Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great quote in today's paper from Kelvin Gragg, Will and Chris's dad

Started by Boarcephus, June 21, 2015, 06:34:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

"If you go to Arkansas and you take care of business, you do your classwork like Chris did and graduate and play for the Razorbacks and you stay out of trouble, that is a recipe for success in Arkansas.  Once you go and you do what you're supposed to do in college, there are businessmen in the state of Arkansas who remember how you carried yourself.    That will take you a long way in making a living after football is over". 

Every single in-state prospect needs to take a long look at this.  Might be hard for them to believe but there is life after football.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

JoeyCapital

"Every SEC school gives you extras. At most schools those extras only last 4 years. At Arkansas they last the rest of your life"

I will gladly allow the UA to use that. Royalties are negotiable.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Hoggish1

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 21, 2015, 06:34:00 am
"If you go to Arkansas and you take care of business, you do your classwork like Chris did and graduate and play for the Razorbacks and you stay out of trouble, that is a recipe for success in Arkansas.  Once you go and you do what you're supposed to do in college, there are businessmen in the state of Arkansas who remember how you carried yourself.    That will take you a long way in making a living after football is over". 

Every single in-state prospect needs to take a long look at this.  Might be hard for them to believe but there is life after football.

Great message to any player looking to leave the state.  If your state team wants you, accept their offer—it pays long after football is over.

Hogarusa

Isnt that the way it is for every student athlete at every University?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogarusa on June 21, 2015, 08:36:29 am

No not at all!  Many of the too sec schools wash their hands of them after playing days.  Bama, auburn, ms state are three Ive heard many stories about not helping.  But then again, those stories might all be out there for everyone.  Arkansas does have a long history of helping players after the playing days

Vantage 8 dude

yraciv

I highly believe this is a misconception.  Every school in the SEC has big boosters in state that look to help out their own after you are done with football.  Are we better at it then others?  I'm not sure about that!  I know there are some former players floating around the state, who have a degree, represented us well,  but aren't the brightest guys and have struggled to get a good job.  Then there are guys on the other end of the spectrum.

I do believe that in some way we look out for our own.  If two similar resumes walk in the door and one was a former Razorback the fan in me would definitely lead toward the Razorback.  That  being said those kinesiology degrees and some other degrees are players get isn't going to impress me as much when compared to others.

But then again, I don't feel if Chris Gragg went off to play for Texas he would have had any problem finding a job there in his post Texas days.  Damian Williams is still trying to make it in the NFL at this point, but I'm sure numerous USC boosters would be willing to help him out if he wanted to start a career.  He is also a great guy and very personable, so I'm sure he could come back to Arkansas and start a career as well.  It's more about how you carry yourself, education, experience and connections when you get in the working world. 

Mike Irwin

No. Had an ex brother in law that left the state to play for Baylor. When his NFL career ended after one season Baylor was nowhere around. He ended up okay, some ex NFL players got him involved in their business, but his Baylor connection had zip to do with it.

jry04

No. You think Alabama boosters care about that WR who had 500 yards receiving on a 10-2 team? Or that RB who ran for 800 yards on a 9-3 team? The in-state kids who represent the state well in college and after are given opportunities far beyond football after they graduate that other schools don't care about. I know a few football players who were never the star of the team that didn't cut it in pro ball, but got a job right away after school because they stayed home to play for the Hogs.

Hoggish1

Quote from: jry04 on June 21, 2015, 05:24:44 pm
No. You think Alabama boosters care about that WR who had 500 yards receiving on a 10-2 team? Or that RB who ran for 800 yards on a 9-3 team? The in-state kids who represent the state well in college and after are given opportunities far beyond football after they graduate that other schools don't care about. I know a few football players who were never the star of the team that didn't cut it in pro ball, but got a job right away after school because they stayed home to play for the Hogs.

That's what a kid needs to keep in mind (parents need to impress the on their child).  Stay home.  Play for you state school.  If you are NFL caliber, you will go there wherever you play, so why not stay home?

Case in point:  Damien Harris is going to Bama from Berea, KY, where I live, instead of UK, 35 miles up the road.  Big mistake!

Stay home and be the stud (get to the NFL from there).  Go to Bama and be another running back.  All that glitters is not gold...

HogWall Jackson

Not so much. I am familiar with TX and Louisiana. A&M does ok by their guys. LSU not as much and the University of TX has been so Big for so long guys just get lost. At Arkansas the entire State is for the most part made up of Loyal Fans with no Pro teams. Just being a Razorback is very Special and it's favorite sons are not forgotten! Doors just open easier for the guys that played it straight.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 21, 2015, 08:36:22 pm
That's what a kid needs to keep in mind (parents need to impress the on their child).  Stay home.  Play for you state school.  If you are NFL caliber, you will go there wherever you play, so why not stay home?

Case in point:  Damien Harris is going to Bama from Berea, KY, where I live, instead of UK, 35 miles up the road.  Big mistake!

Stay home and be the stud (get to the NFL from there).  Go to Bama and be another running back.  All that glitters is not gold...

Same with Tenpenny. Looks where it got him lololol... Transferred to UNLV after a couple of minor run ins with the law. Could have been a productive back here, or at least gotten a shot along side JW and AC. Too bad, so sad.

