All Things Texas: Merged

Started by cypress rock, March 11, 2018, 07:37:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgball40

Quote from: Bass_Hawg on March 15, 2018, 06:48:47 pm
Piss on texas
that's awesome. Just sent this to my stepdad. he's a texan. haha

S&W

If my 2 choices are hell or texass,  I'm choosing hell everytime. 

TexasDad

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2018, 06:41:49 pm
Dad, if you're in your 50's or older, you've learned to hate Texass with a passion as an Arkansas Razorback fan. You're not from Arkansas, so I couldn't expect you to understand it, it's like the hatred between aTm and UT, some schools you just don't like. As to the loss of Garrido, it's a sad day for college baseball.

With 38% of the current Razorback roster being Texas natives (my kid last year too) some might consider separating the disdain for the school from the state - LOL. I'm a California native and don't have a horse in that race - but after last season, I've adopted the Hogs as the college team I follow.

I'll just say that I've really enjoyed the baseball IQ of the Razorback fans. Couple that with the class and respect I've witnessed at the ball field and this board I was surprised by some of the comments about a down year (down decade) Texas team on the day of Augie's death. I guess as with most things, you'd have to look at it as if the situation were reversed to know if it's outside appropriate respect.

Looking forward to the Hogs taking it to Kentucky this week - WPS!

Knot2brite

Quote from: TexasDad on March 15, 2018, 11:26:10 pm
With 38% of the current Razorback roster being Texas natives (my kid last year too) some might consider separating the disdain for the school from the state - LOL. I'm a California native and don't have a horse in that race - but after last season, I've adopted the Hogs as the college team I follow.

I'll just say that I've really enjoyed the baseball IQ of the Razorback fans. Couple that with the class and respect I've witnessed at the ball field and this board I was surprised by some of the comments about a down year (down decade) Texas team on the day of Augie's death. I guess as with most things, you'd have to look at it as if the situation were reversed to know if it's outside appropriate respect.

Augie never got the hate from Arkansas that Gustafason got because when Augie took over the evil empire we were already in the SEC. Yeah we played them a few times in the NCAA regionals etc. but he never was a true tea sipper to most Hog fans. Yeah we love having Texas kids on our baseball team. It makes new Hog fans who go home to the land of the lost and encourages more kids to become Arkansas fans. Living at the gates of hell ( Texas/Arkansas border) I can tell you that the fan fueled distain between the two sides is alive and well. I don't wish any ill or harm to come to the fine upstanding folks of Texas. I just hope that all their teams lose every game ....see...we didn't wish death or anything upon them...just losing
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

ricepig

Quote from: TexasDad on March 15, 2018, 11:26:10 pm

I'm sorry, are those kids at UT? No, they're at school at Arkansas, correct? You can't separate the state of Texas from the University of Texas, two different things. I said you wouldn't understand it, and I was correct.

Again, the thread has nothing to do with Garrido's death, I didn't realize he stood for all of Texas since the SWC days.

TexasDad

Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2018, 08:08:55 am
I'm sorry, are those kids at UT? No, they're at school at Arkansas, correct? You can't separate the state of Texas from the University of Texas, two different things. I said you wouldn't understand it, and I was correct.

Again, the thread has nothing to do with Garrido's death, I didn't realize he stood for all of Texas since the SWC days.

Everyone is entitled to be grumpy on occasion, and some of the comments the day of Augie's death rubbed me the wrong way (my issue).  As a parent of a ballplayer, you root for your kid regardless of school affiliation or rivalry. I feel this way about ballplayers I know and coaches I've met and respect too.

I do believe college baseball is better if historically great programs like Texas and USC are in the mix at the top. I find this true for college football and pro golf - love him or hate him pro golf is more interesting with a competitive Tiger.

Arkansas will recruit many of best players out of Texas until UT is relevant again. For the Longhorns, that's going to take student engagement (like a Hog pen), a better ballpark with real grass (something fitting of a baseball tradition, like Baum), an amazing development facility (like an indoor practice field and superb analytics – like Baum) and world class leadership like Johnson and DVH.

No worries - I don't see Austin making that kind of commitment to baseball (TCU and Texas Tech are another story) - Although who in their right mind would pick Lubbock over Fayetteville?     

