Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not the OPINION I wanted to hear..

Started by BR, November 06, 2017, 12:33:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

November 06, 2017, 12:33:09 pm Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:52:34 pm by BR
This morning on Sirius/XM Full Ride Show:  They Talked about Arkansas, Barrett Sallee & Chris both thought Arkansas would keep Bret another year thinking that Arkansas wouldn't want to get involved in a bidding war with all the other Schools that will have openings and half to settle for a lower tier Coach...     Thinking the Florida, Tennessee,  A*M, UCLA, Nebraska all would be open along with Ole Miss.  I think money wise we can compete with any of them... They also said that Mike Norvell at Memphis would be a perfect fit for the Hogs..   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Marshfieldhog

Stupid argument, all you need is one like Norvell. Even a lower tier coach will be better than 11-26 Bert.

The Hawg Marshal

They have opinions just like the rest of us.

BR

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 06, 2017, 12:35:31 pm
Stupid argument, all you need is one like Norvell. Even a lower tier coach will be better than 11-26 Bert.
What's stupid about it, What if 3 other schools want Norvell also...  We getting into a Bidding war? All of those schools have money also...  What if we were like Tenn when they hired Butch Jones, he was like 4th on their pecking order?   Just asking, it is a valid discussion..  Supply & Demand:  Job Openings -vs- Qualified Applicants

Hoggie17

Every year schools are bidding for coaches. This year will be no different from next year. What wimps we would be. We are poor  little Arkansas no one would want to come here.

We can win the bidding war and we can win on the field.

Ham Ham Pigelow

I heard the segment as well.  It was a very uninformed conversation, to say the least. You don't just keep a coach simply because there will be other openings.  If it's time, it's time.  These pundits make the coaching search thing sound like some type of hot coach draft amongst programs.  I would be willing to bet Arkansas has a very good shot at hiring Mike Norvell if Long is interested. 

bob slydell

Never understood that argument.  If all of the top tier guys get scooped up this year, are we making more for next year?  It's not like they are going to hang out waiting for our job to open up.  They are getting hired by someone this year so it stands to reason that they won't be available next year.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

oldhog63

After the homecoming crowd and the crowds for the last two games, I doubt even Long would foolish enough to keep Bielema another year.

The Hogfather

Dwight_K_Shrute

It's not news.  It's opinion.  You can say "Not the news I wanted to hear" if come 12/1 or so BB is still the coach.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BR

JUST a What if..........  Fill in the Blank........

Nebraska: Scott Frost
Tenn: Mike Norvell Florida: Dan Mullen
A*M: Chad Morris
UCLA: Chip Kelly

Miss State:
Ole Miss:
Arkansas: 
SMU:
Maybe Illinois:
Maybe Louisville: 
Memphis:

BR

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2017, 12:50:59 pm
It's not news.  It's opinion.  You can say "Not the news I wanted to hear" if come 12/1 or so BB is still the coach.
Whatever: Not the opinion I wanted to hear.......

Mr. Porkleone

Please.  We're building 175 million plus enclosure.  Money's no object

The Hogfather

Quote from: BR on November 06, 2017, 12:51:28 pm

Tenn: Some Crazy Person
Florida: Dan Mullen

Miss State:
Ole Miss:
Arkansas:  Mike Norvell
SMU:
Maybe Illinois:
Maybe Louisville: 
Memphis:

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 06, 2017, 01:05:05 pm
Hogfather FTW.

Wait, I can do better.

Tenn: Some Crazy Person
Florida: Dan Mullen

Miss State:  Christopher Walken
Ole Miss:  Robert E. Lee (the Asian announcer)
Arkansas:  Mike Norvell
SMU:  Ponyboy Curtis
Maybe Illinois:  Obama or Public Enemy (Bring the Noise---The Illi Noise)
Maybe Louisville:  Pitino
Memphis:  Bielema (coach swap)

farmhawg

Quote from: BR on November 06, 2017, 12:33:09 pm
This morning on Sirius/XM Full Ride Show:  They Talked about Arkansas, Barrett Sallee & Chris both thought Arkansas would keep Bret another year thinking that Arkansas wouldn't want to get involved in a bidding war with all the other Schools that will have openings and half to settle for a lower tier Coach...     Thinking the Florida, Tennessee,  A*M, UCLA, Nebraska all would be open along with Ole Miss.  I think money wise we can compete with any of them... They also said that Mike Norvell at Memphis would be a perfect fit for the Hogs..   
We couldn't pick one worse than what we have so I fail to see the reason to wait.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 06, 2017, 01:09:29 pm
Wait, I can do better.

