Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Collateral damage to Enos

Started by The Kig, November 08, 2017, 01:57:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kig

Coming into the season, Enos was hitting everyone's radar for landing a major gig in the very near future.  He even may have had some mid-level feelers last year and was certainly on some SEC teams OC shortlist, if not for the non-compete.   

He turned BA into an NFLer and the offense was clicking (other than OL woes) when AA took over.  This year the OL is worse, he doesn't have an NFL TE, the WR core was young before JC went down, RB injuries, AA running for his life, AND a defense that is somehow even worse than last year's historically bad performance.   While much of that doesn't fall on his shoulders, I didn't see his calming influence on AA when things were going bad which was surprising. 

Since he has been here, we have found a way to outscore our terrible Defense often and pull out wins.  Maybe it's a function of the Bellyma self destruction and the whole team crying uncle.  Assuming Bert loses his job, that will also likely mean Enos isn't retained and he could be scrambling to take something vs. what I suspected would happen to him being able to be selective and take a higher profile job, like say TN or something on that level. 

Thoughts?
Poker Porker

PorkRinds

I feel like when he leaves here after CBB is gone he will have some good offers. He's a good OC, he just has too much to overcome here with CBB at the helm.

HoggyCat

Bert is overruling him. Plus there's the history with Matt Canada. I doubt anyone is gonna fault him for the crap team here. Plus Anderson is a big reason the offense struggles a lot.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

King Kong

He will be okay. He has proven himself

010HogFan

Either Bielema has been handcuffing him and affecting the calls made on the field or he is highly overrated, just my opinion. He has called some good games here and there but has made just as many puzzling decisions (End of the Mississippi State game when BA was on fire, jet sweeps inside the 5 yd line, and the 4th and 1 dribble pass, for instance)

Dropkick

Enos is a fine OC in my opinion. I think he will have no problem landing on his feet.

Luke STYwalker

I think he does really well in his preperation and game planning.  Not so sure about his on the fly adjustments.  But then again we were spoiled to Petrino's elite ability at that. 
    I don't fault him for plays that didn't work, because he has called a lot of crazy one's that did work over the last few years. You gotta take the good with the bad. I think he will be fine, and land a job somewhere and I wouldn't be too terribly upset if he somehow stayed after Beilema is gone.

WaltonCollege

I think a fine OC would have seen how bad our O line was in the off-season and made adjustments to scheme around it. Yes KA is the line coach but Enos is KAs boss so it is under Enos' authority and obligation to field a good o line.

Dropkick

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 08, 2017, 02:15:00 pm
I think a fine OC would have seen how bad our O line was in the off-season and made adjustments to scheme around it. Yes KA is the line coach but Enos is KAs boss so it is under Enos' authority and obligation to field a good o line.
How would you "scheme" around it?

PorkRinds

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 08, 2017, 02:15:00 pm

A fine OC will continually struggle to make chicken darn into chicken salad. Our OL is a mess and Bret is responsible.

hawgon

It's hard to judge any of these assistants with the possible exception of Anderson.  Fish rots from the head and like Petrino was able to make his weak staff look good, this coach makes assistants look bad.  Are they all world beaters?  No, probably not.  Are they as bad as they look?  Almost certainly not.

It is just a shoddy disorganized mess up there right now.  No one is going to triumph in that atmosphere.

DeltaBoy

He needs to cut and run soon for his own self preservation.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: Dropkick on November 08, 2017, 02:16:15 pm

Not sure but he's getting paid $800,000 to figure it out

KennyForAD

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 08, 2017, 01:59:44 pm
I feel like when he leaves here after CBB is gone he will have some good offers. He's a good OC, he just has too much to overcome here with CBB at the helm.

Sure.  Look at his predecessor.  The coaches know what the problem is at Arkansas.  Is isn't Enos.

PorkRinds

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 08, 2017, 02:23:11 pm
Sure.  Look at his predecessor.  The coaches know what the problem is at Arkansas.  Is isn't Enos.

I still believe that Chaney will eventually show why Chaney is terrible. Although with Georgia level talent maybe he won't get desperate and call crappy plays repeatedly.

davehog

Most football coaches are able to identify what's wrong with the offense and it's not the OC. The avg. fan can detect what's blatantly wrong with the offense.

The day that Sam Pittman left for UGA was the day that the downfall started for the CBB era.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dropkick on November 08, 2017, 02:04:52 pm
Enos is a fine OC in my opinion. I think he will have no problem landing on his feet.
Generally speaking Enos has done a pretty good job as an OC. Obviously this year has been pretty much a disaster; however, with that in mind one has to ask "Did Dan all of a sudden forget how to call plays and execute a sound game plan or is there other factors at work-such a very poor OL play and/or his struggling to find playmakers at places like WR ??? Personally I think it's likely the latter; and perhaps even a smattering of possible interference from the HC when it comes to play calling.

