaches are complaining that our O-line can't learn the schemes and are hard to coach.

So...what now?  I don't know, and I think anyone that tells you they do, is guessing like the rest of us.  Sure...if you can get a proven commodity that has shown the capability to win games without elite recruits, you're probably on the right track, but that's still an unproven science.  Norvell at Memphis has everyone's attention, but that's a small sample size, and he's fielding a team full of experience.  What happens in two years?  Can the style he coaches do well in the SEC?  He's reliant on speed, and when was the last time the UA had the fastest recruits?  That's just one coaching example.  Don't get me started on the talk about Les Miles.  If they hire him...I'm done, and I'm not joking.  I'll be banned of HV on my first post. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: soooieman on November 05, 2017, 11:04:26 pm

It does work with Gus, and it works even MORE with Les Miles.  I can't believe he's even being discussed.  How he could continually field a team with that much talent, and underachieve, is remarkable.  Couple that with a style that we just saw doesn't work at Arkansas, and you have a recipe for disaster.  Oh...and not to mention the complete inability to field a competent QB despite all that talent at his disposal for recruiting...inexplicable.  NO way to we want him coming here...no way.