Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last Chance U

Started by GrizzlyRider07, August 03, 2016, 08:29:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

So this is a new series on Netflix about JUCO Power East Mississippi Community College. I noticed that one of their QBs is current Auburn JUCO signee John Franklin III. Is he suppose to be Auburns savior at QB  this season? The guy wasn't even a starter on his JUCO team and really hasn't shown me why he was highly recruited. If that's who they are depending on this season, we will have a field day. Unless things have changed since then I love our chances. Just a little observation from me.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

woopig

I looked him up on 24/7 and it shows him listed as an athlete.
I really enjoyed that series, they have had some pretty good players walk those halls for it being in the middle of nowhere.

theFlyingHog

From what I've heard Auburn doesn't have a clue who will be under center; a problem I am very glad we don't have even if some disagree with an Allen getting the nod

rhames

I watched it. They used a 2 qb system. Dude is a jerk but he can play. All he needed to do was get a good offer and not get hurt which is what he did

Also sad how some of those dudes can't make it to class with a pencil.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GrizzlyRider07

I tell you what that DT Ronald Ollie is a beast. If he had his head on right he'd be a hell of a prospect
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

rhames

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on August 03, 2016, 09:22:49 am
I tell you what that DT Ronald Ollie is a beast. If he had his head on right he'd be a hell of a prospect

He would. He was one of the more likeable guys until some of his comments after the events in episode 5

But taking into context his upbringing and background can't really blame the kid.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

KlubhouseKonnected

August 03, 2016, 10:28:17 am #6 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:03:23 pm by KlubhouseKonnected
John Franklin III was the second best quarterback on that team. The guy he failed to beat out, because he was to erratic of a passer and a turnover risk, is now playing intramurals at Miss State. He basically played one half against a terrible opponent and ran for five touchdowns and Gus creamed himself.

Gus just needs to admit that his system does not really need a quarterback. It needs an excellent running back that can sort of throw it and isn't retarded. Then he can go out and recruit three or four 4-5* running backs every year, line them up, have them throw the ball at the tire swing, and then tell the one that sucks the least "you will be the one of the guys that takes the snap in our offense."

But then people would have to admit that his system is not genius it is just based purely on putting more elite athletes on the field than your opponent and hoping that your biggest strongest fastest guys are bigger stronger and faster then the other team's. And Gus's little black charlatan ego can't handle that.

He wrote a book after all.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Another thing about that show, I watched a couple episodes thinking "this Franklin kid is a little punk Arse" before I even realized he was the new Auburn kid.

Then thought, "well that makes perfect sense"

PeabodyHawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 03, 2016, 10:28:17 am
John Franklin III was the second best quarterback in that team. He basically played one half against a terrible opponent and ran for five touchdowns and Gus creamed himself.

Gus just needs to admit that his system does not really need a quarterback. It needs an excellent running back that can sort of throw it and isn't retarded. Then he can go out and recruit three or four 4-5* running backs every year, line them up, have them throw the ball at the tire swing, and then tell the one that sucks the least "you will be the one of the guys that takes the snap in our offense."

But then people would have to admit that his system is not genius it is just based purely on putting more elite athletes on the field than your opponent and hoping that your biggest strongest fastest guys are bigger stronger and faster then the other team's. And Gus's little black charlatan ego can't handle that.

He wrote a book after all.
That book was written long before Gus....it was called the Single Wing, Wing T, and Notre Dame Box.  These offenses were highly effective in the 20's, 30's, and 40's.  I also chuckle win the Gus Lovers give him credit for HUNH.....do they think his teams were the first to not huddle between plays?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: PeabodyHawg on August 03, 2016, 11:33:58 am
That book was written long before Gus....it was called the Single Wing, Wing T, and Notre Dame Box.  These offenses were highly effective in the 20's, 30's, and 40's.  I also chuckle win the Gus Lovers give him credit for HUNH.....do they think his teams were the first to not huddle between plays?
I may be wrong but I think football did not have the huddle at the outset. From what I remember reading, the huddle was innovative. Which means Gus is the opposite of innovative.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/HKellenbergerCL/status/760156542566031360

QuoteThere's a moment in one of the middle episodes of "Last Chance U," Netflix's new documentary series profiling the East Mississippi Community College football team, where its coach Buddy Stephens looks into the camera and wonders out loud if he's really doing everything he can.