Razorfox

Quote from: WaltonCollege on November 08, 2017, 02:22:03 pm
Not sure but he’s getting paid $800,000 to figure it out

You can't scheme around a bad o-line and beat competition (who might make more money than him, like that really matters) that doesn't have to scheme around theirs. 

At some point, they're just better and there's nothing he can do about that. 

hawgon

I fully believe that one reason Enos is so high on CK is that he has been able convince Bert that because of CK's inexperience and his comfort with the shotgun to do more things from the shotgun and with spread principles.  Whereas with AA Bert insisted on a lot more under center and longer developing plays that got him killed.

Dwight_K_Shrute

He will be fine and with all the HC jobs opening up will be in demand as an OC when HC builds his staff or could get a look as a G5 HC as those ranks are culled for better jobs. If GD Jim Honey Boo Boo can end up at GA then Dan Enos has nothing to worry about
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

I believe Enos and Chaney are good at their jobs.  I believe both were used.  I hope Enos isn't damaged enough to run his career.  Left alone and with a decent line coach, i suspect he could put a good offense on the field.

atom hog

Here's the bottom line... I don't get a sense that we can out-scheme anybody. And the fact that a few send ago, Enos said he forgot about getting Hammonds involved in the game, makes him very suspect to me. Also the inability to make in-game adjustments is killing this team. Maybe it's the bad leadership from the top, but no matter, this team is NEVER prepared.

26.2Hog

As bad as our offensive line is, our offense is still better than our defense.

oldhog63

If all he was doing is scheming around a porous OL, then he might be able to do something. When your boss is constantly killing any momentum you build, limiting the use of play makers, etc, I don't know if anyone could overcome that.

MJ2

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 08, 2017, 03:07:56 pm

Is this Rick Schaeffer?

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 26.2Hog on November 08, 2017, 03:07:56 pm
Now how's THAT for a "left handed compliment" ??? :-[

flynhog

The day that Sam Pittman left for UGA was the day that the downfall started for the CBB era.

[/quote]

Well said Dave
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

TebowHater

This might be Dan's best year. The fact we are averaging 30 points a game (55th nationally) with this God-awful OL, after losing our starting RB, our best starting WR, our All-American center, our starting QB, and our entire receiving core after last season is pretty impressive. Not to mention an incompetent HC who seems to insist on the playing and not-playing of certain players.

For comparison, we averaged 30.3 points per game last year and were 57th in scoring O. In 2015, we averaged 36 PPG and were 27th (that was obviously probably the best year, but we were also loaded. I am surprised we have scored as much as we have this year.)

I acknowledge our average could fall with the upcoming games, though that is no guarantee with MSU and Mizzou.

farmhawg

Quote from: 010HogFan on November 08, 2017, 02:02:30 pm
Either Bielema has been handcuffing him and affecting the calls made on the field or he is highly overrated, just my opinion. He has called some good games here and there but has made just as many puzzling decisions (End of the Mississippi State game when BA was on fire, jet sweeps inside the 5 yd line, and the 4th and 1 dribble pass, for instance)
All Bert, same crazy chit happened with Chaney.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hoggish1

Enos can take care of himself.  Will be in great demand everywhere.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: TebowHater on November 08, 2017, 06:31:35 pm
This might be Dan's best year. The fact we are averaging 30 points a game (55th nationally) with this God-awful OL, after losing our starting RB, our best starting WR, our All-American center, our starting QB, and our entire receiving core after last season is pretty impressive. Not to mention an incompetent HC who seems to insist on the playing and not-playing of certain players.

For comparison, we averaged 30.3 points per game last year and were 57th in scoring O. In 2015, we averaged 36 PPG and were 27th (that was obviously probably the best year, but we were also loaded. I am surprised we have scored as much as we have this year.)

I acknowledge our average could fall with the upcoming games, though that is no guarantee with MSU and Mizzou.

Great post.
Very different and balanced take.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

urkillnmesmalls

I have to admit, I like Enos, and I actually thought that BB was going to lose to the Chantarella's last weekend, and he would likely be the interim.  I actually wanted to see how he would do, because I think we could do worse with our next hire than Enos as HC. 

Am I the only one who sort of had at least a little curiosity about how he might do?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Pig in the Pokey

like Mike Leach has for years. Like we will next year with mike.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 08, 2017, 09:07:01 pm
like Mike Leach has for years. Like we will next year with mike.

You don't really believe that do you?

East Clintwood

Run your offense from the punt formation?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on November 08, 2017, 08:19:47 pm
Enos offense has always sucked in the red zone

But we don't know just how much Bert interferes with what Enos wants to do.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

GoHogs1091

The only 2 decent Coaches on this coaching staff (Enos and Lunney, Jr.) are now damaged.

One of the consequences of hiring from the Mediocre 10 Conference a Head Coach with a sham record.

