Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going to sound like a broken record and I really don't care.

Started by SemperHawg, February 21, 2018, 10:27:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

The stubborn refusal to move out of the half court man to man defense where we are constantly switching off of the high ball screen into a terrible match up!

There is a reason every team has their season high night from beyond the arc against us.  The sequence goes as follows.

1. Opposing offense breaks our press.

2. Opposing PG summons his 4 or 5 to the top of the key for a high ball screen or PAR.  (here's where they get options)

Option A.  We switch on the ball screen on the high side and Beard ends up guarding a 6'10 dude in the paint.
Option B. We switch on the low side of the ball screen and either our 5 or 4 now cheats off of the weak side for help, opposing offense makes the extra swing pass for a wide open 3.
Option C.  On either of the switches Gafford/Thompson/Thomas is pulled away from the basket and make a touch foul on a smaller guy or get driven around for a lay up.  (Also in the event we force them to miss a shot all rebounders have now been pulled out of the paint)

For those of you un able to watch last night I just described every defensive possession of the second half for the Razorbacks last night.

Full disclosure I am not on the fire Mike train (yet)... But watching him continually walk our defense head first into the same kick in the nutts over and over again is maddening!

elksnort

And I will keep asking, is Mike unable or unwilling to adjust?

Stubborn or stupid.

Personally, I lean towards his being stubborn.

The_Iceman

Mentioned this in other threads. You are spot on. His defense is senseless and just plain stupid. We played right into their strengths, and exploited none of their weaknesses.

That's called poor coaching by Mediocre Mike!

Mediocre Mike defenders are going to ignore and avoid this thread.

idochog

I yearn for a guy that would teach straight man to man defense w/ offside help.

I love Jesus!

Hoggish1

Quote from: SemperHawg on February 21, 2018, 10:27:24 am
The stubborn refusal to move out of the half court man to man defense where we are constantly switching off of the high ball screen into a terrible match up!

There is a reason every team has their season high night from beyond the arc against us.  The sequence goes as follows.

2. Opposing PG summons his 4 or 5 to the top of the key for a high ball screen or PAR.  (here's where they get options)

Option A.  We switch on the ball screen on the high side and Beard ends up guarding a 6'10 dude in the paint.
Option B. We switch on the low side of the ball screen and either our 5 or 4 now cheats off of the weak side for help, opposing offense makes the extra swing pass for a wide open 3.
Option C.  On either of the switches Gafford/Thompson/Thomas is pulled away from the basket and make a touch foul on a smaller guy or get driven around for a lay up.  (Also in the event we force them to miss a shot all rebounders have now been pulled out of the paint)

For those of you un able to watch last night I just described every defensive possession of the second half for the Razorbacks last night.

Full disclosure I am not on the fire Mike train (yet)... But watching him continually walk our defense head first into the same kick in the nutts over and over again is maddening!

Preach it.  I saw it too.  Mike doesn't see it. Oh, and I'm not a fire Mike either...

BassinHawg

Mike's too busy playing with toys for props to see how fast real basketball is and how you should adjust. Ridiculous!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

rude1

Preaching to the choir, it is a stupid attempt at defense.We voluntarily break our own defense when we do this yet we jump right out there and switch that ball screen 25 ft. from the basket acting like it favors us and make no attempt to switch back. You have broken it down wonderfully.

99toLife

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 11:11:00 am
Mentioned this in other threads. You are spot on. His defense is senseless and just plain stupid. We played right into their strengths, and exploited none of their weaknesses.

ICEMAN: You and I both know that Mike is Mike he will not change the way he does things.

I got shredded on here when we hired Mike  simply because I said things like " He never runs an offense because he has none", " He will substitute in ways that will make fans CRAZY, because they don't seem to make sense", " He's a good guy, and a decent coach but if you think he will take the Hogs to the next level you are naïve."   All I ever heard on here was " He's coming home, with Razorback badass Basketball"   It hasn't happened. 

cityhog

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 11:43:20 am
ICEMAN: You and I both know that Mike is Mike he will not change the way he does things.

I got shredded on here when we hired Mike  simply because I said things like " He never runs an offense because he has none", " He will substitute in ways that will make fans CRAZY, because they don't seem to make sense", " He's a good guy, and a decent coach but if you think he will take the Hogs to the next level you are naïve."   All I aver heard on here was " He's coming home, with Razorback badass Basketball"   It hasn't happened. 

word

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 21, 2018, 11:16:32 am
Preach it.  I saw it too.  Mike doesn't see it. Oh, and I'm not a fire Mike either...