If the players do not go to class, should he maybe hold them out of practice? Or a game? Wouldn't that be better for their ultimate development, even if it cost his national championship-winning football program a little bit?

Stephens never answers his own question, but the six episodes prove time and time again that ultimately that's just not the way Stephens, and therefore EMCC, does things.

The problem with Last Chance U is not its style — the football scenes are terrifically shot, close enough to the action to make you feel like you're on those junior college sidelines. The producers clearly had all the access they wanted during EMCC's 2015 season, and they do not hold back — story subjects are allowed the freedom to reveal their personality, and obscenities are used as nouns, verbs, adjectives and maybe even an adverb on occasion.

But in digesting all six episodes since its premiere last week, I kept on coming back to this: seldom is the moment when the main characters question whether or not just because they can do something means they should.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on August 03, 2016, 10:30:47 am
Another thing about that show, I watched a couple episodes thinking "this Franklin kid is a little punk Arse" before I even realized he was the new Auburn kid.

Then thought, "well that makes perfect sense"

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/761582552381550592

Gotta go with KHK's take.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jbcarol on August 05, 2016, 01:52:25 pm
https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/761582552381550592

Gotta go with KHK's take.

I am sure the Auburn podcasters take issue with Franklin being accurately portrayed as the second best quarterback on his juco's roster.

jbcarol

KlubhouseKonnected

KlubhouseKonnected

^^^ I think the "attitude problems" are a bit overblown. He did not seem to be a behavior problem, he went to class, and he was at least marginally supportive of the starter (although at times he did look like he was sulking).

To me it just shows he is a jerk. He thought he was too good to be there, which is kind of ironic considering he was one of the few that truly did choose to be there, and was too immature to not make that perfectly obvious to everyone.

He wasn't too good, btw, He is the least accomplished QB to come out of that school in years. Doesn't mean he won't be effective in Gus's simple offense though.

greenie

Isn't this the same John Franklin III that was a South Plantation high school classmate with Alex Collins?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: greenie on August 09, 2016, 07:13:46 pm
Isn't this the same John Franklin III that was a South Plantation high school classmate with Alex Collins?

Yes

BigSexyHog

Pathetic coach, pathetic program and overall pathetic kids.   Oh and the academic advisor probably helped out the players more ways then one.  She probably pitched in the $45 for the motel room was talking about in the 1st episode.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

BigSexyHog

Can't believe no one mentioned the one kid wearing the Arkansas sweatshirt at the end.  You guys are slipping
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 10, 2016, 05:05:12 am
Can't believe no one mentioned the one kid wearing the Arkansas sweatshirt at the end.  You guys are slipping

I noticed it butI didn't think it was worth mentioning as the kid ended up at Nicholls State

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 17h17 hours ago

My favorite Last Chance U reviews are the ones that act like it's new information Wyatt Roberts started over John Franklin III last year.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jbcarol on August 10, 2016, 08:39:04 am
Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL 17h17 hours ago

My favorite Last Chance U reviews are the ones that act like it's new information Wyatt Roberts started over John Franklin III last year.

What the eff is a Hugh Kellenberger?

KlubhouseKonnected

August 10, 2016, 09:10:20 am #23 Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 09:26:37 am by KlubhouseKonnected
Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 10, 2016, 04:54:47 am
Pathetic coach, pathetic program and overall pathetic kids.   Oh and the academic advisor probably helped out the players more ways then one.  She probably pitched in the $45 for the motel room was talking about in the 1st episode.

1. I'd say for a JUCO program they are far from "pathetic" at least in terms of resources.

2. The shot at the advisor is hackneyed, if anything she acts more like someone who has NOT been laid recently than someone with those kind of low ethical standards.

KlubhouseKonnected

QuoteWhat the eff is a Hugh Kellenberger?

Dear god... just look at it. An Ole Miss beat writer huh?

Hey Hughbert, for most of the entire world outside of Mississippi, everything that happens at East Mississippi Community College is news no matter when they hear it.

https://goo.gl/images/1Gr9FB   

jbcarol

Drew Jubera on his Netflix hit "Last Chance U"

QuoteSet in Scooba, Mississippi, this candid, warts-and-all portrait of the Lions — East Mississippi Community College's football team — focuses on coach Buddy Stephens, his athletes and their preparation for a crucial game. Then the series shifts focus to the dramatically higher stakes for the players, many of them are talented but academically challenged misfits who face their last chance for recruitment by a college team and a shot at the NFL.