Hopefully, Enos and Lunney, Jr. can salvage their coaching careers, perhaps in the Sun Belt Conference.   

PorkRinds

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 08, 2017, 09:20:48 pm
The only 2 decent Coaches on this coaching staff (Enos and Lunney, Jr.) are now damaged.

One of the consequences of hiring from the Mediocre 10 Conference a Head Coach with a sham record.

Hopefully, Enos and Lunney, Jr. can salvage their coaching careers, perhaps in the Sun Belt Conference.

They'll both be at p5 jobs unless Enos is a head coach at a lower level.

WaltonCollege

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 08, 2017, 09:20:48 pm

Our TEs have progressed horribly, I sold all my Lunney stock.Having 3 nfl TEs in Henry, Derby, and Gragg made his job easy.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Dropkick on November 08, 2017, 02:04:52 pm

Who knows he may be back someday too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

1highhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 08, 2017, 01:59:44 pm

How do y'all account for alot of the bone headed play calling we see at times?  Are you going to tell me that Bielema over rules Enos on all the bone headed ones?

The Kig

Quote from: TebowHater on November 08, 2017, 06:31:35 pm

Hadn't looked past the terrible record to see we are scoring points.   Good post.  He certainly has less to work with...whatever tard made the comment about his salary vs the terrible OL has no clue.  One weak link can be schemed around.  2 is almost impossible, especially if they are on the same side.  Having 4, even with an All-American at Center severely limits most play calls.
Poker Porker

The Kig

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 08, 2017, 09:05:23 pm
Am I the only one who sort of had at least a little curiosity about how he might do?   

I would rather have him than the majority of the names that those proclaiming to be "in-the-know" keep throwing around.  Especially since I don't think we bid enough to win the Norvell sweepstakes.
Poker Porker

PorkRinds

Quote from: 1highhog on November 08, 2017, 10:44:46 pm
How do y'all account for alot of the bone headed play calling we see at times?  Are you going to tell me that Bielema over rules Enos on all the bone headed ones?

Bone head plays are just ones that don't work...

Jimbob111

Quote from: flynhog on November 08, 2017, 03:51:16 pm

Well said Dave

Sam Pittman didn't leave for Georgia. He went to a directional Florida school THEN went to Georgia, right?
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Jimbob111 on November 08, 2017, 11:51:12 pm
Sam Pittman didn't leave for Georgia. He went to a directional Florida school THEN went to Georgia, right?

Nope.

Steef

Our Oline HAS regressed under Anderson. But it wasn't great under Pittman, either.

If reports are correct, Enos and Bielema don't see eye to eye on planning....but the offense has sucked since Enos got here, so I'm not dazzled by him, either way.

I think everyone on our staff takes a hit on their resume'. I think it's likely they deserve it.

Razorfox

Quote from: Steef on November 09, 2017, 08:15:24 am
Our Oline HAS regressed under Anderson. But it wasn't great under Pittman, either.

If reports are correct, Enos and Bielema don't see eye to eye on planning....but the offense has sucked since Enos got here, so I'm not dazzled by him, either way.

I think everyone on our staff takes a hit on their resume'. I think it's likely they deserve it.

The offense has NOT sucked under Enos.  Where do you get that from?  It's not true statistically, won us the games that we have won, and has showcased the talent we do have very well.  Unfortunately our OL stinks and it's hampered this year terribly bad because of it. 

The NewEra

I was finally bored enough last night that I watched "The Bret Bielema Show" I had recorded.  I initially believed B when he said he let his OC's coach without interference.  I no longer believe that after seeing several instances over the past five years where he's said conflicting things about why a specific play was called.  Just last night he said in the final TD drive he said to put Hammonds in and run the sweep.  He also said on the final drive that he told Enos he had four downs all the way and that he didn't care whether he ran or passed the ball on every play.  That tells me he's given Enos specific directions in the past that have handcuffed what Enos might have otherwise called if he were given complete freedom.  B may not be calling the plays on every down, but there's no doubt in my mind he's given instructions to Enos how plays should be mixed and matched.  Add to that, I believe B is the one who says who will play or not play on both sides of the ball and how many snaps an individual may or may not get.  I've seen several instances where Bielema loves to tinker and I think it's negatively affected Enos and possibly Rhodes natural tendencies.

There's no doubt in my mind that coaches on offense have been told they will get a certain amount of carries to D. Williams and Whaley.  I believe that's one of the reasons it took Hammonds so long to get any meaningful snaps. 

Steef

Quote from: Razorfox on November 09, 2017, 08:19:24 am
The offense has NOT sucked under Enos.  Where do you get that from?  It's not true statistically, won us the games that we have won, and has showcased the talent we do have very well.  Unfortunately our OL stinks and it's hampered this year terribly bad because of it.

We will have to disagree.