Well played.  I like the OM and MSU selections the best. 

Ham Ham Pigelow

Miss State:
Ole Miss:
Arkansas: 
SMU:
Maybe Illinois:
Maybe Louisville: 
Memphis:
Here's who I think are realistic, that I would take over CBB.  I believe Matt Campbell stays if he's not happy with an offer.

Charlie Strong
Dana Holgorsen (Maybe wants to get back closer to Texas)
Greg Schiano
Kyle Whittingham (Gauge his interest..Bronco Mendenhall left BYU for Virginia)
Neal Brown
Lane Kiffin
Joe Moorhead
Gus Malzahn

Miss State: Mark Hudspeth
Ole Miss: Neal Brown
Arkansas:  See above
SMU: Sonny Cumbie
Maybe Illinois: Bert
Maybe Louisville: Jason Candle
Memphis: Tee Martin

Paul

There are people here in Memphis who have said Norvell said if the Head Hog job opens up he'll fight for the job.  I have no links...just hearsay from people I trust

rzrbackhogfan

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 06, 2017, 12:36:05 pm
They have opinions just like the rest of us.

Every year is a coaching bidding war. 

Baylor, TX, Cal, Cinci, LSU, MN, OR,

SC, MO, GA, USC, Miami, VA Tech, Syracuse

FL, NE, MI, WI, Pitt, OR St,

Penn St, TX, WA, Vandy, Louisville

There are coaching changes EVERY year.  Do you really think there will be a year when we would be the only team looking for a new coach?  Are they waiting on the right coach to come to Fayetteville asking for the job? 

widespreadsooie

Sallee will say anything to aggravate Razorbacks

Ironhawg

Isn't Barrett Sallee an Ole Miss guy?  I don't know that I would worry about his opinion on anything.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: rzrbackhogfan on November 06, 2017, 03:10:22 pm
Every year is a coaching bidding war. 

Baylor, TX, Cal, Cinci, LSU, MN, OR,

SC, MO, GA, USC, Miami, VA Tech, Syracuse

FL, NE, MI, WI, Pitt, OR St,

Penn St, TX, WA, Vandy, Louisville

There are coaching changes EVERY year.  Do you really think there will be a year when we would be the only team looking for a new coach?  Are they waiting on the right coach to come to Fayetteville asking for the job? 
I'm of the belief that there is no reason to worry about who else is looking for a coach.

Hawghiggs

We might not get the " Big Name/Flavor of the Year Coach ". But Arkansas can still lure plenty of good coaches away from their current position.

HF#1

While they make a decent point, the pool of coaches that could be had is as big as it has ever been in my opinion.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Wmhog

I live in Memphis and have lots of Memphis fans for friends. ( sucks, I know)  They are so hoping Bret isn't let go.  They think that's where Norvell wants to be.

ipigsooie

Miss State:
Ole Miss:
Arkansas: 
SMU:
Maybe Illinois:
Maybe Louisville: 
Memphis:

Norvell is not choosing tennessee over arkansas.

Wooderson

Is Tennessee still having financial difficulties?  They were a few years ago.  As far as not wanting to get in a bidding war, the loss of revenue next year will be ten fold what getting into a bidding war would cost.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

riccoar

Pardon my frankness.  If we are willing to sit out a year with Bielema to save money, just so we can pick from the scraps left over, then shut this thing down today.

clutch

Quote from: Wooderson on November 07, 2017, 06:53:53 am
Is Tennessee still having financial difficulties?  They were a few years ago.  As far as not wanting to get in a bidding war, the loss of revenue next year will be ten fold what getting into a bidding war would cost.

I thought they were, but then there were the rumors a week ago of them offering Gruden $10 mil, so I don't know.