Jubera: I was doing a book which became Must Win about a year I spent with a high school team in Valdosta. They had several kids who were nationally recruited kids and you had people like Nick Saban (head football coach at University of Alabama] and Mark Richt [then head football coach at the University of Georgia) coming in and giving their spiels to these kids. One day I was in the coach's office and this guy [Brad Boyette] popped his head in and said, "I'm with Northeast Mississippi Community College. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

The high school coach, Rance Gillespie, said, "I know what you need." He had a stack of folders on his desk and just handed it to Brad. They were all of the kids who weren't going to qualify (for a major college). Later, Brad had a kid come in and I sat through his interview. It was a kid who months earlier had been recruited by LSU but his grades had fallen way off. I remember Brad's pitch was basically, "I know you never dreamt of coming to Northeast Mississippi but here's what we can do for you. We can get you to someplace you wanna be." It was honest and unlike anything else I had heard before.

jbcarol

State recently received word that QB Elijah Staley was transferring. The Bulldogs are adding a quarterback to their roster just two days later.

Wyatt Roberts, a former standout for East Mississippi Community College, is joining the Bulldogs today

QuoteHe played in nine games last season for East Mississippi Community College, completing 65.4 percent of his passes for 2,197 yards, 23 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.

Started ahead of James Franklin III at Auburn.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/764841272263647233

QuoteBrittany Wagner — the athletic instructional adviser at East Mississippi Community College in Scooba — is one of the stars of the Netflix six-episode documentary "Last Chance U." It premiered July 29 and takes viewers behind the scenes of the Lions' championship football program.

"The whole thing has sort of blown my mind," she says. "I think I was naive about the scope of audience that this (documentary) was going to reach.

"I've always enjoyed a simple life. I didn't even have internet at my house until a couple of years ago when my daughter got an iPad for Christmas. I didn't have a computer at home, didn't feel like I needed one. I did my work at the office and didn't care about getting on social media.

"Now, it's sort of hard not to keep looking at Twitter when the count is steadily going up."

And about those proposals and date requests?

"I didn't respond to any of them — for obvious reasons," says Wagner, 38. "But I am single and would definitely give someone a chance if they had the qualities I am looking for."

jbcarol

What is it like to compete against John Franklin III?

QuoteBut before he got to Auburn, Franklin III was locked in a battle that was equally heated, if much less publicized. He spent the entirety of his lone season at East Mississippi Community College competing with Wyatt Roberts, a pass-first quarterback out of local Louisville (Miss.) High School. Roberts recalls it as the toughest competition of his life, but also the most rewarding.

"It's a lot of fun. If you love competition, you can't ask for somebody else to go against," Roberts told AuburnUndercover. "John, I love him to death, but he's going to run his mouth, he's going to talk. ... But it's fun. That makes it fun. If you go out there and work and bust your tail every day, you want to have some fun."

For the eight months Franklin III was on EMCC's campus after his transfer from Florida State, Roberts saw him perform as much as anyone. During practice, sessions of film study and countless hours in the weight room, Roberts saw Franklin III flash his strengths and, at times, show his weaknesses.

The biggest weakness Franklin III has, according to Roberts, is simply his lack of experience. Franklin III never cracked the playing rotation during his two seasons at Florida State and received limited snaps at EMCC because he split time with Roberts.

"When you're in a battle trying to earn a starting job, you tend to overdo stuff. You tend to try to make a throw that's really not there. You tend to try to make a run that you don't really need to make," Roberts said.

"(He's) a great competitor," Roberts said. "You don't make a move like that if you're scared of competition. You don't go to a big-time SEC program."

Roberts is going to play for State.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

jbcarol

gibby

Highly encourage you to watch this 6-episode Netflix documentary. It's not for the faint of heart, but it is a very well-done inside look at the juco football business from Mississippi powerhouse, East Mississippi Community College. 

https://www.netflix.com/title/80091742

Likely Auburn starter at QB, John Franklin III, is part of the story.

Give it a look-see.

Sed76

Tried to watch it but it just didn't hold my attention.

PorkRinds

Just finished it. Loved it. Pretty eye opening.