Oh Mike sees it, and does not care.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 11:08:27 am

Stubborn or stupid.

His entire style is stubborn.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

alohawg

Add the stupidity of tiring out your own starters unnecessarily with the press which in turn forces more time out of your own inferior bench. His game plan against a team built like Kentucky was asinine.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 11:43:20 am

I got shredded on here when we hired Mike  simply because I said things like " He never runs an offense because he has none", " He will substitute in ways that will make fans CRAZY, because they don't seem to make sense", " He's a good guy, and a decent coach but if you think he will take the Hogs to the next level you are naïve."   All I ever heard on here was " He's coming home, with Razorback badass Basketball"   It hasn't happened. 
I wasn't against the hire and think he has done a decent job while keeping our program clean. He was and never will be Nolan but we all knew that up front. With that said I guess it depends on the expectations you place on the program. I for one think we have the facilities to be a top 15 program year in and year out. I don't think Mike, as great as a guy as he is, will be the one who gets us to that level. We've had 7 years of decent play but I want more.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

99toLife

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on February 21, 2018, 12:49:47 pm
I wasn't against the hire and think he has done a decent job while keeping our program clean. He was and never will be Nolan but we all knew that up front. With that said I guess it depends on the expectations you place on the program. I for one think we have the facilities to be a top 15 program year in and year out. I don't think Mike, as great as a guy as he is, will be the one who gets us to that level. We've had 7 years of decent play but I want more.

I wasn't against the hire either and I knew what to expect. But many on Hogville went Ape-Shite over the hire. 

jgphillips3

I have been for Mike every step of the way.  This season is the first time I have begun to question whether he can get it done here.  Last season when he adjusted to zone and made a run, I thought I saw hope for the first time that he could be adaptable.  However, he is almost becoming Nutt-esque in his stubborn ways.  I'm not off the Mike train yet.  However, he is beginning to concern me and I want to see him, not completely change, but adapt to his team and situation.  Otherwise, by the end of next year, I may be on the fire Mike bandwagon.  For now, I still support him and will hope for the best.  It's just looking less and less likely that he will reward that hope.  However, the end of the story hasn't yet been written...still time for a plot twist.

SemperHawg

I chalk it up to wither stubborn pride or inability.

Stubborn Pride:  Dammit, we are going to do it this way and show we want it more than the other team no matter what they do.  We don't adjust to them they adjust to us.

Inability: I have to run this frenzied style of defense even when it gets me burned because I don't have a solid half court offense plan and need to be constantly gambling with steals into transition buckets.

I'm not buying the wear'em down argument any more outside of certain scenarios where we know a team is short handed (see A&M)  This day in CBB there are so many game stoppages that its almost impossible to physically wear down another team who has a comparable number of contributors at you do. 

elksnort

Good discussion.

There are folks on here that can be critical in a rational way. It's shame more folks can do this.

hogsanity

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 01:07:31 pm
Good discussion.

There are folks on here that can be critical in a rational way. It's shame more folks can do this.

The irrational in this discussion always comes from a very few who would support Mike in an argument with God.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

steveaustin69

Couldn't have put it better myself. Watching this team play defense is, at times, unbearable. Most of the necessary adjustments are things I would expect a high school coach to make.

cypert2

Mikes ability to make adjustments ranks right up there with Bielema's.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Beaverfever

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 12:52:04 pm
I wasn't against the hire either and I knew what to expect. But many on Hogville went Ape-Shite over the hire. 
Honestly I think Mike has done about what we needed him to do.  Our program was dead when he got here.  Heath lulled it to sleep and Pelphrey smothered it with a pillow until it was completely dead on the inside.  Mike was a solid hire at the time to bring us back to life.  I think he's done that more or less.  There is some pride that has been restored to the Razorback uniform.  We've reconciled the Nolan situation and I feel like Arkansas basketball is starting to trend in the right direction again.   We've always known Mike's ceiling was staying in the SEC mix and fielding a team capable of winning a couple of big games in a tournament setting.  He would be viewed a lot differently if he had made the Sweet 16 last year or won the SECT in one of his two appearances in the championship game.  At this point I think we can expect more of the same and we have to hope he breaks through in the postseason.  I think his "style" of coaching is much more suited to tournament play.  Eventually we need to be thinking of what coach will take us to the next level.  Mike can keep things going until we find a guaranteed home run hire. 