WPS!

311Hog

Auggie is a legend, i personally mean no offense TexasDad.  I totally noticed he sheer volume of Texas kids on Arkansas roster during the game, but that has always been that way in all sports.  Similar to the Louisiana kids it just means more to them.

dotnet

Quote from: Knot2brite on March 16, 2018, 12:32:55 am
Augie never got the hate from Arkansas that Gustafason got because when Augie took over the evil empire we were already in the SEC. Yeah we played them a few times in the NCAA regionals etc. but he never was a true tea sipper to most Hog fans. Yeah we love having Texas kids on our baseball team. It makes new Hog fans who go home to the land of the lost and encourages more kids to become Arkansas fans. Living at the gates of hell ( Texas/Arkansas border) I can tell you that the fan fueled distain between the two sides is alive and well. I don't wish any ill or harm to come to the fine upstanding folks of Texas. I just hope that all their teams lose every game ....see...we didn't wish death or anything upon them...just losing

Yeah, I think this is a good summary.  I'm not sure why the death of a legendary CSF coach would change my feelings or comments about Texas. 

With that said, I think the negative talk about the state is pretty ridiculous and not that many people I know actually do that.  Heck, Dallas and Houston have a lot of alumni

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: TeufelHog on March 13, 2018, 10:25:46 pm
I'm over 45 and understand as well -BUT- it's time to leave the past in the past and turn our "collective hate" on Mizzou.  In all sports!

Some things are not subject to change in certain minds.  If you said the Hogs can only win 2 baseball games all season, so what are your two games you pick?, my answer would be Texas and Texas.

ricepig

Quote from: TexasDad on March 16, 2018, 09:16:29 am
Everyone is entitled to be grumpy on occasion, and some of the comments the day of Augie's death rubbed me the wrong way (my issue).  As a parent of a ballplayer, you root for your kid regardless of school affiliation or rivalry. I feel this way about ballplayers I know and coaches I've met and respect too.

I do believe college baseball is better if historically great programs like Texas and USC are in the mix at the top. I find this true for college football and pro golf - love him or hate him pro golf is more interesting with a competitive Tiger.

Arkansas will recruit many of best players out of Texas until UT is relevant again. For the Longhorns, that's going to take student engagement (like a Hog pen), a better ballpark with real grass (something fitting of a baseball tradition, like Baum), an amazing development facility (like an indoor practice field and superb analytics – like Baum) and world class leadership like Johnson and DVH.

No worries - I don't see Austin making that kind of commitment to baseball (TCU and Texas Tech are another story) - Although who in their right mind would pick Lubbock over Fayetteville?     

WPS!

No problem, we appreciate getting to watch Trevor last year and hope continued success for him. It's just a Arkansas-Texas thing for the older generation. My oldest graduated a few years ago and several of his fraternity brothers were from Texas, mostly HP in Dallas. When we would have Dad's Day and such, while we were gathered around a TV watching football games before our game,  some Dad would always want to watch UT's game. We had to tell them we wanted to watch the conference game that was on. They got the hang of it by the 4th year.

Hopefully we get to watch some baseball in Omaha this year!

pigture perfect

I don't see a thing wrong with a competitive hatred of another school as long as it's not a personal hatred of somebody. That makes for a consistently good series when one team or the other doesn't have the quality personnel of the other. I'm a fan of those games that can truly be said of, that "You can throw the Records out of the Window". Since Texas has a larger population and a better High School Athletic Association, we may not get the notoriety. But I truly believe that we have just as good if not better gene pool to pull from. Just not as many. So yeah, we have to get players from other places. That's ok. So Go Hogs, and beat All Texas schools. Shoot let's beat eerbody.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

TexasDad

March 16, 2018, 01:47:13 pm #111 Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:23:21 pm by TexasDad
Quote from: ricepig on March 16, 2018, 10:09:45 am
Hopefully we get to watch some baseball in Omaha this year!

I'm disappointed we didn't get to go last season - but this is an exceptionally talented team this year and the sky's the limit. I've been looking forward to the conference portion of this season for months! WPS!

WorfHog

Just dropping a Frank Texas into the thread to celebrate the sweep.