Razorhogs

I could not play for that guy!  What a sleazy coach!

longpig

This is insightful, as well.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://t0.gstatic.com/images%3Fq%3Dtbn:ANd9GcRxaKhugTs9SSZ1ryYhurYyFMzTwgKO9pNGRDLDBwWNUSvSiCa2&imgrefurl=http://books.google.com/books/about/Meat_Market.html%3Fid%3D-ykqBQAAQBAJ%26source%3Dkp_cover&h=400&w=264&tbnid=xMusFOpN4TxirM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=105&docid=9WM-FClyljd1MM&itg=1&usg=__kaWxI9u77fH29Mlhrdsyqp-Fsug=
Don't be scared, be smart.

hogfan_no1

Binge-watched it when it was first released a couple weeks ago.  Chad Kelly wasn't a major part of the story, but was kicked off Clemson's team, spent a year at EMCC, and will now start for Ole Miss.  Franklin (who was a major part of the story) will likely start at Auburn.

I really felt sorry for that poor "Academic Advisor".  She had her hands full because some of those guys couldn't spell "Mississippi" if you spotted them the first 5 letters.
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogfan_no1 on August 20, 2016, 11:53:22 am
Binge-watched it when it was first released a couple weeks ago.  Chad Kelly wasn't a major part of the story, but was kicked off Clemson's team, spent a year at EMCC, and will now start for Ole Miss.  Franklin (who was a major part of the story) will likely start at Auburn.

I really felt sorry for that poor "Academic Advisor".  She had her hands full because some of those guys couldn't spell "Mississippi" if you spotted them the first 5 letters.
Well, that's a trick question since there are only four different letters.   >:(

OutlawHawg

That coach is a real POS. Holds his players to one standard but has no professionalism or restraint himself.

jbcarol

How State plans to use 'Last Chance U' QB Wyatt Roberts this season

QuoteSTARKVILLE - As Mississippi State looks to replace Dak Prescott, the biggest name among the quarterbacks may be a walk-on. The Bulldogs added a few more quarterbacks to its team last week when classes started on campus and walk-ons joined the team. The additions included "Last Chance U" star Wyatt Roberts from East Mississippi Community College.

The Louisville native became a national name after appearing on the Netflix documentary on junior college football. The 6-foot signal caller completed 65.4 percent of his passes last year at East Mississippi. He threw for 2,197 yards with 23 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

"They said there was this kid, he'd like to walk on. He wants to get into coaching," coach Dan Mullen said. "I said, it would be a great opportunity for him. If you want to learn how to coach, to be a football coach, there's no better place to be than in this building."

Wyatt joined the team as a sophomore. He was a preferred walk-on, which means he didn't have to try out to earn a spot on the team.

His role, at least this year, will likely serve as scout team quarterback. It allows MSU's three other quarterbacks, who are competing for the starting job, to get every rep possible...

hogsfan31

Quote from: OutlawHawg on August 20, 2016, 12:19:50 pm
That coach is a real POS. Holds his players to one standard but has no professionalism or restraint himself.

Yep. I thought he was real sleazy too.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogsfan31 on August 20, 2016, 04:46:21 pm
Yep. I thought he was real sleazy too.
And his fans LOVE him. He is the "best Coach in JC".

He had some really bad moments but also seemed to acknowledge his hypocracy and learn something from his mistakes. Season 2 is on and being filmed this fall so we'll get a chance to see if ole buddy is a changed man. They did get ho'd and should have won back-to-back titles. The team they crushed the week before the brawl won the title. And that brawl was going to happen almost not matter what. The refs should have called that game long before that brawl.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

OutlawHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 20, 2016, 04:46:58 pm
And his fans LOVE him. He is the "best Coach in JC".

He had some really bad moments but also seemed to acknowledge his hypocracy and learn something from his mistakes. Season 2 is on and being filmed this fall so we'll get a chance to see if ole buddy is a changed man. They did get ho'd and should have won back-to-back titles. The team they crushed the week before the brawl won the title. And that brawl was going to happen almost not matter what. The refs should have called that game long before that brawl.

I blame the coach for the brawl. If another team is out to fight you and the refs are losing control, you get to half time as quickly and painlessly as possible. Calling two timeouts up 48 - 0 was just asking for a fight.

cmrhawg

By the second episode I found myself rooting hard against EMCC. Really good show though.

chiefhawg

If you have access to Netflix, "Last Chance U" is a must watch.  It gives candid uncensored inside look at a highly successful JUCO football program. East Mississippi Junior College in Scooba Mississippi. The last chance option for many D-1 players such as  QBs Chad Kelly at Ole Miss and John Franklin III now at Auburn.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: chiefhawg on August 23, 2016, 10:16:53 am
If you have access to Netflix, "Last Chance U" is a must watch.  It gives candid uncensored inside look at a highly successful JUCO football program. East Mississippi Junior College in Scooba Mississippi. The last chance option for many D-1 players such as  QBs Chad Kelly at Ole Miss and John Franklin III now at Auburn.

