Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN Layoff

Started by Next1_04, April 26, 2017, 12:42:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 28, 2017, 10:14:46 pm
well, in case you missed it, NOBODY needs somebody reporting on sports results now. it's all over the internet. we dont tune in to see what happened. ever.

To the guys saying it's failing b/c it's too PC... LLOOOLLLOOOLLOLOLOLOLOL.. sigh. lololololololol

It was a bubble, it was bound to burst. It has been much predicted.
i remember trying to catch the sports updates at 10 til and 20 after the hour on headline news channel. If I got distracted and missed it I had to wait another half hour to try and catch scores and highlights.
This is fun, isn't it.

pigture perfect

I was hoping for Michael Smith and his chick side kick would have gotten pink slips as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

IronMountainHog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 27, 2017, 11:17:23 am
ESPN has an accounting problem, not an "old folks watching Fox and Friends and not enough Sportscenter" problem.

Politics is a non-factor.  Subscriber loss hasn't got anything to do with "the libbers."
Linda Cohn a 25 year employee at ESPN disagrees with you. She even said giving Jenner the courage award over a double amputee and a cancer stricken basketball player was "political" and it has now come back to bite them. How about Keith Olbermann leaving, going to become Rachel Maddox with male parts (not that she doesn't have them herself), and then coming back to ESPN? You don't see where politics has anything to do with it? Smh.

IronMountainHog

I personally was glad to see Britt McHenry get the boot. She should have gotten it over the towing company blowup she had last year caught on video.

"I'm in the news, sweetheart, I will f—–g sue this place," McHenry ranted. "Do you feel good about your job? So I could be a college dropout and do the same thing? Why, cause I have a brain and you don't? Maybe if I was missing some teeth they would hire me, huh? Oh like yours, 'cause they look so stunning ... 'Cause I'm on television and you're in a f—–g trailer, honey. Loose some weight baby girl."

See ya mean girl....

twistitup

ESPN is done like Sears...these days people don't NEED  a sports network to keep up w sports happenings. Just like we no longer NEED anything Sears has to offer.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 29, 2017, 06:10:32 am
Linda Cohn a 25 year employee at ESPN disagrees with you. She even said giving Jenner the courage award over a double amputee and a cancer stricken basketball player was "political" and it has now come back to bite them. How about Keith Olbermann leaving, going to become Rachel Maddox with male parts (not that she doesn't have them herself), and then coming back to ESPN? You don't see where politics has anything to do with it? Smh.

Linda Cohn.  Yowsah! 

Plow.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ChicoHog

Quote from: lumphog on April 26, 2017, 01:39:32 pm
HE.....should have been FIRED 7 years ago......HE SUCKS!!!!
I always liked Kanell.  Don't always agree with him but I enjoy listening to him.

I think their main move is cost cutting and some of the people let go were probably fairly high paid talent.

I rarely watch Sportscenter anymore but still watch College Football live and just about any other college football show.  If I need scores I can check my phone.   For baseball stuff I watch MLB network mostly. 

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 28, 2017, 09:39:37 am
The Biggest waste on ESPN Radio!!!

Not sure how I feel about this.
6 years ago, the Dan Lebatard show was local to Miami alone.  The show was awesome.  It was funny through absurdity, and sarcasm, and was smart.  The topics were a mixture of national and local.  (I learned a lot about "The U" and why it would never be a consistent top 10 program again.)  No topic or issue was safe, and the show didn't pander to any particular demographic.

Very little of the above is true now.

National, so no touch of deeper relevance
Hyper-Political
Far Left Leaning
Preachy
Not a lot of sports anymore

I just want the old show back.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 29, 2017, 01:31:20 am
I was hoping for Michael Smith and his chick side kick would have gotten pink slips as well.

This times infinity.
Anytime......ANYTIME, they come on, I switch off.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

LRRandy

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 29, 2017, 09:57:12 am
When ESPN promotes 'courage'  as batting for both teams, it is a negative factor.
agree. That was the biggest farce ever put forth on that network.
This is fun, isn't it.

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 29, 2017, 11:06:44 am
Lebatard is a good example of a show (and personality) that should work at the level it was meant to.  This is NOT a slam at LeBatard, but rather a reality that some personalities work better at a regional or state level instead of a national level.  To take this one step further, there are far too many national shows these days - sports works better at the state or regional level. 

True, we need more Randy Rainwater's...........said no one, ever.....

ricepig

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 29, 2017, 11:12:14 am
Well, there are some who should work at the county level...and even more who should be confined to a single ZIP+4......

I'm thinking just a street address would suffice.

BroyledNutts

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on April 29, 2017, 11:18:05 am
I'm thinking just a street address would suffice.

Only if he talks to himself in the closet.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 29, 2017, 12:10:22 pm
Only if he talks to himself in the closet.

I'll leave that closet stuff to you, not that there's anything wrong with that.

daprospecta

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 29, 2017, 10:17:22 am
This times infinity.
Anytime......ANYTIME, they come on, I switch off.
Why? People are calling for Stephen A. Smith to be fired as well.  You do know that Stephen A. Smith is currently a STAPLE at ESPN.  First take is a money maker for them.  I don't watch the Hill/Smith show but I know a lot of people that do.  It draws in minority viewers and right now, ESPN can't afford(literally) to lose viewers.

HognitiveDissonance

Shows like Stephen A Smith(who I listen on the radio occasionally on lunch break) and the 'Smith and side kick chick' shows are just ESPN pandering to the minority audience, being politically correct. Much like the Caitlyn Jenner thing...pandering to political correctness.
Stephen A. is very smart and I like his take sometimes, but due to his bombastic style I can easily see why some simply can't listen to him. The other day he was literally yelling through the radio and I finally had to change the dial.

In contrast, minority talent like Stan Verrett, the late John Saunders, former ESPN Mike Tirico, etc...those guys were/are simply very good at their jobs, and that's why they were on the air. I doubt anyone changes the channel when they're on, they're consummate professionals.

Big difference between those two groups.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 29, 2017, 03:33:34 pm
Since you mentioned him, what a pleasure it was to listen to John Saunders.  Like a precious few others, Saunders had a voice that was easy on the ear and could bring interest to a broadcast of any sport. 

And, to boot, he was a hockey guy.

One of my tests is whether a guys seems like the type of guy you'd like to sit down and drink beers with.  John Saunders  is clearly one of those guys.  Stephen A., not so much.

The Hawg Marshal

April 30, 2017, 08:53:15 pm #168 Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:04:39 pm by The Hawg Marshal
John Saunders and John Daly(Daly follows anyone who follows him I think) are the only celebrities that follow me on Twitter. I was shocked when he died ,he was really good at his job and a good guy to boot.

counsellorhog

Quote from: East Clintwood on April 26, 2017, 12:47:27 pm
They should go ahead and can all of them.

Just broadcast the games, rerun them, and forget all the other stuff.

Yes. exactly.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 26, 2017, 12:50:35 pm
Stephen A. Smith has to be on this list.  Dude's nuts.
Have to turn it when he is on. Loud talking jerk.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!