Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40 Minutes Flashback

Started by 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER, March 30, 2017, 09:38:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0G3lnFTrUQ

# 1 UNLV vs. # 2 Arkansas from 2/10/91.

Does anyone else remember this game, or am I surrounded by a bunch of youngin's and millennials on this board?  :razorback:  Please take note of the old "SLOBBERIN' HOG" logo at  mid-court, and at the old SWC (Southwest Conference) letters in the key!

Hootiethehog

Ok, I had to stop watching that. Just spent about 15 minutes at work watching the first half. Had to stop before I got caught. I was only 13 when that game happened, but I remember it being pretty good despite the finish.
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

Inhogswetrust

Wow. I've never seen that posted on here before..................No wait....... Maybe I'm to old to remember. At least you could have shown a win..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I was born 34 days before this game. I probably wasn't watching this one  :P
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

RagingHawgOn

I was there. That UNLV bunch was an ungodly group of talent. They owned the building that day.

Boog41

I was on a ski trip out west when that game was played. We took the day off so we could all sit around the rental house to watch it.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on March 30, 2017, 09:38:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0G3lnFTrUQ

# 1 UNLV vs. # 2 Arkansas from 2/10/91.

Does anyone else remember this game, or am I surrounded by a bunch of youngin's and millennials on this board?  :razorback:  Please take note of the old "SLOBBERIN' HOG" logo at  mid-court, and at the old SWC (Southwest Conference) letters in the key!
Yep, I was there. 49-46 Hogs at the half, UNLV turned it up and built a 23-point lead, final ended up being 112-105.
Bad outcome, good game, unbelievable buildup to the game. What I remember the most was the progame hype, the tents camping outside Barnhill Arena. CBS and their #1 crew of Jim Nantz and Billy Packer being in town. #1 versus #2 in a February matchup.
Also contained one of the best dunks I recall---George Ackles of UNLV coming down the lane in the second half and throwing one down across his body.
Another nugget about this weekend was it was same weekend as the epic Buster Douglas upset over Mike Tyson.

RagingHawgOn

I remember driving past KFC on 6th Street a couple of hours after the game. UNLV had stopped there and all the players were walking out of the restaurant.

Also remember the incredible number of private jets at Drake that day.

What an atmosphere!

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

Thanks for the replies and the memories, guys. Hopefully a few others who are our age or older weigh in about this game/day. I remember the TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF HYPE before the game took place.  It was just such a sexy match-up...not only 1 vs 2, but two teams LOADED WITH TALENT that LOVED to press and run N' gun.   The way basketball SHOULD be played.

TushCrush

I was there. One of the biggest games I ever saw at Barnhill. Day was doing his Buster Douglas at 1:32:53.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on April 10, 2017, 02:30:57 pm
Thanks for the replies and the memories, guys. Hopefully a few others who are our age or older weigh in about this game/day. I remember the TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF HYPE before the game took place.  It was just such a sexy match-up...not only 1 vs 2, but two teams LOADED WITH TALENT that LOVED to press and run N' gun.   The way basketball SHOULD be played.

Thanks for sharing, 40Min! I remember it well. So much talent on the court that day from both teams.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

Quote from: Little Lady Back on April 10, 2017, 03:34:07 pm
Thanks for sharing, 40Min! I remember it well. So much talent on the court that day from both teams.

hahaha, no problem Little Lady Back.  I dig your username.  It's cute!   :) :razorback:

Little Lady Back

Quote from: 40MinutesOfHellFOREVER on April 10, 2017, 03:37:21 pm
hahaha, no problem Little Lady Back.  I dig your username.  It's cute!   :) :razorback:

Thanks but yours is much better!  ;)
#NolanRichardsonCourt

40MinutesOfHellFOREVER

hahaha, thanks LittleLadyBack. It's always nice to run into a fellow "Nolan/40 Minutes of Hell" fan on here.   :razorback: :)  I realize I am in the minority, but TO ME, Arkansas basketball will ALWAYS BE  NOLAN AND the 40 MINUTES ERA. :)

phadedhawg

I watched most of it.  I was 12 yrs old at the time.  I remember my cousins came over and we decided to ride 4 wheelers after UNLV pulled away. 

We had a great day and tore thru the fields.  Much better than watching the end of that one.

Hogimus Prime

Billy Packer was dbag mocking Nolan's suit

snoot hoggy hog

I will never forget this game. I remember being in denial about "THE PUNCH". I didn't want to believe that Todd Day let Larry Johnson punk him like that.  I'm glad that CNR listened to LJ and went out and got a some men. I always wonder how the 94 Hogs would have matched up against this UNLV team.

pignparadise

I was there on row two. My fraternity brother who worked for the Dallas Mavericks traded 4 tickets to see Michael Jordan for two similar tickets to the UNLV game. Right before halftime was the loudest I ever heard Barnhill. Went to UNLVs hotel before game and met Larry Johnson and Tark. Coach Crowe went to airport and picked up Walter Payton and brought him to Hotel. Walter, Larry and Tark were all very nice and actually spent about 30 minutes talking with us. Tark ried to talk  me into  attending his adult basketball camp on a cruise ship. We beat them for a half.But the rubber band man Stacey Augman was too much for us.
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"