Did they mention Blinn College (Cam Newton's forgotten JC year...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/768799476102209537

QuoteFormer West Virginia and Florida State quarterback Clint Trickett entered the coaching business last year as quarterbacks coach at East Mississippi Community College. And his first season was a doozy. The Netflix documentary "Last Chance U" went behind the scenes for EMCC's insane 2015 season as the team chased its third consecutive NJCAA national championship.

Clint Trickett: ... Obviously we had a crazy year. That's not a normal year. So for that to be my first year in coaching was a little eye-opening to say the least. I think the documentary has been great for the school. We're seeing a lot of positive feedback.

***Spoiler Alert***

Obviously the ending puts a sour taste in our mouth, but we did a good job with the kids throughout the offseason to move past it.

CT: You know, I was honestly worried at first. I didn't want to be in it originally. I signed the release and kinda wanted to just avoid it and coach football. But they called my bluff and put me in it. It didn't exploit me in any bad way. They did a great job, very professional, so I had no problem with it. It's shot phenomenally, it's a great story and it gives college football fans a look into the junior college level that probably not a lot of people knew about.

Q: You mentioned moving past the brawl...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/WesleySinor/status/769010512273244160

QuoteWhen John Franklin III committed to Auburn last fall, he had a singular goal in mind — to be named the starting quarterback for the Clemson game and to hold that position for the entire season.

After a tight competition that lasted through spring and fall camp, head coach Gus Malzahn went in a different direction by naming redshirt sophomore Sean White his starter Thursday night. He declined to divulge his plans for Franklin or senior Jeremy Johnson moving forward, but at least one of Franklin's former coaches believes he's talented enough to be part of the game plan.

"I talked to (Franklin) recently and he was doing good and he's been doing what (Auburn's) asked him to do," Clint Trickett, Franklin's quarterback coach at East Mississippi Community College, told AL.com. "I told him it's probably going to the type of competition that definitely goes into the season. I dealt with one of those at West Virginia. It sucks, but someone has to step up and be the guy.

Franklin has been in this situation before. He backed up James Winston at Florida State in 2013 and 2014. With the belief that his opportunities in Tallahassee were slimming, he decided to transfer to East Mississippi Community College for one season before making a jump back to a major program. EMCC played Franklin a good bit, but teammate Wyatt Robert got the majority of the starts and reps.

"I think he probably learned from that," Trickett said. "He's been in competition before and knows how to handle it. It's a different level, obviously, but he knows what to do now. He knows he has to make the most of his opportunities when he gets them... Obviously every quarterback wants to be in there, but he knows he's going to have to do his little deal first before he gets in there. He's going to do it, and he's going to try to make the most of it so that he is in there the whole time."

It's rare for schools to recruit and sign junior college players and not play them.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DCTheState/status/769534667414441984

QuoteThe depiction of Scooba, Miss., is stark.

A gleaming, massive football stadium rises out of the rural Mississippi countryside. Football players, many talented enough to play at larger schools, pass through, getting the reputation cleansing or necessary eligibility to move on, as soon as possible.

This is East Mississippi Community College, the world that South Carolina junior defensive end Dante Sawyer passed through between North Gwinnett High in Georgia and arriving in Columbia.

East Mississippi's dominant program was the subject of the Netflix documentary "Last Chance U," which chronicled the tumultuous 2015 season of a team that had won three national titles in four years.

"It was pretty fun just to see," Sawyer said. "Just have everybody see what goes on in old Scooba, Miss."

Sawyer was on the 2014 title team. His USC teammates said they watched because he'd played there and got a look at life on that track of college football. He admitted he didn't expect the documentary would show as much as it did.

In Sawyer's lone junior college season, he posted 21 tackles, including 6 1/2 sacks and 10 1/2 tackles for loss for the Lions. His team went 12-0, winning every game by at least two touchdowns – 10 by 39 points or more. That squad included Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly.

"It was a life-changing experience," Sawyer said. "It humbled me to the point where I recognized I didn't do enough in high school. Made me see a different view of everything."