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 01:11:39 pm
The irrational in this discussion always comes from a very few who would support Mike in an argument with God.

Well I was told at least God has a plan, so God's got that working for him.  ;)

99toLife

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 21, 2018, 01:22:30 pm
Honestly I think Mike has done about what we needed him to do.  Our program was dead when he got here.  Heath lulled it to sleep and Pelphrey smothered it with a pillow until it was completely dead on the inside.  Mike was a solid hire at the time to bring us back to life.  I think he's done that more or less.  There is some pride that has been restored to the Razorback uniform.  We've reconciled the Nolan situation and I feel like Arkansas basketball is starting to trend in the right direction again.   We've always known Mike's ceiling was staying in the SEC mix and fielding a team capable of winning a couple of big games in a tournament setting.  He would be viewed a lot differently if he had made the Sweet 16 last year or won the SECT in one of his two appearances in the championship game.  At this point I think we can expect more of the same and we have to hope he breaks through in the postseason.  I think his "style" of coaching is much more suited to tournament play.  Eventually we need to be thinking of what coach will take us to the next level.  Mike can keep things going until we find a guaranteed home run hire.

I agree with you.  The ship is afloat thanks to Mike, but it's time for a new captain.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 11:11:00 am

Bet it makes you feel like a big boy using cute insulting nicknames...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2018, 01:28:28 pm
Bet it makes you feel like a big boy using cute insulting nicknames...
What does it make you feel like to ignore the ongoing issues?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Beaverfever

Quote from: 99toLife on February 21, 2018, 01:23:59 pm
I agree with you.  The ship is afloat thanks to Mike, but it's time for a new captain.
Exactly.  I say let Mike do his thing for the time being and let's be calculated about our next move.  He's not running us off a cliff like Bielema so there's no need to panic and make a desperate move.  I hope our new AD is thinking ahead. 

jgphillips3

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 21, 2018, 01:34:49 pm
Exactly.  I say let Mike do his thing for the time being and let's be calculated about our next move.  He's not running us off a cliff like Bielema so there's no need to panic and make a desperate move.  I hope our new AD is thinking ahead. 

Exactly.  Arkansas basketball was dead.  Mike brought us from laughing stock to solid and respectable with flashes of being good.  Let him continue coaching until he either makes it happen or we can find someone capable of taking us from respectable to top 15.  Unless we completely fall apart two years in a row at some point, no reason to be too hasty on the trigger finger.  There are only so many coaches who can actually improve our situation and we need to be sure we find the right one...and one that doesn't later get popped by the FBI.

hogsanity

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 21, 2018, 02:21:16 pm
Exactly.  Arkansas basketball was dead.  Mike brought us from laughing stock to solid and respectable with flashes of being good.  Let him continue coaching until he either makes it happen or we can find someone capable of taking us from respectable to top 15.  Unless we completely fall apart two years in a row at some point, no reason to be too hasty on the trigger finger.  There are only so many coaches who can actually improve our situation and we need to be sure we find the right one...and one that doesn't later get popped by the FBI.

Every great coach was once an up and comer.

Lady Razorback

Thank you for verbalizing my sentiments perfectly.  I hate losing and I was so angry last night because I had my hopes up.  That is because Mike has brought us to a point where we can have hope.  (I promise I never felt that way during football season.)  I also agree that we can take the time to determine which coach we want to take us to the next level.  I want us to move in smart purposeful way.

SoIndianaHog

February 21, 2018, 02:35:05 pm #29 Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:06:22 pm by SoIndianaHog
I can't understand how a coach that has been around this long won't make necessary adjustments during a game. It seems to me that if what you're doing isn't working you would try something. Even coaching girls high school basketball in Indiana you find out that if you don't adjust, you don't win. I talk Hogs nonstop here in Indiana and I'm getting killed today by all my UK friends. Was so hoping that we would take it to them last night, but once again just disappointment. Please tell me Coach Anderson will make needed changes to get us into the Tournament!! No way I can handle another Hogless NCAA's in Hoosier/Wildcat land.

Paul

Quote from: idochog on February 21, 2018, 11:11:35 am
I yearn for a guy that would teach straight man to man defense w/ offside help.
hope to see it again in my lifetime

hoghevn

I really wish FCJ would give his thoughts on this thread and honestly discuss this issue. 
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

jdlew

Quote from: hoghevn on February 22, 2018, 10:25:41 pm
I really wish FCJ would give his thoughts on this thread and honestly discuss this issue. 
[/quot

Problem is FCJ knows nothing about basketball...Like MA he  says the same old stuff every day...also I don't think the players really buy into his coaching..