Biggus Piggus

In Alabama, loyalties are divided. Half the state holds it against you, being a famous alum of the enemy. Look in Florida, three big football schools that hate each other (and more schools trying to grow up all the time). Georgia's divided, South Carolina's a clean split, Texas is broken up into pieces. Tennessee-Knoxville is not universally respected in Nashville and Memphis.

This sort of thing is not automatic.
[CENSORED]!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2015, 12:54:40 pm
I highly believe this is a misconception.  Every school in the SEC has big boosters in state that look to help out their own after you are done with football.  Are we better at it then others?  I'm not sure about that!  I know there are some former players floating around the state, who have a degree, represented us well,  but aren't the brightest guys and have struggled to get a good job.  Then there are guys on the other end of the spectrum.

I do believe that in some way we look out for our own.  If two similar resumes walk in the door and one was a former Razorback the fan in me would definitely lead toward the Razorback.  That  being said those kinesiology degrees and some other degrees are players get isn't going to impress me as much when compared to others.

But then again, I don't feel if Chris Gragg went off to play for Texas he would have had any problem finding a job there in his post Texas days.  Damian Williams is still trying to make it in the NFL at this point, but I'm sure numerous USC boosters would be willing to help him out if he wanted to start a career.  He is also a great guy and very personable, so I'm sure he could come back to Arkansas and start a career as well.  It's more about how you carry yourself, education, experience and connections when you get in the working world. 

It's different at Arkansas. It's not boosters, it's everyone. Mom and pop shops, Wal Mart, McDonald's, Carl Lots, AP&L, everyone remembers Ex Hogs and wants the ones who represented the state and themselves well among their employees. There's nothing illegle and underhanded about it either. Go to school, do what you gotta do and you are set for life unless you're an immense dumbass, but that goes without saying
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

go hogues

Not necessarily. Arkansas has a tiny population, one state school (that everyone follows) and an abnormal amount of large corporations located within its borders. That can create a great combination for an athlete looking to further their career off the playing field.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: Hoggish1 on June 21, 2015, 08:36:22 pm

This is a Text Book Perfect Example! Think about the Nebraska players from Nebraska or came to play there and stayed there. They were treated very well from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

A great football player from KY? When he dies they may want his body for a museum?

rmcchris

The statement made in this thread is so true.  Also, go look at a lot of out of state kids that stay and are rewarded with jobs and great careers.  AR does take care of kids after football much more than some programs.  Proud of that.

Boarcephus

Quote from: rmcchris on June 22, 2015, 03:03:30 pm
The statement made in this thread is so true.  Also, go look at a lot of out of state kids that stay and are rewarded with jobs and great careers.  AR does take care of kids after football much more than some programs.  Proud of that.

Quinn Grovey and Cannon Whitby are two examples of out of state kids that companies in Arkansas has taken care of.   Walmart hire Grovey after his football career ended and Tyson took care of Whitby. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jesterzzn

Quote from: yraciv on June 21, 2015, 12:54:40 pm
I highly believe this is a misconception.

No good post ever began with "I highly believe..."

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 22, 2015, 03:23:16 pm
Quinn Grovey and Cannon Whitby are two examples of out of state kids that companies in Arkansas has taken care of.   Walmart hire Grovey after his football career ended and Tyson took care of Whitby.

Tony Bua wasn't as fortunate.

Bua decided he'd impart the wisdom of his own collegiate and professional experiences onto other aspiring athletes, opening Bua's Next Level Training in Rogers, Arkansas, in 2007.

Bua relocated to Dallas/Ft. Worth in 2011 where he married his wife, Taylor. After struggling to find work, he quickly fell back on a profession he swore he'd never consider: Roofing.

"I'd worked in the roofing industry since I was 14 because my dad owned a construction company," he said. "I carried up the bundles, laid the shingles and all that. The day I left for college I told myself I was never going to work in the roofing business again."

After a short stint in sales with two roofing companies, Bua reconsidered his vow to never work on the construction side of the roofing business. In 2012, Bua's Next Level Roofing was born.

jesterzzn

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on June 24, 2015, 01:38:48 pm
Tony Bua wasn't as fortunate.

Where do you think he got the money to start his business?  Opportunity was there for him, it just didn't work out.

And he did the smart thing, by the way.  Cut his losses and moved back home until his financials were worked out.  It's not like the guy is an old man, and if he wants to try his luck in business in Arkansas again he would be welcomed with open arms.

I know I'd hire Tony Bua to roof my house.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: jesterzzn on June 24, 2015, 01:56:17 pm
Where do you think he got the money to start his business?  Opportunity was there for him, it just didn't work out.

And he did the smart thing, by the way.  Cut his losses and moved back home until his financials were worked out.  It's not like the guy is an old man, and if he wants to try his luck in business in Arkansas again he would be welcomed with open arms.

I know I'd hire Tony Bua to roof my house.

I have no idea.  His short time in the NFL?  His family?  Jim Lindsey?  Don Tyson?  Jerry Jones?  The article simply points out he was struggling to find work several years after his playing days were over and resolved the issue by becoming self-employed.