Hog are ya

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 21, 2018, 12:59:31 pm
I have been for Mike every step of the way.  This season is the first time I have begun to question whether he can get it done here.  Last season when he adjusted to zone and made a run, I thought I saw hope for the first time that he could be adaptable.  However, he is almost becoming Nutt-esque in his stubborn ways.  I'm not off the Mike train yet.  However, he is beginning to concern me and I want to see him, not completely change, but adapt to his team and situation.  Otherwise, by the end of next year, I may be on the fire Mike bandwagon.  For now, I still support him and will hope for the best.  It's just looking less and less likely that he will reward that hope.  However, the end of the story hasn't yet been written...still time for a plot twist.

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 21, 2018, 01:22:30 pm

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 21, 2018, 01:34:49 pm

Quote from: Lady Razorback on February 21, 2018, 02:33:02 pm
Thank you for verbalizing my sentiments perfectly.  I hate losing and I was so angry last night because I had my hopes up.  That is because Mike has brought us to a point where we can have hope.  (I promise I never felt that way during football season.)  I also agree that we can take the time to determine which coach we want to take us to the next level.  I want us to move in smart purposeful way.

Really good points made and these quotes echo mostly how I feel.  He better do what needs to be done in order to get another win, or two, and get us in the tournament this year though.  And yes, the new AD needs to think ahead just in case......  Because next year, if it is minus Gafford, could be brutal.  But if we can't get at least that one or two more wins this year, I must admit, I would understand making the change now if it was well thought out...  I sure hope it doesn't come to that. 

jbigs77

I agree totally, and have said much the same on here before. You could also add trapping wears us out and we are not deep enough to play this way. I got my cat this laser light, and he chases it everywhere. The other night, it reminded me of watching the hogs chase the basketball, they'd almost get it then poof its gone.

LumberBacks

Quote from: elksnort on February 21, 2018, 11:08:27 am

Stubborn or stupid.

He knows how to coach one way.  Think about how he was mentored.  He had one mentor.  Nolan.  He never served as an assistant under anyone but Nolan.  He was coached by Nolan.  So he has very little exposure to doing things differently then Nolan.  40 minutes of hell.  Fastest 40 minutes.   New name but not new brand.  It doesn't work anymore.  It's like running the flexbone on the hardwood.  His style of pressing defense does nothing but wear his starters out only to be replaced by bench players two notches below his starters.  It would be an interesting stat to see how many presses where employed on an opponent, and how many turnovers resulted.  It would be less than 2% I bet.  Conversely, how many easy buckets did opponents score who broke a press.  Would be a highter number than turnovers.  It just doesn't work.  Time for a change and unlike many on HV, I think change will come after next season particularly if this year's team limps into the NIT.  NIT may be a reach next year.

Rome26

Quote from: hogsanity on February 21, 2018, 02:28:26 pm
Every great coach was once an up and comer.

Every bad coach was also once an up and comer and there's way more of them than there are great coaches.

Rome26

Quote from: LumberBacks on February 24, 2018, 08:46:32 am
He knows how to coach one way.  Think about how he was mentored.  He had one mentor.  Nolan.  He never served as an assistant under anyone but Nolan.  He was coached by Nolan.  So he has very little exposure to doing things differently then Nolan.  40 minutes of hell.  Fastest 40 minutes.   New name but not new brand.  It doesn't work anymore.  It's like running the flexbone on the hardwood.  His style of pressing defense does nothing but wear his starters out only to be replaced by bench players two notches below his starters.  It would be an interesting stat to see how many presses where employed on an opponent, and how many turnovers resulted.  It would be less than 2% I bet.  Conversely, how many easy buckets did opponents score who broke a press.  Would be a highter number than turnovers.  It just doesn't work.  Time for a change and unlike many on HV, I think change will come after next season particularly if this year's team limps into the NIT.  NIT may be a reach next year.

If things played out that way then Mike should be fired. I think we make the tourney this year and it will be enough to get him by if we miss the tourney next year.

golfinpig

I never understood the excitement about MA's hire for 2 reasons. #1 and most importantly, I knew he was a lousy recruiter. #2 as has been covered on this thread, MA  is still coaching the same system from the early 90's. With the rules changes and the ball handleing skills of today's players it just does not work. This is as good as it will get under Mike. Foe me it's not good enough.